• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

Arizato

I've never played FFXI and I don't really plan to do it. I am, however really interested in getting a story recap from the original game through all the expansions to the conclusion that came out recently. Is there any website or video series dedicated to a full story recap of FFXI?

Loona

I've never played FFXI and I don't really plan to do it. I am, however really interested in getting a story recap from the original game through all the expansions to the conclusion that came out recently. Is there any website or video series dedicated to a full story recap of FFXI?

Korvana's channel has every single cutscene in the game, with playlists covering individual mission lines: https://www.youtube.com/user/FFXITheMovie

Deadstar

Can someone explain why you can run out of stamina while in town or when out of combat? Who thought this was a good idea? It takes so long to get anywhere.

Edit: Thought this was the final fantasy XV thread....lol

Loona

Can someone explain why you can run out of stamina while in town or when out of combat? Who thought this was a good idea? It takes so long to get anywhere.

How so? There's some form of fishing and harvesting/mining fatigue, but nothing that specific to travel that I recall.

What exactly is happening?

Maybe some button got pressed that changed the movement mode from running to walking?

Loona

According to quite a few reports, this week's campaign mostly translates into the dragon bosses in the Escha zones and Reisenjima dropping gear from every other NM in their zone, although the rates of that happening haven't always been nice to everyone.

Took a crack at Escha-Zi'tah, but I keep dying there, and I don't do much better with the tier 1 NMs once those fights are done - I was hoping to get vorseals or gear that would help me with further wins, but looks like my BLU isn't quite up for it - considering taking my MNK, which has more job points on it and better gear, but according to a lot of people nowadays that's not much of an idea...

Might have to join the crowd at Reisenjima, although I was hoping to work my way up this thing...

ZetaEpyon

Might have to join the crowd at Reisenjima, although I was hoping to work my way up this thing...

Ironically, even in the absence of crowds, Quetzalcoatl is probably the easiest of the dragons, and Azi Dahaka the most difficult. Makes no sense at all, but it is what it is.

Ricck

Dragons die in less than a minutes, there's way to much people on Asura. Anyways. you get drops for dying and doing nothing so, I wouldn't worry about it since, if you're alone you're not gonna get much evaluation

Loona

Dragons die in less than a minutes, there's way to much people on Asura. Anyways. you get drops for dying and doing nothing so, I wouldn't worry about it since, if you're alone you're not gonna get much evaluation

Not all of us are on Asura - and I certainly hope SE addresses that server imbalance in the near future, word-of-mouth on the matter will only make the difference between it and the others worse over time.

Only tried Azi Dahaka repeatedly yesterday and there weren't that many people on it. Took a crack at Naga Raja the prior day with more people and success, if no drops then, but will probably focus on that one again today, maybe it'll drops something handy for my BLU, like a 2nd 119 sword. I really wanted the Rawhide Gloves from Zi'tah though, all of that Blue Magic skill...

I guess if that doesn't work out, the following days will be for Reisenjima and Quetsalcoatl with everyone else, maybe that'll help make the tier 1 NMs on Zi'tah soloable...

ZetaEpyon

I don't know how truly feasible doing the dragon event will be for getting specific gear that you need. Over probably 100-125 kills total over the last day and a half or so, I'd say I've gotten 6-8 pieces of gear, so the drop rate seems fairly low in general. If you're looking for a specific item, that just compounds it.

With that said, it's still worth doing. My main objective was beads for my next Aeonic key item, but you'll also rank up a few vorseals with more kills, and those help tremendously in Escha zones. And of course you can still always luck out and get a cool item or something. :)

Personally, I like being on a low population server, because the competition for things and congestion for instanced areas is much lower. I can't even fathom doing Ambuscade on Asura during a popular month; the waiting and turnaround time must be truly god-awful. I imagine that the low population is a lot more detrimental without a solid linkshell core to get things done, though.

ZetaEpyon

Ah ya for queues it can take some time, was just talking about parties.

Oh, yeah, I don't ever do shout parties really, just run with linkshell people. About the only time we have a queue at all is during the transition between late North American prime time and early Japan times. Other than that, it's pretty much clear sailing with instant entry.

Some of those months, we were doing 10 minute total run time for Intense Very Difficult, including the time to go out and get the key item.

Loona

Found a neat little FFXI video to the sound of Namco X Capcom's music - I liked the editing and the scenes it highlights, even if it only goes as far at wing of the Goddess, so I figured I'd share:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXtQ5XO0pQo

BTW, there's an incoming update on the 10th:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/52059

There's a suspicion that the "Adjust prices of certain items when sold to an NPC" applies to sparks gear, but I wonder if it might be an adjustment to take into account AH prices and changes brought by the Curio Moogle vendors...

ZetaEpyon

BTW, there's an incoming update on the 10th:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/52059

There's a suspicion that the "Adjust prices of certain items when sold to an NPC" applies to sparks gear, but I wonder if it might be an adjustment to take into account AH prices and changes brought by the Curio Moogle vendors...

My guess is that it's related to this:

Square-Enix on Feb. 2 said:
We have confirmed an issue with the following NPCs, so they have been temporarily deleted.

- NPC "Dominion Tactician" at Abyssea - Altepa
- NPC "Dominion Tactician" at Abyssea - Uleguerand
- NPC "Dominion Tactician" at Abyssea - Grauberg

We will make an announcement later regarding when the NPCs will be available again.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing.

Loona

Is now a good time to join the game?

Yeah - travel and leveling are faster than ever, and the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel story missions you can start playing through right from the start can get you a lot of benefits as you progress through them.
Add to that the ability to acquire NPC party members to cover all sorts of roles, and 15 years of content can be played through almost like one of the single-player FFs if you're so inclined.

Taruranto

Personally, I like being on a low population server, because the competition for things and congestion for instanced areas is much lower. I can't even fathom doing Ambuscade on Asura during a popular month; the waiting and turnaround time must be truly god-awful. I imagine that the low population is a lot more detrimental without a solid linkshell core to get things done, though.

As someone who moved from a low pop server to Asura, I don't think it's particularly true. If anything, I found the queues much bigger on the low pop server because a lot of people are dual-boxers/soloers (Not that they don't exist on Asura) and most casual players are bottle-necked into Ambu due to the lack of alternatives.

On Asura people are much more spread out and there are always shouts for all kind of activities, even old events like Vagary and Delve, so people don't feel forced to do Ambu and only Ambu.

For new/returning players going to Asura is pretty much mandatory at this point, it would be impossible or extremely hard to do some old events otherwise.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So I reactivated my FFXI account yesterday, deleted my Sylph character (sorry!) and started a new one on Odin. Since I'm in the JST timezone after looking at the numbers that seemed to be the best server to go. While I'd love to be in the same LS as most people here, I solo most of the stuff anyway, so having a more active server seems like a better choice for me.
C4zEmqMUkAA9hIS.jpg
Started out and was killed twice(!) on the first field, thanks to one strong mob. I don't remember areas next to Bastok being this dangerous.
Also, what's with those quiz boxes. I spend more time looking at the hints then actually fighting, but the rewards are so good, that it would be a waste to not get them.
Ended the day at level 5. Next time I'm playing I'll look into Trusts and will start RoE.

Loona

So I reactivated my FFXI account yesterday, deleted my Sylph character (sorry!) and started a new one on Odin. Since I'm in the JST timezone after looking at the numbers that seemed to be the best server to go. While I'd love to be in the same LS as most people here, I solo most of the stuff anyway, so having a more active server seems like a better choice for me.

Started out and was killed twice(!) on the first field, thanks to one strong mob. I don't remember areas next to Bastok being this dangerous.
Also, what's with those quiz boxes. I spend more time looking at the hints then actually fighting, but the rewards are so good, that it would be a waste to not get them.

Ended the day at level 5. Next time I'm playing I'll look into Trusts and will start RoE.

A few years ago they added at least a ram NM to East Ronfaure, which was a bit odd, IIRC for a hunts system that never really got that much focus, maybe that's what gave you trouble?

Did you already get the initial Rhapsodies cutscene and started on the nation missions?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
A few years ago they added at least a ram NM to East Ronfaure, which was a bit odd, IIRC for a hunts system that never really got that much focus, maybe that's what gave you trouble?

Did you already get the initial Rhapsodies cutscene and started on the nation missions?
Yes (that was confusing and unexpected) and not yet.

Even though West Ronfaure is the superior Ronfaure anyway, I never liked that Ram they added to East Ronfaure.

To me, making it to La Theine Plateau, probably the first new field zone you'd try and explore when starting out, running around, not really knowing what to expect, then suddenly the ground is rumbling and out of no-where a GIANT F**KING RAM IS RIGHT THERE! WTF OMG etc is one of the coolest moment memories you can make in the game.

Having that dumb NM one for that system no one cares about just in a starter zone ruins it.

Mcdohl

Even though West Ronfaure is the superior Ronfaure anyway, I never liked that Ram they added to East Ronfaure.

To me, making it to La Theine Plateau, probably the first new field zone you'd try and explore when starting out, running around, not really knowing what to expect, then suddenly the ground is rumbling and out of no-where a GIANT F**KING RAM IS RIGHT THERE! WTF OMG etc is one of the coolest moment memories you can make in the game.

Having that dumb NM one for that system no one cares about just in a starter zone ruins it.

While true you have to understand FFXI has evolved and its new playerbase is probably very low. So they make compromises in favor of QoL for its aging playerbase who are no longer wow'ed by seeing Rams in La Thenie.

Loona

The FFXI subreddit is compiling memories and messages to be sent to the game's devs to celebrate XI's 15th aniversary in May, as well as any fan art or efforts that can be shared digitally and sent to the dev team:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/60p4uz/community_project_celebration_of_ffxis_15th/

Doesn't have to be from the subreddit only, of course. I ended up spending quite a bit of time writing mine... couldn't really reduce such a big game to a handful of lines and platitudes after all these years...

Loona

I hope to go back someday, do they get rid of Playonline yet?

It's still around, but stuff like creating the account and managing payments is handled through the Square Enix account site, so PlayOnline itself is only used to log in nowadays - the devs mentioned on the Reddit AMA that they cut down a lot of structural dependencies the game itself had on PO, although it's still used as a launcher.

Loona

There's going to be an event celebrating XI's 15h anniversary:

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201705/01132260.html

I'm not sure who those people are or what will actually happen in the livestream, but the illustration in the article is nice - the half with the established characters has been part of a wallpaper released in 2015, but the part with player character is new to me, and a nice touch.

Taruranto

The FFXI subreddit is compiling memories and messages to be sent to the game's devs to celebrate XI's 15th aniversary in May, as well as any fan art or efforts that can be shared digitally and sent to the dev team:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/60p4uz/community_project_celebration_of_ffxis_15th/

Doesn't have to be from the subreddit only, of course. I ended up spending quite a bit of time writing mine... couldn't really reduce such a big game to a handful of lines and platitudes after all these years...

Too bad I only saw it now. I hope I wasn't too late. Ended up putting my very fist character's name (From 2005-2009) since it's the one I have the fondest memories.

I miss Vana'Diel, sometimes I still check the forums. I don't think I'll ever stop.

Loona

May update announced: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/52559

That in itself isn't that extraordinary, but one of the items is interesting, namely Free Trial:
Raise level cap

AFAIK currently only Japan has access to free trials, which haven't been available for the rest of the world for some time now - this might be related to XIV's recent tweaks to its own free trials, and now i can't help but wonder if they'll bring trials back for the rest of the world, since they're getting a bit of attention again...

Boss Mog

No Return to Vana'diel this month? It's usually every May and November. Was looking forward to playing a bit, guess not...

mstevens

I'm about to boot this game up for the first time. Anyone feel like running through a starting area with me? Would be nice to have company, especially someone who knows how the game works!

I'm about to boot this game up for the first time. Anyone feel like running through a starting area with me? Would be nice to have company, especially someone who knows how the game works!

damn... I'm out on the road and don't have XI install on my laptop, other wise I definitely would join you if you're on my server. what server you on and what nation and race would you be playing?

What server? I just downloaded the trial (well, it's installing) and I'm thinking about playing on Asura because that's where the most English speaking players are according to Reddit. I'm new too but I've done a little bit of research. Thinking about going Thief on the trial and if I have fun I'll grab the $10 pack and switch to Dancer.

If we're on the same server I'll play with you :) although to be honest I'm just messing with FFXI while I wait for the FF14 expansion. I've always heard good things about the story so that's mostly what I'm here for.

edit: Play Online seems like it would've been fucking awesome. This thing is nuts lol. Kinda convoluted with the merger with Square Enix accounts but still.

edit 2:
2bfb1245e4.png
oh

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Decided to revisit the game after having not played since the BST nerf back in CoP. Despite not playing FFXI for all that long compared to a lot of other people, to this day it's the MMO that I have the fondest memories of.

Looking forward to actually playing, seeing all the changes, and revisiting old haunts. =) I guess there's no way to speed up the 6 hour update before playing? =S

Top Bottom