• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII debuts on Xbox Game Pass tomorrow

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had the demo that came with the Advent Children Bluray and I beat the PS3 import many years ago in Japanese. I also have the official poster set. Almost splurged for the Potion drinks. I never bothered beating the English version. As much as I wanted to like XIII, it never clicked. Everything from XII and before it clicked. I bought these games on 360 and Steam (X-2 and Lightning Returns). My adoration for Final Fantasy didn’t grow beyond XIII. Even though it has great graphics and cool monster designs. The lack of towns and random NPCs really killed it for me. XV about drove the nail in the coffin. I guess I am more of an old school Final Fantasy fan. That and whatever action games take place in this universe (SoP and XVI) look cool. Here I thought I had a good version on Steam.

ManaByte

FFXV was worse
the rock spit GIF by WWE

nordique

We remember...

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

classic and appropriate

borborygmus

This game is like a hot girl that bores you to death.
People say it looks good but while it has high quality assets, the art style is not very good. The world and characters look implausible even for fiction. The music is not very memorable and I daresay Hamauzu sucks and has no feel/ear for melody (I hated his work on FF7 REmake too, although I'm aware this is controversial). The story almost entirely consists of made-up jargon that gets explained retroactively after tens of hours of repetition. It's all like L'Cie, Fal'cie in ways that aren't even internally consistent until later revelations of how the logic of this actually works (the characters ought to know it already, but the player is left in the dark). The battle system is extremely tedious and even garbage enemies you've fought a hundred times take forever to kill. It's game over if your main party member dies. Almost all the story events consist of shouting someone's name, falling off ledges, cringey melodramatic exposition with lots of tears but no substance.

The game system is arbitrarily locked for most of the game. You get a drip feed of basic game mechanics over many, many, many hours until there is finally a little bit more than endless corridors, but it's simply not enough.

The pre-release marketing for the game was about how they got Leona Lewis to do the theme song, and about how they were inspired by Toyota.

There is nothing good about this game.

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
What a waste of such and incredible looking game and art style.

i didn’t mind the linearity but the story was such a clusterfuck I couldn’t continue playing.

Teslerum

Enjoyed XIII-2 the most, but really good, underrated game.

Never get the story is confusing comments. Not that it doesn't have problems at times, but it's really nowhere near as hard to figure out as people make it out to be. Most of it can easily be figured out by context, even if there wasn't a internal codex at the ready.

cireza

Banned
Terrible game. I bought the two sequels earlier this year since I listened to people saying they are better. Never again.
The first game does not offer many possibilities in terms of progression and gameplay, but XIII-2 and Lightning Returns are absolutely fantastic on that regard. LR is probably my favorite battle system in a J-RPG. Such an awesome, open game.

ClosBSAS

so...is this the xbox 360 version on gamepass or is it the one that was fixed for xbox one x with full quaility fmvs?

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Is this the "Destiny is Destiny" one?
Good choice by SE to spread out the games so that each release will get better engagement with subscribers.

It would be if Square was smart enough to bring those pixel remasters of the earlier games to it, but Square make boneheaded decisions sometimes.
I'm definitely still getting those for Switch. Those old games are perfect for handheld. But yeah, Xbox definitely has the advantage on the XIII trilogy at least.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This game has the best battle system in the series. And one of the best soundtracks.

I wish we would get another iteration of the battle system in a game with better characters and writing.

Kilau

Gold Member
It would be if Square was smart enough to bring those pixel remasters of the earlier games to it, but Square make boneheaded decisions sometimes.
Feel like they are trying to get one of the system holders to fork out for exclusivity.

Top Bottom