• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Endwalker |OT|

Just finished the MSQ. What an amazing ride. I would have finished it by Monday but I was doing most sidequests as well as reading everything I possibly could because this expansion is just filled to the brim with lore and revelations. Loved it.
That said, it's not perfect, but it's essentially two expansion's worth of story so I found it easier to overlook the downsides than I did in ShB. IMO the 'worst' part of Endwalker is its pacing which, again, is due to its length. There's nothing in Endwalker that is insultingly silly and/or stupid like building the giant Talos through the power of friendship, so that alone places it above ShB in my eyes lol. Edit: On second thought, the moon's purpose is kinda silly but it isn't actually utilized so whatever.

But yeah, it's a real bittersweet feeling finishing a story you've invested 8 years in. I'm just sitting here in Zone 6 listening to the music over and over...

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Just finished it tonight. Been a wild ride since the alpha version pre-1.0. Endwalker exceeded all my expectations, though there were a few rough spots. The second round through Labyrinthos was a touch rough, especially with the zone music replaced by that one song on a 60 second loop. But this is minor stuff compared to everything else. They did an amazing job tying up everything and paving a path forward to something entirely new. Can’t wait.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Only 5 reviews right now but

Screenshot-2021-12-09-082248.png

YukiOnna

Just finished it. Played from 11AM to 7AM now (with a nap).

What an amazing journey and expansion. From beginning to end, everything had meaning. So many happy moments, emotional moments, epic moments. Like Zenos and Venat ask you It was fulfilling and I definitely enjoyed the adventure.

That very final battle will sit with me for a while. It's something that I've been hoping for since it was set up in 4.5

Now to go work on a new job for that'll serve as my main for the next saga.

Last edited:
Man, the Grubhub app is a mess lol. It kept giving me an "unknown error" when I was trying to place my order. Thankfully it finally went through but I don't think I'll be using this app after the XIV promo. Hopefully there are no problems with the code delivery next Friday...

On an unrelated note, I finally got my hands on this damn thing.
PWD7acT.jpg

The FATE simply did not want to pop in one of Leviathan's instances... we were all slowly going crazy in there waiting for it lol. Still, it's not as bad as it was when Stormblood launched. There was only one instance and you needed to kill Ixion with a Gold rating FOUR times (as opposed to two, like it is now)
Edit: I misremembered the amount of instances in Stormblood. There were three, as is common practice for expansion launches

Last edited:
so, since I was using WHM on the MSQ it's already maxed while I'm still only at around the 4th area. figured I would go level my PLD a little today so I can use it for the rest of MSQ. got it to level 81.8 or so with roulettes so I thought I'd go try out some of the FATEs in the new areas. I ended up getting 2.2 levels on my PLD in about 3.25 hrs. I'm mostly running it in the area with level 80 to 85 FATEs and each one is giving me anywhere from 230k to 370k xp. even got one finished with 400k xp once I think. plus u earn some bicolor gemstones, so that's nice.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

just finished it. what a ride. Yoshida not kidding when he said there is more number of cutscene compared to Shb. it topped Shadowbringers for me. about the slow pace, Yoshida already said that the beginning gonna start slow so im not suprise. only complaint is
it is kind of letdown how Zodiark fight merely a plot device. i expecting it gonna play big role since it is Zodiark, an entity that being teased hard since beginning. also Zenos, still dissapointed to me. i expect they make the character more meaningfull, fix his Stormblood issue but he actually not having much screentime and remain same character with tiny character development. it is a shame because that last fight would be much better if not for his weak writing prior to Stormblood

the music..... Soken did it again. damn.

the que number is crazy but thankfully there is world visit system available. but now, im stuck at other world unable to return due to crazy number que time. i see tons of <wanderer> waiting on que at aethryte plaza lol.

Last edited:

Valonquar

Cleared storyline. Have Paladin, Reaper, Sage, and Miner at 90 now. Starting on a crafter so I can self meld again.

Sub_Level

Did my first ever Extreme trial! And oh boy did I pick a doozy:
Zodiark

Wiped for a good 6 hours with various party finder groups. Finally found one where someone knew how to dodge the 2nd half mechanics. I fully understand the waffle iron part now, but my brain never understood the rotating snakes + fire wall at the same time. I fully admit I got carried. It was also the first time I've done tank swapping as a necessary mechanic which was very fun.

Cleared it 5 times for the totems and ended up with 3 pieces of best-in-slot Eternal Dark gear. This is the first time I've done endgame content for an MMO while it was still fresh :D

Valonquar

Got all crafters to 90 yesterday. Super fast with a combo of leves and collectible turn-ins. Just botanist and fisher left to finish off the non-battle classes. Going to start on DNC 80~90 next...after a few hours camping the Chi fate today.

Sub_Level

So we all agree the funniest part of the MSQ was

Zenos popping in at the last minute and wondering why you
haven't killed the final boss yet?

Animated GIF

Got all crafters to 90 yesterday. Super fast with a combo of leves and collectible turn-ins. Just botanist and fisher left to finish off the non-battle classes. Going to start on DNC 80~90 next...after a few hours camping the Chi fate today.

I saw a video of that spawn and it looked 5fps lol

YukiOnna

So we all agree the funniest part of the MSQ was

Zenos popping in at the last minute and wondering why you
haven't killed the final boss yet?

Animated GIF

I saw a video of that spawn and it looked 5fps lol
Yeah I loved that lmao. It was nice to have some assurance there and not people worrying

Also what is the Chi FATE? Is that the one for the TV mount?

YukiOnna

Probably the best part of the MSQ. Big Bowser energy there.

Plus Zenos is the 3rd Tank and carries the party through the whole fight. Lots of people hate Zenos but I love him.
He's great. He goes on an opposite journey and comes to his own conclusion and serves as WoL's first and last understander for something no one else can provide. A perfect foil, but I am someone who is in sync with my WoL so characters like Zenos or Emet affect me a lot.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
He's great. He goes on an opposite journey and comes to his own conclusion and serves as WoL's first and last understander for something no one else can provide. A perfect foil, but I am someone who is in sync with my WoL so characters like Zenos or Emet affect me a lot.
Zenos to me in relation to the WoL feels like a how Guts is to Zodd in BERSERK with a touch of Griffith I might add. Zenos is a Blood Knight archetype which in games like this those are pretty rare. Plus I don't think this is the end of Zenos yet as he didn't dissipate into Aether. I think it's purposely left open to interpreatation but since he is Shinryu he can traverse dimensions at will.

Emet Selch and Zenos are easily the best characters in this expansion so far. Zenos in particular was all about his own self reflection and you get a whole lot of characterization on Pre-Garlean Emet Selch who acts rather similarly to Raistlin Majere of Dragonlance fame particularly being very wise, sassy as hell and a powerful wizard.

As for the actual villains of the xpac I quite like Meteion and the original Meteion is implied to still be alive so I'm hoping we get more of her. Very charming character. As for Hermes...worst villain to date they ever came up with. The cringe is real with him.

I can't wait to see what other bosses we have to fight. It's good to remember that Shadowbringers had Hades as a final boss but later we got Elidibus as the FF1 Warrior of Light. The fun isn't over yet I don't think.

All that said. I look forward to Pandemonium.

Thus far it is looking like Reaper is the best class of the expansion to play. VERY STRONG and VERY VERSATILE.

YukiOnna

Zenos to me in relation to the WoL feels like a how Guts is to Zodd in BERSERK with a touch of Griffith I might add. Zenos is a Blood Knight archetype which in games like this those are pretty rare. Plus I don't think this is the end of Zenos yet as he didn't dissipate into Aether. I think it's purposely left open to interpreatation but since he is Shinryu he can traverse dimensions at will.

Emet Selch and Zenos are easily the best characters in this expansion so far. Zenos in particular was all about his own self reflection and you get a whole lot of characterization on Pre-Garlean Emet Selch who acts rather similarly to Raistlin Majere of Dragonlance fame particularly being very wise, sassy as hell and a powerful wizard.

As for the actual villains of the xpac I quite like Meteion and the original Meteion is implied to still be alive so I'm hoping we get more of her. Very charming character. As for Hermes...worst villain to date they ever came up with. The cringe is real with him.

I can't wait to see what other bosses we have to fight. It's good to remember that Shadowbringers had Hades as a final boss but later we got Elidibus as the FF1 Warrior of Light. The fun isn't over yet I don't think.

All that said. I look forward to Pandemonium.

Thus far it is looking like Reaper is the best class of the expansion to play. VERY STRONG and VERY VERSATILE.
Honestly, you're on the dot about Guts/Zodd comparison. Given Yoshi-P and much of the XIV team are Berserk fans, it wouldn't surprise me if Ishikawa and him took inspiration from that. Even if Zenos passed, much like Emet, Venat, Hythlodaeus, etc. I don't think it's the last we'll see of them and it's another important death WoL carry for entirely personal reasons and he was 100% Ishikawa's character like Emet. But like you said who knows, there's a lot you can interpret from those final scenes and fight. WoL was absolutely ready to die there for the sake of their thrill.

Agreed. His role as a villain ends after your conversation with him on the Moon and his name changes to viator, there's a lot of subtleties there and Emet's personality and his disbelief over what he eventually becomes was a great way to chart out his path.

Meteion is precious and tragic. Tied to the core message and themes of this expansion in a great way.

I am curious how the structure of dungeons and trials will go this time around since the Expansion story ended with 6.0. Will 6.3 still have a major trial? will we visit some surprise new areas? who knows how the new saga will start out.

Ended up watching the two EX's, surprised at how forgiving they look. Think I might just do them after the post story dungeons.

Sub_Level

Ended up watching the two EX's, surprised at how forgiving they look. Think I might just do them after the post story dungeons.

If you have someone who knows how to do the rotation + fire wall + snake parts then trial 1 is a lot more manageable. We would often end the mid-fight DPS check with over 20 remaining on the bar, but I was in another group where we'd fail that check half the time or barely squeak by with 1 or 2 remaining. So ymmv but I guess thats party finder for you.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They are MSQ fights. The EX versions I feel are likely easier to draw in new players. I feel like the first one is to train players to tackle fights like Neo Exdeath which is also mechanic heavy.

The 2nd one is incredibly basic I think?

YukiOnna

If you have someone who knows how to do the rotation + fire wall + snake parts then trial 1 is a lot more manageable. We would often end the mid-fight DPS check with over 20 remaining on the bar, but I was in another group where we'd fail that check half the time or barely squeak by with 1 or 2 remaining. So ymmv but I guess thats party finder for you.
Yeah, with PF and even DU it all depends on who you're thrown in with. Some will pick it up, some won't. But as long as there's someone carrying it, it should not be too bad.
They are MSQ fights. The EX versions I feel are likely easier to draw in new players. I feel like the first one is to train players to tackle fights like Neo Exdeath which is also mechanic heavy.

The 2nd one is incredibly basic I think?
I think it was during a media tour interview, but they said they lowered the ceiling a little further than what they already did with SHB for Endwalker when it comes to EX and Savage. It's closer to Innocence than something like Seat of Sacrifice (at least I still find that one confusing). I just wish they made it so people couldn't straight up skip certain mechanics.

Trial 2 is really easy. The DPS check is a joke and you can have multiple deaths and just get through it. There is only one mechanic people tend to fail, but still nothing that would wipe everyone.

Sub_Level

So lets say I want to try my hand at Pandaemonium (Savage) when it drops weeks from now. To get ready now I figure I should get best-in-slot equips (so the Ex Trial Weapon + Ex Trial Accessories + Tomestone armor) but I got a couple noob questions

1. Is the fully upgraded relic weapon at all better than the EW ex trial weapon? The item level is way lower but IIRC you could manually allocate the relic weapon stats so just wondering.

2. Grade X materia in everything and Grade VIII next best thing, right? (I know some stats are more important depending on the job, have looked that up before). And then I guess overmeld any IX's I find onto equipment for bonus?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The new Trial weapon will be the best primarily because your main stat is higher and weapon damage means more then any stat in the game.

You'll want the trial weapon and the trial acc to prep for Pandemonium if Savage is what you are aiming for. Pandemonium normal will likely have gated gear to make Savage slightly easier.

Kumomeme

you guys remember the official artwork where Y'shtola playing fender guitar that revealed last May?

pkxrjyu1wr581.jpg

this illustration hit differently once we finished Endwalker. they already teased us since then. the main logo also might actually refer to something else than moon.

YukiOnna

The log-in issue is fixed, but we have another update on the ongoing congestion.

We are getting an additional 14 days of game time and they will be suspending sales of the Starter Edition and Complete Edition on top of registration of the free trial.

■ Additional Game Time Compensation

We are aware that the long waiting times to log into the game are preventing players from playing, and for this, we sincerely apologize. In response to this, we recently granted 7 days of game time, but now we will also be granting an additional 14 days.

This will apply to all players (including those with multiple accounts) who own the full version of the game and have an active subscription as of Tuesday, December 21, at 12:00 a.m. (PST), which is the scheduled release date for Patch 6.01. Further details regarding eligibility will be announced separately.

■ Suspending Delivery of Package Versions and Temporary Suspension of Digital Version Sales

Players are currently experiencing extremely long wait times due to the dense concentration of play hours which far exceed our server capacity, especially during the peak times, and so we have decided to temporarily suspend the sale and delivery of FINAL FANTASY XIV Starter Edition and Complete Edition. Additionally, although those with an active subscription are prioritized to log in, Free Trial players are unable to log in outside of late night and early morning hours, and so we will also temporarily suspend new registrations for the Free Trial.

lot more at the link that's worth reading such as about additional servers

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Back after two xpacs away. Doing Reaper now. After Dragoon those years back, I feel OP. I feel like I am doing more damage than anyone in parties even though I am still learning the rotation and have the starter gear.

Sub_Level

Back after two xpacs away. Doing Reaper now. After Dragoon those years back, I feel OP. I feel like I am doing more damage than anyone in parties even though I am still learning the rotation and have the starter gear.

You probably are doing more damage. From the DPS checker thing that people post, Monk, Reaper, and Samurai seem to edge out the competition.

you guys remember the official artwork where Y'shtola playing fender guitar that revealed last May?

pkxrjyu1wr581.jpg

this illustration hit differently once we finished Endwalker. they already teased us since then. the main logo also might actually refer to something else than moon.
Nice catch with the Yshtola art!

As for the logo, I'm 99% sure it's just Amano's interpretation of Sharlayan's ark going to the moon. They always ask him to make the logos and/or illustrations long before they finalize in-game designs. Here's a short read on his artistic process:

Edit: Also, yes, as someone who is currently putting a lot of time into Reaper, I 100% expect a potency nerf in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

Got my Eternal Dark accessories and I finally am confident in the fire wall + snakes without relying on other players. So fun and satisfying to learn that fight, its like doing a choreographed dance.

YukiOnna

Got my Eternal Dark accessories and I finally am confident in the fire wall + snakes without relying on other players. So fun and satisfying to learn that fight, its like doing a choreographed dance.
I'm going to try it today provided I'm not dead from work. Does it matter what side of the fire line you're on depending on if the arena rotates clockwise or counter clockwise?

Sub_Level

I'm going to try it today provided I'm not dead from work. Does it matter what side of the fire line you're on depending on if the arena rotates clockwise or counter clockwise?

Yes the side matters because it leaves behind a trail that burns 3/4ths the stage. Everyone's brain works differently but I just see it as looking opposite the arrow to see whats coming towards you. Sometimes you position right on the line. Sometimes you position in a corner and end up right on the line at the end. And btw taking damage from the fire in the latter scenario isn't an automatic game over, the party can mess up once. Couple tips:

1: no matter what direction the stage is going, the purple & pink glyphs will always stay in the same position. So if a pink glyph is on the left side you can automatically narrow down the correct solution to the right half of the stage. The glyphs stay in place no matter what kind of nonsense the boss is doing.

2: the constellation part is easy, just think of it like a book closing. Left is still left, right is still right, center is safe, but up is down, and down is up. And he will start doing something sneaky after the first dodge, so third dodge doesn't mean you are home free there is always a fourth followup. Some people damage the boss during this phase but my brain can't take it so I just fully focus on dodging lol

edit: or even better just see Mr. Happy's guide lol pretty nifty he does the book analogy

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Yes the side matters because it leaves behind a trail that burns 3/4ths the stage. Everyone's brain works differently but I just see it as looking opposite the arrow to see whats coming towards you. Sometimes you position right on the line. Sometimes you position in a corner and end up right on the line at the end. And btw taking damage from the fire in the latter scenario isn't an automatic game over, the party can mess up once. Couple tips:

1: no matter what direction the stage is going, the purple & pink glyphs will always stay in the same position. So if a pink glyph is on the left side you can automatically narrow down the correct solution to the right half of the stage. The glyphs stay in place no matter what kind of nonsense the boss is doing.

2: the constellation part is easy, just think of it like a book closing. Left is still left, right is still right, center is safe, but up is down, and down is up. And he will start doing something sneaky after the first dodge, so third dodge doesn't mean you are home free there is always a fourth followup. Some people damage the boss during this phase but my brain can't take it so I just fully focus on dodging lol

edit: or even better just see Mr. Happy's guide lol pretty nifty he does the book analogy

Thanks for the video.

I actually got the constellation portion easily, but since I have trouble visualizing things the fireline paradiegma is what confuses me. The method of elimination + picturing that it goes in an X shape is how I interpret it. The diagram from Mr Happy helps.

Kumomeme

Nice catch with the Yshtola art!

As for the logo, I'm 99% sure it's just Amano's interpretation of Sharlayan's ark going to the moon. They always ask him to make the logos and/or illustrations long before they finalize in-game designs. Here's a short read on his artistic process:
interesting. also in 6.0 Job Action trailer they showcase tank using LB3. kind of like teaser over the final fight lol.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

Blind progged Trial #2 Ex last night for a few hours. What a doozy, wew. It has more simple mechanics than Trial #1, but the responsibility is more evenly spread among the group instead of relying on one person. Everyone has to know all the mechanics to pass. And you don't need discord but more pre-fight communication is needed to say who goes where at certain points.

Progress was made, however. Made my own learning party and the first phase is completely down pat. Just need to perfect the wave portion. I understand the idea (each crystal is exclusive to a role) but the execution is lacking. I'll get that bitch :)

Looks like GrubHub actually delivered. Was expecting a shitshow with these codes because of all the errors when trying to apply the promo code and such
HgQ6gHe.jpg

Also, has anyone on PC tried out the Spatial Sound thing they introduced with 6.0? I decided to finally give it a go and have mixed feelings about it. The actual spatial/surround sound works great, but I hate what it does to "buff" sound effects, because they now sound muffled. I'm hoping the sound driver update next week will fix it. That said, it really isn't a necessary addition to the gameplay experience... but it certainly sounds nice.

95mellow

Looks like GrubHub actually delivered. Was expecting a shitshow with these codes because of all the errors when trying to apply the promo code and such
HgQ6gHe.jpg

Also, has anyone on PC tried out the Spatial Sound thing they introduced with 6.0? I decided to finally give it a go and have mixed feelings about it. The actual spatial/surround sound works great, but I hate what it does to "buff" sound effects, because they now sound muffled. I'm hoping the sound driver update next week will fix it. That said, it really isn't a necessary addition to the gameplay experience... but it certainly sounds nice.
Cute bunny :3

wvnative

FF14 fans: Heard for years this game is amazing, I haven't ignored it, but I've always been turned off by MMO's... But I can't keep ignoring the endless praise.

My question is: How accessible is the game? Is it solo friendly? Is it grindy? How difficult is it to just play the main story scenarios? Is the game overtly complex?

I'm starting to get really curious...

YukiOnna

FF14 fans: Heard for years this game is amazing, I haven't ignored it, but I've always been turned off by MMO's... But I can't keep ignoring the endless praise.

My question is: How accessible is the game? Is it solo friendly? Is it grindy? How difficult is it to just play the main story scenarios? Is the game overtly complex?

The game is quite accessible and it's easy to level. There's usually stuff like server wide EXP boosts for low population (although now... lol) and EXP Boost Earrings up to a certain level cap if you grab the LE to make life easier, but even then the EXP has been adjusted so that you are leveling from Main Scenario Quests to the cap of each expansion IIRC or close to it and if not you can jump into the Duty Roulette and grab some bonus EXP for running old content.

The Main Scenario is this games bread and butter so if you're just wanting to play that then absolutely go ahead although if you get addicted, you may find yourself doing a lot of the side stuff anyway. Dungeons, Trials and Raids are done with other people, but Shadowbringers and Endwalker allows you to do Dungeons with NPC's and it basically got a lot closer to a single player RPG in those two without spoiling too much. The game is not that difficult at all, there's a gradual increase in how mechanics are handled but they're quite forgiving even for optional Extreme versions. Of course there are still features and things that are MMO like because it is an MMO, so it's entirely up to you.

That said ARR (2.0) is a bit of a slog, but trust me it's worth going through. That's the only time and the pay off is worth it.

I think they suspended sales and free trial temporarily though, so you might not be able to get in?

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

I'm pretty much the same as you. Don't like most MMOs. Basically as long as you never change classes, you never have to grind. The story quests basically give you enough XP to carry you.

However there are other ways to level so if you do want to experiment than you'll be fine if you want to, you can.

The game is absolutely solo friendly. I pretty only play with my AI chocobo which gets me by. There are times when you need to party up, but it's a painless affair. The game has a great matchmaking feature and the community is generally pretty friendly.

The main game isn't hard at all. Story dungeons and bosses are kind of easy. There are harder versions that unlock, but they're optional. I've only dabbled in those and they're tough but not overwhelmingly so. Honestly if you're looking for a challenge this isnt the game for you. It's pretty low stress.

The main draw for me is the story and characters. The writing is dense. This game probably has the most story out of any game I've ever played by a long shot. It's pretty great stuff. Does a great job of balancing hype bombastic moments with quiet character moments, as well as moments where the game pulls back and let's the world tell a story.

The characters are fantastic. So many characters that I've come to enjoy and love. And I'm only halfway through stormblood so I a ways to go.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

One can happily play from lvl 1 to whatever the level cap is given the expansion they own. Unless things have changed since I have been away, you may need to occasionally have to queue up for a dungeon, but given the way Square Enix has designed the queuing system you won't have to wait long to find a group regardless of your level. The only barrier to advancement in those cases will be gear score, but if you proceed through the leveling content you'll get plenty of gear thrown your way so it shouldn't be an issue.

Enjoy! Best MMO on the market right now IMO.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Edit: Also, yes, as someone who is currently putting a lot of time into Reaper, I 100% expect a potency nerf in the coming weeks.
Reaper main. I expect potency nerfs. Reaper is very overtuned. Early fates are a fucking joke with Reaper. And I feel like I hit like a truck in most content. You can also lifesteal tank really well with a decent healer if the tank bites it with Arcane Crest, Bloodbath, 2nd Wind and Enshroud windows given the high potencies give massive HP returns in AoE fights with dungeon trash.

Potencies on skills are a bit misleading since you usually fight with a 10% buff at all times. So your typical 300 potency attack is actually 330. 520 would be 552.

I think top DPS goes something like Monk > Reaper > Samurai but they are all really interchangable.

Reaper is REALLY STRONG. And fun to boot.

Top Bottom