• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Patch 4.2 "Rise of a New Sun" trailer, releasing Jan 30

Blam

Release Date: January 30, 2018

Patch 4.2 "Rise of a New Sun" is the second major post-release content patch for Final Fantasy XIV's second expansion "Stormblood," which released in June 2017 for Windows PC, Steam, PlayStation 4, and Mac.

Main Contents:
Contents scheduled for 4.25 denoted in purple.

Main Scenario
: Rise of a New Sun
"Thanks to the Warrior of Light’s heroic deeds and Raubahn's long-awaited return, Ala Mhigo continues its steady march towards recovery. Yet there is no rest for the Scions of the Seventh Dawn, for the winds of trouble are blowing from the Far East, where an unexpected spark threatens to set the kindling of chaos ablaze. Can Doma survive the brewing firestorm to welcome the light of the new day?"

Raid: Omega: Sigmascape
The next tier of the Omega series raids will be the "Sigmascape." Garlond Ironworks continues to investigate the being known as Omega and why it has come to Hydaelyn with the help of the chocobo Alpha. The previous tier called "Deltascape" featured four battles against bosses from Final Fantasy V: Alte Roite, Catastrophe, Halycanos, and Exdeath himself. Those who challenged the Savage difficulty mode could take on Neo Exdeath. Details forthcoming...

Trial: Byakko - The Jade Stoa
"Legend tells of a peerless samurai who, at the behest of a king, ventured forth to drive a host of oni into the sea. Yet for all his strength, Tenzen could not do this alone, and so he turned to the Four Lords─greatest of the auspices─for assistance. Together they succeeded, and afterwards journeyed west, far from the realms of men, to live out their days in solitude. A faerie tale, perhaps...but often in such tales a kernel of truth can be found."

Dungeon: Hells' Lid
"Having found themselves in somewhat dire financial straits, the Scions of the Seventh Dawn are on the lookout for profitable ventures. Fortuitously, one appears to have presented itself: an anonymous missive from an individual seeking the aid of the warrior who laid low the Lord of the Revel. But before they will divulge the details, they would put your abilities to the proof. To wit, you are to venture into the hidden depths of Hells' Lid, a volcanic island once home to a host of oni─at least, according to ancient legend..."

Dungeon: The Fractal Continuum (Hard)
"The Fractal Continuum plays host to both technological marvels and chimerical horrors conceived through the unparalleled ingenuity of the Allagans. And while its facilities have remained dormant since a recent endeavor to salvage materials, Garlond Ironworks has detected a peculiar energy signature emanating from within. Few would dare even ponder what monstrosities yet stir within, but the Warrior of Light need not wonder. The Ironworks has beseeched their aid to investigate the resurgence of activity within the ancient Allagan museum."

(4.25) The Forbidden Land - Eureka Anemos
Eureka Anemos, refered to as the "Forbidden Land," will serve as a new type of content not wholly dissimilar to the Diadem. This content will be used for relic weapon gear progression. Details forthcoming...

The Feast: Crystal Tower Training Grounds
"In commemoration of the Eorzean Alliance's declaration of the dawning of the Seventh Astral Era, a grand melee is to be held. The chosen venue: new training grounds fashioned in the image of the highest reaches of the legendary Crystal Tower. In that ancient seat of power re-envisioned, the wolves gather for the Feast!
Form a PvP team of up to six players, utilize the specialized group chat function, and choose an insignia to represent the party. Compete against other teams in brand-new ranked matches.

Battles have been made shorter and more dynamic, and feature the new "Light Medal" effect that reduces damage taken as the number of medals held by a player drops. Adjustments have also been made to the UI, making it easier to see the number of medals held and status effects."

Beast Tribe Quests: The Ananta

"The Vira, one of the tribes of snake-like Ananta, have long supported the efforts of the Resistance by sending warriors to bolster their ranks. One such battlemaid is Alpa, the broodmother's daughter, who makes up for her lack of prowess in combat with her courage and ingenuity. She dreams of making a grand contribution to the Resistance, but many bizarre and perilous trials must be overcome before her plans can come to fruition."

(4.25) Sidestory: Even Further Hildibrand Adventures
In the prelude to Hildibrand's new adventure, Nashu Mhakaracca has tracked her missing companion to Kugane, where she happens upon a new mystery set to unfold. In Patch 4.25, the adventure will continue in full swing. Details forthcoming...

Glamour Dresser
"Inn rooms in each of the city-states and Kugane contain glamour dressers, which allow the conversion of clothing, weapons, and tools into glamours. Glamours held within the glamour dresser can be displayed simultaneously and applied as full ensembles, making it easier to choose the perfect outfit."

Fashion Report
A mysterious masked gentleman has come to the Gold Saucer and is issuing challenges─of the fashion variety. From combinations to colors, can you coordinate your way into his heart? Or will his barbed tongue leave your pride in shreds? Join heads with your fellow adventurers and strive for the heights of fine fashion!

Subaquatic Voyages
"Construct a submersible in your company workshop and hunt for hidden treasures in the depths of the ocean. Who knows what mysteries await?"

Performance Actions
"The bard action Performance receives a huge overhaul with an improved interface. New piano, lute, and fiddle tones allow for even more creative freedom!"

New Mounts
"Race across the skies swathed in divine winds on the auspicious kamuy, or unleash powerful buffets of air with the majestic true griffin. Your fellow adventurers are sure to be left dumbfounded when you arrive dangling from a magitek death claw.

Previous Updates:

A Realm Reborn (2013)
:
2.0: A Realm Reborn
2.1: A Realm Awoken
2.2: Through the Maelstrom
2.3: Defenders of Eorzea
2.4: Dreams of Ice
2.5: Before the Fall

Heavensward (2015):
3.0: Heavensward
3.1: As Goes Light, So Goes Darkness
3.2: The Gears of Change
3.3: Revenge of the Horde
3.4: Soul Surrender
3.5: The Far Edge of Fate

Stormblood (2017):
4.0: Stormblood
4.1: The Legend Returns
4.2: Rise of a New Sun

Patch 4.2 Official Website
: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/patch/4_2/

Pejo

FFXIV sure can put together a trailer.

I honestly wouldn't mind coming back to the game, but it's so off-putting that I have to do all the old content before I can touch the new stuff. I know I can pay extra for a "fast forward" but I think that's bullshit and won't support that type of thing.

Dunki

I honestly wouldn't mind coming back to the game, but it's so off-putting that I have to do all the old content before I can touch the new stuff. I know I can pay extra for a "fast forward" but I think that's bullshit and won't support that type of thing.
When Stormblood was released it took me like a month of intensive playing to get to the begining of stormblood. The amout of content this game has is fucking crazy. But storywise if you never experienced it its really worth it. The story, (after realm reborn)music and dungeon designs/mechanics are second to none in FFXIV. I finished Stormblood at release and stopped playing again but man this really makes me want to go back. Or maybe I should wait for the next addon to hit in 2 years. I dont know^^

Also if you take a story progression potion you will be sooo loast in the whole story that it will surely influence your enjoyment of the game.

royox

GHOST TRAIN!!!

KEFKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Stop thinking about this game as "another WoW" and think as "a Final Fantasy with MMO features". In FFXIV the story and the progression is a very important part of the game. There should be no rush to reach the new content as everything you never did is NEW for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom