• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT2| Y'all Need to Calm Down (Ultimate)

Ichabod

Banned
I haven't played since heavenward days but picked this game up again to play with my cousin. Is there still a fc on Ultros?

Dunki

Oh man since my best friend is suddendly enjoying FFXIV (took him 5 tries) I started again as well. Today i went a bit fishing finally completing the feast of famine quest. But man getting these rare fishes is a real pain. But even then it is an addicting game i really missed after finishing Stormblood. When he is done with the main story we will focus on the past Stormblood content to be ready for Shadowbreaker.^^

royox

Just got my Kyubi mount. I feel so good because it's my first "get all the EX mounts" mount...but somehow sad because now there's no reason for me to repeat Tsukuyomi or Shinryu EX never again T.T . I will miss them.

Shadowbringers seems really interesting, much more interesting than anything WoW has in store right now. I tried a bit of FFXIV over a year ago or so and it didn't really grab me that much. I don't know, might've been something about the combat system, a bit in regards to the questing and perhaps in some part the aesthetics.
Any recommendation for what'll make my experience better? Any expansions that add something extra? Or a specific place to level up? A specific job or a threshold in terms of levels? I want to like it, especially as an almost life-long FF fan. But coming from WoW it just seemed lacking for me at that time.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Shadowbringers seems really interesting, much more interesting than anything WoW has in store right now. I tried a bit of FFXIV over a year ago or so and it didn't really grab me that much. I don't know, might've been something about the combat system, a bit in regards to the questing and perhaps in some part the aesthetics.
Any recommendation for what'll make my experience better? Any expansions that add something extra? Or a specific place to level up? A specific job or a threshold in terms of levels? I want to like it, especially as an almost life-long FF fan. But coming from WoW it just seemed lacking for me at that time.

2.0 (The base game) is very slow and a major roadblock for many. You get very few spells until later levels making the game seem much slower than it really is. I would say stick with out until you start reaching the post 2.0 patch stories (around 2.2-2.3). From there the story really starts picking up, you have plenty of spells and abilities to make combat far more entertaining, and you will be playing some of the best FInal Fantasy content since pre-FFXIII.

I would highly suggest you skip doing side quests (save them for other jobs) and simply play through the story up to 2.2. The way they are balanced, you can level a new character only using the main story line quests with little issue.

Last edited:

royox

No special place to level up, just follow the Main Scenario Quest (the main story) and that will level you up and unlock 90% of the game content (Dungeons, raids, trials, alliances, etc).

And as you have been already told, the game has a slow start, you have few skills and makes the game feel "slow", but it's not, at high levels you will have loads of skills to use, lots of them instant that have to be used between two "Global CD" skills so you won't have a second to breathe if you are a melee dps :) .

As for what job to play Larry did a perfect job with this vid:

Also...if you think FFXIV combat is slow please watch some High End rotation Footage for the Melee classes :3

Ninja

Dragoon

Monk

Last edited:
2.0 (The base game) is very slow and a major roadblock for many. You get very few spells until later levels making the game seem much slower than it really is. I would say stick with out until you start reaching the post 2.0 patch stories (around 2.2-2.3). From there the story really starts picking up, you have plenty of spells and abilities to make combat far more entertaining, and you will be playing some of the best FInal Fantasy content since pre-FFXIII.

I would highly suggest you skip doing side quests (save them for other jobs) and simply play through the story up to 2.2. The way they are balanced, you can level a new character only using the main story line quests with little issue.

No special place to level up, just follow the Main Scenario Quest (the main story) and that will level you up and unlock 90% of the game content (Dungeons, raids, trials, alliances, etc).

And as you have been already told, the game has a slow start, you have few skills and makes the game feel "slow", but it's not, at high levels you will have loads of skills to use, lots of them instant that have to be used between two "Global CD" skills so you won't have a second to breathe if you are a melee dps :) .

Also...if you think FFXIV combat is slow please watch some High End rotation Footage for the Melee classes :3

Thanks for the feedback, but it's not really the lack of spells in itself that I felt hampered the experience. Some of the movement didn't have that nice smoothness that you find in WoW, which made it feel like a bit of a floaty stiffness (sounds contradictory, I know, but closest way I could explain it). The quests weren't that exciting, but maybe that's just how it is in the start, I suppose. One possible reason is that graphic design or at least the art of the place I was leveling seemed a little drab and boring. I think the more stylized look of WoW has helped it a lot, leading to very contrasted zones and less focus on detail in itself.

I did feel that I really didn't feel the sense of class/job identity and that the skills really didn't seem fun or exciting to me. I don't think speed in itself is an important thing, but a sense of play and of identity through abilities. Like the videos posted seem fast, but because everything is so big and constant it seems a bit same-y and boring. Having pauses or low point/less impactful and flashy abilities feels important to me in terms of both distinguishing classes and making gameplay feel more varied. That and less attack focused abilities, perhaps really situational abilities and of course a general. Now, it's Final Fantasy, so I expect flashiness, but that's usually been a part of a mix in a normal FF game. I even played a bit of FFXI, which certainly had a lot of slow combat and not that much abilities directly in terms of active attacking abilities in the start, but in which you had more typical traditional attacking.
I think the "Basically, which Job do I play" was a better show than the various rotation videos there, allowing classes to seem more distinct and seeming way less busy. Can you explain that? It really confuses me in regards how they will play.

Now, I know this might seem very negative, but I am intending to start a month of FFXIV again, because the concept of Shadowbringer seems really interesting and more interesting than anything WoW has practically done (outside of the Warbringers, especially Jaina's, BFA has failed in terms of most of the story in-game, like pointlessly bringing up Daelin and Jaina's regret, only to culminate into "Jaina did nothing wrong", which in context never made sense or was it executed well). Doesn't help that WoW has regressed in terms of gameplay as well and utterly destroyed most class design, which is why FFXIV seemed interesting to try out again. The job system is also an interesting thing for me.

So, will follow your guys' advice and come back and ask if there's something I'm wondering about and give my impression after trying a month. Might have to wait until next month though.

royox

Having pauses or low point/less impactful and flashy abilities feels important to me in terms of both distinguishing classes and making gameplay feel more varied.

Most of the dps jobs have 2 phases:
the "charging up" phase when you are using your skills with phase 2 in mind.
the "awesome" phase. That's when the character gets the important and usually the flashiest stuff to use.

An easy example is the Summoner, that plays a bit like a wow Warlock (2 dots, a "pet") and suddently when everything's ready you can summon Bahamut for 20 seconds and unleash destruction among your enemies.

shmJsV2.jpg

Another example is the Red Mage, it's a pure caster that cast at the speed of light (gets 1 insta-spell after EVERY hardcast), and when you maxed a white and black mana pool you can go full Melee DPS, unleash a melee combo with you rapier, make an awesome 30m backflip and use a high level white/black finisher spell.

Of course each job has it's own "awesome phase"

Like the videos posted seem fast, but because everything is so big and constant it seems a bit same-y and boring.

Well you said you found the game "slow paced" and I just wanted to show you the game can be really fast at some point :) . The last sentence you said it's not really true, for an untrained eye maybe, but for the player that's playing it's not. You are always thinking about your next move, how's that DOT? How's my buff? Should I do the "re-dot" combo or do I have time enough for another damage combo, should I use my raid buff now, what's the next boss mechanic, can I deal with that mechanic while doing this combo, big etc.

That and less attack focused abilities, perhaps really situational abilities and of course a general.

Who said that you don't have of those? :D Every Tank, Healer and DPS have their main role skills and actions but that doesn't stop them from having buffs or debuffs to help the party at crucial moments. Also some of the attacks of the rotation can have an added effect. For example one of the DRG combos places a Dot on the enemy, the NIN decreases the slashing defense of the enemy, casters can use Virus/Addle when the boss is preparing a Tank buster so it decreases the damage, they even have Apotacastasis to defend the tank against incoming magic damage and let's not talk about the bard, depending on your attacks you will start playing a song that will grant diferent buffs to the party..even mana regen if healers need it. When we FFXIV players talk about this stuff we call it "Raid Utility".

Ah of course, melee dps have atacks that can cause extra effect if you are on the correct position (rear,flank,front).

Can you explain that? It really confuses me in regards how they will play.

Anythin in particular that got your attention? Jobs are so diferent between themselves it's really hard to start explaining everything. The "Basically What job" video just tells you what's going to be the role of that job, what weapon they use and the "big stuff" like Jumping and "The Eye" for Dragoon, Jutsus for Ninjas, Bahamut for SMN or White/Black magic for Red Mage.

The "rotation videos" i posted were just a showdown from High End players. It's basically what you would end doing if bosses didn't have 300 mechanics to deal with xD.

As for the "being busy" issue. Maybe that's true. FFXIV is not like wow, when I played wow (from BC to end of Cata) most of the time my gameplay was "spam 1 and 2 till something procs, then press that proc and maybe another proc will happen". FFXIV isn't like that, you will always have a rotation of skills you have to do in order (not using your memory but your common sense, it's easyer if you play the game and learn the skills yourself trust me :D ) or a priority sistem (usually the casters have that).

Best I can tell you is: Play the game with a job you like, level up till lvl50-60 and there you will get a hint of how's the real gameplay.

Most of the dps jobs have 2 phases:
the "charging up" phase when you are using your skills with phase 2 in mind.
the "awesome" phase. That's when the character gets the important and usually the flashiest stuff to use.

An easy example is the Summoner, that plays a bit like a wow Warlock (2 dots, a "pet") and suddently when everything's ready you can summon Bahamut for 20 seconds and unleash destruction among your enemies.

Hmmm, I don't really like if most dps fall into a routine. It's kind of what's happened with the homogenization in WoW. Before a lot of the homogenization that happened in later expansions, different class/specs had different focus in terms of how DPS happened. You still have a few of those, like Arcane Mage with its burn phase and charging phase. But most others are usually main secondary resource builder, big resource builder consuming attack, one or two procs, some cooldowns. Then they'll follow x amount of resource, then use big attack, if not main resource builder or resource building cooldown or a possible proc ability. If not, then either dump attack or resource building attack. Gets a bit boring imo. Before it used to be very varied, some with simple rotations with proc building, some with almost hard rotations, some a priority system, some with burn phases, some with a secondary resource, etc. Some could even skip a part of class mechanic with enough stats (the short time diseaseless blood DK was viable).

Is there a dps job with a permanent pet?

Well you said you found the game "slow paced" and I just wanted to show you the game can be really fast at some point :) . The last sentence you said it's not really true, for an untrained eye maybe, but for the player that's playing it's not. You are always thinking about your next move, how's that DOT? How's my buff? Should I do the "re-dot" combo or do I have time enough for another damage combo, should I use my raid buff now, what's the next boss mechanic, can I deal with that mechanic while doing this combo, big etc.

Well, I can't remember calling the game "slow paced". I just said the combat and questing experience felt a bit lacking. Now your description here makes me a bit worried, because it sounds like all classes are pretty busy, which is a general bad way to design a mmorpg imo, as the difference experiences with different classes is what I think help them succeed. Are there classes that don't have the same "always busy" feel? I get worrying about raid mechanics, but would preferable to not have all classes play like a overly hectic rotation. As I said, that one introduction video gave a much more favorable look, as it gave more gravitas and distinction to the classes.

Who said that you don't have of those? :D Every Tank, Healer and DPS have their main role skills and actions but that doesn't stop them from having buffs or debuffs to help the party at crucial moments. Also some of the attacks of the rotation can have an added effect. For example one of the DRG combos places a Dot on the enemy, the NIN decreases the slashing defense of the enemy, casters can use Virus/Addle when the boss is preparing a Tank buster so it decreases the damage, they even have Apotacastasis to defend the tank against incoming magic damage and let's not talk about the bard, depending on your attacks you will start playing a song that will grant diferent buffs to the party..even mana regen if healers need it. When we FFXIV players talk about this stuff we call it "Raid Utility".

Ah of course, melee dps have atacks that can cause extra effect if you are on the correct position (rear,flank,front).

Are there non-combat focused abilities and are there longer duration buffs that can be given to other players? As a WoW player that's many of the neat things that disappeared over the year, so interesting to know if FFXIV has that. Can't remember having it, but I only played in the start.

Anythin in particular that got your attention? Jobs are so diferent between themselves it's really hard to start explaining everything. The "Basically What job" video just tells you what's going to be the role of that job, what weapon they use and the "big stuff" like Jumping and "The Eye" for Dragoon, Jutsus for Ninjas, Bahamut for SMN or White/Black magic for Red Mage.

The "rotation videos" i posted were just a showdown from High End players. It's basically what you would end doing if bosses didn't have 300 mechanics to deal with xD.

As for the "being busy" issue. Maybe that's true. FFXIV is not like wow, when I played wow (from BC to end of Cata) most of the time my gameplay was "spam 1 and 2 till something procs, then press that proc and maybe another proc will happen". FFXIV isn't like that, you will always have a rotation of skills you have to do in order (not using your memory but your common sense, it's easyer if you play the game and learn the skills yourself trust me :D ) or a priority sistem (usually the casters have that).

Anything that doesn't have "the big stuff"? I kind of dislike things like that, at least when it's a common design element across all classes. Perhaps, are there any classes that play close to an Enhancement shaman from vanilla WoW (a focus on lucky proc for heavy bursts, survival, "pet"/totem)?

I wouldn't call WotLK and Cata gameplay as what you did, after all some specs had harder rotations, some had proc-based, some had burn phases, etc. If there's a constant rotation, then that seems very boring in my opinion. One of the great things about WoW back in the day was just how different each class worked. More so in the varied ways of playing from TBC and forward. Then they just wanted procs, because it was supposedly "exciting", "varied", etc. And then "EVERYONE GETS A SECOND RESOURCE!" like Oprah was running around the Blizzard office at Irvine. Then it was squishing away abilities, and global cooldown change, removing all the abilities added with artifacts and now most classes feel like a shell of their former selves. Just see Paladins, which had an interesting Seal system that ended up being utterly gutted out of the game. It sounds like FFXIV has some of that kind of things in terms of debuffs, like Paladins had with Seal of Light and Seal of Wisdom.

Best I can tell you is: Play the game with a job you like, level up till lvl50-60 and there you will get a hint of how's the real gameplay.

Will try. Is there a point to which you level a job to get a grasp whether it fits you or not? In WoW you'd usually say around lvl 20, though that's not necessarily that representative for all classes, especially in the earlier WoW versions.

Thanks for answering my questions btw. I might seem very negative and nitpicky, but I'll try it out again regardless, but it's nice to get some info so that I know what to expect and instead might be positively surprised instead.

royox

First of all you have to understand one thing: I don't play all the classes and english is not my mother language so maybe I can be misunderstood a bit :)

Before it used to be very varied, some with simple rotations with proc building, some with almost hard rotations, some a priority system, some with burn phases, some with a secondary resource, etc. Some could even skip a part of class mechanic with enough stats (the short time diseaseless blood DK was viable).

Yeah. Literally FFXIV. When I said "the cool stuff" was talking about that. For example Machinist is "Simple rotation with proc building and a fast burst phase, Summoner is "priority based" so you can unleash bahamut as soon and strong as possible, Samurai uses a secondary resource, Dragoon builds up his resource to go into a "trance" phase that increases his dps and changes some of his skills, Ninja builds up his own attack speed and ends with instant ninjutsu casting (to use Ninjutsu you have to press 3 skills in order, like doing hand seals with the hands), Black mage plays switching Fire and Ice phases (Fire= dps, Ice = mana regen) and has to put an eye to one timer (big as hell) to keep the damage at 100%, Red Mage is an "instant decision/proc" class that has to use spells balancing white and black magic otherwise his dps will suffer. I haven't played the other jobs but as I recall Monk buffs himself up each time one party member deals a critical hit and bard has 3 diferent songs (dps phases) that affect the party with diferent buffs.

Basically you explained FFXIV better than I did lol (and I feel ashamed).

Is there a dps job with a permanent pet?

Summoner. There also is a Healer job with permanent pet, the Scholar.

Are there classes that don't have the same "always busy" feel?

Yes, most of the non melee jobs but you will always have something to do with every job. I don't understand what you mean with busy. If you are a DPS and you are not attacking you are doing something wrong, here in 14 and in WoW.

Are there non-combat focused abilities and are there longer duration buffs that can be given to other players? As a WoW player that's many of the neat things that disappeared over the year, so interesting to know if FFXIV has that. Can't remember having it, but I only played in the start.

Healers have Protect that's a 40-50 min defensive buffs and some jobs have their own "long duration buff" for themselves (mostly stances). Most of the non-damage habilities are situational buff/debuffs you use at certain moments.

BUT. You can't see it directly but having diferent jobs in party grants passive buffs to the whole group. The most variety you have in a raid the most passive buffs you will have. But yeah you don't get a little square with a picture like wow's Druid paw with 120 minute duration.

Anything that doesn't have "the big stuff"? I kind of dislike things like that, at least when it's a common design element across all classes

As I said before I expressed myself very bad :). My main is Summoner and for me the "big stuff" is summoning freaking Bahamut for 20 seconds.

This may be an interesting video for you, it just show some of the new stuff we got on stormblood (and the "cool stuff" I meant) but gives you an Idea of what to expect:

Also, maybe you don't know each job has a limit break? A skill that's build by the whole raid and only 1 member can use it (tanks protect the whole raid against deadly damage, healers have a mass ress and gives everybody 100% HP and PM, Dps deal a fuckton of damage and can be single target or aoe based on the job).

The most important thing I tell to my guildmates when they join the game for the first time after playing wow:

FORGET EVERYTHING ABOUT WOW.

It's a diferent game, with diferent focus and diferent mentallity. WoW is based on playing big as hell dungeons and killing bosses, FFXIV puts all the focus in the boss battles and how to make them epic, fun and most important, memorable.
That's why I can remember every FFXIV boss battle, mechanic and music but I can't remember shit about wow's bosses not even Arthas or Illidan. And I played WoW for a longer time and at high end level while I play FFXIV the casul way.

Also forget about "Deadly boss mods" calling you out every mechanic, what to do and where to go, In FFXIV you have to react yourself to the mechanics and know what should be done. But don't be scared, the game itself has markers for each mechanic, like the well known "STACK WITH THIS PLAYER!"
28d6c080894553c871acb598ac7ee392d553800b.jpg

Or the one that causes massive wipes, the "Don't look at the boss" marker

e2fb6315551eb5182c44bc9918110d972e99b69e.jpg

Or last but not least the "FUCK YOUR PARTY" markers xD

prelude.jpg

That do I mean by "memorable"? OH don't make me get started on my fav.stuff about this game :p : Boss Phase Transitions + Music Change.

My fav Ones:

(you don't see it but the Tanks have a QTE where they have to press a button as fast as they can or they will fail holding the sword xD)

Walking over his tail, with STORM OF BLOOD at the background at full power....I...I just can't hold my cool.

I don't mind answering any question you have :DDD Have you decided on a job?

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Thinking about coming back. I haven't played in a long time but with Shadowbringers out in a few months its calling me.

I forgot how to play its been that long. lol

Shy Fingers

Banned
Thinking about coming back. I haven't played in a long time but with Shadowbringers out in a few months its calling me.

I forgot how to play its been that long. lol
Well good news! They simplified most classes this past expansion, so picking it up will be easy enough.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Stormblood is now 50% off on the square-enix store due to golden week, making it only $20. Very tempting to jump back in. After this week I'll be gone on vacation for 2 weeks but would still have half of May and then all of June to play through Stormblood before Shadowbringers comes out. Hmm...

Stormblood is now 50% off on the square-enix store due to golden week, making it only $20. Very tempting to jump back in. After this week I'll be gone on vacation for 2 weeks but would still have half of May and then all of June to play through Stormblood before Shadowbringers comes out. Hmm...

Hmm, from what I read it seemed like Shadowbringers purchase would give you Stormblood the week of release? Or did I misunderstand it? If it does, then spending $20 + sub seems a bit of a waste.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hmm, from what I read it seemed like Shadowbringers purchase would give you Stormblood the week of release? Or did I misunderstand it? If it does, then spending $20 + sub seems a bit of a waste.
You're right, the only advantage would be that I could play through stormblood now and then could start on Shadowbringers the day it releases. I probably won't do it though.

Last edited:
Heavensward is free until June 27th. Perfect for those who picked up A Realm Reborn from Twitch Prime (which ends tomorrow). Pick it up if you haven't already.

Ol'Scratch

I have been enjoying the hell out of the game for the past few weeks, and it really has made it impossible to go back to other mmos. Looking forward to Shadowbringers and already have a toon set aside to potion into a bunny. Couerl represent.

I was on the fence whether I'd be maining RDM or DRK this expansion, but after seeing the job actions trailer I think the decision is clear.
Plus, my custom Viera looks awesome in DRK gear in the benchmark.

Ol'Scratch

Dark is alot of fun. Using my three day weekend starting monday to do full on tank 101 because I have been putting it off and dreading it. RDM is alot of fun and can pull some great damage and again alot of fun. My highest RDM is high 50s and it only gets better.

Also if anyone decides to come back to the game let me know so I can do a comeback referral gimmick!

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Anything about recommended starting zone? (I assume it differs based on race or is it just a single one?)

Just make a character you like the look of. I think it’s unique based on race (or maybe job) where you start but it’s been a long time so I could be wrong. Either way once you pass the first few intro levels everyone ends up in the same place.

Just make a character you like the look of. I think it’s unique based on race (or maybe job) where you start but it’s been a long time so I could be wrong. Either way once you pass the first few intro levels everyone ends up in the same place.

That sounds awful. I just remember that I started as a Midlander and can't remember switching areas and most of the quests felt lame back when I played it. One of the strengths of WoW was that you had many options in terms of where you wanted to quest.

Ol'Scratch

Anything about recommended starting zone? (I assume it differs based on race or is it just a single one?)
Keep in mind that it will be a bit before you can get to any of the other starting areas but it is mainly really chosen by what your starting class is. You still start in the city with that school

I've leveled to lvl 11 (almost 12) as a midlander Lancer and god damn the questing sucks, the design of the zones I am questing in sucks and my ability set sucks. I can't imagine how vanilla FFXIV was, considering this is A Realm Reborn. When can I expect things to click or expect RPG mechanics to be prevalent and reaching notable sense of achievements?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I've leveled to lvl 11 (almost 12) as a midlander Lancer and god damn the questing sucks, the design of the zones I am questing in sucks and my ability set sucks. I can't imagine how vanilla FFXIV was, considering this is A Realm Reborn. When can I expect things to click or expect RPG mechanics to be prevalent and reaching notable sense of achievements?

You are like... 4 hours into a 500+ hour MMORPG. The early questing (especially for ARR) is primarily world building. It is slow and will pick up as you reach 50 (which is very easy to do as all you need to do is follow the MSQ - shouldn't take you more than 8-10 hours at most).

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
One more week before we get to explore the First. What's the first thing you'll all do?

Probably level all of the current tank jobs from 70 to 80 then get on Gunbreaker after that. Most likely gonna spam dungeons rather than Heaven on High because I hate that place.

Mecha Meow

I've been subbed since 2013 but haven't really played the game that much since SB came out. Hell, I still have to finish the MSQ before ShB comes out this weekend.

I dunno, I think deciding to level a samurai at the start and being behind 10 levels was my downfall on top of the slow ass story in the 65-70 zones.

I've just been logging in and doing Gold Saucer and PVP since 2017.....lol

I'll be sticking to my MNK at the start this time around, and then topping off my MCH, SAM, and DRG later on.

Last edited:
Boring Heaven on High spam all day :(

(Dancer)
Keep in mind you can't HoH until 61, so you need to dungeon spam or something else first.

As for me, the first thing I'm doing is basking in my new Viera glory, and then sorting out my damn glamour chest. I have so many pieces in my retainers just waiting for the chest to be upgraded. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Keep in mind you can't HoH until 61, so you need to dungeon spam or something else first.

As for me, the first thing I'm doing is basking in my new Viera glory, and then sorting out my damn glamour chest. I have so many pieces in my retainers just waiting for the chest to be upgraded. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Oh man, I forgot all about that. The first level is going to suck with DPS queue times and a new DPS class being added.

Top Bottom