• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT2| Y'all Need to Calm Down (Ultimate)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Beat Fenrir in Stormcloak. All 4 of us were noobs so it was neat figuring it out after wiping a couple times. Had to resurrect healer a couple times (I'm Summoner)

The difficulty plus the aesthetic reminded me of the Ice Cave in the first Final Fantasy. That dungeon was a cunt.

royox

That's a shame because the Ascians were a more difficult boss than Thordan haha (and the fucking Demon Tome in the library). Where do I go to unlock the EX versions for HW? Waking Sands as usual?
Oh you are in for a ride in ShadowBringers if you enjoy ascians.

As for your question I think it was the wanderer mistrel in Waking sands.

Ah, take one thing in consideration: Thordan EX is considered the hardest trial of HW and still makes people wipe at lvl70 :)

YukiOnna

Oh you are in for a ride in ShadowBringers if you enjoy ascians.

As for your question I think it was the wanderer mistrel in Waking sands.

Ah, take one thing in consideration: Thordan EX is considered the hardest trial of HW and still makes people wipe at lvl70 :)
Looking forward to it! I don't think any Expansion will disappointment me. I just find it refreshing since this actually feels like an FF, lol. Damn cool to see things built up or set up a while ago come to the front lines out of nowhere.

I've still to do many of the EX runs... Titan looks terrifying.

Sub_Level

Is it generally agreed that 4 man dungeons are harder than anything 8-man? Because I just beat Midgard and that has been my experience so far.

I very much prefer 4-man parties because its not a total walk in the park.

YukiOnna

Is it generally agreed that 4 man dungeons are harder than anything 8-man? Because I just beat Midgard and that has been my experience so far.

I very much prefer 4-man parties because its not a total walk in the park.
I guess so? Unless it's the Extreme trials the story ones seem to be designed to be easy.
I've heard synced Baha Coil is supposed toe be difficult.

royox

Man, Alexander is so much fun lol. Full on ZA WARUDO.

It's even better if you are DPS and go inside the 4 balls :D

You get teleported to the past, when Alexander popped in front of you and Cid, stoped time and was about to kill you with a beam, then when you kill the adds you break the TimeStop and save you and Cid from the past. Mind fucking blown

Last edited:

YukiOnna

It's even better if you are DPS and go inside the 4 balls :D

You get teleported to the past, when Alexander popped in front of you and Cid, stoped time and was about to kill you with a beam, then when you kill the adds you break the TimeStop and save you and Cid from the past. Mind fucking blown
Holy shit are you serious? That just adds another layer to the story...

Speaking of Story, I finished the true Dragonsong War now....
Man, what an emotional finale. 3.2's end was so bleak (thank god Vidofnir didn't die) I thought it was going to end bittersweet. But we managed to save Estinien, and good boi Haurche was there to help me out... that got me good. Also, shout out to me for getting Moghan's name right when he asked!!

Sub_Level

Started Heavensward this weekend.

Really like how they have you find locations and complete quests to unlock flying mounts. It makes you explore the map more. Shit is comfy.

YukiOnna

Started Heavensward this weekend.

Really like how they have you find locations and complete quests to unlock flying mounts. It makes you explore the map more. Shit is comfy.
Hope you enjoy the expansion as much as me. The locations, particularly the Forelands are beautiful.

YukiOnna

Oh man... Papalymo's sacrifice made me tear up... the haunting version of Answers playing. ;_; Illberd is an absolute piece of shit. I understand his struggle but his actions did nothing for Ala Mhigo... This game does not leave its plot threads hanging.

This mount is so stupid but I love it. Arrived at the perfect time to sunbathe in Costa Del Sol, as everyone runs by to complete the Ninja Warrior course lol

Zibs5vY.png

Last edited:

royox

Speaking of Story, I finished the true Dragonsong War now....

Then start taking notes because the next patches are going to be VERY IMPORTANT for ShadowBringers and the overall Lore of the World.

Love that you liked 3.3 ending :D. At release it was amazing when the game left you in front of Nidhogg waiting for the Duty Finder Queue to pop up with 1000 other players standing still in front of him and DragonSong as background music. It's for me one of my favourite "Videogame Moments".

AND STILL, THEY MANAGED TO SURPASS ALL THAT WITH SHADOWBRINGERS!!!!

God Enel

I wanted to install a test version to try it.. Impossible with the login ID, safety shit mogry stuff and I gave up. How can a system be so confusing?

YukiOnna

Then start taking notes because the next patches are going to be VERY IMPORTANT for ShadowBringers and the overall Lore of the World.
Yup. If you saw, I'm done 3.55 and 3.56! Emotionally drained me lmao so I'm focusing on levelling Samurai right now.

royox

I'm focusing on levelling Samurai right now.

You wanna play Stormblood with a Sam? :)

I wanted to install a test version to try it.. Impossible with the login ID, safety shit mogry stuff and I gave up. How can a system be so confusing?

If I don't recall it wrong you only have to create a Squeenix account and you login with that into the MogStation where you unlock the Free trial. I don't remember it being THAT hard but it was a bit confusing coming from WoW.

Ichabod

Banned
Got back into this and I'm having a complete blast. Started working my way through the Stormblood content as SAM a few months ago but ended up losing interest. Decided to hop back in as a RDM and it's my favorite class hands down. Its utility is amazing. Really enjoying the story leading into Shadowbringers as well. That storyline with Tsuyu was tragic.

Sub_Level

Yup! Though going from Bard to close range DPS has been difficult haha

I plan on switching from summoner to gunbreaker at level 60 and am gonna have to lead parties in dungeons I aint never been in. I foresee many "expressions of frustration" in the chat log lol

YukiOnna

I plan on switching from summoner to gunbreaker at level 60 and am gonna have to lead parties in dungeons I aint never been in. I foresee many "expressions of frustration" in the chat log lol
Lmao people in advance say they're new and sometimes they still get kicked...

royox

Lmao people in advance say they're new and sometimes they still get kicked...

This doesn't happen many times come on!!

But yes, the other day I had to kick a sprout healer from the last dungeon of Stormblood because after 5 tries he still couldn't do simple mechanics like aoe dodging or splitting when marked with red arrow or joining the others with the yellow Marker.

I'm totally in for teaching other players everything I can, but if at lvl70 you still don't understand the basic markers that means you PAID to level up that character, you missed the basic tutorial of the game and I'm not a walking tutorial sorry.

But yes, the other day I had to kick a sprout healer
lmao
You were probably justified in doing so, but that sequence of sentences is pretty funny.
On the topic of level skips, they should probably make the Hall of the Novice mandatory for players who buy them.
Well, I highly advise looking up dungeon guides to minimize frustration for yourself and your party. MTQCapture on YouTube makes short and concise dungeon guides, so I highly recommend her videos.
As for actual tanking advice:
Do not forget to turn on your Tank Stance.
Always use Arm's Length (Role Action) during a pull and don't forget your defensive cooldowns (for GNB, Heart of Stone has the lowest cooldown timer so use that first and then cycle in new ones, one at a time, as they expire).
Most dungeon groups appreciate larger pulls but if your healer's gear isn't up to snuff (i.e. you're in a level 70 dungeon but the healer has 60 gear) then take it slower.
That's about all you really need for a beginner tank, outside of obvious advice like point enemies away from your group, etc. Good luck!

Last edited:

YukiOnna

But yes, the other day I had to kick a sprout healer from the last dungeon of Stormblood because after 5 tries he still couldn't do simple mechanics like aoe dodging or splitting when marked with red arrow or joining the others with the yellow Marker.

I'm totally in for teaching other players everything I can, but if at lvl70 you still don't understand the basic markers that means you PAID to level up that character, you missed the basic tutorial of the game and I'm not a walking tutorial sorry.
Figuring out job mechanics is one thing but if you can't do the basics after multiple tries then that's whack...

Sub_Level

Must have played over 10 hours yesterday. This game is actual crack cocaine. Feel like one of those internet-addicted south koreans you hear about on the news every so often.

Well, I highly advise looking up dungeon guides to minimize frustration for yourself and your party. MTQCapture on YouTube makes short and concise dungeon guides, so I highly recommend her videos.
As for actual tanking advice:
Do not forget to turn on your Tank Stance.
Always use Arm's Length (Role Action) during a pull and don't forget your defensive cooldowns (for GNB, Heart of Stone has the lowest cooldown timer so use that first and then cycle in new ones, one at a time, as they expire).
Most dungeon groups appreciate larger pulls but if your healer's gear isn't up to snuff (i.e. you're in a level 70 dungeon but the healer has 60 gear) then take it slower.
That's about all you really need for a beginner tank, outside of obvious advice like point enemies away from your group, etc. Good luck!

- Dungeon guides: I let the feeling of discovery for the first time, even if it means I get killed during a boss cuz of some mechanic heh. If I ever do the harder optional content like Extreme fights I will definitely look up guides tho so I'm not a liability.
- Yeah I was wondering when Royal Guard would turn off and then I was like duh this is the tank stance. In a 8 player trial the people I were with actually told me to turn it off since I had a co-tank with it on heh.
- I used Arm's Length as much as possible but its long cooldown couldn't let me do it every time. And yea I saw a quick guide before playing that reminded me to use the defensive buffs. Heart of Stone unlocks in a few levels so I'll be doing that.
- Yea by now at level 60 I've been in dungeons where the tank goes batshit and sprints down a corridor to attract as many enemies in one pile-up as possible haha I'm not that efficient yet but I did try to pull stuff together.

One question: there is a role action that says it interrupts enemy actions. I try doin this whenever an enemy charges an attack but it doesn't seem to do anything. Does it simply slow the charge-up down or am I using it wrong?

One question: there is a role action that says it interrupts enemy actions. I try doin this whenever an enemy charges an attack but it doesn't seem to do anything. Does it simply slow the charge-up down or am I using it wrong?
No, you're just using the wrong action to interrupt. It's a new Shadowbringers mechanic that is somewhat poorly explained so it's not your fault.
Regular cast bars -> interruptible by any action that Stuns the target (Low Blow for Tanks)
Interruptible cast bars (they have an outline) -> interruptible only by Interrupt skills (Interject for Tanks, Head Graze for RDPS)

Here's what an interruptible cast bar looks like:
7btuamgogj731.png

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Damn Zenos is everything I wanted in a singular antagonist so far that was lacking from the HW storyline for me...

Last edited:

Myths

Just started playing this, man I don’t know what to do and what to level. I’m usually a no-lifer when it comes to maxing stats so...

royox

Just started playing this, man I don’t know what to do and what to level. I’m usually a no-lifer when it comes to maxing stats so...

There's no "maxing stats" in FFXIV, you just have to do your best to use your job the best way possible.

YukiOnna

Yeah, I've found it pretty easy going. There's a lot of variety in what kind of equipment you can use and it's not something to worry about. The thing that overwhelms me is what classes to go for since I want to try everything but also don't want to abandon story for it.

Myths

There's no "maxing stats" in FFXIV, you just have to do your best to use your job the best way possible.
That doesn’t really give me any solid direction or understanding of how I would progress otherwise. Then again, I haven’t really read up on it so excuse me.

royox

That doesn’t really give me any solid direction or understanding of how I would progress otherwise. Then again, I haven’t really read up on it so excuse me.

There's no "progression" other than leveling up and learning new skills + gearing new gear. You don't place points or talents or anything.

John Day

Been playing thru Stormblood with DNC, i love it. Game is easy to drop when you get burned and pick up again. Love this game to death.

nearly everything is tied to story progression and it's the quickest way to level starting out when you don't have duty roulettes or palace of the dead available to you. you shouldn't struggle to level while following the story and you'll get plenty of gear to go through so you'll never need to touch a shop except for repairing equipment. at level 15 you'll unlock the hall of the novice and at level 10 you'll unlock guildhests. both of these systems serve as introductions to playing the game, the former granting you a nice set of equipment that you'll use for quite some time and the latter letting you dip your toes into some 4 man content.

there are optional leveling dungeons along the way that provided you do them around the level you unlock them in should grant you roughly a level a piece.

once you complete the main story of ARR and each expansion you'll get access to all the optional dungeons, trials and raids that are unlocked by taking on the blue marked + quests. you'll also start to acquire a currency called allegan tomestomes of poetics that allow you to get the best level 50, 60 and 70 gear available.

if you're interested in mathematical breakdowns on the best usage and combination of your skills then check out The Balance (they have a discord).

edit: just a sidenote FFXIV is not intended to be some kind of game where you must delve into wikis or you're forced to watch a youtube guide to complete some kind of story based dungeon or trial. if that's your kind of stuff you'll want to join a free company that regularly does high-end content but the majority of the content you'll experience in the game is not there to frustrate you or test your diligence.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

Level 67 right now. So far:

Heavensward had better story
Stormblood has better soundtrack, dungeons, and bosses

royox

Level 67 right now. So far:

Heavensward had better story
Stormblood has better soundtrack, dungeons, and bosses

Totally. Then comes Shadowbringers that has better story, villain, leveling dungeons and OST. Let's see the bosses at the end of the expansion :)

Top Bottom