• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Everything we know so far - [Up: Character artwork/descriptions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exentryk

Decided to compile all the information together for ease of reference. It might help answer some recurring questions like "Why is Versus renamed to XV". I have tried to not include any information from before E3 (i.e., when the game was still Versus XIII). If you'd like to read up on the old information, it is well documented here.

jhf9pUELXfygy.png

Previously known as FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII, the title’s development expanded and evolved to take full advantage of the capabilities of next generation platforms. While the main concept, world and story continue to be developed as originally envisioned, the First Production Development Team has further improved FINAL FANTASY XV’s action, gameplay elements and graphic quality to match the technology of the next generation hardware, as well as the expectations of players eagerly awaiting the game’s release.

Final Fantasy XV is in development for PS4 and Xbox One.

General Information

Official Japanese Website: http://jp.square-enix.com/ff15/
Official N. American Website: http://na.square-enix.com/FFXV/
Official European Website: http://eu.square-enix.com/FFXV/

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/finalfantasy15jp
Twitter - http://twitter.com/1stPD_PR

Release Date
JP: TBA
NA: TBA
EU: TBA

Trailers:

Announcement Trailer -
Youtube Version
High Quality Version for download

Gameplay Trailer -
Youtube Version
High Quality Version for download

Story:

The only crystal left to the world lies in the Kingdom of Lucis. Upon striking a peace with the garrison state of Niflheim, Lucis rejoices in having at last brought the cold war to a close. Their celebrations, however, are premature. Under the guise of amity, Niflheim dispels the anti-armament runewall and launches a full-scale invasion of the kingdom. The peaceful lives Crown Prince Noctis and his entourage once knew are consumed by the flames of war as they struggle to mount a resistance.

Cast:

Noctis Lucis Caelum
A childhood affliction endowed Noctis, heir apparent to the throne of Lucis, with the mystical power to see a heavenly light, through which he could sense others' deaths. Noctis rejects rigid royal conventions and acts as somewhat of a renegade, much to the dismay of those who tend to him. Yet while "Noct" may act brash at times, he does so in defense of those loyal to him.
His Japanese voice actor is Tatsuhisa Suzuki.

Gladiolus Amicitia
As lord of the noble House Amicitia, Gladiolus continues a line sworn to protect the crown. "Gladio" shares a friendship with Noctis that transcends birth and title, and his loyalty to his liege is born not of duty, but of brotherhood.
His Japanese voice actor is Kenta Miyake.

Ignis Scientia
Ever the unwavering voice of reason, Ignis was weaned on shrewd logic and a classical education from boyhood so that he might one day counsel the would-be king, Noctis. He applies the deep mutual understanding and trust they have built over time to help smooth over Noctis's brusqueness with others.
His Japanse voice actor is Mamoru Miyano.

Prompto Argentum
The puckish playboy Prompto befriended Noctis in his school days. He wears a chip on his shoulder as an outsider to the royal circle, but remains eager to do all he can for the cause.
His Japanese voice actor is Tetsuya Kakihara.

Cor Leonis
A living legend of Lucian lore, Lord Commander Cor Leonis's devotion to the art of war is surpassed only by that to his king. Little love is lost between the ill-starred stalwart and Noctis's retinue, yet honor binds him to keep watch over the group all the same.
Cor uses Katanas in battle, and is 42 years old*. [Thanks Raven777] (*Nomura calls Cor a "Yakudoshi"). Cor is also the last to join the 5 man party.
His Japanese voice actor is Hiroki Touchi.

Regis Lucis Caelum
King of the Lucis Kingdom, and Noctis' father.

Stella Nox Fleuret
Stella hails from the Fleuret family from the Kingdom of Tenebrae. She is a childhood friend of Noctis, and can sense the death of others, just like Noctis.

Idola Eldercapt (Name unconfirmed)
Leader of Niflheim. (This character's name has not been officially announced. See here for the speculation.)

Unnamed Character 1
Possibly from Niflheim? He was seen in the trailer talking to the Niflheim leader, Idola.
His Japanese voice actor is Keiji Fujiwara. [Was mentioned by Jubern before official confirmation.]

Unnamed Character 2
No information available.

Unnamed Character 3
No information available.

Unnamed Character 4
Fights for Lucis Kingdom, and can be seen in the trailer standing behind King Regis Caelum.

Unnamed Character 5
No information available. [Thanks Raven777 for the find.]

Unnamed Character 6
No confirmed information available.
His Japanese voice actor has not been announced, but the voice sounds like Yuichi Nakamura. [Thanks Jubern]

Locations:

The four great nations that originally received protection from the crystals are Lucis, Tenebrae, Solheim and Accordo – and together with Niflheim and several other cities and villages – make up the vast world of FFXV.

Lucis:
The Kingdom of Lucis is ruled by Regis Lucis Caelum. A nation said to keep the last known existing crystal in the world of Final Fantasy XV, it is described as a nation both highly advanced and developed, and culturally intact, with tradition vibrant and still alive with the "songs of swords and sorcery".The city is a sprawling metropolis, inspired by modern-day cities like Tokyo and New York, and as such, is populated by skyscrapers and highways.

Lucis, "of the light" or "belonging to the light", is the genitive form of the Latin Lux, "Light".

Tenebrae:
Tenebrae is home to Noctis' childhood friend Stella. Little is known about it at this time, though there is a legend in Tenebrae which states that those who can see the "light" will obtain special powers.
"Tenebrae" is Latin for "darkness" or "shadows".

Niflheim:
Led by Idola Eldercapt, Niflheim is an opposing kingdom in this game. It is shown to have invaded Lucis during the peace treaty signing party (dated 2592/09/15 [yyyy/mm/dd]), which would have settled the dispute over the last crystal. They have also waged war on Accordo, Solheim and Tenebrae.
Niflheim is designed with an asymmetric aesthetic. Their clothes, while mostly white, are different on each side.

Solheim:
Solheim is under attack by Niflheim for its crystal. No other information is available yet.

Accordo:
A beautiful and picturesque nation, that is modelled after Venice, comes under attack by Niflheim forces. The latest trailer shows Leviathan demolishing the city, while Noctis is seen jumping from roof to roof trying to battle these forces.

Gameplay:

• The party consists of three members.
  • Noctis has to be in the party. If Noctis dies, it's game over.
  • Other characters can be controlled, and can be swapped seamlessly in battle.
  • Damage and HP will be displayed on screen just like in the older Final Fantasies.
  • Noctis can use Attack, Magic, Linkform, Warp, [Summons?] and Item commands.
  • Warp is a Noct-only ability. We saw examples of its "short" version in the latest trailer, but expect some footage of a "long" warp;
  • Airships, Cars, Tanks, Chocobos etc can be used as a means of transport.
  • There is a world map.
  • Summons are in, and need to be defeated for them to join. The summons have ranks (hierarchy). Leviathan is one of the highest ranked summons, and thus is huge. [Thanks Raven777]
For a more detailed look on gameplay, please refer to this thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585421

News, Interviews and Updates:

A longish summary of the articles so far here. If you prefer reading the actual articles, the links are below.

11th June - Tetsuya Nomura’s livestream interview at E3 2013
12th June - Future of Final Fantasy Event Report
12th June - Main characters and Japanese voice cast revealed
12th June - Nomura details Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III in Famitsu
13th June - Edge Interview with Nomura: Why Square turned Versus XIII into FFXV.
13th June - IGN interview with Nomura: FFXV was almost a musical.
13th June - More on Final Fantasy XV from Famitsu: FFXV first part in a larger epic.
13th June - NBC interview with Nomura:Nomura discusess art, modern setting and crazy hair.
14th June - Dengeki interview with Nomura
19th June - Famitsu interview with Nomura, Tabata and Nozue: Hajime Tabata co-directing!
19th June - More details from Famitsu interview: Nomura discusses next generation transition.
20th June - More details from Famitsu: Expanded Character descriptions and more.
20th June - Edge interview with Nomura: Nomura on FFXV and KH3.
24th June - RPGSite: FFXV artwork, character and story synopsis.
24th June - Dengeki Interview - Translated by NovaCrystallis: Story, Summons, World Map etc
26th June - Famitsu article via NovaCrystallis: Story unchanged, Cor's age + more.
26th June - Dengeki PlayStation article via Hokanko - Translated Summary: Expect more female characters; Noct's short and long warp + more.
26th June - Famitsu & Dengeki info roundup, via FinalFantasy.net: Niflheim asymmetrical aesthetic, etc.

Road

Accordo:
A kingdom under attack by Niflheim. No other information is available yet.

Venice-like city: (Name yet to be announced)
A beautiful and picturesque city that comes under attack by Niflheim forces. The latest trailer shows a giant sea serpent (Leviathan?) demolishing the city, while Noctis is seen jumping from roof to roof trying to battle these forces.

Reports from the latest Famitsu say they're the same city. (Can't confirm or deny since I don't have the magazine.)

injurai

Banned
I love hearing about the different factions. Really interested to see how they handle politics.

edit: ^^ red soles confirmed

Negaiido

I'm a bit flabbergasted to see people's excitement for this game. This game that's been in development for ages and still has no ETA of release.
I really am excited but it's dimmed down by the lack of releasedate.

It's like all of a sudden, another video shows up after a lot of years and people see it as an unannounced game.

injurai

Banned
I'm a bit flabbergasted to see people's excitement for this game. This game that's been in development for ages and still has no ETA of release.

It's like all of a sudden, another video shows up after a lot of years and people see it as a unannounced game.

KH gameplay drenched in awesome aesthetic with a promised deep and complex story. That is enough to get people excited.

It's like all of a sudden, another video shows up after a lot of years and people see it as an unannounced game.
The game looks as if its nearing completion now. And it looks awesome.

Exentryk

KH gameplay drenched in awesome aesthetic with a promised deep and complex story. That is enough to get people excited.

Pretty much. I am also excited to see controllable airships, and larger maps. Add on to that Yoko Shimomura's music, and we have something that has a huge potential to say the least.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder if there will be actually 5 cities.

Although that will be totally fine since FFX had only 4 actual towns and FFXII had 5-6 IIRC.

n00bsauce

Banned
I think the fact that KH3 is now in development should give us a reprieve. Unless there are completely different teams working on these two titles, we should be getting closer towards completion. At least to a playable demo. If we can get that, I think everyone will be happy.

raven777

just a thing I noted:

This character is one of the character who shows up very quickly after the unnamed character 4. At first glance he looks like Cor Leonis, but if you look carefully he is not Cor.

This is Cor Leonis. If you compared the two, you can see that they have differnt facial features(like the shape of eyebrow, scar on the face, shape of the ear, etc), and that they are not the same person.

Buzzati

Banned

They switched development to new hardware. It takes time, broseph.

Exentryk

Great thread thanks.

Does anyone know if this game has a world map? I do love a good world map.

Most definitely. Something similar to this:

just a thing I noted:

This character is one of the character who shows up very quickly after the unnamed character 4. At first glance he looks like Cor Leonis, but if you look carefully he is not Cor.

This is Cor Leonis. If you compared the two, you can see that they have differnt facial features(like the shape of eyebrow, scar on the face, shape of the ear, etc), and that they are not the same person.

You are absolutely right. I missed him completely. Let me add that to the OP.
Awesome find! :D

Labadal

One thing I haven't thought about until now is that with all the destruction going on when Leviathan is wreaking havoc, might it be possible we won't be revisiting that town? It seems like it's destroying everything in its path.

Caelestis

Thanks for compiling it all. Some really good stuff there. :)

One thing I haven't thought about until now is that with all the destruction going on when Leviathan is wreaking havoc, might it be possible we won't be revisiting that town? It seems like it's destroying everything in its path.
That's what I thought, too. Even if we do revisit it, this seems to be more like a FF13 type of town which is more like an environment to go through than a real one.

raven777

Thanks for compiling it all. Some really good stuff there. :)

That's what I thought, too. Even if we do revisit it, this seems to be more like a FF13 type of town which is more like an environment to go through than a real one.

yea I wouldn't expect a "real town" in XV.

I just REALLLLY hope they figured out a better way to deliver the lore to the user in this game over the codex thing in 13...

and please make the lore stuff easier to pronounce and remember!

jschreier

New mainline Final Fantasys are always exciting. It looks really cool. And the re-reveal/rebrand shows that Square is committed to actually releasing this.

syoaran

I wasn't excited about it before when it was FFXIIIversus, because back then it was a bunch of cg trailers and some very short gameplay segments.

Now a bunch of details/footage has been shown, I feel the game is more tangible. I still don't expect a release in the West until 2015 tho..

Thanks for the summary, and the high end pics of the characters. I gave up hope on a western release next year. If the situation is gonna be like the previous 2 FF games then the earliest we might see it is q1 2015...

New mainline Final Fantasys are always exciting. It looks really cool. And the re-reveal/rebrand shows that Square is committed to actually releasing this.

Are final fantasy games that exciting anymore these days?

I just wish there was more info outside of this heavily scripted trailers. From an action game standpoint, the game looks super clunky and press 'x for awesome'. From a jrpg standpoint, the game looks more style over substance.

I feel like this might be on of those jrpgs where you have to utilize left analog stick and dpad at the same time :_:

stupid xenoblades and nnk.

I just want to play this game if not for how beautiful the cities look.

I hope they really knock this one out of the park as I was really let down how they handled Final Fantasy XIII. The battle system was fun and I enjoyed it, but... Final Fantasy shouldn't exactly be THAT linear.

I miss the element of exploration in Final Fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom