• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Everything we know so far - [Up: Character artwork/descriptions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apoptomon

I'd like final fantasy XII towns but in a "ps4" scale. Lots of npc and subquest as well as shops, inns...bring me the old FF feeling...
I think XII-style is the scale they're using, and Nomura has talked of seamlessness and not having separate battle screens. I'm not sure how airships will fit in with that scale wise though ... then Venice scenes may hint at that(?). I'd like 'physically existing' shops too (but then again, would a potentially fugitive prince buy goods from a corner store in what might be occupied territory?) .

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wouldn't close-combat be unsafe for a person wearing glasses, though?

I saw him more as the white mage of the party. His weapon would be his sharp tounge and dazzling hair.

I wrote this a while back in the other thread but this is pretty much how I feel and want fronm the mages. Ignis is definitely a mage and most likely a black mage.

I think it'll be much more enjoyable to play as the mages this time around but this is mostly due to some gameplay ideas that I have in my head. It honestly doesn't matter what weapon Ignis uses, with the exception of fists. He can cast spells and depending on the sequencing and chains he can pull off bonus magic chains that will increase the damage and possibly a finisher spell. You can also have interesting ideas such as channeling spells and casting the for more damage or channel the spell and have another spell added onto that for a different spell combination. There are some really neat things you can do. If he uses fists, then it becomes even more interesting because you don't simply have ranged spell options but the notion of directly applying spells to your attacks for some pretty cool mechanics.

Battle White mage? Float around by gliding a la Wisdom Drive Mode in Kingdom Hearts while casting heals, shooting miniature missiles and raining Holy down on everyone.

It's further along than Kingdom Hearts, that much is certain. I think the biggest hint is the change of platform to next gen. That would have almost taken production back to square one (heh.)

Holiday 2014, and that's being optimistic.

And my own naivite strikes again. I got excited over a bunch promises, yet again.

injurai

Banned
::Reposting for new page ::
These caught my eye the most.

Nomura wished to create all scenes without character control in pre-rendered CG, but that wasn’t entirely possible. Using the same technique that was utilized for Agni’s Philosophy, the team at Visual Works will create the base for those cutscenes and then drop them into Luminous Engine to run in real time. Everything seen in the E3 trailer was made using the current rendering engine and tools, but will eventually be moved entirely to Luminous as XV and that engine are being developed in tandem.

I was under the impression that the engine would be a Hybrid of Crystal Tools and Luminous, but it seems it will be full blown luminous by release.

On character hair, Nomura said, "If you look at the real world, you don't see too many extreme hairstyles. That's why characters in games should have unique hairstyles. It's just one way to showcase each character's personality. We do have to deform some realistic hairstyles to more game-appropriate styles.
Sometimes I wish we had the easiness Western FPS (first-person shooters) have, to make everyone bald. We're a company that's known for unique hairstyles, but in a way we're running out of ideas."

The self awareness of Japanese hair trends in entertainment is refreshing. I do think that this game in particular is hitting a good balanced stride in this regard. Wouldn't mind even a few more toned down styles.

The starting point is the Kingdom Hearts series’ simple and exhilarating action feeling. It’s not difficult. Most things can be performed intuitively. I am also considering each difficulty level’s specific operation procedures. Companions support the player with co-operative attacks and respond to situations with autonomous actions. The battles will be varied.

I'm happy they are still drawing on KH for gameplay inspiration. The game design seems to be focused around the gameplay progression. It always annoys me where these two things don't seem to coincide.

Another naive question (I've been out of the FF loop for over a decade, cut me some slack):

As I understand it, XV is being included in a "series" of games called Fabula Nova Crystallis, which already includes XIII and XIII-2, among others. Does that mean I'll have to play those games to understand the story? Or can I just look up the Crystal Mythos on the internet and fill in the blanks without having to play Final Hallway?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Another naive question (I've been out of the FF loop for over a decade, cut me some slack):

As I understand it, XV is being included in a "series" of games called Fabula Nova Crystallis, which already includes XIII and XIII-2, among others. Does that mean I'll have to play those games to understand the story? Or can I just look up the Crystal Mythos on the internet and fill in the blanks without having to play Final Hallway?

They just share the same mythos. They do not take place in the same world or some linear narrative. In short, you don't need to play them. Playing them only enriches you in its lore.

injurai

Banned

Ignore them. In fact you can ignore the mythos. They already described it was more created of the sake of internal development anyways.

Ignore them. In fact you can ignore the mythos. They already described it was more created of the sake of internal development anyways.

They just share the same mythos. They do not take place in the same world or some linear narrative. In short, you don't need to play them. Playing them only enriches you in its lore.

Awesome, then I shall ignore them. I'm not very keen on rewarding Squares lazy game design.

メインの武器は刀ですね。

Man. That's kind of disappointing. I mean, it makes sense for a Lord Commander to use a formal weapon like a katana, but what does it leave Ignis with? I was planning on using him as a main party member, but if he uses throwing knives as his main weapon I really don't think I'll keep him around much. You won't be able to see anything he does.

Maybe they'll give him a spear or something to replace the katana...or maybe Cor is a guest character after all. I can't see two main heroes using the same weapon in a mainline FF game.

Zoe

Maybe they'll give him a spear or something to replace the katana...or maybe Cor is a guest character after all. I can't see two main heroes using the same weapon in a mainline FF game.

After seeing the yakudoshi thing, I'm not very optimistic about his survival :lol

After seeing the yakudoshi thing, I'm not very optimistic about his survival :lol

See what I mean? I've been feeling like his days as a main character were numbered since the first time they showed him in the reveal trailer. He really does feel like a character who's either going to die or turn against the party. He just doesn't mesh well with the rest of the crew, especially if Gladio already fills the "big bro" role.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
What if Noctis is an anti-hero? Their will to oppose the "Versus XIII" might also influence their protagonists, the perfect hero Lightning vs Noctis.

WiiFan

Neo Member
I think XII-style is the scale they're using, and Nomura has talked of seamlessness and not having separate battle screens. I'm not sure how airships will fit in with that scale wise though ... then Venice scenes may hint at that(?). I'd like 'physically existing' shops too (but then again, would a potentially fugitive prince buy goods from a corner store in what might be occupied territory?) .

The point is to feel free in a living world populated by hundreds of npcs!

About the "fugitive prince" thing, i think that maybe not the entire population knows how he looks like...and of course they don't expect him to enter their shops. Maybe Noctis will have to change his aspect and hide his identity someway...

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I didn't realize Squall was ever "cool"... Interesting. :p He's one of my least favorite main protagonists in the series personally.

Zidane all the way. ;)

tumblr_lv15t9n0Ln1qd7uwho1_r1_400.gif

Famassu

Nothing has been said about cities, npc interaction, shops, subquests...nothing? Something to point out that this is not like FFXIII?
There will be shops (they said how they've even modeled small gas stops with great detail and cities will of course have shops you can go into) and a long time ago Nomura has talked about them testing some complex crowd AIs for cities and such. As far as optional content goes, Nomura has said he doubts anyone will 100% the game on their first playthrough, apparently there's so much to do. Optional content including non-mandatory dungeons, summon battles and such.

What if Noctis is an anti-hero?

All things considered, his plot arc is pretty telegraphed as the "brash, impulsive young prince who learns a terrible lesson about maturity when his kingdom is invaded and his father is killed, then has to rally his friends and allies to take back his home".

I don't think we have to worry about him spending half the game actively plotting to commit genocide like a certain other protagonist whose name shall not be mentioned. :p

There will be shops (they said how they've even modeled small gas stops with great detail and cities will of course have shops you can go into) and a long time ago Nomura has talked about them testing some complex crowd AIs for cities and such. As far as optional content goes, Nomura has said he doubts anyone will 100% the game on their first playthrough, apparently there's so much to do. Optional content including non-mandatory dungeons, summon battles and such.

This. Sounds. AMAZING. Be still, my nostalgic heart.

WiiFan

Neo Member

santi_yo.gif

All things considered, his plot arc is pretty telegraphed as the "brash, impulsive young prince who learns a terrible lesson about maturity when his kingdom is invaded and his father is killed, then has to rally his friends and allies to take back his home".

I don't think we have to worry about him spending half the game actively plotting to commit genocide like a certain other protagonist whose name shall not be mentioned. :p

3 chapters is half the game? Said protagonist was also less plotting and more "I'm pissed off and not gonna think things through". Didn't really have a plan, and admits as much. Doesn't take much to change said protagonists mind, either.

What if Noctis is an anti-hero? Their will to oppose the "Versus XIII" might also influence their protagonists, the perfect hero Lightning vs Noctis.

Umm... if you got "Lightning is a perfect hero" out of XIII, you sorely missed the point of her character arc. Lightning is flawed as hell.

And stop trying to link XIII to XV.

Village

And then there's Tidus, who started out looking dorky and got even worse as soon as he started talking.

to be fair he had a really cool dad.

I didn't realize Squall was ever "cool"... Interesting. :p He's one of my least favorite main protagonists in the series personally.

Zidane all the way. ;)

He gets props because his antagonists motivation is from what I remember when broken down. If his milk shake cant bring boys to yard forever, no one gets to have milkshakes.

Am I a bad person for kinda wanting to see this?

God, I hope not. She's terrible even as a cameo character in other games. Her lack of personality sucks all the charisma out of the room. She's like a female Sam Worthington.

I'll agree that Lightning's had her time. It's just too bad she didn't have better writers. But she's had 2 protagonist roles (and she hilariously stole the lead role in Dissidia 012), an entire saga named around her, and several appearances in other games. Time for FF to move on.

Gbraga

I just hope the CG render target thing doesn't mean we still have some good 3 years ahead of us before this game comes out. If that's the case, then ghghngnhnnhnngnnn

ibaVOVa91OY2lc.gif

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Is there any confirmation those "FMVs" are really just that and not pre-rendered cutscenes using Luminous Engine?

Famassu

Is there any confirmation those "FMVs" are really just that and not pre-rendered cutscenes using Luminous Engine?
From what I understood, they aren't as fake as FFXIII's target render in 2006, which was made before they really had any of the specifics fully fleshed out or any of the tools done at all. FFXV's is after they've already worked on the platforms with nearly finished Luminous/fully functional custom tools for a year and how much they think they can squeeze out of the machines for this game in the end. So even if the final game doesn't look quite as good, it'll quite likely not be too far off of the trailer.

Hedge

Really? Whaaaat. That sounds glorious! Is that from a recent interview?

Optional dungeons and summons is what I live for. ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom