• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI and Next-Gen Gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoByte

If someone saying something on the internet without a shred of evidence or even logic makes you feel "fully vindicated" it's very easy to make you happy. Good for you! 😂
Some producer or some other ess also talking about pre-order sales; although not in as frank a set of terms os Khan.
I played a few hours of it, and it certainly blew me away. Way more than any turn-based game Square Enix made in the past several years as a matter of fact. And I love turn-based games (without being a mindless fanatic about a game mechanic, which is extremely irrational).

So here's one, which makes your statement factually wrong. 🤗
You think that I'm bellyaching about turn based combat? You haven't been keeping up with the thread.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
this is a huge factor.

remember that 15 was built-up from Versus XIII As the only hope after the shitshow that was the lighting saga.

People are skeptical. and FF has had pretty lackluster story-telling for a long time now.....this is why, the most important thing for FF16 is to have a pretty mind blowing story; that feel well made and COMPLETE.

In terms of gameplay....if welk executed we could see new fans giving this franchise a chance for the first time. (God of war 2018)
15 was a concept game and many people liked the concept and expected them to expand on it. Like BOTW to TOTK.

Hugare

15 was a concept game and many people liked the concept and expected them to expand on it. Like BOTW to TOTK.
Nah, man

It was a project forever in development hell that Square wanted to get out of the door no matter how complete the game was. Tabata's job wasn't even about making a good game, it was simply making a working product.

It wasn't a "concept" game, it was a "whatever we can do in order to ship it" game.

Nobody wanted more of that vision. They wanted Versus. Even with the DLCs, people were expecting more Versus mostly.

And at the end of the day it got waaay more than it deserved: a movie, anime series, 5 DLCs, a multiplayer mode, Royal Edition and etc.

Way more than better, much more deserving FF games got in the past

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nah, man

It was a project forever in development hell that Square wanted to get out of the door no matter how complete the game was. Tabata's job wasn't even about making a good game, it was simply making a working product.

It wasn't a "concept" game, it was a "whatever we can do in order to ship it" game.

Nobody wanted more of that vision. They wanted Versus. Even with the DLCs, people were expecting more Versus mostly.

And at the end of the day it got waaay more than it deserved: a movie, anime series, 5 DLCs, a multiplayer mode, Royal Edition and etc.

Way more than better, much more deserving FF games got in the past
Nah nah man tabata fixed a broken mess turning it into more of a concept of what it could be. All the dev time before it means nothing.

But hey all the masses will love this new action game for sure because it’s less “ complicated “ and “ looks “ pretty.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Who else on the preorder FF16 train?!
I NEVER bought FF 16 game on release date. I only got into FF with 7 remake 2 years ago on ps5. Then XV. Both are fantastic. Love it.
There is standard edition with this monochrome steelbook and deluxe with map and color steelbook. not sure yet which I prefer!

9QsAvcj.png

Deluxe is 100 $ !!!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I NEVER bought FF 16 game on release date. I only got into FF with 7 remake 2 years ago on ps5. Then XV. Both are fantastic. Love it.
There is standard edition with this monochrome steelbook and deluxe with map and color steelbook. not sure yet which I prefer!

9QsAvcj.png

Deluxe is 100 $ !!!

I had the Collector's edition on order, but had to cancel it due to a glitch on my bank account missing a decimal place. Freaked me out.

Now trying to order it again andi ts sold out everywhere :(

Will def pick up the Deluxe version if I can't get the CE.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

9QsAvcj.png

Deluxe is 100 $ !!!
I pre-ordered the deluxe edition for awhile now. I’m beyond hype for this!

Madflavor

9QsAvcj.png

Deluxe is 100 $ !!!

I pre-ordered awhile ago. Digitally. That steelbook is fucking fire tho!

Shifty1897

So now that the games out, the reviews and player impressions are in, looks like I was right.
If you mean that you were right in that gameplay is basically a standard character action game with light RPG elements and action set pieces, then yes? I wasn't really expecting a new level of action gameplay in this, I was expecting a good story, good music, and good graphics, and I've been getting all those so far.

When was the last time a final fantasy game raised the bar on gameplay? 1991 with IV and the Active Time Battle system, in my opinion.

ProtoByte

If you mean that you were right in that gameplay is basically a standard character action game with light RPG elements and action set pieces, then yes? I wasn't really expecting a new level of action gameplay in this, I was expecting a good story, good music, and good graphics, and I've been getting all those so far.
I was expecting the same thing. But the topic was about having gameplay that transcends that.

When was the last time a final fantasy game raised the bar on gameplay? 1991 with IV and the Active Time Battle system, in my opinion.
Does it matter? The market isn't going to continue to treat Final Fantasy with prestige if it doesn't raise the bar today.

Shifty1897

I was expecting the same thing. But the topic was about having gameplay that transcends that.

Does it matter? The market isn't going to continue to treat Final Fantasy with prestige if it doesn't raise the bar today.
In my opinion, FF16 did raise the gameplay bar over previous iterations. Considerably. That's all it needs to keep doing.

And to your other point, the market shouldn't treat the series with prestige after 13, 14 1.0, and 15 were bad games. 16 is the first mainline FF game that hasn't totally pissed me off at launch in 17 years.

Danjin44

ProtoByte ProtoByte Please tell us what game came out this gen or last gen that "transcends" when it comes gameplay? I dont get what the fuck "next gen" gameplay even means in here.

ProtoByte

ProtoByte ProtoByte Please tell us what game came out this gen or last gen that "transcends" when it comes gameplay? I dont get what the fuck "next gen" gameplay even means in here.
We've already had this discussion dude. Your posts are literally in this thread. If you need a refresher, go ahead and re-read them. I'm not getting into an argument about just because you feel indignant about it being pointed out that cutscene -> flat combat arena is PS2 game design.

welcome to the club. right up there with 'games that feel next-gen'...
I recommend you read the OP in full.

Danjin44

I'm not getting into an argument about just because you feel indignant about it being pointed out that cutscene -> flat combat arena is PS2 game design.
Oh yes because if the game is not open world that means from its from PS2......The funny things is there people here complaining about why this game doesn't play exactly like it came out in 1994.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Oh yes because if the game is not open world that means from its from PS2......The funny things is there people here complaining about why this game doesn't play exactly like it came out in 1994.

Not to mention its demonstrably false accusation. But of course, its another person who hasn't played the game, makes claims based on very small snippets of the game and tries to denigrate it to assert their preconceived notions.

ProtoByte

You know for a fact that we're not talking about open world or not open world.

We are talking about combat design. We are talking about enemy design. Level design, encounter design, etcetera. This is all stuff that's already in the thread.

Everything that I said about this game was true.

Last edited:

Danjin44

We are talking about combat design. We are talking about enemy design. Level design, encounter design, etcetera.

No, I'm currently playing the game you are absolutely wrong, dead fucking wrong.

ProtoByte

No, I'm currently playing the game you are absolutely wrong, dead fucking wrong.
Lmao

So, the enemies aren't spongey and/or built to stunt on? There are status effects? There's environmental destruction? There's verticality?

Because, the answer to all of those questions is no. Not even the people who like the game are saying as such.

I was also right about the interest going into the game, if the pre-order and initial reporting about sales are anything to go by.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

We are talking about combat design. We are talking about enemy design. Level design, encounter design, etcetera.

No, it isn't. LIterally everyone who has played the game has shown this. There are major criticisms with the game to be had - from its overly easy first playthrough, its insanely slow and poorly paced opening hours (side quests, ability availablility, lack of side content, etc), to its linear dungeon design. However, it isn't a "flat ps2 combat arena" like you claim.

Lmao

So, the enemies aren't spongey and/or built to stunt on?
Only enemies that are "spongey" are bosses, and they still go down within 2-3 min with smart use of abiltiies, proper use of stagger mechanics, and skillful play.

There are status effects?
Yes.

There's environmental destruction?
Yes, though much like DMC and Bayonetta - it doesn't effect the battle much outside of the first 5 seconds of entering a reoom and breaking things apart during the fight to give you more room to maneuver.

There's verticality?
Yes.

Because, the answer to all of those questions is no. Not even the people who like the game are saying as such.
Then you are talking with people who havent' played the game.

I was also right about the interest going into the game, if the pre-order and initial reporting about sales are anything to go by.
No, you are wrong and blatantly ignorant of the game. Not surprised from someone who hasn't played the damn thing.

Danjin44

Only enemies that are "spongey" are bosses, and they still go down within 2-3 min with smart use of abiltiies, proper use of stagger mechanics, and skillful play.
Heck even bosses dont take that long to kill especially compare to most JRPG bosses. If the enemies taking long to kill then mostly the players fault more than the game since if you know what you are doing absolulty can melt the enemies.

I'm starting to question if he actually played the game or did he just videos on Youtube.

Raonak

Banned
16 is literally the best combat an action-RPG has ever had.

Instead of doing the square thing of throw everything at the wall, they actually decided to focus on making the combat fun, responsive, and free of any extra gimmicks.

OP wants gimmicks that no-one actually cares about.

Lethal01

They raised it with the FF7 Remake battle system.

Great action game that actually uses ideas from it's turb based legacy to enhance it's action combat instead of just using it as a cheap aesthetic.

Danjin44

OP wants gimmicks that no-one actually cares about.
Exactly, why the fuck you want destructible environments when there is already lot of things going on during the combat? It does nothing to serve the actual combat.

Madflavor

So now that the games out, the reviews and player impressions are in, looks like I was right.

Dude how old are you? This is the 2nd time you've done this. You did it last time with that pre order report from a few weeks back. And now you necro'd the thread because you're so desperate for vindication since you're feelings got hurt that people disagreed with you. You're coming off really pathetic and petty here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom