• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Gameplay Demo + Presentation Discussion

Teslerum

As the other thread mainly focuses on environments and so much more was shown off, I thought it would be decent to have a separate thread about the Gameplay Demo.

At the end they've announced that there's going to be more in depth stuff about the RPG Elements next week, so keep on the lookout for that!

Some tidbits:

- Aside from fields/zones there are *stages*, which essentially are levels specific to quests (like in the Garuda stage shown of earlier this year). Stages differ in gameplay design/size/map design.
- Stages can be replayed. There's even a Online Leaderboard for it. .
- Garuda by the way is early in the game. The Eikon Battle basically serving as a (very general) tutorial.
- Eikon and Boss Battles in general consist of multiple stages changing the environment and the boss itself.

Untitled2.jpg

- There are 6 attributes in total. 3 what looks like are basic attributes (Strength, Vitality, Will) and 3 you can influence with Gear (Attack, Defense, Stagger).
- There are 6 Equipment slots. 3 for Basic Equipment and 3 Accessories.
- They showed off the game's *easy mode* via those accessories slots. Basically you can equip different *rings* that make the controls easier/more automatic. Think FFXV.
- There are other accessories too, giving actual gameplay benefits. In the shop there was another that gave you a cooldown on a certain ability.
- Speaking of shops, crafting was shown off too. It looks like you can refine weapons/gear too, but that wasn't shown
- Standard combat was explained a little more. Go to 49:00 in the video for that.

I'm probably forgetting something, please inform me if so.

Last edited:
Thank for this.

Have they release any trailers in High Quality yet? I think Gamespot release a Higher Quality version of the Environments trailer but nothing elese

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Idk about the more action oriented and “ stages” I’m hoping stages are more like instances in mmos.
And where are the other party members? Is it only the one guy?

Teslerum

Idk about the more action oriented and “ stages” I’m hoping stages are more like instances in mmos.
As mentioned there's a range of stages from a design and map standpoint so not a clear answer here.
Party members that are confirmed as of yet are Jill (Shiva), Cid (Ramuh) and Torgal (the dog). Torgal being the most permanent one. Jill and Torgal are seen in the demo.

Last edited:

lyan

From what they showed so far the impression I have on its structure is Witcher 2 with a hub.

Kev Kev

Well... it's better than what they've been showing, so it's a step in the right direction for me, but it still feels lacking in adventure and exploration. It just seems more and more like it's going to be an arcade-y beat em' up, with some RPG elements, especially with there being a hub area.

Confused Harry Potter GIF

I have no idea anymore lol. I think I'm just going to have to watch some play throughs when the game releases. I need to see what there is to do in these open areas (besides more combat) for me to get excited about playing it.

Teslerum

I need to see what there is to do in these open areas (besides more combat) for me to get excited about playing it.
Items, Hunts, Side-Quests, Stages/Dungeons (Whatever you're naming them, fields/zones contain multiple) Settlements/Towns (From the shown map alone way more than in any recent FF), Cities, People, (Like the ones wandering around the desert).

And possible other stuff that isn't shown in demo footage.

Last edited:

Shodai

I like the accessibility features, you can basically play it like FFVII remake or have it full on dark souls combat
Can you remember at what point during the video this was discussed? My old man eyes are having a tough time tracking everything on screen. I am a huge souls fan, so if it becomes a bit more methodical that would be great.

Mephisto40

Can you remember at what point during the video this was discussed? My old man eyes are having a tough time tracking everything on screen. I am a huge souls fan, so if it becomes a bit more methodical that would be great.
from around 49:00 onwards

Kev Kev

What exactly do you expect?
Verticality in the level design.

Have hidden pathways, hidden items/chests, a ladder or ledge to jump up to to find an area that wasn't plainly visible, a couple puzzles along the way, perhaps a small mini game, some other ways of traversal including boats, cars and airships, etc. Give the areas some verticality rather than them just being a linear pathway or an open area that is simply a large, empty space for more combat encounters. Give the player a reason to check every nook and cranny, and actual explore the beautiful levels.

They haven't shown what there is to do in towns, they haven't shown us what the side quests will be like (could just be more hunts), the one dungeon they did show was of course a linear hallway with combat arenas in between, we haven't seen what interacting with NPC's will be like, and the item pick ups we did see were literally in the pathway of Clive so it couldn't possibly be missed.

And of course there might be stuff they haven't shown. That's why I said I'll have to wait for a play through on YouTube. They just haven't shown enough of that verticality, and I suspect it's because the game doesn't have it. So unless thy show more of what I'm talking about, I have no idea if this game is for me or not.

Teslerum

Verticality in the level design.

Have hidden pathways, hidden items/chests, a ladder or ledge to jump up to to find an area that wasn't plainly visible, a couple puzzles along the way, perhaps a small mini game, some other ways of traversal including boats, cars and airships, etc. Give the areas some verticality rather than them just being a linear pathway or an open area that is simply a large, empty space for more combat encounters. Give the player a reason to check every nook and cranny, and actual explore the beautiful levels.

They haven't shown what there is to do in towns, they haven't shown us what the side quests will be like (could just be more hunts), the one dungeon they did show was of course a linear hallway with combat arenas in between, we haven't seen what interacting with NPC's will be like, and the item pick ups we did see were literally in the pathway of Clive so it couldn't possibly be missed.

And of course there might be stuff they haven't shown. That's why I said I'll have to wait for a play through on YouTube. They just haven't shown enough of that verticality, and I suspect it's because the game doesn't have it. So unless thy show more of what I'm talking about, I have no idea if this game is for me or not.
Yeah, those are negative assumptions.

Why would they even show things like that in general demos? What we got so far was very focused. FF demonstrations in the past fit that description, they don't typically feature hidden items/pathways/areas/minigames as well.

I mean you do you, but I can't even give an answer to that except that they mentioned side-quests and hunts separate, they mentioned the different design range from stages so that hints at other things/variety Etc. Etc. Maybe I'm the one that's too optimistic, but I have a very different impression.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

FF meets DMC.
So far, so good. I can see myself really...really sinking a lot of time into this.

I don`t get why some people are trying to hype up the graphics, though. Tech-wise the game is ..unimpressive to put it nicely. Something like HFW runs circles around it visually.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally i impressed with everything they showed so far from the combat to it’s aesthetics and how they gonna do exploration.

Also really how they show pixel version of your party in menus. Also now rated “M” they can show proper blood instead that stupid smoke effect we saw in FFVIIR.

Teslerum

Do we know if gear changes your appearance? Looks fantastic either way.
Gear Slots are weapon/belt/arm/3x Accessories. I do think your weapon will change appearance, couldn't say for the others.

He does look different from the earlier stage demo (cape among else), but I can't say if that's purely story dependant or if there's a costume/attire system in place.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

No and it's pissing me off. The preview press said the game looks absolutely mind blowing in proper 4k.

GIVE IT TO US NOW
Yeah, really bizarre they didn't release any of this material in 4k and Direct Feed on their channels.

1080p with Twitter/YouTube compression on top to make it even more blurry is the absolute filth.

All I can think is if they'll have a dedicated State of Play for it by the end of April, given the PS Showcase is supposed to be at the end of May.

Kumomeme

I cringed

It looks good, but not unbeliaveble. Nothing that they should prove that is running in real time on the PS5.

Specially this scene with the .mp4 waterfalls on the background
perhaps for those who has concern the final product might get downgraded since lot of gameplay demo running on powerfull pc before ported to console. these kind of stuff happened alot.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Who the fuck thought the gameplay was fake? It doesn't look nearly good enough to have these types of doubts...
dont underestimate people scepticism. particularly FF fans. negativity is higher within the community. we can even see it here on this forum.

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

cripterion

Honestly this still doesn't look good to me, the character models are dreadful.

The segment where he plays one handed could litteraly be taken from FFXV.🤣🤣

Last edited:

Pejo

Wish this was a spinoff instead of a mainline game. I like DMC, and FF used to be my favorite franchise of all time, but this is the least hyped I've been about a FF game. I'm sure it'll be better than the XIII trilogy but man...

Danjin44

Honestly this still doesn't look good to me, the character models are dreadful.
There is nothing dreadful about design, you guys just too used to Nomura design in your Final Fantasy.

Every time new JRPG gets announced most of you guys complain about “why we have to play as teenagers“ now we do get adult characters you guys still complain.

cripterion

There is nothing dreadful about design, you guys just too used to Nomura design in your Final Fantasy.

Every time new JRPG gets announced most of you guys complain about “why we have to play as teenagers“ now we do get adult characters you guys still complain.

I don't care for past FF design, the main character in this is really bland and generic and I was talking about technically it's not a good look. Just my 2 cents.

Minsc

Gold Member
This is the first video I've seen that's had me liking the game. The section at 15:30 showcasing the different environments and the Q&A at around 30:00 to the end (I skimmed it pretty fast but still got the jist of it), now I'm much more optimistic about the game. I'm still not sure it'll be far enough above mid-level FF games to make it to my best FFs, but at least it's looking like I don't want to skip it entirely anymore.

Danjin44

I don't care for past FF design, the main character in this is really bland and generic and I was talking about technically it's not a good look. Just my 2 cents.
Every fucking time JRPG gets announced either people complain its too"weeb" and now for this game its not "weeb" enough. At this point you guys throw shit like "generic" that no longer has any meaning.

They are going for FF14 like character designs but now its too "generic" what the fuck is that even mean? You guys expecting over top designs? but then you see people complain thats its too childish, I saw lot of that type of complain when Xenoblade 2 was coming out.

There is no pleasing people, they just want to complain for sake of complain.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Every time they show more of the game play, the influence of the DMC combat director becomes more and more obvious, and I think that's a positive for me.

I'm a lot more partial to ARPG's than turn based RPG's at this time in my gaming life.

Rykan

So... you don't like open world, but you don't like not-open world.
It's not like stage selection is suddenly the only alternative to open world games, c'mon.
Every fucking time JRPG gets announced either people complain its too"weeb" and now for this game its not "weeb" enough. At this point you guys throw shit like "generic" that no longer has any meaning.

They are going for FF14 like character designs but now its too "generic" what the fuck is that even mean? You guys expecting over top designs? but then you see people complain thats its too childish, I saw lot of that type of complain when Xenoblade 2 was coming out.

There is no pleasing people, they just want to complain for sake of complain.
Because those aren't the same people.

Last edited:

RCU005

Linear > stages > semi open world (god of war) > open world

I think with all this open world saturation, semi-open world is great. I will always prefer a linear story. BOTW’s little story suffered from being open world. Also, huge open worlds like that are for people that like to create their own experiences and therefore play games like Minecraft and such.

BOTW -as is- could’ve been called Assassin’s Creed, New IP or whatever, and people that like those kind of games would love it, because it’s more about the gameplay for them.

To me, games such as Final Fantasy, are more character and story oriented, so I want a linear story, and I believe complete open world would not allow a proper execution of it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I think with all this open world saturation, semi-open world is great. I will always prefer a linear story. BOTW’s little story suffered from being open world. Also, huge open worlds like that are for people that like to create their own experiences and therefore play games like Minecraft and such.

BOTW -as is- could’ve been called Assassin’s Creed, New IP or whatever, and people that like those kind of games would love it, because it’s more about the gameplay for them.

To me, games such as Final Fantasy, are more character and story oriented, so I want a linear story, and I believe complete open world would not allow a proper execution of it.
From all the showcase it’s seems they going for same structure as Xenoblade 1-3 and DQXI, they have open maps but it’s not open world, still linear story progression.

Teslerum

The segment where he plays one handed could litteraly be taken from FFXV.🤣🤣
That's... the entire point of that segment? It's an accessiblity option that dumbs the controls down and auto combos for you. It's not applicable to the leaderboards nor will it help you in higher difficulties.

It's literary meant for people that can't play correctly due to physical disability for example to help get them through the game. Or for example to serve as an replacement for an *easy* mode.

It's even got an immediately visible mark on the screen so you can't even show off using it.

What's your problem here?

Last edited:

cripterion

That's... the entire point of that segment? It's an accessiblity option that dumbs the controls down and auto combos for you. It's not applicable to the leaderboards nor will it help you in higher difficulties.

It's literary meant for people that can't play correctly due to physical disability for example to help get them through the game. Or for example to serve as an replacement for an *easy* mode.

It's even got an immediately visible mark on the screen so you can't even show off using it.

What's your problem here?
I'm not talking about accessibility option, i'm saying the footage could pass as FFXV.

Teslerum

I'm not talking about accessibility option, i'm saying the footage could pass as FFXV.
Yes you are, because thats what that entire part and footage was about. Showcasing that accessibility option. I can do the same in Tales of games by changing a few settings and recreate that moment. Is Tales XV too then?

Secondly, no it can‘t. What‘s shown in that combo is already more varied than anything you can pull off in XV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom