• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI New Trailer Released | Game is releasing on Summer 2023 to PlayStation 5

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
If liking this game makes me a "weeb" then......
guilty-guilty-as-charged.gif
I can be considered a 'weeb' too. Bet there are weebs and there are weebs. If you know what I mean.

Madflavor

That's what I keep hearing. But it dosen't appeal to me at all. (The online nature and everything around it.).

Of course I hope this game fulfill my 'Final Fantasy' lol. But I am VERY reserved.

So I've played the game and all the expansions. General consensus being that it's the best Final Fantasy story in a long time. The guy who wrote the expansion Heavesward, which is one of the more praised expansions in terms of story, is writing this game. In fact there are a number of people who worked on FFXIV who also worked on this game. FFXIV is Yoshi-P's baby, and he's the Producer for FFXVI. Soken who is arguably the best FF composer (next to Uematsu), is also composing the music for this one. On paper, it looks like FFXVI has an A-team working on it. Also Yoshi-P has taken a lot of inspiration from Yasumi Matsuno, the guy behind Final Fantasy Tactics. You can see that style of storytelling all over FFXIV.

I'm not saying this is all the reason for you to get hyped over, but it's enough to be optimistic about it.

Koenigssee

Having loved XIV ShB / EW , I'm not really digging the aesthetical choices or the music not gonna lie. Everything is massive with loads of particle effects but still somehow feels off.
But I'll be there day one.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
So I've played the game and all the expansions. General consensus being that it's the best Final Fantasy story in a long time. The guy who wrote the expansion Heavesward, which is one of the more praised expansions in terms of story, is writing this game. In fact there are a number of people who worked on FFXIV who also worked on this game. FFXIV is Yoshi-P's baby, and he's the Producer for FFXVI. Soken who is arguably the best FF composer (next to Uematsu), is also composing the music for this one. On paper, it looks like FFXVI has an A-team working on it. Also Yoshi-P has taken a lot of inspiration from Yasumi Matsuno, the guy behind Final Fantasy Tactics. You can see that style of storytelling all over FFXIV.

I'm not saying this is all the reason for you to get hyped over, but it's enough to be optimistic about it.
That is what I keep hearing....let say I am very cautiously optimistic. Hope 🙏 they actually deliver.

OsirisBlack

Banned

They released a list with all of the major players directly involved on the project today also. It is indeed the A team working on this game.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
You just read what you wanted to read. I am very clear about what I said.

Is not about FFXVI in isolation (by itself).

You sure do shit up threads, though, don't you?

Nothing more exciting to read than GuyWhoDoesntLikeGameButPostsInGamesThreads69 rambling on for six pages in an 8 page thread with people genuine enough to take the bait at face value as criticism.

See, I could tell what the party game was from two posts in and began answering in playful earnestness, but I can't and probably never will understand people who make their opinion known....and just...keep...going...on...and...on.

If I don't like the direction something looks like it's going, I'll drop in, say my piece, then move on to things that I *am* interested in. Logistically, it seems to be more worthy of my time. I'm not slamming you. Do what you do, but it just seems like you're a rabble rouser.

I'm totally a fucking weeb, though.

Conceding the fact that I'm not a Final Fantasy fan, this trailer and the shown gameplay didn't do anything to add any excitement for the game imo. Obviously there will be more to show, but I find it unlikely I'll play this unless it gets phenomenal reviews or ends up on Game Pass in a few years (assuming it ever comes to Xbox). The setting looks interesting but don't care much for the characters and the combat looks pretty generic (aside from the weird monster battles which don't look fun at all.... just my opinion)

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
You sure do shit up threads, though, don't you?
You angry?
Nothing more exciting to read than GuyWhoDoesntLikeGameButPostsInGamesThreads69 rambling on for six pages in an 8 page thread with people genuine enough to take the bait at face value as criticism.
Wait wat?

See, I could tell what the party game was from two posts in and began answering in playful earnestness, but I can't and probably never will understand people who make their opinion known....and just...keep...going...on...and...on.
Sorry...i don't understand what you are trying to say.

If I don't like the direction something looks like it's going, I'll drop in, say my piece, then move on to things that I *am* interested in. Logistically, it seems to be more worthy of my time. I'm not slamming you. Do what you do, but it just seems like you're a rabble rouser.
Ok?

I'm totally a fucking weeb, though.
I am too. Violet Evergarden is a fucking masterpiece in so many levels. And I listen to a lot of anime music too.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
You angry?

Fuming. My red hot fury bubbles through these veins like rivers of magma, the seething flame of which can only be cooled and hardened by your immediate dispersal from this, the thread of ages. My countenance and humor reflect that of a man, nay, a beast- who is driven to the edge of the abyss and finds within it darkness that cannot come close to matching the pitch and soot that comprises his soul, all because of you and your antiquated prattling.

In this hour, I scream at the heavens, a bestial roar not matched since the sunrise of the day David Jaffe made a comment in jest about my birthmother, the matriarch of Kira's clan, and the pride of his elders household. So profaned and desecrated are the ivory halls of my mind's Palace from the speech of heresy you committed on Final Fantasy XVI that I shall not be calmed or silenced till any voice foolhardy and drunken take flight from this land of NeoGAF, the fields my people till, and the mountains we climb when we dare to dream.

Fie, villain!

Last edited:

Quantum253

Holy balls. I guess the Summons are called Eikons this time around? I dig it, nice subtle reference to FFIX and the Summoner tribe. Also pretty sure a line with "strife," was intentional for the trailer. Garuda looking a lot the XIV version. These are the little nods I caught on first viewing.

Also, when the UI came up and I saw the Summon names, THAT got me. These huge, epic battles and you get to control Summons that look as large and visually impressive as the ones in XV? It's not just a scene that plays? Fuck yes.
Those summon battles will be badass, one of my favorite parts of the FF series. It was making me think if you got to control and battle colossi in Shadow of the Colossus.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Fuming. My red hot fury bubbles through these veins like rivers of magma, the seething flame of which can only be cooled and hardened by your immediate dispersal from this, the thread of ages. My countenance and humor reflect that of a man, nay, a beast- who is driven to the edge of the abyss and finds within it darkness that cannot come close to matching the pitch and soot that comprises his soul, all because of you and your antiquated prattling.

In this hour, I scream at the heavens, a bestial roar not matched since the sunrise of the day David Jaffe made a comment in jest about my birthmother, the matriarch of Kira's clan, and the pride of his elders household. So profaned and desecrated are the ivory halls of my mind's Palace from the speech of heresy you committed on Final Fantasy XVI that I shall not be calmed or silenced till any voice foolhardy and drunken take flight from this land of NeoGAF, the fields my people till, and the mountains we climb when we dare to dream.

Fie, villain!
Ok onii-chan.

DonF

Music sounded amazing, great editing. I need more gameplay yo know if it's a day one or a wait. If it's more like XV, I'll pass.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Music sounded amazing, great editing. I need more gameplay yo know if it's a day one or a wait. If it's more like XV, I'll pass.

I really like the way they've been incorporating classic Final Fantasy themes into new arrangements/tracks. I'll admit, music is what I noticed least about the two trailers released so far, but it does sound pretty great.

Chukhopops

What the hell was that Dissidia UI and that gameplay? Those health bars?

They are clearly going deeper and deeper into the gameplay style of FFVIIR and FFXV.

Good for people who liked those but that’s a gigantic hell no from me.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
May a dark pall fall over House Picozo!

May Dusk Golem and Jeff Grubb, the envoys of Hell, make rumors about you that aren't true!

May Jason Schreier write bad journalism about your posting!

CURSE-YE-HAME-HA
Chill out and eat an Onigiri.

One time I was a fan on FF...in fact, FFIX was my first final fantasy and JRPG and I was so blown away that I still remember it like it was yesterday....but I grew up and Square Soft became Square Enix....and everything went to shit.

So, pardon me if it takes more than fluff to make me wet.

O9SeABM.jpg

GenericUser

Graphics are cool but the combat system is just too hectic for me. I'm an old man, that grew up with the turn based Final Fantasys from the 90s. Might pick it up at a discount, just for old times sake.

Robb

Gold Member
Not my type of game but the the trailer was pretty great, I always love the look of the summons in these games. The character models look very flat though.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
solo only?

I dont mind..but still, seems too lonely if solo only : (

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Gameplay wise? I would disagree but it’s a matter of opinion.

I ain’t even mad in the end, it’s like seeing a new Mario game which plays like Call of Duty. I would just shrug and play another platformer.

XV was braindead combat. It was literally a challenge to get a Game Over. You held an attack button and held a dodge button and used items when you got into critical HP. Yeah there were combos and spells and chains you could learn, but at BEST XV was combat that was crowd management and positioning.

VIIR was all about keeping a steady stream of attacks and abilities from all members of your party to stagger the enemy. There's so much more depth and moment to moment micro management in VIIR that you really need to stay engaged in basically every battle.

If your idea that they're similar comes from neither having a turn based system and you can attack whenever you want, sure, but everything from abilities, desperation moves, Summons, character development, leveling and battle flow is different between the two. Yes, they're both action games, but...

Try playing VIIR on Hard Mode like you play XV. The differences will make themselves painfully, abundantly clear.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
XV was braindead combat. It was literally a challenge to get a Game Over. You held an attack button and held a dodge button and used items when you got into critical HP. Yeah there were combos and spells and chains you could learn, but at BEST XV was combat that was crowd management and positioning.

VIIR was all about keeping a steady stream of attacks and abilities from all members of your party to stagger the enemy. There's so much more depth and moment to moment micro management in VIIR that you really need to stay engaged in basically every battle.

If your idea that they're similar comes from neither having a turn based system and you can attack whenever you want, sure, but everything from abilities, desperation moves, Summons, character development, leveling and battle flow is different between the two. Yes, they're both action games, but...

Try playing VIIR on Hard Mode like you play XV. The differences will make themselves painfully, abundantly clear.
I also hated FFXV's combat, I made peace with the fact the mainline FF will never return to turn based combat...fine but if they are doing action combat then give me a proper one and FFXV was NOT good action combat, thankfully FFVIIR was MUUUUUCH better and its seems they are going right direction.

I still dont know the full detail how the combat in FFXVI is going to work but the combat designer from DMC5 and Dragon Dogma is working on this, I have confidence they know what they are doing.

Labadal

I'm uncertain about the summon battles. On one hand, they look spectacular, on the other hand; can they make them fun to play.

I'm reserving judgement on the game for now. I need either a deep dive video, or wait for a few player videos after release to see if the game is for me or not.

Chukhopops

Just because they have different mechanics and balance (although I played FFVIIR in Normal and you can absolutely mash your way out of it) doesn’t make them a different sub-genre of action RPGs. I agree that 7R has better gameplay.

Again, not saying it’s bad but I simply prefer other styles of gameplay for JRPGs, either turn based or ATB-style like Xenoblade.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Again, not saying it’s bad but I simply prefer other styles of gameplay for JRPGs, either turn based or ATB-style like Xenoblade.
I also big fan of Xenobalde's combat system but I just couldn't gell with how FFXV's combat worked.

DelireMan7

I woke up this morning and so that a Final Fantasy XVI trailer dropped. Not gonna lie, I was pretty excited.

I love the medieval/fantasy settings revolving around summons. But my hype dropped a bit when seeing all the combat scene.
The combat looks flashy and cool but don't know... Too much action maybe.

But I am in a middle of FF Tactics right now so the gap between Tactical combat and action might be too big.

Glad we have a release window. I am waiting for it.

I woke up this morning and so that a Final Fantasy XVI trailer dropped. Not gonna lie, I was pretty excited.

I love the medieval/fantasy settings revolving around summons. But my hype dropped a bit when seeing all the combat scene.
The combat looks flashy and cool but don't know... Too much action maybe.

But I am in a middle of FF Tactics right now so the gap between Tactical combat and action might be too big.

Glad we have a release window. I am waiting for it.
The hud during combat makes it look like a 3d fighting game. I honestly wasn't sure if this was a trailer for ff16 or the next Dissidia FF ...im not a fan of the hud ...it takes up too much of the screen as well

Last edited:

Boss Mog

They kept saying it was done and now it turns out we have to wait over a year. That really sucks, but the game looks like it'll be worth the wait.

DelireMan7

The Hudson during combat makes it look like a 3d fighting game. I honestly wasn't sure if this was a trailer for ff16 or the next Dissidia FF ...im not a fan of the hud ...it takes up too much of the screen as well

This ! It was my feeling. Let see the final gameplay but it was exactly my feeling. Hope the combat is not just mashing everything.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

yea FF7remake hard mode is actually fun to play as you need to plan your tactics with the right materia well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom