• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI New Trailer Released | Game is releasing on Summer 2023 to PlayStation 5

The audio and visuals are top notch. The Eikons look spectacular.

The part with the staggered Stone Goaler, so many attacks, such little impact. A majority of the other battle scenes looked the same way.

I have a feeling that the game won't respect my time, I may have to pass on this.

Oh well, back to FF14 free trial I go 🤡

Kumomeme

2023 will be busy year for CBU3 particularly Yoshida

both FFXVI and FFXIV's next expansion supposed to be released next year

url

Haggard

Banned
the parts that seemed to be actual gameplay and are now floating around as gifs look really underwhelming from a graphical standpoint.
But, well...they got another year of development.

NahaNago

The trailer simply felt like a continuation of the last one. I still want to see more of the world. Still not sold on the game, correction still not hyped on the game.

Gandih42

Looks really good to me, art design, music, visuals, gamepay, story. I think this direction of active combat looks much better than what was in XV. Based on the UI and the gameplay snippets, it looks like an evolution of the Dragons Dogma combat. Special moves mapped to specific inputs on the right side, and some kind of style-switch related to the Eikons? (if you look at the top left). Looks like he is chaining together moves from different Eikons in some of the clips.

Honestly didn't expect to be so hyped for it.

Serianox

Looks great so far but the only thing that kind of puts me down is that it looks like it's only one character and no party stuff. After consuming ffxiv for a few months straight i'm looking forward to this.

SkylineRKR

I'm hyped for this since the first reveal. Have faith in Yoshida. It will highly likely be a very good entry and better than the previous few single player ones.

Blendernaut

Neo Member
Hum.. I loved it, BUT

Don't you think it's weird that the video just shows gameplay during combat? FInal Fantasy should also have some exploring of the world, cities, talking to people, etc. So, shouldn't we get to see at least a character running throught the world, and not just fighting?

Weird,

DelireMan7

So after a rewatch, I can say I love the music, the settings and art direction.

Combat does look OK but I need to see less frantic action to judge. But those ugly, yellow number damage covering the screen are just awful. Hope it's removed for the final game or turned down to fit more the mood of the game.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Does anyone know where I can download a clean 4k version of the trailer? Thanks

Elysion

Banned
I just hope the combat isn’t too ‘twitchy’. This is still supposed to be a rpg, not DMC or a fighting game or whatever. I don’t want to have to learn combos and shit.

Honestly, if party members gets into the way the director invisioned combat, I rather they just scratch it entirely so as to avoid a XV scenario.

A FF game without a party would be a terrible idea. Traveling the world together with a bunch of characters, all with their own stories, is the basis for every FF, or even most jrpgs in general. Just having a single dude wandering around and fighting twitchy battles sounds extremely boring for a FF game.

EDMIX

Glad it's next summer. Might be possible to walk into a store to buy a PS5 by then. Lol, who am I kidding.

So help me god if they announce a Pro next year. I will be greedy and just wait till fall 2023 and buy everything used that I missed out on lol

If I can find a PS5 before this game comes out, its a day 1....but if that Pro gets that announcement.we got to do what we got to do lol (or we might end up with 2 and just gift one to a family member)

I'd love for FFXVI to stick to this window, but I feel it will really be fall 2023, also when Yakuza 8 will release...

Go_Ly_Dow

So they're saying the game is playable start to finish and in tweaking and polishing stage. Late last year they were saying similar things.

Summer is a strange time to release an FF game and if the game is close to being done, surely it'd be possible to getting this out in Spring with a push? I could see them bringing this forward to March / April when they next show a trailer, presumably at the PS showcase.

Hype.

Need more info on game system, world to explore, let me know we still have weapons, armors, accessories, magics, items, things to find and collect.

No party is disappoint though.

Kev Kev

I just hope the combat isn’t too ‘twitchy’. This is still supposed to be a rpg, not DMC or a fighting game or whatever. I don’t want to have to learn combos and shit.

A FF game without a party would be a terrible idea. Traveling the world together with a bunch of characters, all with their own stories, is the basis for every FF, or even most jrpgs in general. Just having a single dude wandering around and fighting twitchy battles sounds extremely boring for a FF game.
And that’s all that trailer showed us. First one wasn’t much better. So I’m not sure what everyone is celebrating here, it didn’t even look like FF to me. We need to see (or at least hear!) more about what kind of FF this is going to be, bc from that trailer it’s a fighting game with summons.

I was already skeptical about this game but now I’m just straight up in rejection mode. I’m not liking the what they have showed us of 16. All they’ve done is confirm my suspicions that this is going to be a third person action game with light FF elements. Yeah no thanks.

Elitro

I feel like a boomer, i'm not interested at all in this combo gameplay. Really miss playing something more strategic...

Other than that, the tendency towards more maturity in their games is a big step forward, although the bad guy voiceover couldn't sound any more generic...

Graphics on FF games don't really impress me that much anymore (to be fair SE really does spoil us with them). The FF's i have played are 13, 14 and now 7rmk and both 13 and 7rmk feel like style over substance tbh.

But who knows! I will certainly be keeping an eye on it :)

GymWolf

Yeah, you have show me way more than some summons and badly cut gameplay to convince me but i like the more adult tone, it felt like a dragon age trailer (kinda)

Reactions: Fuz

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Hum.. I loved it, BUT

Don't you think it's weird that the video just shows gameplay during combat? FInal Fantasy should also have some exploring of the world, cities, talking to people, etc. So, shouldn't we get to see at least a character running throught the world, and not just fighting?

Weird,
They'll probably do it gradually. Those are the features for demos and gameplay-focused trailers.
They may go the FF14 route and have the "party characters" still travel alongside you, even if they aren't involved in the gameplay or if only occasionally participate as guest members. So far there's a big disconnect between how they are presenting the story (with a lot of character introductions, even the official site gets updated with char info) and how they are presenting the gameplay (Clive alone fighting bad guys), so it's possible that they are deliberately hiding some things in this regard.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Man....I am way more excited for this that I thought I'd be. And I was already pretty excited from the first trailer.

Post-time skip Clive has to be my favorite FF protagonist design ever.

He's basically SE's take on a Devil May Cry character.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I feel like a boomer, i'm not interested at all in this combo gameplay. Really miss playing something more strategic...

Other than that, the tendency towards more maturity in their games is a big step forward, although the bad guy voiceover couldn't sound any more generic...

Graphics on FF games don't really impress me that much anymore (to be fair SE really does spoil us with them). The FF's i have played are 13, 14 and now 7rmk and both 13 and 7rmk feel like style over substance tbh.

But who knows! I will certainly be keeping an eye on it :)
I’m also an old timer but I don’t miss the old FF combat at all. There was nothing even remotely strategic about the ATB/turn-based battle systems. They superficially felt “smart” because you were picking stuff from a menu. But really you could win almost every non-boss battle by picking “attack” until everything is dead.

Even boss battles require only the most basic, simple “strategic” decision making e.g. use the element they’re weak against, heal party members with low HP, don’t attack while they’re doing their counterattack stance, etc.

Elitro

I’m also an old timer but I don’t miss the old FF combat at all. There was nothing even remotely strategic about the ATB/turn-based battle systems. They superficially felt “smart” because you were picking stuff from a menu. But really you could win almost every non-boss battle by picking “attack” until everything is dead.

Even boss battles require only the most basic, simple “strategic” decision making e.g. use the element they’re weak against, heal party members with low HP, don’t attack while they’re doing their counterattack stance, etc.
Sure, fair point. Although it does feel the same with the action battle system, for normal fights in ff7 rmk i can pretty much kill everything just by spamming attack on cloud. The point is more about flavor, and i'm not a fan of the combo based system (ended up ditching tales of Arise because of it).

However i really enjoy playing ff14, The MMO style real time combat really works wonders. And you won't be able to win fights for anything but Melee classes with auto attack :).

Swift_Star

Banned
I surely don’t miss the old Final Fantasy combat but I miss the old storytelling. There’s something about the themes, party dynamic and characters that I feel it’s missing since XII.

Maybe I’m just older.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This has likely been discussed in this thread already, but the big reason for optimism with FFXVI is Kazutoyo Maehiro right? Guy is responsible for what many believe is the best FF story and the best FF game in FFXIV?

Is that accurate? Are there any other reasons for optimism outside of enjoying the trailers released thus far?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Sure, fair point. Although it does feel the same with the action battle system, for normal fights in ff7 rmk i can pretty much kill everything just by spamming attack on cloud. The point is more about flavor, and i'm not a fan of the combo based system (ended up ditching tales of Arise because of it).

However i really enjoy playing ff14, The MMO style real time combat really works wonders. And you won't be able to win fights for anything but Melee classes with auto attack :).
Yeah FF 14 combat is pretty great, I wouldn’t mind a single player game with that style combat. I enjoyed XII or XIII as well. Plus the Xenoblade series.

Really I’ll take anything except the traditional FF/DQ style battles. I loved all those classic games but they just bore me to tears now.

Naked Lunch

Help me out here because I havent been following it - but is there any rumors of this being a timed exclusive at all? To PC or others.
If not, this is 100% the best next gen system seller exclusive ive seen in a long time.
Really quite something - nice to see Japan get their shit together once again.

Im not a fan of the decision to go more DMC flippy ridiculous combo heavy - was hoping for more grounded Vagrant Story-like - but there is no denying its still awesome.

Elysion

Banned
I wonder how the summons will work. It seems some characters are able to transform into them, but we also know that the MC has some abilities from each of the summons. Does that mean he can transform into all of them? Or does each party member (if there are party members) transform into a different one?

I like the idea of being able to transform into a giant monster to fight other giant monsters; that’s something I’ve wanted ever since Shadow of the Colossus, though I wonder how that would work in practice, since I doubt they’ll allow us to destroy whole cities in the game while we’re in that giant form. It would probably have to be restricted to certain open areas somehow.

manfestival

After playing FF14, I can believe in this title. It is truly the first FF game since maybe 10 that I have had any hype for.

Synless

5 in 16 years ...from a trivial mathematical calculation 10 in 32 years? And people already complain that 5 are a lots
However, unlike gears or uncharted… it’s a different world, characters, gameplay, and storyline. 16 games don’t matter a shit when all of them are so different.

a new new FF? and it seems weird when people complain about too many Uncharted god of war halo Forza or Gear ......... damn ff 16 ....... 16
There were 3 on NES, 3 on SNES, 3 on PS1, 3 on PS2.

Then, as the generations became significantly longer, we got 1 mainline offine entry per generation and those (XIII and XV) were among the worst in the series.

Also it's dumb to compare Final Fantasy to Uncharted or Gears of War. Final Fantasy games are completely different games from each other. They are completely unrelated JRPGs with vastly different gameplay.

If FFXVI was actually a sequel to FFXV, I don't think many of us would be nearly as excited.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
The game is playable from start to finish but they couldn't release a trailer that actually conveys what the story or characters will be like? Really deflates the hype.

Top Bottom