• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI New Trailer Released | Game is releasing on Summer 2023 to PlayStation 5

Anyone else get FFVIII Squall vibe from this scene?

8IZWnxL.png

100%. That's how I know you're an oldschool gamer. That's totally the inspiration for this scene.

Jinzo Prime

Yoshida and Maehiro love classic Funal Fantasy, so expect many references to the older games in 16. Soken is practically Uematsu's protege and the love of those classic tunes (especially the Prelude) is evident throughout this trailer. Overall I expect this team to knock it out of the park with this game, and hope to play it on PC one day 😁.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I am actually very excited about this game. Everyone attached to it is literally god-tier in their field. This isn't the A-team it's an S Tier team.

Masayoshi Soken
is a fucking genius.

Every aspect of this game is handled by the best in their field.

Naoki Yoshida
Loves his job and does not half-ass anything he is very passionate.

Kazutoyo Maehiro
Wrote Heavens ward and FFXII

Hiroshi Takai
Solid ass track record
I personally liked the last remnant and FFV

Ryota Suzuki
Combat designer of Dragons Dogma and DMCV as well as working on MVC2 ... cannot wait to see what he does with this one especially with the Eikon battles.

Yea Im hype as fuck.

Rykan

That's what I keep hearing. But it dosen't appeal to me at all. (The online nature and everything around it.).

Of course I hope this game fulfill my 'Final Fantasy' lol. But I am VERY reserved.
That's not what he asked. He asked if you played it. It would make you look rather stupid for attacking and degrading people who are excited after the trailer when you haven't even played the previous game by the same director and team, you see.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
After 16 games FF universe is freaking boring to me. I don't have to like it, I just think 10 games are enough and 16 is just too much. Not all games have major gameplay changes,especially among the first entries, let's say that the latter continues with its action combat on the same line as the previous one and the recent remake. So I'm not impressed at all
The games aren’t set on the same universe. I feel you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Swift_Star

Banned
Remember, PoC is only applicable if your skin is very dark or your facial features are stereotypical of another ethnicity or race. All Asians must have incredibly slanted eyes. Anyone from the Middle East and South America must have enough melanin in their skin to be decidedly not white. If not, then those people are not <insert ethnicity or race here> enough. Because remember, stereotyping is bad until they need to stereotype something to manufacture outrage.

Sarcasm aside, this is a Japanese-made game with a medieval aesthetic set in a purely fictional world. If they decide that this world is largely racially homogenous with few deviations, then that is their choice. The lore and the story at hand are not suddenly improved because you slapped in some characters for the sake of diversity.
This is amusing when seen by the perspective that final fantasy characters are usually Japanese, but Era claims Cloud is somehow American, but he isn’t, the guy looks like it was taken directly out of a Japanese boyband as are a lot of the pretty boys from FF games.

Is this game only playable with a single character? Then fuck this game. Final Fantasy always has party system. I hope this game has it. So far looks like DMC rip-off.

Surely he must have allies in combat, but the focus is obviously on him in combat, and I guess from there they cleverly incorporate ally abilities.

Varteras

Gold Member
This is amusing when seen by the perspective that final fantasy characters are usually Japanese, but Era claims Cloud is somehow American, but he isn’t, the guy looks like it was taken directly out of a Japanese boyband as are a lot of the pretty boys from FF games.
f0b119647cf65edee1bd9245137acabbf6a415b8.jpg

Yep. Anyone who takes a good look at this and comes to the conclusion that this is somehow a typical white American and not an uncommon, yet existing, Asian look with blonde hair doesn't have any idea the kind of diversity you actually find in "people of color".

The games aren’t set on the same universe. I feel you don’t know what you’re talking about.
i feel you are wrong. I repeat I don't have to keep liking it and getting excited just to please the fans who still like FF everyone has their own tastes and after 16 games it's just like an assassins creed or a COD to me . And it's a multi-platform (should be confirmed as timed exclusive no?) so before we start talking about console war. No it does not

stickkidsam

f0b119647cf65edee1bd9245137acabbf6a415b8.jpg

Yep. Anyone who takes a good look at this and comes to the conclusion that this is somehow a typical white American and not an uncommon, yet existing, Asian look with blonde hair doesn't have any idea the kind of diversity you actually find in "people of color".
Because of you I just had to read Wikipedia to figure out what the fuck Caucasian actually means and now I have more questions than when I started. So fuck it I'm just using the color wheel.

Cloud is definitely no typical white boi but I think it's pretty Zack Fair to think he's not just a straight yellow guy either. Yuffie literally comes from Final Fantasy Japan so clearly there's SOME difference. I've always thought he was more like one of those creamcicles that has vanilla and orange ice cream.

Rea

Surely he must have allies in combat, but the focus is obviously on him in combat, and I guess from there they cleverly incorporate ally abilities.
I miss the old final fantasy games which have party system turn-based RPG. From what i have seen from trailers, i think this game is just DMC rip off with summons and skills. I hate it. Hope i am wrong. Would love to see if it's similar to FF7 Remake combat.

Varteras

Gold Member
Because of you I just had to read Wikipedia to figure out what the fuck Caucasian actually means and now I have more questions than when I started. So fuck it I'm just using the color wheel.

Cloud is definitely no typical white boi but I think it's pretty Zack Fair to think he's not just a straight yellow guy either. Yuffie literally comes from Final Fantasy Japan so clearly there's SOME difference. I've always thought he was more like one of those creamcicles that has vanilla and orange ice cream.
Lmao yeah. It's a definite rabbit hole when you start questioning what it means to be "white" as a physical descriptor. At the end of the day, white skin is simply a common trait of "white people". But that trait is not exclusive nor are all white people necessarily white skinned. Many Asians are just as white, if not even more so, than white people. It's not just white people either. Even among black people you see traits far more common among white people like narrower noses, thinner lips, etc. That's why groups of people like ResetEra need to shut the fuck up and eat a double decker shit sandwich. They generalize and stereotype and scream in ignorance just as much, if not more so, than the people they criticize. Japanese creators will often draw or render Japanese characters in ways that are often considered the most beautiful among their pop culture. This happens to skew more towards features that are commonly associated with white people but are not exclusive to them.

And lol at "creamcicle"

After the new info I'm more excited about this game than anything else that is announced for 2023. I'm getting GoTY vibes from everything I'm seeing, it doesn't seem to be falling for the usual JRPG shortcomings that hold back the genre.

I loved Zelda BoTW but I have a hard time picturing how a sequel could be much better, this on the other hand is hitting every right note and looking like the real deal.

Last edited:

Dolodolo

Based on the original trailer that specifically pointed out that it was a timed console exclusive, I would say the chances are fairly high that it does.

Yes. It will only be necessary to wait 2+ years, as it is now happening with FF7 Remake
And then Sony will just buy the rest of Square Enix and the xbox release interval will change to "never"

Last edited:

reksveks

Yeah, but it's a final fantasy trait to be controlling multiple players.

Back to the trailer, I am quietly excited except for the Eikon battles which looks very 'weird'. It doesn't look FF like.

The battle system still looks good except for the possibility that you are still largely controlling one player. FF XV, I didn't need to or want to really change from Noctis. FF7R, I wanted to and then in hard mode, felt like I needed to.

Last edited:
I miss the old final fantasy games which have party system turn-based RPG. From what i have seen from trailers, i think this game is just DMC rip off with summons and skills. I hate it. Hope i am wrong. Would love to see if it's similar to FF7 Remake combat.

I love and prefer the turn based system, and wish they would find a way to make that look more stylish and action based of course, but I'm open to new things. It was a major leap for me to try KOTOR and Mass Effect back when I did because they were real-time. Something about them being semi-real time or real-time just didn't gel with me at first, but once I started playing them, it made sense and felt fun. So long as they handle the RPG feel correctly.

Reactions: Rea

Teslerum

I mean as much as people complain about DMC combat there’s a not so insignificant chance that there are going to be gameplay systems at work that are going to be deemed too complex/obtuse by the average player considering a SAGA veteran is actually directing this whole thing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I made a peace with the fact mainline FF will never go back to turn based combat but I still have Shin Megami Tensei/Persona and Dragon Quest for my turn based goodness.

In all honesty, I might get over the lack of party members IF I get a confirmation that the game has CG cutscenes (and more than just an opening and ending). But it's been 2 trailers now and we haven't seen a glimpse of any CG.

And no idc if you think CG cutscenes are "obsolete," yes the visuals are great but CG cutscenes still have far higher fidelity than regular in-engine cutscenes. I want my eye candy.

Also, the whole "no party members" thing would be a much easier pill to swallow if the gap between mainline releases weren't so enormous.

I love VIIR but it pains me that this team will probably on this project for another 7 years. I'd rather they work on a new mainline game (with no Nojima). At least then it would be like 2-4 years between entries rather than fucking 6-7.

i feel you are wrong. I repeat I don't have to keep liking it and getting excited just to please the fans who still like FF everyone has their own tastes and after 16 games it's just like an assassins creed or a COD to me . And it's a multi-platform (should be confirmed as timed exclusive no?) so before we start talking about console war. No it does not
Are you drunk? Your posts are entirely nonsensical.

YukiOnna

In all honesty, I might get over the lack of party members IF I get a confirmation that the game has CG cutscenes (and more than just an opening and ending). But it's been 2 trailers now and we haven't seen a glimpse of any CG.

And no idc if you think CG cutscenes are "obsolete," yes the visuals are great but CG cutscenes still have far higher fidelity than regular in-engine cutscenes. I want my eye candy.

Also, the whole "no party members" thing would be a much easier pill to swallow if the gap between mainline releases weren't so enormous.

I love VIIR but it pains me that this team will probably on this project for another 7 years. I'd rather they work on a new mainline game (with no Nojima). At least then it would be like 2-4 years between entries rather than fucking 6-7.
I don’t really care about party members or none personally as long as they have a clear vision for gameplay. But I definitely agree I never want them to stop producing Visual Works CG cutscenes. At least for the opening and ending if they are reducing them.

What are you guys trying to prove with these responses?

If FFXVII was a fighting game would you have posted gifs of Street Fighter instead?

No one is saying solo action games are bad.

What's causing distress in some people is that party members have been a thing from I-XV.

FF is still my absolutely favorite series despite not caring for MMO's and really disliking XV, so I'm used to each entry being almost shockingly different from the last, but even this is a bit much for me to digest.

It looks exciting, but there's a lot about it that's making me apprehensive.

I don’t really care about party members or none personally as long as they have a clear vision for gameplay. But I definitely agree I never want them to stop producing Visual Works CG cutscenes. At least for the opening and ending if they are reducing them.
I have no doubt that I'll find the game fun.

I wouldn't even mind if the other party members were just NPC's like Stranger of Paradise.

I found that game to be insanely fun and I still felt like I very much had a party and companions. It never felt lonely. That's what I'm mainly concerned with. I don't want it to be just Clive, I want to hear some back-and-forth chatter.

And I'm glad you agree with me with the Visual Works CG cutscenes! I'd want more than just an opening and ending scene though. It's always cutscenes that happen in the middle of the journey that end up being my favorite CG cutscenes in the game.

I know sometimes CG naysayers like to bring up FFXV as "CG going away," but that game only had 3 CG cutscenes because it was paired with a 110 minute CG movie. FFVIIR, with Intergrade included, has like 22 minutes of CG cutscenes. So I'd be extremely disappointed if the game didn't include some cutscenes that happen in the middle of the game. These heavily pre-rendered war cutscenes that were shown in these two trailers were pretty but they don't come close to Visual Works' stuff.

YukiOnna

I have no doubt that I'll find the game fun.

I wouldn't even mind if the other party members were just NPC's like Stranger of Paradise.

I found that game to be insanely fun and I still felt like I very much had a party and companions. It never felt lonely. That's what I'm mainly concerned with. I don't want it to be just Clive, I want to hear some back-and-forth chatter.

And I'm glad you agree with me with the Visual Works CG cutscenes! I'd want more than just an opening and ending scene though. It's always cutscenes that happen in the middle of the journey that end up being my favorite CG cutscenes in the game.

I know sometimes CG naysayers like to bring up FFXV as "CG going away," but that game only had 3 CG cutscenes because it was paired with a 110 minute CG movie. FFVIIR, with Intergrade included, has like 22 minutes of CG cutscenes. So I'd be extremely disappointed if the game didn't include some cutscenes that happen in the middle of the game. These heavily pre-rendered war cutscenes that were shown in these two trailers were pretty but they don't come close to Visual Works' stuff.

If it's anything like 14, we'll definitely have companions following along in the story. I know the story is presented as Clive's revenge quest, but hopefully he isn't going off killing Dominants when he fights them. I'm sure they'll deliver on the sense of adventure from a story standpoint.

We're getting ever so closer to the models in-game looking more and more like their VW counterpart, but I hope they always have them in there. Even Kingdom Hearts 3 had them.

Meicyn

Gold Member
What are you guys trying to prove with these responses?
Not trying to prove anything. Member posts:
Is this game only playable with a single character? Then fuck this game.
…and then I quoted them using their avatar, from a story driven game they obviously love where you play a single character.

All I know is, the team who wrote this game also wrote Heavensward, an expansion to FFXIV that is for all intents and purposes, a single character game where you do all the combat. You have a party that travels with you, but they don’t participate in the fighting. Mostly.

It’s possible they may have AI companions that show up in XVI, but it wouldn’t change how I feel about the game. Yoshi-p has clear priorities when it comes to game development. Priority 1 is gameplay, and since we have the Dragon’s Dogma combat director here and given CBU3’s pedigree with FFXIV, I think we’re solid. Priority 2 is the story, and given how each expansion to FFXIV has solid storytelling, I think we’re in for a treat. Everything else comes after. So far, it’s clear Soken’s team is all in on the sound, and the art team is delivering with the graphics which is a nice jump from the first trailer.

There are no smoke and mirrors. We haven’t been given bullshit CG cutscenes for several years with nothing to show for it. We’re seeing what is clearly in-game footage. We’ve been given a release date. Yoshi-p will begin doing the press gauntlet to answer questions and we’ll learn more in the same way we learned about each FFXIV expansion. CBU3 earned the trust of their fans for a reason, and that’s why we’re excited for FFXVI. They have an enormous respect for the entire franchise because after all, they grew up playing those games.

By the way, Visual Works has been involved with making a trailer for every FFXIV release. There is no doubt we will have at least some CG spectacle. But based on how CBU3 has handled press tours and building up hype, they aren’t going to play their hand this soon. Expect a CG trailer drop around six months prior to launch.

Not trying to prove anything. Member posts:

…and then I quoted them using their avatar, from a story driven game they obviously love where you play a single character.

All I know is, the team who wrote this game also wrote Heavensward, an expansion to FFXIV that is for all intents and purposes, a single character game where you do all the combat. You have a party that travels with you, but they don’t participate in the fighting. Mostly.

It’s possible they may have AI companions that show up in XVI, but it wouldn’t change how I feel about the game. Yoshi-p has clear priorities when it comes to game development. Priority 1 is gameplay, and since we have the Dragon’s Dogma combat director here and given CBU3’s pedigree with FFXIV, I think we’re solid. Priority 2 is the story, and given how each expansion to FFXIV has solid storytelling, I think we’re in for a treat. Everything else comes after. So far, it’s clear Soken’s team is all in on the sound, and the art team is delivering with the graphics which is a nice jump from the first trailer.

There are no smoke and mirrors. We haven’t been given bullshit CG cutscenes for several years with nothing to show for it. We’re seeing what is clearly in-game footage. We’ve been given a release date. Yoshi-p will begin doing the press gauntlet to answer questions and we’ll learn more in the same way we learned about each FFXIV expansion. CBU3 earned the trust of their fans for a reason, and that’s why we’re excited for FFXVI. They have an enormous respect for the entire franchise because after all, they grew up playing those games.

By the way, Visual Works has been involved with making a trailer for every FFXIV release. There is no doubt we will have at least some CG spectacle. But based on how CBU3 has handled press tours and building up hype, they aren’t going to play their hand this soon. Expect a CG trailer drop around six months prior to launch.
OH lol sorry! I should’ve checked that user’s post before replying to you.

And as for the rest of your post: thank you for the reassurance! I’ve barely played XIV (I can see why people love it but it’s really not my thing, especially in regard to the time sink) so I wouldn’t really be familiar with this team and how they operate.

Yeah I’m sure there’ll be CG for this game, but I’m really hoping that CG cutscenes are used for more than just an opening and ending. My only hope that this’ll be the case is Yoshida adding a CG cutscene to the Coil of Bahamut and only not including more scenes like that because he was scolded by higher-ups lol

If it's anything like 14, we'll definitely have companions following along in the story. I know the story is presented as Clive's revenge quest, but hopefully he isn't going off killing Dominants when he fights them. I'm sure they'll deliver on the sense of adventure from a story standpoint.

We're getting ever so closer to the models in-game looking more and more like their VW counterpart, but I hope they always have them in there. Even Kingdom Hearts 3 had them.
Another poster pointed that out to me, too, and yeah that’s reassuring at least.

Oddly enough, Kingdom Hearts III has by far the most that the series has ever had. Including the CG cutscenes from ReMind, there’s like 45 minutes’ worth (though they’re of varying quality), and the trailers barely even showed a glimpse of them. Now, different directors and all that jazz, but….. plz Business Division 3

Rea

I love story driven games with a single playable character.
what makes you think that I don't like them?
I was only talking about Final fantasy games specifically. I love party systems in every final fantasy games. So far Almost all the final fantasy games that I have played has party system. This games seems like they are breaking the formula and Looks like button mashing hack n slash garbage with rpg elements.

Top Bottom