• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI PC Release in the Final Stages of Optimization. Demo planned before release.

Right, so propping this game like it's some technical marvel pushing tech limits bringing GPU's to their knees is bullshit. These guys are just lacking at their job.

It actually is technically impressive, especially real time cutscenes

But Square simply does not prioritize Framerate, and generally their games on PC aren’t well optimized

They seem to do better when only one platform is involved

Caffeine

I don't think they will be insane enough to release it on epic. This one feels like when 15 dropped and is coming to steam.

Zathalus

likely a CPU bottleneck. If you look at the quality mode which typically runs at 1440p internal resolution, a GPU 3-4x more powerful should run it at 4k 60 fps as long as its not paired up with a trash Zen 2 CPU like the 2700x.
The quality mode drops to 1080p. And dropping resolution has got absolutely nothing to do with the GPU. Even counting out frame drops that is still 1080/30 and 720/60 at the worst.

Chukhopops

Right, so propping this game like it's some technical marvel pushing tech limits bringing GPU's to their knees is bullshit. These guys are just lacking at their job.
Also it’s not like SE has the best track record when it comes to PC ports so it may not even run that much better.

The game has really good art direction (and that’s all it has, honestly) but I wouldn’t expect something extraordinary out of the PC port.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Gaiff this is running at Native 4K over 60fps Max Settings with Raytraced Reflections, Raytraced Shadows, and RTAO. If FF16 cant hit 4K 60 on the 4090 it has everything to do with the ineptness of the developers.
Right, but that's a different game. Rift Apart on PS5 in hits 4K/30 with RT reflections. FF XVI doesn't even sniff 4K on PS5 so we cannot extrapolate the performance from a highly competent developer.

I will say this though, Skull & Bones runs at 720p upscaled to 1440p using FSR2 on SX/PS5 to hit 60fps (and still dips at times). The 4090 on the other hand has no problem hitting 90fps+ at 4K native. That's 9x the pixel count at a 50% higher frame rate so it's pushing 13.5x as many pixels every second lmao. We need to consider the impact of FSR2 but this still makes no sense given the performance profiles.

4K60 on a 4090 isn't impossible, especially given the visual makeup of this game but using PS5 as a baseline, it seems like a tall order.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Is what I’m saying even that controversial? Remake is a mess that’s packed with filler and nomura nonsense. Go find 3 cats! Go fetch me 2 McGuffins! If you like it, that’s fine too but many fans of the old game don’t like it.

It's controversial in the sense that we are on the internet, and the average internet citizen behaves like:

watlDH7.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The quality mode drops to 1080p. And dropping resolution has got absolutely nothing to do with the GPU. Even counting out frame drops that is still 1080/30 and 720/60 at the worst.
Very rarely. i played the game for 60 hours and i could immediately tell when it was dropping to 1080p. Its a 1440p game that can actually go up to 1728p at times.

There is some kind of bottleneck on consoles that is causing devs to drop resolutions all the way to 720p to hit 60 fps and in FF16's case, it doesnt even work. It STILL drops frames at 720p in some battles. And thats after they downgraded the settings. Skull and Bones just came out, runs at native 4k 30 fps on consoles and then drops to 720p in the 60 fps mode. If the GPU is powerful enough to run at native 4k then it should be powerful enough run games at half the resolution or around half, not dropping to 1/8th the resolution just to hit 60 fps.

I ran the skull and bones beta just fine at 4k 60 fps maxed out with ray tracing on my 3080. This card is roughly 2x more powerful than the PS5 and yet it is performing 8x better in the 60 fps mode. something doesnt add up.

Slimboy Fat

After playing the demo I was in day 1 for the PC version, but the more I saw of it and the more time passed and the honeymoon perioid ended I think I’ll pass. FF is basically Sonic now where every new entry is supposed to be the good one but they all stink.
But on steam you'll probably be able to get it for a couple of bucks on sale. I think it'll be worth it at some point just for the presentation alone lol

About a year later, but better than never.

I hope that all the people saying exclusivity killed this game will support the PC version.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
After playing the demo I was in day 1 for the PC version, but the more I saw of it and the more time passed and the honeymoon perioid ended I think I’ll pass. FF is basically Sonic now where every new entry is supposed to be the good one but they all stink.
I loved the demo but the full game is so disappointing. Probably tied with Spore as my biggest gaming disappointment of all time. It’s such a boring, pointless slog like 80% of the time. It sucks whether you judge it as a JRPG or a character action game.

Brock2621

Dude I promise you won’t regret it. It’s not sonic, and the story arc itself is amazing. I implore you to jump in

Gaiff

Dude I promise you won’t regret it. It’s not sonic, and the story arc itself is amazing. I implore you to jump in
I loved the demo but the full game is so disappointing. Probably tied with Spore as my biggest gaming disappointment of all time. It’s such a boring, pointless slog like 80% of the time. It sucks whether you judge it as a JRPG or a character action game.
One of them is a liar. Find the truth and expose them!

Pedro Motta

The problem with this game it's being called Final Fantasy. Any other name or brand and it would be one of the best action games of the decade. Its a great action game, it's a lousy Final Fantasy.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The problem with this game it's being called Final Fantasy. Any other name or brand and it would be one of the best action games of the decade. Its a great action game, it's a lousy Final Fantasy.
It’s terrible as an action game. Enemies don’t even fight back, they just stand there like training dummies while you rotate through your 6 abilities off cooldown and chip away at their health.

Maybe it’s better on “Final Fantasy mode” or whatever. But I’m not going to play a boring 50+ hour game just to replay it again at a higher difficulty. Especially when all the sidequests, exploration, and (lack of) RPG elements are also so dreadfully boring.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
One of them is a liar. Find the truth and expose them!
It’s not a lie to state that the final game is nothing like the game of thrones inspired almost naughty dog quality storytelling you see in the demo.

The game is fine but they suckered a lot of people in with that very misleading demo. Only the combat is the same. The story is less game of thrones and more like the last few hours of ff15. Over the top classic jrpg nonsense.

The 4 eikon battles are cool but in a 60 hour game, that’s not enough.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It’s not a lie to state that the final game is nothing like the game of thrones inspired almost naughty dog quality storytelling you see in the demo.

The game is fine but they suckered a lot of people in with that very misleading demo. Only the combat is the same. The story is less game of thrones and more like the last few hours of ff15. Over the top classic jrpg nonsense.

The 4 eikon battles are cool but in a 60 hour game, that’s not enough.
Plus for every riveting GoT-style scene filled with dramatic tension and intrigue, or bombastic AAA set piece, there are 10 others where it’s characters standing there like mannequins yapping on and on about something nobody cares about.

I swear this was originally planned as a linear character action FF spinoff game that would’ve been maybe 15-20 hours. Then they added all the sidequests, open exploration, totally pointless crafting system, etc in order to justify calling it Final Fantasy XVI. The quality difference is pretty dramatic.

proandrad

Most people enjoyed the game, but the ones that didn’t are really vocal about it. It’s not your classic jrpg and the side quest are just to pad the game. But if don’t feel the need to 100% every game and just skip the parts you aren’t enjoying, FF16 puts on a hell of show.

paolo11

If it’s a high spec required game, so be it but it has to be optimized . No micro stutters if possible

Celcius

°Temp. member

Gaiff

Very rarely. i played the game for 60 hours and i could immediately tell when it was dropping to 1080p. Its a 1440p game that can actually go up to 1728p at times.

There is some kind of bottleneck on consoles that is causing devs to drop resolutions all the way to 720p to hit 60 fps and in FF16's case, it doesnt even work. It STILL drops frames at 720p in some battles. And thats after they downgraded the settings. Skull and Bones just came out, runs at native 4k 30 fps on consoles and then drops to 720p in the 60 fps mode. If the GPU is powerful enough to run at native 4k then it should be powerful enough run games at half the resolution or around half, not dropping to 1/8th the resolution just to hit 60 fps.

I ran the skull and bones beta just fine at 4k 60 fps maxed out with ray tracing on my 3080. This card is roughly 2x more powerful than the PS5 and yet it is performing 8x better in the 60 fps mode. something doesnt add up.
From the videos I've seen it falls a bit short of 4K60 fps on a 3080 at max settings. It's generally 50-55fps. Still, that's almost 9x times the amount of raw pixels and even factoring that they're upscaling from 720p to 1440p doesn't explain the disparity.

There is some fuckery going on in some console games where the res drops way too low. On PC with a 2070S and a 3600, console settings, and DLSS Performance at 1440p, it maintains 80fps+. I think native 1080p/60fps would have been far preferable to 720p upscaled to 1440p using FSR. The only place where it's CPU-limited is in St.Anne's where it can drop to the high 50s on a 3600. Otherwise, it's 70-100fps in the open world.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Curious why it would need to when Nvidia's DLSS is objectively superior to native.

Not always. Depends on the TAA technique being used.

Their shadow rendering technique is very gpu intensive, often compared to RT shadows, and has received praise from DF, NXGamer, etc.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/tech/library/pdf/2023_FFXVIShadowTechPaper.pdf

In regards to optimization, it seems to me this game was designed to run at 30fps on PS5 console and Square didn't anticipate gaming community's demand for 60fps with the current generation so performance mode was haphazardly tacked on late in development. I expect high end PC to be able to brute force at or near 4k60.

Bojji

This won't run at native 4k in 60fps on 4090 unless they optimized it better than PS5 version. There are games that push 4090 below this level of performance (like remnant 2) so I don't get why it would be so surprising.

It will do fine with DLSS if it is implemented.

Been waiting to play the DLCs for this eventual expansion. Can't wait to run through it again. Once this thing is flying at max settings and people can witness it on appropriate hardware, they're going to be stunned at how incredible this game is. Final Fantasy diehards always hate what's new at first because negativity is the fastest way to have an opinion, but as people process the experience they'll slowly see the light.

L3 + R3 to face the truth
is one the most powerful moments in gaming in recent memory.

Beautiful game.
Chills. This game wasn’t perfect but come on yall this is a standout JRPG in the genre.

The highs in this game imo have almost no parallels, it’s an impressive af game.

Top Bottom