• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Previews are Dropping

Draugoth

Gold Member
Blogposts:

TLDR:

• 30 fps and 60 fps modes confirmed
  • Main story will be about 35 hours
  • 11+ hours of cinematics
  • Semi open world
  • Seamless transitions from gameplay to cutscenes
  • Public demo is planned, 2 weeks before launch
  • QTEs confirmed for combat

Videos:

Last edited:
Celebrate Crazy Eyes GIF by Football Australia

All the impressions are giving me 90+ MC

Whisper it, but Square Enix may have an absolute zinger on its hands. There will be some long-time fans who will likely take issue with Final Fantasy XVI'sbroadly action-oriented approach, but after approximately an hour of play during a recent preview event, we walked away with our jaw on the floor. If this extraordinarily high budget adventure can stick its landing, then it'll be a Game of the Year contender for sure.

https://www.pushsquare.com/features...ing-up-to-be-a-ps5-game-of-the-year-contender

samoilaaa

so the combat looks amazing but like in the previews is said , there is very little option when it comes to exploration although they hope it was only in the area of the demo so they dont reveal to much

i really hope that is the case , as good as the combat is i dont want to just traverse a corridor from one boss to another

Luipadre

I really hope you can turn those dmg numbers off because holy shit

also that "cinematic evasion" lmao

Last edited:
so the combat looks amazing but like in the previews is said , there is very little option when it comes to exploration although they hope it was only in the area of the demo so they dont reveal to much

i really hope that is the case , as good as the combat is i dont want to just traverse a corridor from one boss to another

Preview specifically state there are open zones and you can ride chocobo from one location to another because they are so large

However, if you remember from the presentation, we talked about Cid, and Cid has this organization. Their headquarters is this place called the Hideaway. And once Clive meets up with Cid and is able to join that organization, then you have this kind of hub from where all this side content that’s separate from the main story starts. And so we have things like quests where you can learn about the people in the Hideaway, or quests where you can learn about the people in the world… quests where you can help upgrade Clive, like earning more inventory slots and things like that. There are other type of activities as well, such as the Hunt Board, where you will see the billets. It’ll talk about a notorious monster roaming the land, and your task is to try to find and defeat this monster for fame.

From Gematsu on side content

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

From what I've played Final Fantasy 16 is surely set to deliver. Its intense battles escalate to an outrageous sense of scale; exceptional cinematics weave seamlessly into battle to truly showcase the power of the PlayStation 5; and Yoshida and his team exude confidence in their vision.

What I want to see next are the quieter moments. Peacefully riding a chocobo around that sumptuous world. Tender moments from Clive so we can empathise with him as the protagonist. If this demo showed the peaks, what's in the valleys? I'm excited to explore further and find out.

Oh, and for music fans, this time the iconic battle fanfare has lyrics sung by a choir. It's awesome.

Should the story, exploration, and characters live up to what I've seen of the combat so far, then Final Fantasy 16 will be a JRPG worth being excited about

All in all, we got the sense Final Fantasy XVI will divide the most hardcore franchise faithfuls: it's clearly got Western consumers in its crosshairs, and it's channelling the spirit of hugely popular franchises like The Witcher and God of War. But there's enough Final Fantasy in it to set it apart, and the production values are off the scale. If the full game can strike the same kind of tone as our demo, then this is comfortably shaping up to be a Game of the Year candidate.

Final Fantasy 16 needs to be seen to be believed. It's the PlayStation 5 game I have been waiting on for the past few years, and then some. The trailers and screenshots and videos don't do it justice – you need it in your hands to feel it, to understand the promises of Square Enix, at least from what I've seen so far, are all being delivered on. Final Fantasy is back, and it might be better than ever.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Day freakin one

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Dragon's Dogma: Final Fantasy

I look forward to the inevitable PC release in a year's time.

Trailer ultimately disappointing. No GILGAMESH in sight. Travesty.

Real talk. Game's combat looks enticing and the Dark Fantasy vibes appeals to me greatly.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's sad that FF has largely walked away from it's roots, but if it manages to be a great game on it's own right, I'll be there.

But honestly, I wish that Square made a sub-series that would contain the games true to the franchise's roots and had a similar budget.
Octopath Traveler 2 just came out. Can't really get much closer to their roots than that.

Nautilus

Banned
Octopath Traveler 2 just came out. Can't really get much closer to their roots than that.
I know, and I've just started it. But while I loved the first game and probably will this obe too(and wish the franchise to continue and grow), its not the same.

Same thing as Castlevania.People say that there are substitutes out there and sure there is, and some of them are on par with some of the best of Castlevania, but its not the same, as they don't share the music, the mythos, the "vibe" and so much more. It's not the same.

anthony2690

Banned
Game looks great, but 11 hours of cutscenes isn't really a selling point to me (for a 35 hour game)

Hopefully it turns out great and hopefully it isn't a forever exclusive, I would like to be able to play it on Xbox in the future. (But I'm doubtful, as Sqaure Enix only put games that probably won't sell well on Xbox or any other platform on Xbox, like Diofield chronicles, what I really enjoyed a lot) XD

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I seriously hope this catches on as after this there will be another shitty FFVII Remake game. Give me this game any day of the week, it can't be worse than FFVII R. I prefer the series to move into this direction, as they did before with XII and XIV.

Last edited:

Griffon

Any gameplay video without comments (neither journalist's voice nor text)?

The text in the gematsu ones is just infuriating to deal with.

Top Bottom