• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Producer Denies Existence of a PC Version, Asks Fans To Buy PS5 To Play The Game

Jaybe

Just buy a PS5, (laughs)

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

Unknown?

Hmmm. Never knew Yoshida to lie to his fans. Would be sad if there's no PC version. I wanna play it, but still waiting on PS5 Pro. If that means I can't play it until it releases...well then so be it.
Play it on the PS6, it will have a 120fps patch or the PS6 Pro with 8k and 240fps.

nial

Gold Member
I was going to buy PS5 version regardless since I’m not in to or even own gaming PC.

With that being said I can understand a little not wanting come out on Xbox but why not just release both PC version and PS5 version at the same time?

My guess is SE needs time to do proper PC version.
Sony paid for a 6-month PS5 full exclusivity deal.

Lethal01

Completely untrue. Every game is developed on PCs but not every game is playable on PC. Playstation games don't have a PC (Windows) build unless one is made.

Fair, I can admit there are exceptions to the rule, but it's still far more common than not to be able to build for pc even in a custom engine like this for many reasons.

fact remains that having footage from PC does not really mean there is a PC specific version being made, just that the developers think it's worth it to have an engine that does require a dev kit to check every little thing.

Seeing "Captured on PC" and thinking a PC version is guaranteed is very wrong.

Buggy Loop

We will have to wait 2 years for the PC version cuz Epic Games Store exclusive deal doesnt count as a PC release

I mean eh, ok.

Waited on RDR 2, FF7 remake (which i just started tonight), now swimming in so many goddamn Sony games my backlog is drowning. I'm a patient man. I'm currently playing FF7R with ultrawide, graphics to the max 120 fps.

James Franco GIF

I'll wait, they're delaying me handing them money, but i don't understand the principle of playing absolutely a game on day 1 to the point of say, me buying a console for it.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Fair, I can admit there are exceptions to the rule, but it's still far more common than not to be able to build for pc even in a custom engine like this for many reasons.
Again, this is not how it works. If there is a PC build, this means it's being developed for PC. You seem to think that just because the game is made on PCs means it's super easy to just run it on PC. This couldn't further from the truth.
fact remains that having footage from PC does not really mean there is a PC specific version being made, just that the developers think it's worth it to have an engine that does require a dev kit to check every little thing.
Except that's exactly what it means. Different versions cost thousands of man-hours to produce. They just don't do them because "why the fuck not?". They do them because there is an intent to release them.
Seeing "Captured on PC" and thinking a PC version is guaranteed is very wrong.
It's guaranteed that they're working on one. They could scrap it of course but they don't develop a PC build unless there are plans to release one.

nial

Gold Member
I know we’re just goofing but there are a few signs that this may actually be in the works.
Regardless of the quality of its games, current Square Enix gives off strong late-2016-2020 Bethesda vibes; releasing flop after flop. I'd be surprised if they're still an independent publisher a few years from now.

Lethal01

Again, this is not how it works. If there is a PC build, this means it's being developed for PC. You seem to think that just because the game is made on PCs means it's super easy to just run it on PC. This couldn't further from the truth.

No, I just know most engines even proprietary ones like RE engine or the engine for spoken are built with a way to play the game in the engine itself. Devs see it as worth it to no need dev kits and these days.

So again no, being able to play the game on PC during development is not an indication of a planned PC release of this game, The game could fall apart as soon as you poke it to hard doesn't mean it might not be able to render out a cutscene.

Gaiff

Gold Member
No, I just know most engines even proprietary ones like RE engine or the engine for spoken are built with a way to play the game in the engine itself.
What? A way to play the game in the engine itself? WTF does that even mean?
Devs see it as worth it to no need dev kits and these days.
Again, WTF?
So again no, being able to play the game on PC during development is not an indication of a planned PC release of this game, The game could fall apart as soon as you poke it to hard doesn't mean it might not be able to render out a cutscene.
No, and you're clearly in over your head in this discussion. You haven't got the faintest clue of game development or even the basics of software engineering with the nonsense you typed. If you they manage to capture a game running on PC, it means all the fundamental building blocks are working properly. So no, you cannot "poke it and make it fall apart". This is nonsensical.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Regardless of the quality of its games, current Square Enix gives off strong late-2016-2020 Bethesda vibes; releasing flop after flop. I'd be surprised if they're still an independent publisher a few years from now.
what flop are you talking about

FFXV are second highest selling final fantasy game

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
And it was released 6 years ago.
and yet its their latest entries

their number one best selling final fantasy game is FVII ( original+ remake )

Two best selling record FF game recently chart the top

FF XIV one of the biggest MMO around right now

three consecutive sucesssfull output in a row

So your narratives of SE about "current Square Enix gives off strong late-2016-2020 Bethesda vibes; releasing flop after flop. I'd be surprised if they're still an independent publisher a few years from now. " doesnt add up.

Last edited:
And it was released 6 years ago.

FFXIV is like the biggest MMO on the planet, and FF7R was a hit. DQXI, KH3…etc

Their Asano games have also been pretty successful…this sounds like wish fullfillment. Square Enix is still one of the biggest japanese 3rd party publishers.

Too many people are bitter over Square Enix and Sony (even though they provide more exclusives to Nintendo) having a tight relationship is what a lot of this sounds like

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
Some flops yes some good games.

Despite all the chaos around it stranger of paradise is one of the most slept on games this year if you actually want to have fun.

Diofield is competent and had a free dlc that is dropping shortly.

Remake was a hit.

FFXV despite its flaws sold very well.

FFXIV is doing gangbusters. Patch 7 and that round of PS5 tweaks is going to boost sales as high as they were with Endwalker and Shadowbringers.

nial

Gold Member
and yet its their latest entries

their number one best selling final fantasy game is FVII ( original+ remake )

Two best selling record FF game recently chart the top

FF XIV one of the biggest MMO around right now

So your narratives of SE about "current Square Enix gives off strong late-2016-2020 Bethesda vibes; releasing flop after flop. I'd be surprised if they're still an independent publisher a few years from now. " doesnt add up.
FFXIV is like the biggest MMO on the planet, and FF7R was a hit. DQXI, KH3…etc

Their Asano games have also been pretty successful…this sounds like wish fullfillment. Square Enix is still one of the biggest japanese 3rd party publishers.

Too many people are bitter over Square Enix and Sony (even though they provide more exclusives to Nintendo) having a tight relationship is what a lot of this sounds like
I mean, look at most of their 2021-2022 games: Balan Wonderworld, Neo: The World Ends with You, Babylon's Fall, Chocobo GP, Various Daylife, The Diofield Chronicle, Valkyrie Elysium, Star Ocean: The Divine Force and Harvestella; none of these games did well at all, with the only exceptions so far being the 2D-HD titles.
FFXIV is still doing amazing, but it's a MMO released in 2013 and in the case of DQXI and KH3; these games came out YEARS ago, so I don't count them as current Square. I'm not saying they're going out of business or anything like that, but their output seems to be having a lot of flops more recently.

EDMIX

I would have been like "PC? We don't even know what that shit is around here....WHO LET YOU IN HERE BRUV?"

Airbus Jr

Banned
I mean, look at most of their 2021-2022 games: Balan Wonderworld, Neo: The World Ends with You, Babylon's Fall, Chocobo GP, Various Daylife, The Diofield Chronicle, Valkyrie Elysium, Star Ocean: The Divine Force and Harvestella; none of these games did well at all, with the only exceptions so far being the 2D-HD titles.
FFXIV is still doing amazing, but it's a MMO released in 2013 and in the case of DQXI and KH3; these games came out YEARS ago, so I don't count them as current Square. I'm not saying they're going out of business or anything like that, but their output seems to be having a lot of flops more recently.
those are such a minor a much smaller game ip never even heard some of those they prob outsourced it to other studios

have a good day

Last edited:

square enix have been putting out low-mid budget under performing games for 3 decades, well before the merger. All those PS1, SNES, and PS2 games no one ever talks about, even the ones people do talk about were commercial failures.

This isn’t new for square enix, people only have selective memory and think about their hits, not the dozens of games inbetween final fantasy that flop. Theres a reason why we aren’t getting a new Vagrant Story or Brave Fencer Mushashi

Last edited:

Lethal01

What? A way to play the game in the engine itself? WTF does that even mean?
I don't see how this could possibly confuse you, it's a feature in the most used game engine available.
If you wanna so that it's the exception fine but at this point you'd have to have done zero game development to not understand what it means.

No, and you're clearly in over your head in this discussion. You haven't got the faintest clue of game development or even the basics of software engineering with the nonsense you typed. If you they manage to capture a game running on PC, it means all the fundamental building blocks are working properly. So no, you cannot "poke it and make it fall apart". This is nonsensical.

I'm saying that for the last decade or so large game developers have been working on engines that allow them to (while in engine) hit a button and run the game inside of an editor or some kind of development suite even when you are working on a standard windows PC while developing a game for 3DS. Granted I can't speak for every engine in the industry but I can atleast say that's the case for Capcom's "RE Engine" and Square's "Crystal tool". It does not mean that the game doesn't have a bunch of PC specific glitches and giant performance issues.

This may have additional costs but it's been seen as extremely worth it. Additionally usually devs try not to make and Engine that only works for one console. So even while you are still getting a black screen on the console you are targetting yourself you may be able to render things out on PC.

So yes, it's a fact that you can be showing off footage from PC without really having a pc specific version planned for release.

It kind of sounds you are just quoting developers you think support you without actually understanding what they are saying.
It's a fact you can show off "PC footage" without a PC version planned for release. I should know, I've done exactly this when a quick screenshot is needed.

TLDR: "CAPTURED ON PC" means nothing.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
I don't see how this could possibly confuse you, it's a feature in the most used game engine available.
If you wanna so that it's the exception fine but at this point you'd have to have done zero game development to not understand what it means.
But that's completely wrong. You said "running the game on the engine itself". The game isn't "running on the engine itself", it's running on Windows. You couldn't just copy the files on an Apple Silicon Mac and use Rosetta to launch the Epic Games exe and run the samples...because the Mac cannot run them. You need the Apple Silicon build.
I'm saying that for the last decade or so large game developers have been working on engines that allow them to (while in engine) hit a button and run the game inside of an editor or some kind of development suite even when you are working on a standard windows PC while developing a game for 3DS. Granted I can't speak for every engine in the industry but I can atleast say that's the case for Capcom's "RE Engine" and Square's "Crystal tool". It does not mean that the game doesn't have a bunch of PC specific glitches and giant performance issues.
This may have additional costs but it's been seen as extremely worth it. Additionally usually devs try not to make and Engine that only works for one console. So even while you are still getting a black screen on the console you are targetting yourself you may be able to render things out on PC.

So yes, it's a fact that you can be showing off footage from PC without really having a pc specific version planned for release.
No, that's utterly false. Running samples through the UE5 program on Windows runs the Windows version of them. It calls upon DirectX and uses Windows-specific DLLs and files. DLLs are Windows shared libraries which the Playstation does not have (has its own set). If the footage is "captured on PC", it means it's running the PC build. The PS and PC builds aren't cross-compatible as they don't even use the same APIs for one and the memory configuration is completely different for two. The Playstation version will run on a Playstation development kit, not on a PC which cannot even run the game properly, let alone display fully non-pre-rendered cutscenes.
It kind of sounds you are just quoting developers you think support you without actually understanding what they are saying.
You mean it sounds like I've provided proof from a lead software engineering who port games rather than talk out of my ass like you've been doing?
It's a fact you can show off "PC footage" without a PC version planned for release. I should know, I've done it.
And you cannot name a single example of that happening. You're basically telling us Square wasted thousands of man-hours developing a PC version they'll never use, because why?
TLDR: "CAPTURED ON PC" means nothing.
Except that there is a working Windows version that runs well. If there was no intent on porting the game to PC, the developer would have never bothered going to the lengths that it takes to have the game run properly. That final 20% to have the game not crash, bug, and render like shit is the longest and hardest part of the development. Square wouldn't have done it unless they're working on a PC version.

Plus, why would they show a PC version instead of the PS5 version that should be much further along? Your arguments make no sense.

Here is what the team who ported GOW to PC said:

Matt DeWald: So, we've actually been working on this for a while, but it started kind of slow to begin with. It just started as like, "Hey, can we even do this? Do we have the technical expertise? How do we work together? blah, blah, blah." So, there's a lot of interstitial work that needs to happen just to figure that out. It's probably been about two years of total work, but with a very small crew - there's a team of four at Jetpack that have been doing the primary engineering efforts. And they're almost all engineering efforts, there's been a little bit of assistance from internal, just where things are, "Hey, how does this work? Where is this thing placed?" and then internal Santa Monica, myself leading the project from a production standpoint, but then mostly, it's just QA support, and then tapping different individuals to help fix bugs that may have existed on PC. So, it's a very small team that we've tried to produce this with. Keep it lean and mean.
But according to you, it's as simple as pushing "Play" on their PC editor and have the game run. Sure.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
This.

Square-Enix current strategy is as follows:
  • Develop one or two very expensive AAA games with their in-house engine (Forspoken, FF16)
  • Develop other high budget games (not AAA) using third-party engines such as Unreal Engine (e.g. Dragon Quest, FF7R, Kingdom Hearts 3) because it allows for easier outsourcing
  • Fund development of both mid and low-tier budget games with third-parties and publish them (e.g. Octopath, Bravely Default, Stranger of Paradise, all those remakes and remasters, mobile)
  • I'm disregarding maintenance of the MMO, online services and development of expansions and DLC for their games

And so:
  • Forspoken is looking like a mess, a game with no defined target audience. Will likely bomb.
  • FF16 is looking like anything but Final Fantasy. But since the west gobbled up the crappy FF15, it might even do well sales wise -- but not on the short term.
  • FF7R disappointed a lot of people. The first part sold relatively well on hype alone, but after the twist the other parts will likely sell poorly in comparison. Ironically just like FF13 and its sequels.
  • Of their third party games, most don't sell that well, with a few exceptions. Unfortunately, Squeenix only cares about those franchises until they keep selling more than the previous one. As soon as they do poorly it's goodbye (they're mid-low budget projects after all, made to be discarded)
  • Not to mention they sold some western studios and IPs recently, and that Marvel game fiasco.

Braag

Yoshi's punishment for staggering that PC release is me buying it for $30-40 off CD Keys when the PC port finally does release.
This what I've started to do if a game is released later than the original release date on PC. Get if on sale or buy it at a lower price from GMG or CD Keys.

Griffon

“I don’t know, people are talking about a PC version, but no one has said anything about a PC version. Why are they making it sound as if the PC version will be out in six months? Just buy a PS5, (laughs)” said Naoki Yoshida during the Final Fantasy XIV live stream.

iu

The upcoming FF games are literally the only ones I want that are on PS5, so I'm just gonna wait, not gonna splurge money on a useless brick.

Last edited:

nikos

I'd much rather play it on PC but I probably wouldn't wait even if it was confirmed. Hopefully the PS5 version isn't too bad.

lyan

• Of their third party games, most don't sell that well, with a few exceptions. Unfortunately, Squeenix only cares about those franchises until they keep selling more than the previous one. As soon as they do poorly it's goodbye (they're mid-low budget projects after all, made to be discarded)
Launches Star Ocean 6

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
It is what it is. One day probably next gen the new FF will release same day consoles and PC. But I guess Sony/SE just isnt ready for that and they think there is financial incentive for making this a timed exclusive. I will just wait then.

Godot25

Banned
Lol.
I mean, we are not stupid and we know how these "timed exclusives" contract works.
Microsoft could not mentioned that they are working on Xbox version of Deathloop for entire year despite fact that they clearly worked on Xbox port in that time (and despite fact that they own Arkane). They could acknowledged Xbox port only after 1 year exclusivity period ended.

It's same here. "No PC port of FF XVI" And then after 6 months in December Square will be like: VOILA, HERE IS PC VERSION.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
They also said the same thing for the FF Pixel Remakes right?

No plans for a console version etc etc.

Sony and Square Enix absolutely need 16 to perform well in Japan's market and that's why the game's staff will not talk about the PC version of the game for a long, long while.

cireza

Banned
Sony and Square Enix absolutely need 16 to perform well in Japan's market and that's why the game's staff will not talk about the PC version of the game for a long, long while.
Japan market has become irrelevant. For a series such as Final Fantasy, I am pretty sure they get the most sales in the West.

Top Bottom