• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Producer Denies Existence of a PC Version, Asks Fans To Buy PS5 To Play The Game

Neilg

And that will stop it from having bugs and glitches? Everything will render correctly without any issue? Basically, the only thing they do is "optimize" the game?
lol did you actually read my post? the first trailer was cinematics only.

This is my day job. Take the L and stop arguing about things you have zero experience with.

Last edited:

Metnut

Given the many complaints here about long development cycles, I think Square is making the right move focusing on a single platform.

They’ll be able to deliver an optimized first party type of experience. Very happy to be a PS5 owner (as a long time FF fan) and I’m going to dig into this on launch.

Last edited:

Labadal

Considering the timed exclusive nature of this release, I doubt that he is allowed to in any shape or form talk about a potential PC version.

Gaiff

lol did you actually read my post? the first trailer was cinematics only.
Don't exactly recall which one. I remember there being gameplay sequences and that was the point being argued.
You're a fucking idiot. This is my day job. Take the L and stop arguing about things you have zero experience with.
Just because you downloaded UE5 and ran the City Sample demo doesn't make that your day job. Now please, show me those games with footage that says "captured on PC" that never had a planned PC release. I'll wait.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Wife: “did you sleep with a hooker on New Year’s Eve?”

Me: “I don’t know, everybody is talking about me sleeping with hookers. Why are they making it sound like I slept with a hooker on New Year’s Eve? I’m with you right now, aren’t I?”

Woohoo successful denial there.

Neilg

Now please, show me those games with footage that says "captured on PC" that never had a planned PC release. I'll wait.

You're moving the goalposts. It is going to come out on PC though. just not in 6 months. and they arent working on it yet.
You can take a console game in development for UE that doesnt currently run on PC and export recordings of cutscenes and what looks like gameplay. That's how they did the first trailer. You said this wasnt possible, it is, end of story.

I've been working as an artist for 18 years, I post a bunch in the graphics thread and a few people there know where I work.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
Sorry dude but lol. you know they're making FF16 in UE?
there's a lot of work that goes into making a native PC port of a UE game still, but you can also throw a 4090 and 128gb of ram at it and render out cutscenes. You can actually do this before you've even figured out how to get the game to run on the devkit. That doesn't mean the game is playable on windows, the first trailer was just cutscenes rendered out at 1fps from the editor. That's what he meant by running the game on the engine. If you'd ever used it you would have understood what that meant.
https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/AnimatingObjects/Sequencer/HowTo/RenderMovies/
It's mostly used for internal reviews and feedback, but can also be used to cut a trailer before anything resembling a 'game' is running.
All of this flexibility is the main reason WHY devs use UE, and more and more of them are switching. You can start building scenes, lighting and animation before anything is ready to push to a console.

GOW was not made in UE.

I would bet money they will make a PC version. it's kind of dumb not to if you used UE. but it won't be out in 6 months (maybe 18) and it won't have had any real work done to it to make it playable.

maybe try and be a bit less cocksure about things you dont actually know about. a lot of people on this forum work with this stuff daily...
FFXVI is NOT being made in UE, it's being made on a very heavily modified version of crystal tools. The same engine they use for FFXIV, Remake part 2 is UE5.

Edit: on topic, It will eventually release on PC probably in the same time frame as Remake Intergrade so 1 to 2 years. Depending on the port job ill double dip.

Last edited:

Neilg

FFXVI is NOT being made in UE, it's being made on a very heavily modified version of crystal tools.

I just looked it up - pre-production was done using UE, then they switched engine to work towards the final build. I didnt realise they did that, but it does still mean the initial trailer cut on pc hardware was most likley in UE. And the point still stands if they're not using UE, my knowledge was simply out of date - there are other engines that allow for rendering sequences using PC hardware that don't natively run the entire game on a PC.

Last edited:

Gaiff

You're moving the goalposts. It is going to come out on PC though. just not in 6 months. and they arent working on it yet.
You can take a console game in development for UE that doesnt currently run on PC and export recordings of cutscenes and what looks like gameplay. That's how they did the first trailer. You said this wasnt possible, it is, end of story.
No, I haven't moved the goal posts. You barged in not knowing WTF you were talking about then went "but you can export cutscenes". This is what I said:
Irrelevant. The games might be made using Windows computers but they don't run on PC. They run on devkits. It wouldn't be possible to capture gameplay footage on PC unless there is a PC build.
Now you're coming back with "cutscenes that look like gameplay".

The crux of the argument is that no developers will show footage that says "captured on PC" and have what is a playable PC build without the intention of releasing it on PC. This was answering the other poster that basically went "every game is super easy peasy to run on PC because it's developed there" which is false.

I've been working as an artist for 18 years, I post a bunch in the graphics thread and a few people there know where I work.
Too bad they didn't teach you how to read. Next time, understand the discussion instead of throwing insults and going "bu bu but I work in the industry!"

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
I just looked it up - pre-production was done using UE, then they switched engine to work towards the final build. I didnt realise they did that, but it does still mean the initial trailer cut on pc hardware was almost certainly in UE.
They never did that much with UE according to their own press.

"Preliminary testing for the project was conducted using Unreal Engine 4 and the real-time visualization software Marmoset Toolbag during its initial stages. However, it was found that the engine was unable to deliver the finer details that the studio had envisioned. Therefore, the development team decided to use the Final Fantasy XIV engine, and further develop it to allow rendering in a PBR environment. A full-time programmer was assigned the task of handling environments and shader work."

Astral Dog

translation: put your Money here
images

Last edited:

Neilg

The crux of the argument is that no developers will show footage that says "captured on PC" and have what is a playable PC build without the intention of releasing it on PC.

I think we agree on this point. I do believe there will be a pc version. I do not believe that means the PC build is currently playable though.
I just think you're mistaken about how easy it is to generate footage from a game that doesn't currently 'run' (as in, can be played) on a pc using PC hardware during development. You can record gameplay and drop a UI over it to export a sequence that looks indistinguishable from gameplay. this is done for presentations to investors and for internal review long before any of it is functional. i was under the impression the first ff16 trailer was all cutscenes, so thats why I said that, but really it doesnt matter. it's very easy to fake gameplay using the same tools.
You said this isnt possible unless the game natively runs on PC already. that's the only part of this I was correcting, it can be done long before the 'porting' process starts.

the rest of the argument is irrelevant, yes i was wrong about the engine they are using. The very first post I made has not changed the point I am making though.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
This.

Square-Enix current strategy is as follows:
  • Develop one or two very expensive AAA games with their in-house engine (Forspoken, FF16)
  • Develop other high budget games (not AAA) using third-party engines such as Unreal Engine (e.g. Dragon Quest, FF7R, Kingdom Hearts 3) because it allows for easier outsourcing
  • Fund development of both mid and low-tier budget games with third-parties and publish them (e.g. Octopath, Bravely Default, Stranger of Paradise, all those remakes and remasters, mobile)
  • I'm disregarding maintenance of the MMO, online services and development of expansions and DLC for their games

And so:
  • Forspoken is looking like a mess, a game with no defined target audience. Will likely bomb.
  • FF16 is looking like anything but Final Fantasy. But since the west gobbled up the crappy FF15, it might even do well sales wise -- but not on the short term.
  • FF7R disappointed a lot of people. The first part sold relatively well on hype alone, but after the twist the other parts will likely sell poorly in comparison. Ironically just like FF13 and its sequels.
  • Of their third party games, most don't sell that well, with a few exceptions. Unfortunately, Squeenix only cares about those franchises until they keep selling more than the previous one. As soon as they do poorly it's goodbye (they're mid-low budget projects after all, made to be discarded)
  • Not to mention they sold some western studios and IPs recently, and that Marvel game fiasco.
People mention FF, KH and DQ, but what about the rest of their AAA efforts? The Tomb Raider trilogy, Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy have all underperformed, prompting Square Enix to sell off its western studios for a whopping… $300 million.

peronmls

Get your marketing out of here. If that's the case I'll wait to get it used if on PS5 from a nerd. If not at least you'll get my money through Steam... during discount season.

Top Bottom