• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Producer Denies Existence of a PC Version, Asks Fans To Buy PS5 To Play The Game

Draugoth

Gold Member
final-fantasy-xvi.jpeg

Final Fantasy XVI producer Naoki Yoshida recently commented on the PC version of the game suggesting that it won’t launch six months after the PS5 release.

The game has been confirmed to be a timed PS5 exclusive with at least six months of exclusivity suggested through the official trailer. During a stream that discussed upcoming content for Final Fantasy XIV, the producer was asked about the rumors of a PC version of Final Fantasy XVI.

“I don’t know, people are talking about a PC version, but no one has said anything about a PC version. Why are they making it sound as if the PC version will be out in six months? Just buy a PS5, (laughs)” said Naoki Yoshida during the Final Fantasy XIV live stream.

He apologized later saying that he went kind of overboard with the comment but he wants the fans to experience the game as the development team did their best to get it out.

https://gameinfinitus.com/news/xbox...o-dragons-dogma-using-backward-compatibility/

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hmmm. Never knew Yoshida to lie to his fans. Would be sad if there's no PC version. I wanna play it, but still waiting on PS5 Pro. If that means I can't play it until it releases...well then so be it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I was going to buy PS5 version regardless since I’m not in to or even own gaming PC.

With that being said I can understand a little not wanting come out on Xbox but why not just release both PC version and PS5 version at the same time?

My guess is SE needs time to do proper PC version.

YukiOnna

Can't confirm what hasn't been formally announced yet, technically.
We will have to wait 2 years for the PC version cuz Epic Games Store exclusive deal doesnt count as a PC release
Doesn't seem like they're bothering with EGS anymore.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Can't confirm what hasn't been formally announced yet, technically.

Doesn't seem like they're bothering with EGS anymore.

God i hope so, their launcher is trash.

Wouldn’t surprise me, they’ve been close since the Squaresoft days.

Mostly likely making partnerships for exclusivity deal for their big games. It would be hard for them to acquire Square Enix now, specially because they recently sold their Montreal division to Embracer and Sony is fighting agaisnt Microsoft on the whole Activission Blizzard stuff.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Mostly likely making partnerships for exclusivity deal for their big games. It would be hard for them to acquire Square Enix now, specially because they recently sold their Montreal division to Embracer and Sony is fighting agaisnt Microsoft on the whole Activission Blizzard stuff.
Difficult to announce because of the Activision acquisition but not difficult to get the wheels in motion.

Edit: Don’t forget Sony still has a planned 10B to spend in PlayStation acquisitions by the end of next March.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
Obviously ain't all games made on a PC in some capacity.
Irrelevant. The games might be made using Windows computers but they don't run on PC. They run on devkits. It wouldn't be possible to capture gameplay footage on PC unless there is a PC build.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
do all games say *also available on PC on the bottom of their trailers? well i guess most do now

the guy's comments sound tongue in cheek to me. only question in my mind is if they do another EGS deal after their games keep flopping there.

Irrelevant. The games might be made using Windows computers but they don't run on PC. They run on devkits. It wouldn't be possible to capture gameplay footage on PC unless there is a PC build.
Then he is bullshitting then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Our maybe Jim Ryan thinks it's a Playstation game and pop that on the Trailer.

Last edited:

Lethal01

OsirisBlack

Banned
God i hope so, their launcher is trash.

Buying SE isn’t the same as buying Activision especially now that SE sold off all their smaller studios. I know we’re just goofing but there are a few signs that this may actually be in the works. On topic PC release late 2024 or early 2025. Even if Sony buys SE:

Gaiff

Gold Member
That is a really silly thing to get hung up on.
Every game gets developed on PC and we aren't in 2005 so yes you can also play that game on the PC you made it on.
Completely untrue. Every game is developed on PCs but not every game is playable on PC. Playstation games don't have a PC (Windows) build unless one is made. The APIs used on Playstation are completely different from DirectX and cannot be run on Windows. The memory subsystems aren't the same. The libraries are different and so on.

Here is a comment from the lead software engineering at Nixxes who worked on the Spider-Man PC port.

Rebecca Fernandez: We had a few months of black screen until we got something rendering and yeah, it was very exciting to see the first wrong things appear on the screen.

Saying "Well, it was made on PC so it can run on PC" is false.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Just get a PS5

No one complained about Nintendo blocking access to PC for Monster Hunter Rise and they’re in even less competition than ps5 and pc
I have a Ps5 if you are concerned about it.
Still doesnt change the fact that this is a dick move, Same with nintendo.

YukiOnna

No one complained about Nintendo blocking access to PC for Monster Hunter Rise and they’re in even less competition than ps5 and pc
IIRC, Capcom announced that a PC version is in development before the Switch version released, though.
EDIT: Not that I think any sort of timed exclusivity is good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom