• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Producer Explains why they signed a PS5 timed exclusive contract with SIE! via 4Gamer

X-Wing

Sony has an entire studio dedicated to third-party support, XDev. Beyond that, there are studios helping with outside projects (like Guerrilla with Death Stranding). And also the ICE team trying to make some gains for first-party studios, even if they are running custom engines. It seems to work well. I'm not saying MS should follow the same pattern, but perhaps instead of just mere studio acquisitions, something like that would be more sustainable in the long run.

(not commenting on the Actibliz deal, I really don't care about COD or whatever the shell of Blizzard has to offer these days)

When Microsoft itself works mostly with contractors it gets difficult for them to support third party developers.

That doesn't sound like they have any plans to do a PC version ever
Ehh... I am pretty sure there will be a PC version. There is a PC version of every FF in existence including the most recently release FF15 and FF7 Remake.

FF7 Remake is/was also a timed exclusive for PS4/PS5. It's been on PC for quite a while now if I am not mistaken.

As for the Xbox version, that's a different story.

Calverz

Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes

SkylineRKR

I guess it's a combination of multiple factors . Sony probably has the best support environment out of the Big three. They've honed these skills and functions for near 30 years now. But Sony also has the largest playerbase for a series titled FF so obviously the barrier is less pronounced compared to MS or Nintendo which will be met with lesser sales. Lastly I do believe some Japanese work culture is involved here as these type of deals are almost always exclusive to Japan nowadays. It probably doesn't take much convincing when most of FF revenue is already focused to Playstation.

Yeah don't expect MS to gain a timed exclusive on something like Final Fantasy. The brand is important for Square, and their largest audience is on Playstation. FFXIV isn't even on Xbox for example. If they would do the reverse and bring this to Xbox first, it would hurt them for sure.

But Square is very involved with Sony regardless, its a bit like the PS1 and PS2 era. FFVII R, Forspoken, Rebirth, FFXVI... its all Playstation first. i wouldn't be surprised if Sony eventually buys them out though one could wonder how it would benefit Sony as they have Square's big games anyway, and day one too. They recently sold a lot of assets, Square is essentially trimmed down to what they were in the past. I feel its for the good. Those studios they sold were never a good fit imo. Square's promotion and projections on Tomb Raider, Hitman, Deus Ex et all were questionable at best.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
PC version will not release in 6 months (as they already aknowledged that), 1 year seem to be the minimum. I don't know if there's DLC planned, FFXV had many though not that great. But this team is the best square team by far so we can hope for eventually a good flawless PC port and maybe a great DLC later.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Microsoft willing to spend 70b on a publisher yet they did not even go for exclusivity, whos fault here?
Not much sense in doing a deal with the lesser instalbase and more important, with the instalbase that usually dont buy your games ... I can see this deal been the best for both... as it should

Go_Ly_Dow

Sounds good, focus on one platform where 75% or more of the sales come from anyway, rather than the 2 Xbox's and multiple PC builds. Receive financial, technical and promotional support from Sony. Release a jazzed up version for PC shortly after, including any updates and extra content.

Last edited:

Murdok

bullshit, they better have said that it's because of the money and because Sony is Japanese, and that if Switich wasn't so weak, it would have a port.

ProtoByte

Thats why. GOW was the best selling PS launch of ALL time. Only 5 million units of roughly $300-350 million in revenue. Hogwarts almost tripled that.
Ragnarok sold it's 5 million in one week compared to Hogwarts' two week window. It's also very likely that the majority of Hogwarts' sales were on PlayStation 5.

Last edited:
Well on the bright side at least they didn't have to waste resources on that stupid series S console.... they can figure how to port that later!

ACESHIGH

Banned
I have no issues with third parties releasing games later if it means they take the time to polish the game. It used to be the norm on PC.
I don't mind waiting as long as the PC version ends up being the best version of the game like on GTA V, RDR2 or FFXV

Mr Hyde

From Software said the same thing when they developed Bloodborne with SIE. Sony came in with lots of support and engineering, staffing up and making sure the quality was up to snuff. They had similar views to optimization (which ironically was crap in the end) only working on one platform, as it was beneficial to learn the ins and outs of next gen development. From Software took a lot of what they learned from BB development and implemented it in Dark Souls 3.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It’s funny that there always discussions around Sony deals, but nobody ask questions when MS has deals.

Games like Contraband, Warhammer Darktide, Scorn, High on Life, ExoMecha, STALKER 2, ARK 2 (more then 2 years exclusive) and many more.

JaksGhost

MS does have a similar model with Xbox Global Publishing. That’s where stuff like Avalanche’s Contraband and their game with IOI come in, among others. Before that, stuff like Ori and Cuphead
Those games are being published under Xbox Game Studios while your latter two examples had staggered releases after being console exclusive to Xbox. Apples to oranges here since SIE isn't the publisher.

Neofire

Sony may very well help greatly with the game development process but that isn't the only reason. SE knows which platform is their bread and butter let's not act simple.

Exclusives have always been a console thing.
The more Exclusives on each console the better.
I play on Xbox, but I don't care if PS gets Exclusives. I have nothing against PS, and I will buy one when I think there's enough to warrant it, so one day I will play all those Exclusives on PS.

I don't understand people who say that there shouldn't be Exclusives.
What's the point of having two consoles where 95% of the games are the same on both, and maybe there is 2 or 3 games a year that are first party exclusives?
Imagine if Netflix and Disney + had 95% the exact same shows except for 2 or 3 different original shows a year.

TrueLegend

Nope. It is visually subpar presentation of the game as far as it is running on PS5. The only saving grace is 60fps. From what I have seen so far this game deserves to run in all its glory of PC. I am hoping it is optimised like God of War Ragnarok on PS5 with all this exclusivity talk. I mean currently for me this game is only reason why PS5 exists for me otherwise it's a relic.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Nobody here gona talk why FF16 graphics look worse than 15

I mean look at that face graphics yo look very last gen and i mean ps3 360 last gen

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Typically, every exclusive deal, be it timed or permanent, comes with tech support and promotional support.

This has always been the case, and the upfront monetary cost of such agreements is influenced by how well the game is likely to sell on the platform. Eg, it would cost MS 10x more to secure such an agreement for this same game if at all possible.

What people really should be talking about here, is who is doing this for PC? Who is willing to offer promotional and tech support for games being made on the PC?

Or better yet, why isn't Valve or Epic doing this with third-party devs?

Kumomeme

we were developing together with SIE engineers who know the hardware thoroughly down to the core and we received generous support in optimization that we could not manage on our own and so on.

obviously Sony engineer keep quiet about the secret magical slider optimization tools! just simply turn up and down the graphics setting Yoshida!

MikeM

Exclusives have always been a console thing.
The more Exclusives on each console the better.
I play on Xbox, but I don't care if PS gets Exclusives. I have nothing against PS, and I will buy one when I think there's enough to warrant it, so one day I will play all those Exclusives on PS.

I don't understand people who say that there shouldn't be Exclusives.
What's the point of having two consoles where 95% of the games are the same on both, and maybe there is 2 or 3 games a year that are first party exclusives?
Imagine if Netflix and Disney + had 95% the exact same shows except for 2 or 3 different original shows a year.
Keanu Reeves Thank You GIF by NETFLIX

Bless your beautiful soul.

This is why I have a PS5 and a PC and not an Xbox. Console exclusives matter and they allow for devs to really squeeze every ounce out of a specific console.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Money. Sony basically buys the expected sales of the game on Xbox. SE probably exaggerate that expected number greatly. Both wins. One gets money with less effort and the other get to say EXCLUSIVE like it is some big achievement like the 20 people who buy the game on Xbox really care.

Weak PR.Leave it in the oven for another year, release on all (relevant) platforms at the same time, sell more copies, make more money.

OR mitigate the financial risk by taking a timed exclusivity deal.

I honestly have no problem with these kinds of deals in general, but the absolute BS excuses that comes from the devs to justify these decisions is embarrassing. From the marketing you'd think this game was only possible because of the "super special SSD of the PS5". When the game drops on other platforms a year later it will just prove that statement to be false.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Why wouldn't you want to develop for the platform where people are more likely to actually BUY your product rather than wait for gamepass or pirate it?
It’s really a mystery how people end up not buying in droves a game from a big publisher when it gets ported to their platform years after the original exclusive release.
Especially games from a publisher that counts only launch window sales and considers a few million sales a middling result at best, if not an outright failure.

cireza

The game was possible on PS5 because of the power of PS5/the SSD, as stated by the developers.

So I am not expecting PC or Xbox versions anytime soon, OR they will be greatly downgraded.

Last edited:
It makes a lot of sense for SE to make PS5 exclusives as their games probably sell 80/20 or more in favor of Playstation. And Sony might not even have to pay them but simply waive the platform holder fees.

SSfox

I mean it's not that hard for Sony to make this type of deals since FF usually sell very poorly on Xbox Hardwares

Top Bottom