• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Promises 70-80 Hours Of Gameplay For Completionists

Draugoth

Gold Member
xvi-740x431.jpg

• Was originally intended to be around 24 hours in length but things kept being expanded upon
  • 11 hours of cutscenes total, doesn't include battle transition scenes and such
  • 70-80 hours with sidequests, monster hunts, exploration
  • There is also a NG+ Hard mode called "Final Fantasy Mode" included they had previously said is harder than Dante Must Die difficulty in Devil May Cry
  • Online leaderboards after beating the game (some parts of the game are counted as stages like DMC games)
Square Enix’s upcoming role-playing game, Final Fantasy XVI, is set to take players on a lengthy journey. According to a Famitsu interview with director Hiroshi Takai and producer Naoki Yoshida, the game will take around 70 to 80 hours to earn 100% completion.

While the base game can be completed in around 35 hours, players looking to experience everything Final Fantasy XVI has to offer will be kept busy with side quests, monster hunts, and the newly-added New Game Plus mode. Yoshida wanted to ensure that even busy players could reach the end of the game in a reasonable amount of time, stating that he originally aimed for a 20-hour completion time but more and more was added to the game as development progressed.

Takai revealed that the game will also feature a leaderboard that will allow players to compete with others from around the world, providing endless gameplay. With a meaty 11 hours of cutscenes, Final Fantasy XVI promises to offer a story-driven experience that takes players on a roller coaster ride through the life of protagonist Clive. The game will be packed with battles and side quests, with Takai assuring players that there will be no shortage of things to do.

For those looking to truly master the game, Final Fantasy XVI’s New Game Plus mode will allow players to carry over their stats, offering even more gameplay hours. With all this content on offer, players can expect to spend a substantial amount of time in the world of Final Fantasy XVI.

Final Fantasy XVI is set to launch on June 22, 2023, exclusively for the PlayStation 5.

I'm not optimistic for this game at all as I was not a fan of anything after XII, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised and I'm definitely open to that possibility. This is weighing on my considerations to finally purchase a Ps5.

Jinzo Prime

Quick question Final Fantasy 14 fans: does this team change boss attack patterns for savage bosses? Just asking because just adding more health isn't going to cut it for new game plus for me.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
does it include the 11-12 hour cutscene? heard that else where >_>

Meicyn

Gold Member
Quick question Final Fantasy 14 fans: does this team change boss attack patterns for savage bosses? Just asking because just adding more health isn't going to cut it for new game plus for me.
Yes. Savage tier fights are a completely different experience than normal. The final boss of each raid tier also gets unique additional forms that you can only experience in savage. It’s similar to how extreme trials are different than hard mode trials, they aren’t the same fights.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'm okay with 70-80 hours as long as the game is really good, story and combat is great - something I simply cannot say about any single player FF game released starting from PS3/X360 era and up until now.

Last edited:

Brigandier

So 20-25 hours approx gameplay + 11 hours of cinematics??? Or 35 hours approx + 11 hours cinematics?.

The prior seems awfully light for any RPG not just an FF???

Last edited:

Fbh

Holy shit, a modern JRPG that's actually going to make the bloat optional?

ancient aliens yes GIF

Last edited:

Rea

This game should have been called "FF:spin-off". Doesn't look like a main FF game at all.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This game should have been called "FF:spin-off". Doesn't look like a main FF game at all.
You have shallow idea what FF game "should" be. To me FF games are anthology of fantasy RPG and if ever watched anthology before like "Animatrix" or "Memories", each short film have different style from each other and thats basically what FF is all about.

Last edited:

Rea

You have shallow idea what FF game "should" be. To me FF games are anthology of fantasy RPG and if ever watched anthology before like "Animatrix" or "Memories", each short film have different style from each other and thats basically what FF is all about.
Not talking about lore, style, stories...
Purely from gameplay perspective.

Three

No party, no jobs, no turn based / atb.
It has a party but one that you can't control. The no turn based is akin to FF7 remake and the FF before this (FFXV). I think the autonomous party members makes sense having played both of these. When it's not turn based party control is less intuitive.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

this is what i used to believe for FF14 too. it is a fu*kin MMO which is also not use turn based system

but im never been glad to be proven wrong and it opened my mind.

just give it a chance. wait until it released to draw conclusion.

Last edited:
Shame. I have to wait for this shit. I don't feel like buying another console After Switch. Ultra Rig + Switch = Good enough for me.
Probably a 8 months + before it drops on PC, minimum.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So 20-25 hours approx gameplay + 11 hours of cinematics??? Or 35 hours approx + 11 hours cinematics?.

The latter seems awfully light for any RPG not just an FF???
Light? 35+ hours of gameplay plus 11 hours of cinematic is massive (and they promise like 70+ hours for completionists) where many people will never finish the game period. I think we need to start pushing back for AAAA production values + no backtracking + totally unique content + 40+ hours game lengths not to have game production costs keep increasing unsustainably…

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looking forward to seeing how this reviews. Hope it's good, but such a drastic change from other final fantasies is a big gamble.

Markio128

Sounds good to me. I just hope there’s enough depth in the combat to keep things interesting throughout and that there is also a little freedom in how Clive can fight. In any case, it’s going to be an epic couple of months, with Zelda in May and FF16 in June. Two of my favourite franchises in two months is no joke.

Rea

i was also talking about both gameplay and it’s story. You yourself thinks FF can only be one style of RPG and devs disagree, simple as that.
Anyone can have different opinions. Devs can make whatever they want. But this game doesn't look like a main FF game rather more like a spin off and a clone of other game. Dodge and attack to win.

Myths

And I ended up with well over 200+ hours in FF12. I think the main quest was about 60+ hours alone for me.

Brigandier

Light? 35+ hours of gameplay plus 11 hours of cinematic is massive (and they promise like 70+ hours for completionists) where many people will never finish the game period. I think we need to start pushing back for AAAA production values + no backtracking + totally unique content + 40+ hours game lengths not to have game production costs keep increasing unsustainably…
I meant prior... I was tired. 20-25 hours + 11 hours cinematics.

I would be happy with a solid 30-35 hour main story if the 11 hours are on top of that.

DarthPutin

More beautiful big fantasy RPGs is an absolute win to me :messenger_savoring: I love exploring open worlds and finding monsters, but in more "grounded" games there is only so much you can find. Fantasy offers endless options.

GenPop loves them too, I think, so as long as the story has something catchy to it, they should be fine. Writing imporance is underrated when it comes to gaming, so this team's high credentials are very encouraging to me. You don't need Dostoevsky either, just a bit of unpredictable and emotional and you're all set.

Top Bottom