• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Targets 60 FPS in Performance Mode, but Combat Will Be Better Optimized

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah you'll be waiting for a year or two after launch. Good luck not getting spoiled for story by then.

OT, Its fine if the combat is smooth and fps outside of that not a stuttery mess. Also good to have confirmation that we have a 60fps mode.

You think it's going to be locked on PC?

Happy to wait if its wavering all over the place.

Yes, I think it will be locked 60FPS on my PC. If it isn't, the dev done FUCKKKKKED UP! lol

GymWolf

Strange that the incredible power of ps5 can't run this thing at 60 frames but it can run the vastly better looking hfw at 60...

Luipadre

1 year of polish with the help of sony wasnt enough to get a locked 60 on a title that started as a crossgen game. Hopefully the 30 fps mode is atleast stable with low input lag

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
30 fps is dog shit .. good that you liked.. now fuck off pretending your opinion matter most then other opinions as usual on topics that mention 30 fps , pro consoles and forspoken that piece of shit game
You are an ignorant.
30fps can be fine. You know nothing about gaming if you wont play a game because it’s 30fps.
And forspoken is one of best games this year. Only a fool would ignore it because of memes.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
what the big deal about 40 fps mode?

is it that much smoother than 30 to be worth it?

Please someone explain to me

People will tell you that it's the best compromise between performance and resolution/fidelity modes.

Here's the thing though, if you're gaming on an OLED...40fps modes look and feel almost exactly the same as the 30fps of yore - this is due to the OLEDs instant response times with 30fps modes looking stuttery/juddery , the 40 fps modes eliminate that giving "that" 30fps "feel" which many of us were used to.

Basically, on an OLED, the 40fps modes don't necessarily feel "smoother" aka "you're gaining +10fps", it just feels "30fps smooth ®" since games at 30fps feel - again - very juddery/stuttery.

I don't know about LCD/LED TVs, maybe there it does feel like you're gaining those +10fps.

Cheers

Last edited:

Bojji

what the big deal about 40 fps mode?

is it that much smoother than 30 to be worth it?

Please someone explain to me

If devs can't get above 50fps in framerate they should opt for 40fps mode. This is true for plague tale (at launch), it had 40fps mode because devs couldn't achieve more. Jedi survivor had dips in franerate so hard that it should only have 30fps and 40fps modes, 60 mode is a joke in this game.

40fps mode on 120hz screen is more responsive and looks better than 30fps. To me most games in 30fps are unplayable (except Bloodborne maybe thanks to low input lag).

Madflavor

30 fps is dog shit .. good that you liked.. now fuck off pretending your opinion matter most then other opinions as usual on topics that mention 30 fps , pro consoles and forspoken that piece of shit game

Not sure who pissed in your coffee this morning, but the vast majority of people who plays games either don’t notice, or aren’t that bothered by FPS drops. That is just a fact, and that is the way things are.

Most previews didn’t notice or didn’t bring up performance issues during their time. The ones that actually did, Easy Allies and Max, were still very positive about the game. If some gamers simply cannot tolerate the occasional FPS drop in a modern AAA game, they need to seriously readjust their attitude and expectations moving forward, because I can promise you it’s not going to get better, and a locked 60fps without EVER dipping is pretty rare.

Last edited:
Let me stay on topic and not address the shenanigans going on here. He is doing what Yoshi P does which really isn't good for game developers and being too fucking honest. He didn't say it would drop from 60 to 30 anywhere in the interview he's talking about one-off drops and occasionally. The game was done last year and has been polished since.

Madflavor

Let me stay on topic and not address the shenanigans going on here. He is doing what Yoshi P does which really isn't good for game developers and being too fucking honest. He didn't say it would drop from 60 to 30 anywhere in the interview he's talking about one-off drops and occasionally. The game was done last year and has been polished since.

Yeah Yoshi-P is refreshingly honest, even to a fault. But I always appreciate it.

Game development has to be one of the most stressful jobs. Work ungodly fucking hours on a single project for years, and then get endless emotional abuse from gamers.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Yeah Yoshi-P is refreshingly honest, even to a fault. But I always appreciate it.

Game development has to be one of the most stressful jobs. Work ungodly fucking hours on a single project for years, and then get endless emotional abuse from gamers.
Some of the questions the FF team get asked in the interviews are tiresome. 3 years of repeating the same questions about it being an action game, or about exclusivity, or diversity...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm more interested in finding if there are any other feature-differences between Resolution and Performance mode?

If it's identical just running at an unlocked frame rate, it's gonna be ideal for VRR displays.

But if it's cutting a lot of things like Plague Tale: Requiem's Performance mode, then there might be something to sticking to the Quality mode.

Also, a 40hz option would be nice too.

Gambit2483

Strange that the incredible power of ps5 can't run this thing at 60 frames but it can run the vastly better looking hfw at 60...
It might have to do with the Decima engine being easier to optimize 60fps for? 🤔

Death Stranding 1 &2 also use Decima and we know how much Kojima is a stickler for 60fps

bruh GIF

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
No is not .... is smother but not near close to the 60 fps experience .... people will say is the second coming of jesus the savior of slowass fps ...but at least to my eyes on a Oled screen 40 fps is just what it is .. 30 fps a little better.
Tested on Horizon FW and RaC Rift apart and went back to the 60 fps mode without looking back.

Someone mention in another thread that 40 fps for oled is the 30 fps mode for Led screens, because 30 fps on oled is broken. Its a good comparison
IMO 40fps on OLED needs BFI. Then it’s tolerable. But the hit in HDR and loss of VRR is not worth it for me so 60fps it is whenever possible.

Lokaum D+

again ppl having meltdowns ( like in SM3 thread ) and the game inst even out yet, chill out, at least wait for DF Review on this.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It was still shit at launch on PC and Xbox even with the patch.

Right but even on the quote unquote lead platform on the PS5, the un-patched version is a literal broken mess.

Not saying its revelatory for every single game, but it can make a difference. And with the FF16 devs already saying things like don't expect performance mode to have a consistent performance, maybe they should revisit their stance on having a patch or two around the launch window.

hinch7

again ppl having meltdowns ( like in SM3 thread ) and the game inst even out yet, chill out, at least wait for DF Review on this.
Don't see many 'meltdowns', but there are predicable reactions in here, using it as platform to console war.

Meicyn

Gold Member
oh no the frame counter said 52 during the df analysis video at 3 minutes 14 seconds yeah gonna pass

Luigi Mario

But if it's cutting a lot of things like Plague Tale: Requiem's Performance mode, then there might be something to sticking to the Quality mode.

Also, a 40hz option would be nice too.
We still have no indication what sacrifices they have made on resolution, draw distance and foliage for performance mode, but hopefully the upcoming demo will make things clearer.

Last edited:
Youtubers who Played the demo for 4 hours, was saying 60fps in combats, 30-40 in exploration
The only YouTuber that said this was Max. Unless you have seen another one everyone else said the performance was very good. It is also already known that they played an older build and not everyone played the same build.

The only YouTuber that said this was Max. Unless you have seen another one everyone else said the performance was very good. It is also already known that they played an older build and not everyone played the same build.
A lot of YouTubers were saying the console version of Jedi Survivor was locked 60fps but the reality is that it drops to the 30s. Many wouldn't know their arse from their elbow so better to wait for performance reviews if that sort of thing bothers you.

I've got loads in my backlog so will wait anyhow but hopefully it does run well for day one folk.

I don't get what the issue is here.

If the game holds 60fps during combat where it's important, then what does it matter if it drops to 30fps out of combat?
It might be a translation/language thing, but it sounds more like it'll be 60fps out of combat with some dips... or I could be totally wrong lol

Back to 30fps tho... I think 30fps can be acceptable, we seen that recently but the game has to be exceptional, but it's the switching from 60fps then to 30fps then back to 60fps that will be the issue. I've tried it with a few games, just to see what it would look like... and I tell you switching from performance to res, then back again is pretty jarring, at least initially. I imagine one could get used to res mode eventually, but If that's happening constantly it might turn players off... 60 to 30 is a big gap.

vkbest

It might be a translation/language thing, but it sounds more like it'll be 60fps out of combat with some dips... or I could be totally wrong lol

Back to 30fps tho... I think 30fps can be acceptable, we seen that recently but the game has to be exceptional, but it's the switching from 60fps then to 30fps then back to 60fps that will be the issue. I've tried it with a few games, just to see what it would look like... and I tell you switching from performance to res, then back again is pretty jarring, at least initially. I imagine one could get used to res mode eventually, but If that's happening constantly it might turn players off... 60 to 30 is a big gap.
This game is basically DMC with RPG mechanics, playing this at 30fps….

Umbasaborne

Banned
What the fuck.
And people say we dont need pro consoles.
We dont, the ps5 and series x are plenty capable when in the right hands. Garbage like jedi survivoe or this are outliers. Also, doesnt matter how pro your console is, in the end, consoles will always be primarily 30 fps machines as graphical ambitions continue to grow. If you want high framerates and resolutions without sacraficing one, then get a pc

Last edited:

vkbest

Not only max, I remember other who said looked as 40fps. The point developer told us this is because the framerate out of combat will be unstable. Probably they are dropping aggressive resolution in combats

I'm gonna chalk this up to stuff lost in translation. The framerate's probably going to be closer to 60 most of the time than not. The demo will give us a better idea of that though. No need to panic juuust yet

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
We dont, the ps5 and series x are plenty capable when in the right hands. Garbage like jedi survivoe or this are outliers.
Are they?

Horizon FW shipped with an 1800p cb mode that looked like dogshit that literally took 4 months to fix. Even then it required several downgrades to foliage density and draw distance besides the massive drop in pixels from 8.2 million all the way down to 2.8 million.

Dead Space's 60 fps mode runs at a internal resolution of 960p.

Returnal runs at an internal resolution of 1080p.

Spiderman Miles' RT performance mode can drop all the way down to 1080p during intensive areas and thats a last gen game.

RE4 had massive IQ issues in its performance modes. On XSX where it didnt have IQ issues, the game was dropping to 35 fps.

Gotham KNights was locked at 30 fps.

Hogwarts drops to 1080p and still has drops.

Plague's tale 60 fps mode just came out and is a huge downgrade in fidelity with massive cuts to foliage rendering, draw distance and even NPC counts.

Metro dropped below 1080p on PS5.

Guardians dropped below 60 fps at just 1080p on PS5 and XSX.

Yes, they might not be dropping down to 600p, but 1080p or sub 1080 with severe downgrades to visual fidelity isnt really acceptable. I dont know how you can tell people to get a PC but balk at the suggestion that we might need mid gen consoles.

Top Bottom