• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Trailer for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

sol_bad

I'll be watching A New Hope tonight, haven't watched it in about 5 years so should be fun. Personally, as long as the movies are good, I'm happy with them pumping out more as the Star Wars galaxy is huge and and has huge potential.

I'll be watching A New Hope tonight, haven't watched it in about 5 years so should be fun. Personally, as long as the movies are good, I'm happy with them pumping out more as the Star Wars galaxy is huge and and has huge potential.
They're doing a marathon on TNT right now with all the movies minus TLJ and Solo. I've been watching them all again so far.

sol_bad

A New Hope
Movie still holds up really well, such a simple film and so straight forward. I wish "fans" would re-watch this and remember how straight forward the film is and how nothing is explained about anything. I know it was a simpler time back in 1977 and you didn't have jack ass Youtubers making videos but I just wish all the nit picking would stop.
It's not the best acting ever but somehow Lucas managed to get decent performances out of the actors. Makes me wonder what the hell happened to him in the prequel trilogy. Hammil probably overdoes the whiny teenager schtick at the start but that's about all.
Due to it being the updated version of the film, it's really hard to comment on how the original films action was shot in terms of the Death Star attack. The newer CGI version look great and is fun to watch, I don't think it detracts from the viewing primarily due to me no longer remembering the original cut of the film.
I still stand by my statements that I've said before on this forum about Luke. The only thing he struggles with are the sand people at the start of the film and that's because he was sucker punched. Everything else he easily overcomes himself.

I will say the CGI Jabba still looks fucking atrocious and they should have left it on the cutting room floor. In all honesty he looks terrible in the Phantom Menace as well.

sol_bad

Empire Strikes Back
Bloody amazing film all the way though, I can't fault it at all. Love Luke, love Han, love Leia. Love the incest kiss between siblings. HAH
They really open the universe up in this film and expand quite a bit on the lore. They still keep the force mystical and so audiences have no understanding of how it really works, I guess it's been kept that way throughout all the films but the prequel films did try to over explain it. I'm happy that my point of view was validated upon re-watching all the films so far, there is absolutely nothing in any of the films that suggest people have to be blood related to use the force.

The interactions between Luke and Yoda are great. Although I have to say now that the prequels have been around for yonks, it makes no sense for Yoda to even train Luke. He didn't want to train Anakin when he was 8 years old because he was too old. And here he is starting to train an 18 year old. By the prequels logic it should be impossible to train Luke. lol

Darth Vader's ship the Executor looks bloody amazing, all the special effects hold up really well. My sister in law who has never seen any Star Wars films was over and was amazed that the film was from 1980. I wish Lucas had stuck to more practical effects in the prequel films, he could have pioneered the current technique of augmenting the practical effects with CGI at an earlier time.

sol_bad

Return of the Jedi
Probably the worst of the original trilogy. I think the mission the rescue Han just takes too long, I think it eats up about 40 minutes of the film. Followed by some downtime with Yoda and then the rest is the fight on Endor, space fight and Luke vs Vader. This isn't much wriggle room for the 3 heroes to really interact with each other in any meaningful way.

The action is all shot well, light saber fight is a bit underwhelming though.
Makes me laugh when Palpartine says his elite soldiers are on Endor and they get their arses kicked by a bunch of Care Bears. Lando has barely any presence again. Care Bears mouths not moving is distracting.

I know Luke cries at the end when his father dies but how is th red audience meant to sympathize with him? Their relationship isn't built up at all. It really makes no sense for Luke to cry if I'll be honest.

sol_bad

The Force Awakens
Love it, love it, love it. I know that in some ways it's a retread of the original film but there is enough here that is different to enjoy. I love Finn and Rey in this first film, their interactions are great and I like that they really care about each other. Regarding Rey and her powers, everyone including herself continuously comments on how she has natural powers and is very in-tune with the force. Kylo Ren has a cry to Snoke about how he has been trained and she is just as strong as him without training. It's obvious from the outset that there is a bigger plan in mind regarding her arc and if the new movie delves into this PLEASE do not spoil it here.

Poe gets the short end of the stick unfortunately and doesn't get much characterisation here. I guess that matches up with A New Hope and Leia in a way where she is just a throw away character in a few scenes. In the original film it's primarily Luke+Han and in this it's Rey+Finn. Poe's personality does match up with The Last Jedi though, he mocks Kylo Ren at the start suggesting he can't understand what he is saying with the mask on. In The Last Jedi he mocks General Hux as well, haven't seen Last Jedi for ages so I'm honestly not sure if the tone is the same or different between movies.

Action is all very good and intense. Love Finn vs the stormtrooper and love Finn/Rey vs Kylo. Very well choreographed fights and probably the best out of all the films.

This could be my favourite out of all the Star Wars films. Will watch Last Jedi tonight and Rise of Skywalker tomorrow and then I'll know for sure.

Grinchy

Banned
Daisy seems afraid to be stuck in Star Wars. Oscar is just small time imo and hasn’t really done a great job. I doubt either of them will be back and that’s assuming they survive. I feel like Daisy could be back after a few years of realizing she’s not going to be some amazing huge actor and SW will be big money if they want her to come back. I’m sure she’s salty about her relatively small payday for these movies compared to the OG actors.
I would hope she didn't see it that way. It's the most money she's ever made, and she's now a household name. If she didn't get this job, we'd still all have no idea who she was. She'll end up with big paydays for at least a couple more movies, and if they don't flop, she'll have a career.

Jonah Hill took SAG minimum to bust his ass in a Scorscesse movie when he was already making millions per film. Sometimes the opportunity and effects it has on your long-term career are more important than the money. When they are doing Star Wars 16-18, and they want crusty old Daisy to come back, she'll just be glad she can afford cocaine again like Carrie was.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

I would hope she didn't see it that way. It's the most money she's ever made, and she's now a household name. If she didn't get this job, we'd still all have no idea who she was. She'll end up with big paydays for at least a couple more movies, and if they don't flop, she'll have a career.

Jonah Hill took SAG minimum to bust his ass in a Scorscesse movie when he was already making millions per film. Sometimes the opportunity and effects it has on your long-term career are more important than the money. When they are doing Star Wars 16-18, and they want crusty old Daisy to come back, she'll just be glad she can afford cocaine again like Carrie was.

SpottedTestyHerring-size_restricted.gif

sol_bad

The Last Jedi
Yep, watching this again after 2 years has solidified it as one of my favorite Star Wars films released. It definitely has the deepest and most interesting interactions between 2 characters out of all the films so far, that being Rey and Kylo/Ben. The relationship between Rey and Luke is also really well done, Mark Hammil does such a great job as Luke and he really does break your heart with how his world view is. I nearly teared up when Luke and Leia saw each other, very touching scene.

The amount of nit picks this film gets for such mundane things is beyond ridiculous.
*I'll agree that some out the humor was out of place but having seen the film previously twice before you can just accept the scenes without the intended humor. Poe with the mum joke, it's in character. Luke throwing the light saber away, why would he even want to see that miserable light saber again?
*People complaining about the bombs dropping on the Dreadnaught at the start, do people forget that Darth Vader's ship (The Executor) falls down to the surface of the Death Star 2?
*People complaining about Kylo being able to blow up the hanger bay because it should be shielded, the films have had many scenes where capital ships energy blasts hit the shields but the TIE fighters/X-Wings actually impact the ships themselves, people should know this with the Star Destroyers, they have shields but the X-Wings can still attack and blow up the fuel pods. They have deflector shields which only stops energy blasts but not physical objects.
*Same goes for the TIE fighters blowing up the bridge with missiles, the deflector shields were at full power at the rear of the ship.
*The slow chase through space, this is just the setting for the story, the film doesn't focus on that literal chase. The logistics make sense though, the First Order is too far away and their shots can't do any real damage (it's space sci-fi fantasy and not based on fact, see dropping bombs and the Executor mentioned above). The Resistance's plan is sound and would have worked if Finn/Rose didn't go on their mission and if Poe trusted his superior.
*Complaints about Holdo staying on the freighter rather than boarding a transport ship and heading to Crait with everyone else. The logic makes sense, auto pilot would just make the ship fly straight, manually flying and turning the ship would hold the First Orders attention so that they wouldn't notice the transport ships leaving. It's lucky she stayed behind as well because DJ told the First Order what the Resistance were doing and she was able to save them.
*Holdo being a "bitch" to Poe, no, military organisation's have a strict ranking and lower ranked officers follow the higher ranked officers with no questions asked. Even if Holdo told Poe what the plan was, mutiny would have just happened faster. Poe didn't commit mutiny until he found out about the transport ship plan. Two people on the same team fighting also causes a hell of a lot of confusion among the soldiers which is never a good thing.
*Finn and Roses plan to Canto Bight being a waste of time, no, Finn agrees to the mission as ultimately (in his mind) it will help save Rey. It's also where he decides to start helping the Resistance rather than look out for himself. Rose grows as a person, she goes from being a passive mechanic to actively involving herself in the battle. People say it's a waste of time as well because they accomplish absolutely nothing in their mission, that's exactly the entire point of this sub-story and the film as a whole, learning from our failures.
*I've seen videos stating that everyone remaining in the Resistance is too happy in the final shots on the Falcon, this simply isn't true. They aren't happy, just glad that they were able to survive so they can fight another day.

The movie is so damn good. I love it so much.

*EDIT*
GAH
Only 7 hours to go for Rise of Skywalker!

Last edited:
Okay, so I HATED TLJ when it came out. I saw it once in theaters and walked out just.. just done with Star Wars. I can't really quantify it more than that. I just didn't care. I disliked the movie, it felt so wrong, after so much build up. I was just so disappointed. After that, I really liked what they did with Rebels, and then really liked Solo, and the marketing campaign for TROS got me interested, but I just hated TLJ.

I ended up buying the novelization when it came out, hoping it would help me mentally resolve some of my issues with TLJ because I've been a huge Star Wars fan my whole life, and didn't "like" hating this movie so much. The novelization helped, a little bit. Giving extra info on Rose & her Sister, and details on the hyperspace tracking, and Poe's X-wings retrofits/etc was all nice materials, as well as more background on Snoke etc. It's a worthwhile read for anyone who likes Star Wars.

THAT BEING SAID! I did a re-watch this week before watching TROS, and the following points still stick in my craw, and I don't think they'll ever change.

*Complaints about Holdo staying on the freighter rather than boarding a transport ship and heading to Crait with everyone else. The logic makes sense, auto pilot would just make the ship fly straight, manually flying and turning the ship would hold the First Orders attention so that they wouldn't notice the transport ships leaving. It's lucky she stayed behind as well because DJ told the First Order what the Resistance were doing and she was able to save them.

Realistically, if her plan worked, they'd be gone fast enough so no one noticed she wasn't at the helm. Don't tell me they don't have autopilot or a droid that can do lazy S motions on a stick. There should have been a clear reason she needed to stay on-board. Honestly, she should have made a short jump to lightspeed, and had the whole First Order armada follow her the moment the shuttles disembarked. The First Order would have arrived and blown up the ship and assumed all were dead. WIN WIN! She goes out a hero, the Resistance is saved.. AND it makes sense. But no.. her "lucking" into being on-board to pull her Holdo maneuver isn't good writing, it's happenstance. That being said, I was happy to be rid of her so I'm ok with this one.

*Holdo being a "bitch" to Poe, no, military organisation's have a strict ranking and lower ranked officers follow the higher ranked officers with no questions asked. Even if Holdo told Poe what the plan was, mutiny would have just happened faster. Poe didn't commit mutiny until he found out about the transport ship plan. Two people on the same team fighting also causes a hell of a lot of confusion among the soldiers which is never a good thing.

No no no no no. Poe didn't commit mutiny until he got confirmation that Holdo was sticking everyone into the transports. That's it. No plan. Just getting in the transports. He even gives her an opportunity to explain or elaborate, which she doesn't. He mutinies, and all she says is "I hope you understand what you're doing". UHHHH OKAY. This (or any time prior) would have been a perfect time to mention, oh we're getting in this transports to MAKE IT TO A HIDDEN REBEL BASE RIGHT OVER THERE! Literally, anyone would have said "oh, okay that makes sense, lets do that" but no... she continues to withhold information for zero reason (spite?). There is not one defensible reason for her to continue to keep him/them in the dark at that point. Maybe if they'd written in some sort of "Saboteur/spy on board" plot, I could find a way to excuse her behavior, but... as it is on screen? No. This is completely, absolutely ridiculous. I have to literally actively try not to think too hard about this, or I can't enjoy the movie. It sticks in my craw something fierce.

Also, her attitude from the beginning IS "bitchy/sarcastic/rude" which is something we've never really gotten from a SW character in all the different movies. Even the villians are usually not blatantly rude. Ugh. Holdo is one thing I cannot forgive in TLJ.

*Finn and Roses plan to Canto Bight being a waste of time, no, Finn agrees to the mission as ultimately (in his mind) it will help save Rey. It's also where he decides to start helping the Resistance rather than look out for himself. Rose grows as a person, she goes from being a passive mechanic to actively involving herself in the battle. People say it's a waste of time as well because they accomplish absolutely nothing in their mission, that's exactly the entire point of this sub-story and the film as a whole, learning from our failures.

On another pass, Canto Bite wasn't as horrible as I remembered. It still wasn't GOOD, I think Rose's "Rich people evil!" shtick was too on-the-nose, and the whole space horses & slave children thing was.. ehhh. But it was okay enough where I can get by with an eye-roll at this point. Parking on the beach? The whole reason their mission got derailed? That's just dumb though.

The movie is so damn good. I love it so much.

I'll admit, it's better than I first though. Outside of the above things which I didn't like at all, and literally have to roll my eyes past, I enjoyed the majority of the movie. I think the Kylo/Rey/Luke stuff is great, when I first thought it was a gross mis-characterization. The movie is mostly very visually appealing, which is nice too. I liked the music better this time. The Luke/Kylo showdown was pretty cool too once you know what's coming/what to look for. I still don't think he should have died though, maybe pushed a Yoda-like scene into TROS where Rey comes back to a stricken/dying Luke or something. I dunno. It's okay.

So yeah, I HATED TLJ something fierce, and I've come to accept most of it (F you Holdo) over time. I don't think my TLJ opinion changed much due to TROS, but if anything it improved it a little as they followed up on some things introduced there.

prag16

Banned
*People complaining about the bombs dropping on the Dreadnaught at the start, do people forget that Darth Vader's ship (The Executor) falls down to the surface of the Death Star 2?
Your post in general: Some opinions are bad. But it's all okay. Captain Zyrain covered some of your more egregious erros, but I have to comment on this one. Death Star 2 is fucking massive. It's totally conceivable it could have its own gravitational pull.

Captain Zyrain Captain Zyrain I can't get on board with TLJ somehow having gotten better as a result of TRoS, at all. The way in which they followed up in many cases was to actively shit on it. As I said on the last page, TLJ is okay and entertaining to a reasonable extent, but also a terrible fit for this trilogy and this franchise. And yeah. F U Holdo. All time bad Star Wars character. Probably worse than Jar Jar.

Your post in general: Some opinions are bad. But it's all okay. Captain Zyrain covered some of your more egregious erros, but I have to comment on this one. Death Star 2 is fucking massive. It's totally conceivable it could have its own gravitational pull.

Captain Zyrain Captain Zyrain I can't get on board with TLJ somehow having gotten better as a result of TRoS, at all. The way in which they followed up in many cases was to actively shit on it. As I said on the last page, TLJ is okay and entertaining to a reasonable extent, but also a terrible fit for this trilogy and this franchise. And yeah. F U Holdo. All time bad Star Wars character. Probably worse than Jar Jar.

I don't think TRoS enhanced much of TLJ but it also didn't make it worse. I don't want to get into spoilers here, but at least a few of the ideas or places or whatever were followed up on in a good way in TRoS I believe. I think it makes TLJ easier to swallow as only a 1/3rd of the saga instead of 1/2 like it was for the last couple of years.

Side note. I don't think so, but did anyone even mention Starkiller base in TLJ? I don't recall it coming up even once, even though it seems to take places hours after TFA.

Ulysses 31

The 1st Order first targeting a stationary base that's being evacuated instead of the fleet containing the rest of the resistance is a dumb tactical move. 1st Order only sending 4 fighters to the Raddus is another dumb move if they're serious about destroying the resistance. 1st Order not hyperspacing a few destroyers in front of the resistance fleet while chasing them also shows incompetence.

Why would the resistance use these slow and weak bombers that need to be above their target instead of Y-Wings bombers? RJ wanted some cool WW2 imagery

Leia and Holdo being pissy at Poe for losing soldiers after destroying the dreadnaught shows their lack of critical thinking. Poe not pointing this out is also questionable.

Incredible coincidence of getting locked up with someone having skills of a code breaker and knowing how to escape their prison cell and showing up with a ship when needed.

Rose cared more about the animals than the slave kids, Fin makes a dumb point of having hurt the rich while ignoring who will very likely be cleaning up the mess.

The movie is just full of dumb things that hurt enjoyment of you have any standards of decent story telling.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I can't imagine that it would have gravitational pull, it doesn't need to spin to create gravity. They'd have artificial gravity like on their ships.

I feel the whole sequel trilogy sufferred from subpar writing/performances from the First Order people outside Mylo and maybe Hux (depending on what they were going for). The original Empire had mostly competent Admirals and Officers and never came across as a joke. It made victory so much more earned, and sweeter.

This also translated to all the ridiculous tactical choices made throughout the movies.

gatti-man

Afaik she didn’t make much in these films actually. She did get tons of exposure but it hasn’t really set her career on fire and I doubt it will. She doesn’t seem that great of an actress in general. she also doesn’t seem interested in doing more Star Wars. However I’m sure that will change when her career doesn’t go places.

Top Bottom