• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally read the entire Harry Potter series (Spoilers)

Cutty Flam

Banned
I finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows about an hour ago...

No spoilers btw on my part, I only wanted to put the tag up there in case others might spoil anything, and I would hope that it’s a hidden spoiler used with the tags, please, for others’ enjoyment in case they end up reading later

But anyway, what an extraordinary ending. Phenomenal. It’s such a fantastic conclusion. So much happened in the last 150 pages or so that it was just nonstop intensity. It did and it didn’t feel like 150 final pages to me lol

Kinda sad now that I’ve read them all now...But it’s such a captivating and moving series. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows might even be my second or third favorite in the series, which is saying something because that would make my fourth favorite Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which is an incredible, thrilling, just overall enchanting book in the Harry Potter series

I love Deathly Hallows so much because of how real the threat is in the beginning. It’s so fucking crazy how quick things pick up and how extreme the measures are. The adventure that took place in this book, is breath-taking. It might even be my favorite tbh, it’s just that it’s so emotional that you find it hard to score it accurately because you want everything to go towards good’s side, and nearly nothing to go right for the evil opposing the good

This book is so amazing, that it made my least favorite book in the series, more interesting and appealing due to what happened, and the truth

What a ride, what an author, what a beautifully crafted world, and what amazing characters. I’m wholeheartedly impressed and in awe with J.K. Rowling and these books of hers

Harry Potter is a tale I will never forget and cherish for the rest of my days. Exhilarating fun, there aren’t enough thoughts of admiration and praise to explain the greatness of it all, so I’ll just say that it’s simply a masterpiece. A fucking bonafide masterpiece for the ages

Cutty Flam

Banned
well done, son
Thank you, Cunt. I’m going to recommend to you these books. I want you to buy the entire collection, book 1-7 and read these to your children. I’m serious man. This is good stuff, and they’re going to enjoy it and never be able to thank you enough for introducing them

I started off young too, maybe 10 or so, and I wasn’t quite mature enough at 12 or whatever I was when I had read the 4th book a quarter of the way. But here I am many years later, having went from start to finish in a little less than a year’s time, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed each installment. Your five children are going to love Harry Potter

buizel

Banned
deathly hallows is silly book

jk rowling goes full on edgelord with death city. weasley twin. half the teachers. that owl. remember this girl:
Lavender_Brown.jpg

head smashed open with a rock and the bad guys are eating her (for some reason)

m a g i c a l

NeoGiffer

Thank you, Cunt. I’m going to recommend to you these books. I want you to buy the entire collection, book 1-7 and read these to your children. I’m serious man. This is good stuff, and they’re going to enjoy it and never be able to thank you enough for introducing them

I started off young too, maybe 10 or so, and I wasn’t quite mature enough at 12 or whatever I was when I had read the 4th book a quarter of the way. But here I am many years later, having went from start to finish in a little less than a year’s time, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed each installment. Your five children are going to love Harry Potter

tenor.gif

Cutty Flam

Banned
buizel buizel The book is amazing bro. I knew I couldn’t expect everything to be alright. The fourth, fifth, and sixth book were tough in their ways too

Also, please use spoiler tags with your spoilers, it would be a great respect to those who might end up coming in here with no knowledge of the series for whatever reason m, and end up ruining some of the fun for themselves. Maybe later, they’ll read these books

jk rowling goes full on edgelord with death city. weasley twin. half the teachers. that owl. remember this girl:
Lavender_Brown.jpg

m a g i c a l
umm Lavender Brown?

In Deathly Hallows, during the Battle of Hogwarts, Lavender is attacked by Fenrir Greyback, but is saved by a crystal ball hurled by Professor Trelawney, ultimately surviving the battle.

GymWolf

Lavender_Brown.jpg

m a g i c a l
only one of the weasley twins dies.

Been forever since I read the books but I remember thinking they all got better except the 5th one. Order of the Pheonix took a step back, for me, but then they picked up again afterward.

man I loved this shit back in the day

I finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows about an hour ago...

No spoilers btw on my part, I only wanted to put the tag up there in case others might spoil anything, and I would hope that it’s a hidden spoiler used with the tags, please, for others’ enjoyment in case they end up reading later

But anyway, what an extraordinary ending. Phenomenal. It’s such a fantastic conclusion. So much happened in the last 150 pages or so that it was just nonstop intensity. It did and it didn’t feel like 150 final pages to me lol

Kinda sad now that I’ve read them all now...But it’s such a captivating and moving series. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows might even be my second or third favorite in the series, which is saying something because that would make my fourth favorite Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which is an incredible, thrilling, just overall enchanting book in the Harry Potter series

I love Deathly Hallows so much because of how real the threat is in the beginning. It’s so fucking crazy how quick things pick up and how extreme the measures are. The adventure that took place in this book, is breath-taking. It might even be my favorite tbh, it’s just that it’s so emotional that you find it hard to score it accurately because you want everything to go towards good’s side, and nearly nothing to go right for the evil opposing the good

This book is so amazing, that it made my least favorite book in the series, more interesting and appealing due to what happened, and the truth

What a ride, what an author, what a beautifully crafted world, and what amazing characters. I’m wholeheartedly impressed and in awe with J.K. Rowling and these books of hers

Harry Potter is a tale I will never forget and cherish for the rest of my days. Exhilarating fun, there aren’t enough thoughts of admiration and praise to explain the greatness of it all, so I’ll just say that it’s simply a masterpiece. A fucking bonafide masterpiece for the ages
Nicely done! They are fantastic books.

Currently reading the books with my kid. On Chamber of Secrets now.

I took the family to Universal last year. If you have any doubt to HP success. There is no shortage of people who want more. The Hagrid Coaster is easily the best ride out there currently.

Last edited:

HarryKS

It was a bittersweet ending with regards to Snape.

Remember reading the Escape from Gringotts at the time and wondering how on earth they were gonna adapt that into a movie. Even with CGI that thing was gonna take a lot of effort.

SpartanN92

Banned
My favorite book series ever.
Snape’s story was perfect. It’s amazing how he went from being my least favorite person ever to one of the best as soon as his real role in the story was fully revealed.

Cutty Flam

Banned
My favorite book series ever.
Snape’s story was perfect. It’s amazing how he went from being my least favorite person ever to one of the best as soon as his real role in the story was fully revealed.
Easily one of the best. A double agent / spy and he’s working for the most feared man, the most feared wizard in history? The margin for error? It’s just insane how he pulled it off. He had seven years to slip but didn’t give a single inch....I wish he would have at least had a chance to fight though, very sad how he died. His only mistake was not fighting back against Voldemort at that very last moment. It was the first time he froze and didn’t know what to do and unfortunately it was at the absolute worst time. I thought it meant a lot that Harry named one if his sons, Albus Severus and said he was the bravest man he ever knew. Blown away. Snape always intrigued me, but I never thought he was on the level he was. The intelligence and talent he had to have possessed to pull off everything, very powerful...

Cutty Flam

Banned
It’s crazy to think he went from a second class character in our minds, to literally the character with as much burden as Harry Potter if you think about it. Well actually, a little less considering Snape was never targeted, but they both carried the wizarding world to a peaceful era. What a job, well done

buizel

Banned
i do actually like the books and some of the films (i love the first 4, probably nostalgia)
umm Lavender Brown?

In Deathly Hallows, during the Battle of Hogwarts, Lavender is attacked by Fenrir Greyback, but is saved by a crystal ball hurled by Professor Trelawney, ultimately surviving the battle.

oh my bad

e50aff4f61aba7a876e4fa04e13ce882c6f56633_00.jpg

heres her from the film dead and fenrir greyback is eating her. enjoy that image

good thing she was saved in your fantasy land

w8fmhTo.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Little Colin Creevey as well, he stayed back despite being underage, and fought. Lupin and Tonks both died on the front line leading the battle most likely
yeah i edited that post, i thought
you was saying that both twins died,
i know about the other victims.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I interpreted it as Lavender Brown was as good as dead in the Deathly Hallows. It said something along the lines of she was “feebly [moving?shaking?twitchin?]) and the Professor Trelawney attacked Fenrir Greyback and I think knocked him out cold with a spell and her crystal ball. Or maybe she simply threw it? But I think she died, although it was ambiguous to a degree, it wasn’t clearly stayed. I don’t think she way in the area where they lied out the dead in the Great Hall, so maybe she was just severely injured? I might have to go back and read some to see and get a better idea of it

eot

Banned
I thought the last book was pretty bad, and she botched the ending. The flash forward part at the very end was extra lame. The films are worse though, I think I stopped after the 3rd one.

I mean, they're good adventure books for children but eh.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Nicely done! They are fantastic books.

Currently reading the books with my kid. On Chamber of Secrets now.

I took the family to Universal last year. If you have any doubt to HP success. There is no shortage of people who want more. The Hagrid Coaster is easily the best ride out there currently.

*Don’t click the spoiler if you haven’t read them all yet btw

Thanks, feels good to be able to talk about them and read about them at large without spoiling anything anymore. They’re absolutely superb man, the first three are so wonderfully written it’s just beautiful. And they’re more lighthearted. The fourth is AMAZING. Constant excitement, thrilling as can be, mystery level is high, the events that take place from start to finish is just one unbelievable home run out of the park after another, constantly. The fourth book is definitely my favorite. Fifth book, looking back is pretty cool because it was unique, and long. I should have taken more time to read the definitions of words, because I couldn’t quite picture all the very small details of
12 Grimauld Palace or the Department of Mysteries, despite those two places being key places in the bull of the book. Sixth book was great in its own ways, and the seventh is 10/10 work nearly. I really, really loved the entire beginning and middle portion of that book. It was so suspenseful and tense knowing that Harry, Hermione, and Ron were camping out like nomads all over the country and such just trying to plan and plot their moves. In such a vulnerable time during the absolute worst manhunt they could imagine, and all they could rely on was a tent, survival tactics in the wild, and the best protective enchantments they had learned. It held up basically perfectly every time too. I can’t describe the tense feeling of the seventh book. But it will definitely be worth reading again and again. It was do or die at every moment in that book. So much uncertainty, so many traps, so much going on in general and it was all handled nearly perfectly by J.K. Rowling

Your kids are going to love it man. I was pursuing this one girl, and she was a huge Harry Potter fan (the movies) and we made a bet to read the books in 2 years. That’s how I started again. Unfortunately things didn’t go so well though. Gorgeous, smart, and liked Harry Potter, but ultimately she disrespected me hardcore and had to cut her off hard. Will say though, I’m glad she reignited my and even ignited my excitement in this area though. I read the first three as a kid. But I did it because everybody was doing it and my sister wanted me to. This woman actually had me excited to go back from the first book and take it all the way. Even though I can’t stand her, and really wish I didn’t have to interact with her (work) something good came about all the bad. That’s enough rambling on my part though, have you already read them once before? Sorry about replying with a spoiler if you haven’t yet already dude

Cutty Flam

Banned
I thought the last book was pretty bad, and she botched the ending. The flash forward part at the very end was extra lame. The films are worse though, I think I stopped after the 3rd one.

I mean, they're good adventure books for children but eh.
Botched the ending....I will say that it could have been a lot better if she had maybe taken another year to write. I think it needed more time to unfold. The way I can definitely
tell it was rushed is by this alone:

At one point, I think it was when Harry was being carried by Hagrid, supposedly dead, and Voldemort called to the army of Hogwarts students, teachers, Order of the Phoenix to kneel before him sating they were outnumbered (by death eaters) but when the giants, the centaurs, and other reinforcements came, the death eaters were wiped out in what seemed like an instant...

At the very least, I think J.K. Rowling would have done better by displaying more duels in detail, give an account to every little duel and be more descriptive, essentially the battles that took place in waves at Hogwarts, could have had a lot more info that would have explained a lot about the heroes fighting style and their ability, their weaknesses, the death eaters could have been given more description and attention too. If I could complain about thing, I would say the ending could use more work. I don’t think it should be changed drastically, but there should have been more to it

Reactions: eot

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I read two of them, I really didn't like them. I found the movies to be much better, but never managed to see them all.

Top Bottom