• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally Tried The Forspoken Demo

Roxkis_ii

I played the demo. The game looks fine and I get what square was doing with arm band being the classy upper class personality and the MC being more "urban" and rough around the edges.

It's something about the feel of the game I don't like. Its has the same feel as FF15 and it brothers me.

I'm not sure how to explain it, but it a big turn off, when I want to like the game.
If it was as smooth as Neir Automata, I wouldn't have a problem.

Edit: the NPC just look so bad in the face compared to HFW. I almost wish they wore mask.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of "gamers" that only operate on one brain cell and any further input activates their "Just say no" response.

Imagine taking the time to adjust their settings.

This pathetic whining is just as bad as people crying over the doll-like faces in Star Ocean or Xenoblade X. My eyes are rolling.
I would not go that far, but yeah it is pretty strange to read.

I go into the option menu before starting any game since forever basically, i though it was common sense.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I go into the option menu before starting any game since forever basically, i though it was common sense.
It's very necessary on any PC game...but since Forspoken is only a Console demo I imagine a lot of Console players do not even "think" about entering an options menu.

Common sense on the other hand remains an elusive superpower possessed by the few.

I assumed the same before searching 5 min ago:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I literally never heard this term in any fantasy open with magic.

It must be like ancient english or some shit.
Read old English literature.

And yeah, there’s an option to minimize the chatter.
Don’t you guys go into the options menu of a new/demo game and see what can be messed with before starting the game?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think it's more about the fact that it requires a solution in the first place because the voice acting/writing is awful and annoying, and even the devs themselves show lack of faith in their own creation by letting you turn that shit off.
How’s the writing and characterization outside the banter? After hearing the gameplay (and that fucking cringe trailer) it made me very skeptical that anything about the writing can be good.

Like if they released a trailer for the new Superman movie and it had a scene where Superman shits in his red underpants and everybody makes fun of it. Then they say “ok fine we hear you, we’ll release 2 versions of the movie, one with the pants shitting scene and one without”

… ok thanks, at least I have the option, but all I’m thinking about now is “what other awful things will they do in this movie”

saintjules

I think what I might find complicated are to remember the input commands to pull off spells. Maybe I need more time with it as I only played the demo once.

Last edited:

Luipadre

First i hated the demo and deleted it after like 15 min but i gave it a second chance, learned the mechanics that are unexplained and actually had fun. I will play it, but not for 80 euros thats for sure. I also hope the gfx and performance will be better in the final release aswell as the input lag

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't think making the characters stfu through some option is the best solution. They could have had actual good writting, instead of giving the player a choice between shit writting vs no writting.

I can guess they looked at Nier and though having their own Weiss would be cool, but as it turns out they lacked the talent to achieve that.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You can already minimize chatter...
ImmaterialHeavenlyAchillestang-max-1mb.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The chatter doesn’t bother me. The frame rate and a battle system that feels like you are trying to wave your hands underwater does.

Drizzlehell

Banned
How’s the writing and characterization outside the banter? After hearing the gameplay (and that fucking cringe trailer) it made me very skeptical that anything about the writing can be good.

Like if they released a trailer for the new Superman movie and it had a scene where Superman shits in his red underpants and everybody makes fun of it. Then they say “ok fine we hear you, we’ll release 2 versions of the movie, one with the pants shitting scene and one without”

… ok thanks, at least I have the option, but all I’m thinking about now is “what other awful things will they do in this movie”
Well, the premise is basically nicked from one of those lame comedy movies where a contemporary teenager gets transported to a medieval fantasy land and has predictably cringeworthy interactions with the locals and stuffy high brow nobles who simply don't understand the cool ways of a street smart radical kid who in this case isn't even relatable because she's insufferable and snarks all the time.

Oh, and she swears. Like, a lot. Which is such a bizarre creative choice that strongly clashes with the supposed kid-friendly premise of the game. It's like they wanted to make their own version of a fantasy movie based on a young adult novel but attempted to make it edgy by inserting a bunch of "fucks" and "shits" in there for no reason.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Thought the spells were awesome, but the open world was super bland.

Characters were way too talkative, but I did turn it down in settings. The various cloaks changing some abilities/perks is cool.

Overall, not a game I'd get at launch (especially with how many other titles are coming out soon), but something I wouldn't mind playing when cheap.

nkarafo

To whoever suggest we should disable the voice acting, who you are kidding?

It's supposed to be a part of the game. A thing the designer want you to experience. If you are the kind of person who cares about the story you are going to miss half of what the game offers if you disable it. This isn't like disabling motion blur.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
To whoever suggest we should disable the voice acting, who you are kidding?

It's supposed to be a part of the game. A thing the designer want you to experience. If you are the kind of person who cares about the story you are going to miss half of what the game offers if you disable it. This isn't like disabling motion blur.
Voice acting is fine, but I think the chatter between Frey and her wristband was a bit too much and basically ... non-stop. They could take that down a notch or two. In addition, the needless cussing was also annoying.

nkarafo

Voice acting is fine, but I think the chatter between Frey and her wristband was a bit too much and basically ... non-stop. They could take that down a notch or two. In addition, the needless cussing was also annoying.

I agree. It's annoying and cringe. The protag is also very unlikable.

Fbh

Didn't like the demo.
The combat just feel awkward to me, movement feels floaty and neither the melee nor ranged options give a nice feedback, you go hit regular enemies with your flaming sword and it feels like you are hitting them with a stick.
The visuals are pretty meh too and at least in the demo the open world design is Ubisoft 101.

Spyxos

People crying for something that can be solved just by going into the options menu never fail to make me laugh.

Gamers: we don't want hand holding
Also gamers: going into option is too hard, i'm too lazy and every option should be perfectly tailored to my taste from the get go.

jesus-fucking-christ-wentworth.gif
To be fair. We here in forums know about this option, but you typical gamer out there would not even know about that option, atleast i would not.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I agree. It's annoying and cringe. The protag is also very unlikable.
Yeah, that "edgy New Yorker cool girl" vibe isn't as likeable as some people think it is.

However, I hope there is a character arc and progression throughout the game, and maybe some event shape her character in her journey and humble her a little bit? Because that'd be cool.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Well, the premise is basically nicked from one of those lame comedy movies where a contemporary teenager gets transported to a medieval fantasy land and has predictably cringeworthy interactions with the locals and stuffy high brow nobles who simply don't understand the cool ways of a street smart radical kid who in this case isn't even relatable because she's insufferable and snarks all the time.

Oh, and she swears. Like, a lot. Which is such a bizarre creative choice that strongly clashes with the supposed kid-friendly premise of the game. It's like they wanted to make their own version of a fantasy movie based on a young adult novel but attempted to make it edgy by inserting a bunch of "fucks" and "shits" in there for no reason.
That sounds kinda awful. Like the only way it could be good is if they made it into a full blown comedy like Bill & Ted.

Oh well guess I’ll give the demo a shot and see for myself.

GymWolf

To be fair. We here in forums know about this option, but you typical gamer out there would not even know about that option, atleast i would not.
The typical gamer should always check the options before starting a game.

So many option are left to default in the wrong way, like for example i forgot the last game with a minimap that had "rotate minimap" turned on by default, or the camera being all the way zoomed in etc.

I don't wanna sound cringe or nothing, but checking options before starting a game is like good gaming etiquette since forever.

You don't need to visit a forum to know about a particular option, i just go in the damn option menu by default, i always did that even when i played on 8 bit consoles...

I have not a single bit of empathy for people who shits on games before even checking out the options, sorry not sorry.

Last edited:

Spyxos

The typical gamer should always check the options before starting a game.

So many option are left to default in the wrong way, like for example i forgot the last game with a minimap that had "rotate minimap" turned on by default, or the camera being all the way zoomed in etc.

I don't wanna sound cringe or nothing, but checking options before starting a game is like good gaming etiquette since forever.

You don't need to visit a forum to know about a particular option, i just go in the damn option menu by default, i always did that even when i played on 8 bit consoles...

I have not a single bit of empathy for people who shits on games before even checking out the options, sorry not sorry.
I only check options if subtitles are not on. Other than that, I never do.

Humdinger

I did not enjoy the demo. Combat felt flat and awkward. Environments were mostly barren. No interest in the main character and her magic sneakers. It just didn't do anything for me.

p.s. re. the option issue, the thing that bothers me is that the developers chose this setting as the default. That is poor judgment.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I did not enjoy the demo. Combat felt flat and awkward. Environments were mostly barren.

Yeah same, finally checked it out this past weekend. It didn't help that the game defaults to "quality" mode which runs like absolute shit. Even bumping up to performance, which makes the game playable - combat just didn't feel satisfying, and the gameworld is bland as fuck.

Neolombax

Oh yeah, the first time I heard the protagonist calling the cuff (?) "Fucking clingy" felt it came out of nowhere.

Tried the demo again tonight specifically due to this thread, and turns out if you switched on 120hz with quality mode, it makes the game look and feel pretty good. Still not a buy at full price though.

I heard you'll like it when the gameplay clicks with you. So I tried and tried, and it just felt like I was trying to make myself like the game. The gameplay never really clicked with me. Even now I think about trying it more and hope it has a time trial so I can start from the beginning of the game. But yea, it's probably just something I shouldn't bother with.

Bigfroth

Combat wasn't doing it for me. Traversal was fun though devs should think about putting floating rings everywhere to run and jump through:pie_thinking:.

Esca

I enjoyed the demo a lot. If I had the money I'd preorder but I'm short. I'll just have to wait for a sale

Top Bottom