• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Engage Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
hero

Game Information

Game Title
: Fire Emblem Engage

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Jan 20, 2023)
Trailer:

Developer: Nintendo

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 82 average - 70% recommended - 11 reviews

JddGjvF.png

Critic Reviews

Checkpoint Gaming - Edie W-K - 6.5 / 10
Fire Emblem Engage is an okay addition to the Fire Emblem series, with fun and varied maps and enough changes to the tactical mechanics to make it probably worth playing for any FE fan, though not all of its changes are winners. Its spectacular graphics are something to behold; it's just a shame that it is accompanied by a story that falls completely flat and emblem heroes that are shadows of their former selves. It's just sadly underwhelming in the face of what its predecessor, Three Houses, achieved better.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended
Fire Emblem Engage brings back the classic strategic role-playing game, giving you a superb adventure that is full of excellent and exciting characters with gameplay to match.

Eurogamer - Henry Stockdale - Recommended
Nintendo's long-running fantasy series looks to its rich history for this smart, satisfying turn-based strategy game.

IGN - Brendan Graeber - 9 / 10
Fire Emblem Engage proves itself worthy enough to be counted alongside the legacy it honors so well.

Inverse - 6 / 10
Fire Emblem’s tradition of focusing on character relationships hit a peak in Three Houses, and we all kind of assumed that would continue into Engage. Sadly, that’s not the case. Fire Emblem Engage scales its social interactions down to a bare minimum, leaving a cast of underdeveloped characters in its wake. At the same time, it features some of Fire Emblem’s best tactical combat, making the game feel as sharply divided as its protagonist’s over-discussed red-and-blue hair.

Metro GameCentral - David Jenkins - 8 / 10
A more traditional Fire Emblem experience than Three Houses, but one that's filled with fun new features and emphasises deep and varied gameplay over dating mini-games.

Polygon - Mike Mahardy - Unscored
It can’t quite reach the crescendos that Three Houses did, and it certainly doesn’t achieve the longevity of Awakening. But it is consistently great. And it’s confident enough to let me take the reins.

Shacknews - Josh Broadwell - 9 / 10
Fire Emblem Engage's story might be shaky, but the tactics game excels in every other way.

Siliconera - Jenni Lada - 10 / 10
After getting a bit experimental with Three Houses, Intelligent Systems returns to more traditional, stellar gameplay with Fire Emblem Engage.

Twinfinite - Zhiqing Wan - 3.5 / 5
Quote not yet available

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 9 / 10
If you're new to the mainline Fire Emblem games albeit an enthusiast of SRPGs in general like I am then Engage will surely wow you with its tight old-school gameplay, incredible presentation, and fantastic cast of characters. Heck, it might even turn you into a dedicated fan.

WellPlayed - Ralph Panebianco - 7 / 10
Fire Emblem Engage is enjoyable but leaves little impression. If the narrative was more compelling, if the character relationships were deeper and more interesting or if combat was more varied, there's every chance that Engage would have felt more robust and impactful. In the absence of those things, Engage just feels…fine.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was kind of on the fence with this one after I didn't care much for Three Houses. With a lot of the reviews saying this is a return to form, I'm definitely going to pick this up.

So reviews say flat story, flat characters, and flat interactions, the three aspects I like the most about Fire Emblem. Bit disappointed, will likely wait until there's nothing else I want to buy.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Wow a lot of the lower scores only complain about the game not being like Three houses school system.
What a joke.
Game looks fantastic and from someone who wasn't as into Three houses as past entries, I am super excited for this new entry.
I think it just shows that everyone likes different things and that you should always form your own opinions on games :)

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The Engage system is more interesting to me mechanically / battle wise, since it allows much more experimentation with job customization pairing than the previous marriage system or friendship bonding that takes the whole game. Now you can swap them out whenever and get new abilities. I don't really care at all about cameos or whatever. Just hoping the battles are more fun with this new freedom.

Some franchises don't need great review scores for me to buy them, like this series, Final Fantasy games, Dragon Quest, Mario, Zelda etc.

• Strength
Reactions: Isa

Regginator

On first sight disappointing reviews, but honestly the lack of the whole cringey "social aspect" and the focus on actual gameplay mechanics make me really want to get this. When I played Three Houses it felt more like I was playing some kind of visual anime novel with some combat sprinkled in between. Couldn't even bother with it for more than four hours.

Chukhopops

Suffice it to say, Engage is not pulling from the relationship-simulation school of RPGs, with its complex interpersonal story arcs and calendar-focused loop. It’s as laser-focused of a tactics game as I’ve played in years, one in which characterization and drama emerge chiefly from the turn-based battles themselves.
Woah I hope that’s true, might make it one of the best FE in years. To hell with all that Persona nonsense.

Whilst it seems like the story will be mediocre at best, i'm glad this is backtracking from 3H in many ways(hated garreg mach) and more of a standard FE title similar to Awakening. The combat could be the best in the series to date and the graphics are very beautiful.

Last edited:

Camreezie

First big game of the year, day one for me. Looking to give this one a good go as ive only ever played Warriors hopefully this is a good introduction to the more old school approach of the series

Shut0wen

Out of all of these reviews i hate to say ign was the only decent read, even though i havnt played the game i dont think any FE game deserves a 9 other then echos, everyone else moaned that the game didnt have any of the worst parts of three houses, im glad the game has went back to basics and greatly improved healer classes, also alot of people forget this game was pretty much half way in development for 3ds and went gold almost a year ago, probs about 2 years away from a proper successor to three houses at this point

Shut0wen

On first sight disappointing reviews, but honestly the lack of the whole cringey "social aspect" and the focus on actual gameplay mechanics make me really want to get this. When I played Three Houses it felt more like I was playing some kind of visual anime novel with some combat sprinkled in between. Couldn't even bother with it for more than four hours.
Yeah i was the same i actually think its one of the worst FEs, i hope this time they take more inspiration from triangle strategy then create another three houses game

Sleepwalker

Social stuff stripped down to a bare minimum? Return to classic fire emblem?

Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

I dont like the art style but fuck it im in

OuterLimits

Good review scores overall. I realize some are disappointed the social aspect in 3H is largely missing but in some aspects that makes it more appealing for me.

I would be totally fine if Fire Emblem somewhat alternates between a 3H approach and a more traditional largely strategy type focus.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
FE has never had a good story. This seems good for faster pick up and play sessions. Similar to the handheld ones.

They need to focus on improving the battles instead. The increased job flexibility in the Engage system sounds great. But I'd like to see them start adding greater variation in terrain, height, obstacles, etc.

This just looks like a comfy SRPG that doesn't try to push much forward, which is ultimately still enjoyable but no going to push any boundaries.

Gobjuduck

Banned
As a fire emblem fan, the shift from the amazing artstyle of awakening, fates, and echoes to this is disappointing.

This games art doesn’t belong with fire emblem, it looks like a low budget Bandai Namco or even NIS game.

Still playing it, but damn it’s ugly

• Empathy
Reactions: Isa

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm thinking I'll probably give this one a try. I like the fact that they removed all the school / social stuff and now fighting & story is the main interest. Plus I like the new more anime art style as well. Seems like I'd enjoy this one more than Three Houses.

edit: eh, I was going to buy but I'm just not feeling it at the moment. Maybe during black friday.

Last edited:

Sojiro

While I didn't have too much of a problem with Three House's time management and relationship systems, I do not want that to be in every FE game from here out, so I am happy this doesn't have a lot of that and plan on picking it up. I still don't quite like the artstyle though, but hoping the core tactic gameplay is great.

Jinzo Prime

While I didn't have too much of a problem with Three House's time management and relationship systems, I do not want that to be in every FE game from here out, so I am happy this doesn't have a lot of that and plan on picking it up. I still don't quite like the artstyle though, but hoping the core tactic gameplay is great.
I agree, there is room for "tactical" Fire Emblem and "social/RPG" Fire Emblem. Not every game has to focus on both.

KiteGr

Why do they feel the need to remove all sexual and/or romantic inuendos from Japanese games?
With how Woke the western colture has become, for some this is the very reason for playing them.
U4uVMe6.jpg

RYNV4rt.jpg

tBSBeor.jpg

ci3eCFp.jpg

CNxhIr0.jpg

TY841Hn.jpg
BTW I don't have a switch so most likelly I wont be playing this one in particullar regardless. I just stumbled upon this comparison shots.

Top Bottom