• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warrior: Three Hopes |OT| Fódlan Inferno

Komatsu

Pg5wSKo.jpg

OT Better Appreciated to the Sound Of:

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes is an upcoming hack and slash action role-playing game developed by Omega Force and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo Switch. It is the second collaboration between Koei Tecmo's Warriors franchise and Nintendo's Fire Emblem series, following Fire Emblem Warriors (2017) and features an alternate story set in the world of Fire Emblem: Three Houses (2019). The game was announced in a Nintendo Direct on February 9, 2022, and is planned for a worldwide release on June 24, 2022.​

AFwZUdo.png

GAMEPLAY
Unlike the main series, one of the most well-known SRPG franchises, Fire Emblem Warrior: Three Hopes is Musou game, following the gameplay established by Koei Tecmo's Dynasty Warriors franchise. The gameplay follows a simple format: allow the player to choose a character, then plop them onto a large battlefield facing waves of enemies. The player then uses button combos and special techniques to decimate armies of Mooks in the most stylish ways possible as they complete mission objectives to turn the tide of the battle in their favor. There's also the occasional titular Musou attacks, which the player can perform after having killed enough enemies or collected enough restorative items. The Musou attack is an automated and cinematic attack sequence, that effectively function as screen-nukers. All of the games have some form or variant of the Musou attack present, though different games may call it a different term. [explanation taken from TV Tropes]

STORY
The game will take place on the continent of Fódlan and will feature a new story set in an alternative timeline to that of Fire Emblem: Three Houses. In the tradition of Three Houses, the game will have at least three unique storylines: Scarlet Blaze, Azure Gleam, and Golden Wildfire, each following one of the three house leaders. It diverges from the storyline of its predecessor game in that Byleth, the playable character of Fire Emblem: Three Houses, serves as an antagonist. Three Hopes introduces several new characters to fight alongside the cast of Three Houses, including Shez, a mercenary Byleth previously encountered, and Arval, a mysterious white-robed being who opposes Sothis in the game's cover art.

UXNfPOb.png

Last edited:

Andyliini

I have been playing the demo, and it seems quite complex for a Warriors game, especially compared to Hyrule Warriors. Much of Fire Emblem's systems have been imported here with interesting takes on them, so I'm keen on following it. Still have not reached the end of the demo, and I have been playing for over 4 hours already.

Reactions: Isa

Astral Dog

I played the demo and it actually feels like a nice improvment over the first Fire Emblem Warriors(it does enough unique things to stand out a little compared to other warriors) not sure if i will bite but at least its on my radar, like that Persona 5 sequel

Reactions: Isa

Mr.ODST

Out of curiosity, is there any strategy in these types of games or it's just chaotic real time battles?
There is some with the "map" system where you can order your characters to attack certain bases etc, in fact you need to do this to obtain S ranks which is ridiculously hard to achieve.

Sakura

Story is a little shit so far. At least before the main story gets started. Though story was never FE's strong point.

Out of curiosity, is there any strategy in these types of games or it's just chaotic real time battles?
Maybe on harder difficulties. On normal at least, it is kind of a cake walk. You can just run around by yourself and kill everything and get S rank easy. No real strategy.
One thing different from other Musou games I've played is that your other units on the battlefield are actually pretty strong and will take bases and kill enemy units all on their own. On normal you could probably sit back and just let the AI win.

If you are playing on harder difficulties though, there is probably more strategy involved. There are systems from FE present like how a sword unit is strong against axe but weak against spear, so you would want to give your allies appropriate orders to attack the right units and such. If you are playing on classic mode as well, there is permadeath (I'm not sure if it removes them from the story) so you would have to plan around that too. I think most of the strategy would be pre-battle though, as in game will be pretty chaotic.

Yamisan

There is some with the "map" system where you can order your characters to attack certain bases etc, in fact you need to do this to obtain S ranks which is ridiculously hard to achieve.
I'm 10 hours in and haven't had this issue yet, I'm S ranking almost every battle and completely ignoring the order system.

Komatsu

Are you referring to Edolph Hitgard, or someone else like the green hair player character?

Shez, of course.

Story is a little shit so far. At least before the main story gets started. Though story was never FE's strong point.

That's not true. Genealogy of the Holy War, Sacred Stones, Awakening, Shadows of Valentia, even Three Houses, all games with great plot as far SRPGs go. None reached the heights of a Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre but that's OK.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
So, just finished the demo and I like how much stuff from the main games they have managed to fit in here. It was a little overwhelming with how much they threw at you at once, but it really makes this a part of Fire Emblem.

I got the Collector's Edition in last friday so looking forward to starting that tomorrow!

Chukhopops

There's a demo? I will now play your game
There is and it’s even fairly long, covering the first couple battles. You can also transfer progress from the demo and it introduces most of the camp upgrade mechanics.

After 15 hours I really love this game, it’s a perfect mix of modern FE and Musou gameplay. It runs better than AoC overall, the strategy layer adds a bit of depth to the main battles and the class system allows a lot of flexibility.

The only thing to consider is you won’t understand anything about the story if you haven’t finished 3H, and preferably more than one route. The game just assumes you know who everyone is and how the different houses, characters and regions interact with each other.

Kimahri

Banned
This game is reeaally hard to get into. so much talking, constant interruptions on those rare occasions I get to actually play with unnecessary tutorial screens for the most basic shit.

Such a terrible piss poor way to start a game. My god. I've been playing for maybe 3 hours but feels like 30 and I've had to stretch it out over days because it is so fucking boring.

Gaaah. I don't want endless story in my warriors games. Keep that shit elsewhete. I want to play god damnit. Ffs.

I'm almost done with japanese games at this point. Can't remember the last time I played one that wasn't drowned in too much boring filler story that served no purpose.

Hoppa

I’m a big fan of Musou/Warriors games and I liked FE3H so gladly picked this up. Hate the design of the main character, wish they just let you create your own Shez. Beside that, only just started but excited seeing the RPGish elements and unique abilities/attributes of the characters. Look forward to getting into it properly

Kimahri

Banned
Is there any way to see whoch missions you've done all side quests on? Can't unlock some stuff before I do them, but there'll be a snowball fight in hell before I bother replaying all missions just to fumble around fot side quests.

What a terrible way to do things. At least give me an overview, an idea, an inkling.

Andyliini

I have finally gotten this ball rolling, and am enjoying the game. It took me some time to get through the games mechanics and tutorials, but it finally clicked few chapters ago.

What I like the most is that how this feels like a Fire Emblem game. Sure, the stiff character animations point out that there was no big budget behind it, but the gameplay and characters are great. I chose Golden Deer as my house, and the story really went to places I did not expect it to. I'm in chapter 9 now and about 25 hours in. Have been doing as much side quests as possible.

Komatsu

What I like the most is that how this feels like a Fire Emblem game. Sure, the stiff character animations point out that there was no big budget behind it, but the gameplay and characters are great. I chose Golden Deer as my house, and the story really went to places I did not expect it to. I'm in chapter 9 now and about 25 hours in. Have been doing as much side quests as possible.

The game really doesn't feel like a spin-off at all, though unfortunately I believe we will need a story DLC to tie up all the thread - I won't go any further as it'd be deep into spoiler territory.

Top Bottom