• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
FVx1eJ5WAAA_szT

Game Title: Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Jun 24, 2022)
Trailers:

Developer: KOEI TECMO GAMES

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 81 average - 88% recommended - 17 reviews

Metacritic - 85/100 - 20 reviews

Critic Reviews
Cerealkillerz - Manuel Barthes - German - 8.4 / 10
If you talked about Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes as the new star in the hack and slay genre, you wouldn't be that far off. The game depth that people have been waiting for a long time is possible this time through new strategic options. On top of that you get a great alternative story with known faces of the series. Gameplay-wise you lose a lot of that mentioned game depth because of the immense amount of missions and also through the lack of real graphical improvements over older games.

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 8.5 / 10
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes shines bright in the long lineage of games in the Musou formula. Miles better than its predecessor, this is one of the smoothest Warriors-style games yet. Barring a rare example, its mission and gameplay loop holds up. The narrative does the best it can in a genre not particularly known for stellar stories, but will still remain a little oddly paced from time to time. Provided is a joyous occasion to revisit some treasured familiar faces and engage in riotous combat and a smooth experience not too barred down by menus. If the series continues on this trajectory, it’s all smooth sailing ahead. For Fódlan!

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes is an excellent 'what-if' scenario of Fire Emblem: Three Houses thanks to the Musou-style gameplay, newcomer Shez, and tighter mechanics all around.

Dexerto - 7.5 / 10
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes is Omega Force's finest musou yet, with a fun tactical layer added to the sword-swinging gameplay that keeps fans coming back.
Three Houses fans will love the chance to spend more time with that game's characters, too.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 4 / 5
As long as you're OK with the usual Musou repetition, Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes is a worthy follow-up to Three Houses.

Enternity.gr - Pavlos Papapavlou - Greek - 8 / 10
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes is the most satisfying hack and slash version of Fire Emblem: Three Houses we could have today.

Eurogamer - Henry Stockdale - Recommended
I'll likely be playing Three Hopes for a long time to come - I've already begun my Black Eagles New Game+ run - and when I previously said this isn't just Dynasty Warriors with a Fire Emblem skin, I meant it. Three Hopes is genuinely impressive. It walks a fine line between freshness for existing fans and approachability for new players, and personally it's had me invested from the start. I'd love to see where Nintendo's musou spinoff concept goes next.

Game Informer - Wesley LeBlanc - 8 / 10
Three Hopes runs a few chapters too long, and some late-game twists don’t carry the impact they should as a result, but my 36 hours were a great time. Three Hopes successfully and expertly integrates everything great about Three Houses into its musou format, both in narrative and in gameplay; it’s been one of my favorite Switch experiences in recent memory as a result. If you like Three Houses, you should play Three Hopes, and I’d recommend it to you even if you aren’t familiar with the musou genre. And if you haven’t played Three Houses, there’s a good chance that’ll be your next game after rolling credits on this one.

IGN - Alex Santa Maria - 8 / 10
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes has a lot going on both in combat and camp, and the result is a game that sometimes feels overstuffed but never fails to satisfy.

Inverse - Hayes Madsen - 9 / 10
As someone that thoroughly enjoyed my 200 hours with Fire Emblem: Three Houses, I never expected Three Hopes to meet, let alone surpass that experience — but it does. Three Hopes’ systems all coalesce into something truly special, and the war-driven story allows the world and characters to shine their brightest. Though it could do with less padding, Three Hopes represents Koei Tecmo firing on all cylinders, and it’s easily another title to add to the growing list of essential Switch games.

Polygon - Todd Harper - Unscored
However, I cannot help but think back to that giddy anticipation as I drove home with my copy of Dynasty Warriors 3 back in 2001. Asking myself if Three Hopes inspires the same feelings in me, I’d have to say no. It truly is fine, and all the proper elements are in place, but in many ways it’s also very expected and not particularly innovative. It makes me wonder, not for the first time, how much longer “it’s fine” will be enough in the world of Musou titles.

Shacknews - TJ Denzer - 8 / 10
I really feel like anyone who has been through Three Houses would be doing themselves a disservice to skip Three Hopes. The story diverges enough to make each house a new adventure all its own and each of the paths has a vastly different array of battles to fight. Additionally, aspects of strategy, classes, skills, and camaraderie between characters have also made their way over and are implemented well here. I wish characters fought a bit more uniquely and that the game performed a bit better in docked mode, but outside of these complaints, Three Hopes feels like another solid example of what Omega Force can do when Nintendo entrusts its IP to the Musou dev.

Stevivor - Matt Gosper - 9 / 10
Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes feels like a great return to spending time with a gang of characters who drew me in over dozens of hours, but with an all-new tale keeping me on my toes at the same time.

TheSixthAxis - Dominic Leighton - 8 / 10
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes is another enjoyable slice of Musou action, even if it does little to advance either franchise. Fans of Fire Emblem will adore chatting to the huge cast of returning characters as much as going into battle with them.

Twinfinite - Zhiqing Wan - 4 / 5
Ultimately, Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes basically turned me into the Death Knight, who yearned for nothing but cold, heartless bloodshed as I hacked my way through a bunch of levels, ignoring every side objective that came up. Three Hopes serves up a fun story that will definitely please a lot of Three Houses fans, and despite a few character missteps here and there, it’s well worth experiencing. Just be careful not to fall to the dark side.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 8 / 10
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes blends the classic Musou formula with the strategic aspect of its namesake impressively well. Throw in a story that's more immersive than you'd expect and you're left with one great Warriors spin-off.

WellPlayed - Kieron Verbrugge - 8 / 10

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes succeeds admirably as both a spin-off stacked with fanservice that truly understands the source material and as a compelling take on the Warriors format. It's not going to win over any detractors of musou-style gameplay and it starts to buckle under the weight of repetition by the end, but if you're a fan of Three Houses and can handle that, you're in for a treat.

The games are decent, but I just can't play them nearly this frequently. I'm good after Hyrule Warriors still.

If you want to hack away at enemies though and have lots of content, they seem to be a decent value. Hyrule Warriors could be played for over 100 hours easily.

Jennings

I found the first game, Fire Emblem Warriors, to be such a bland letdown after Hyrule Warriors. The reviews for this one seem a lot better than the first so I might check it out

Gambit2483

The games are decent, but I just can't play them nearly this frequently. I'm good after Hyrule Warriors still.

If you want to hack away at enemies though and have lots of content, they seem to be a decent value. Hyrule Warriors could be played for over 100 hours easily.

Yeah, these games are usually content packed. I check my Age of Calamity playtime and it reads 92hrs played. I had no idea I had sunk that much time into it!

jaysius

Banned
Other MUSOU I can't wait to see Nintendo pawn off on a shitty dev are:

• Metroid
  • Starfox
  • Mario
  • Pikmin
  • F-Zero
  • Animal Crossing
  • Nintendogs
  • Brain Age

The worst thing about these MUSOU games is that they're barely adopted to fit the feel of the orignating source material, they're just copy and pasted into whatever non-branded MUSOU the dev was about to release with some poorly slapped together story bits thrown in.

Fbh

Sounds good.
Shame it's in the Three Houses world as I haven't played it and have no desire to.

I found the first game, Fire Emblem Warriors, to be such a bland letdown after Hyrule Warriors. The reviews for this one seem a lot better than the first so I might check it out

They have improved these a lot in recent years. I didn't really like Hyrule Warriors 1, it had some nice details but was ultimately still little more than a skin on the same old formula.

But the sequel was pretty good and felt like an improvement in every way. Better combat, better story, better and more varied mission design, etc. Felt more like a Zelda action game than simply a dynasty warriors skin.

The performance was terrible though.

Last edited:

Jennings

Sounds good.
Shame it's in the Three Houses world as I haven't played it and have no desire to.

They have improved these a lot in recent years. I didn't really like Hyrule Warriors 1, it had some nice details but was ultimately still little more than a skin on the same old formula.

But the sequel was pretty good and felt like an improvement in every way. Better combat, better story, better and more varied mission design, etc. Felt more like a Zelda action game than simply a dynasty warriors skin.

The performance was terrible though.
I loved Hyrule Warriors (I played on WiiU for 100+ hours and it was my first ever Musou game) but couldn't stand the sequel because of the performance issues. I hope the performance of this one isn't quite as bad as Age of Calamity.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I loved Hyrule Warriors (I played on WiiU for 100+ hours and it was my first ever Musou game) but couldn't stand the sequel because of the performance issues. I hope the performance of this one isn't quite as bad as Age of Calamity.
What about the first Fire Emblem Warriors?

Kataploom

Gold Member
Other MUSOU I can't wait to see Nintendo pawn off on a shitty dev are:

• Metroid
  • Starfox
  • Mario
  • Pikmin
  • F-Zero
  • Animal Crossing
  • Nintendogs
  • Brain Age

The worst thing about these MUSOU games is that they're barely adopted to fit the feel of the orignating source material, they're just copy and pasted into whatever non-branded MUSOU the dev was about to release with some poorly slapped together story bits thrown in.
A Pikmin Musou would probably be amazing lmao, and I don't even play Musous lol

EDIT: Nor pikmin 🤷

Last edited:

Jennings

What about the first Fire Emblem Warriors?
I found Fire Emblem Warriors to be a bland letdown after having played Hyrule Warriors and loving every minute of it. The reviews for this sequel seem better though so I'm tempted to give it a shot after I finish Three Houses.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I actually like Hyrule warriors age of calamity a lot, I had to play it on PC because it runs like shit on switch but as a game it's highly enjoyable. I will try this one too.

Ulysses 31

I found Fire Emblem Warriors to be a bland letdown after having played Hyrule Warriors and loving every minute of it. The reviews for this sequel seem better though so I'm tempted to give it a shot after I finish Three Houses.
Were you crazy enough to get Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition and complete that one also like me :messenger_winking_tongue:.

Jennings

Were you crazy enough to get Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition and complete that one also like me :messenger_winking_tongue:.
I didn't get that one. I have a firm rule about not double-dipping on Switch games I already bought and played on the WiiU... which is why I haven't replayed Breath of the Wild... i just need BotW2 to release!

Astral Dog

Judging by the demo, this game IS a nice improvment over the last FE Warriors(and some others), if you liked FE Three Houses or enjoy Warrior games this is a good purchase.

The animations are more polished, the RPG mechanics are expanded so it stands out a little, the story appears to be a twist of Three Houses.

It wasn't on my radar as i have very mixed opinion on Warrior games, but demo was enjoyable and a nice surprise

Edit: its now on 80 after 50 reviews, still higher average than Age of Calamity lol, lets see if it can keep up

Last edited:

Chukhopops

After a couple hours on the demo and a few more on the full game, this is really good. Performance in the full game is also quite a bit better than the demo (in handheld mode).

If you’ve enjoyed Age of Calamity this is a no-brainer imo.
That’s pretty much factually wrong, some Musou spinoffs like P5 Strikers play completely different from the standard Musou style.

Three Hopes also takes most of the mechanics from FE3H, from the way you build support between units, linking units on the battlefield, the class and proficiency system, weapon triangle, permadeath etc.

Top Bottom