• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First 10 minutes of Bloodborne PSX demake

skit_data

Impressive work, I really like the sound design. I wonder if the creator just kept the original sounds and just lowered the bitrate. Nice touch.

stranno

Why wouldn’t this run on an actual ps1 or spx?
Lot of people know how to work with Unreal Engine 4, but PlayStation was programmed in C. And you probably want MIPS Assembly as well for hot areas in terms of performance.

I don't see that render distance feasible on PSX as well. The Bloodborne of PlayStation was the Nightmare Creatures series and render distance was way closer. And of course you want to throw some loading screens here and there, PlayStation RAM bus and CD 2x cannot stream a game like that at that speed.

The demake also doesn't exhibit jittering. To get something like that you want to tessellate way beyond the PlayStation capabilities.

It's pretty much like Shovel Knight on NES, it looks like a NES game, but no, it surpasses every limitation of the console.

Last edited:

Gold Member
Missing chromatic aberration, no buy from me 😂

It’s actually really impressive and I love it, but that draw distance is waaaay too far for PS1. Needs more fog!

Last edited:

ljubomir

won’t be playable on an actual PS1 since it runs on Unreal Engine

🤮

I know modern tooling is much more approachable to new devs, but with all the fanfare in the video with PSX bios boot screen, scanlines and shimmering it really tries to sell you the idea its running on PSX. I want a real deal, not an intentionally crapified Unreal Engine game. At this point such projects almost seem revisionist to me.

Fools idol

Banned
220px-Nightmare_creaturescover.jpg

nkarafo

Ugh, these scanlines are ugly as hell. Just black lines and uneven spaces.

If they could not use a better CRT shader it would be better to not use one at all.

I like the look of it makes me feel nostalgic. Makes me think that people that bang on about pixel art only like it for nostalgic reasons as well🤔

God, I miss cheat codes in video games. I love getting trophies but that is definitely one of the downfalls of the trophy/achievement system. Though I don't know why devs don't do what GTA and Saints Row do and just disable trophies when you activate a cheat. And really there's no reason to deactivate cheats if you have something that only physically changes something about the game, like big head mode.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Fake "de-makes" annoy me.

Do the thing on the real or emulated hardware or don't bother. Its really disrespectful to everyone who actually had to work on the original system and deal with its many limitations when some asshole rocks up with basically a filter on top of a modern engine and goes this is what x game looks like on that hardware.

You want to replicate the PSX experience, turn off the z-buffer and sort with a painter algorithm, turn off perspective correction on your textures and try and figure out what it takes to prevent everything from turning into a warped mess at various angles and distances, and try and make it run good on a Mips R3000 at 33mhz.

Top Bottom