• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First game you remember playing.

The first game I can remember playing is Bible Adventures: Noah's Arc... Yeah, I wasn't allowed to play much initially and this game sucked.

yMmFSSn.jpg

The first game I actually remember beating was the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers game on Sega Genesis. That game was so much better and I still remember my older brother and I beating that last level on the moon.

rc3ypKR.png

Ugh. There are so many good entries in this thread. My own story seems a bit more complicated. I owned a Tandy 100 tapedeck (TRS-80) in the early to mid-80's. My parents wanted me to learn small amounts of BASIC programming at about the age of 4--which I did. I also had a couple of games for the system (that I didn't have to completely write in by hand). One was called Downland.

downland_intro.gif
downland0.gif
downland1.gif

I don't remember ever really having fun playing this, but I played it quite a few times because I wanted to have fun. It was a very unforgiving game. Like, you would climb the rope only to fail to jump from the rope to the ledge because the button input failed or something, and so you would fall to your death. And there was dripping acid from the ceilings along with falling boulders. There was a lot of dying to be done here. And the worst part is that each of those keys would reveal a door, and sometimes that door would be revealed on a completely different screen meaning you would have to backtrack through all the clumsy obstacles you just barely completed to go find a door.

I consider this a much more interesting first game than listing the first game I probably actually ever had fun with. Super Mario Bros. would be an easy pick, but if I'm being completely honest it was actually Super Mario Bros. 3 that really firmly hooked me to gaming. I got so far into that game when a friend let me borrow it for a week. It was the first game I ever felt like I was progressing through on my own.
That's the thread guys :p pack it up

Great story cheers

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I think it was an NES game, Adventures of Dino Riki. I was tiny, like 3ish maybe, and my sister got an NES with that, the Mario/Duck Hunt pack, Donkey Kong Classics and TMNT.

Moogle11

Banned
Something on Atari 5200. Not sure which was first as I was pretty young, but remember having Pac-man, Frogger, a Popeye game and a Star Trek game. The button on the joysticks kept breaking so we mostly could only play stick only games like Frogger.

So I really didn’t truly get into game until a few years later when we got an NES with SMB and a Duck Hunt.

brian0057

Banned
This was honestly a fun game to play. I remember flying around as Bartman and the Great Wall of China. I definitely didn't progress very far into this one, though.
Same here.
I remember this game being a pain in the ass. Always kept drowning when I turned into Bartman on the boat.

LegendaryYeet

Neo Member
It was good ol Kingdom hearts 1. Yep, I'm a zoomer. My Dad's cousin introduced me to videogames and she loves KH. I chose proud mode cause I thought it meant it would help me play like an expert... then i found out it was FOR experts.

Now the first videogame I ever SAW was Luigis Mansion. My older cousin never let me play it. 😒

When I was a kid we had an Intellivision and my memories of early game were of Astrosmash (probably no one here even knows the game) you shoot meteors from below and the separate in to chunks smaller in size it was a lot of fun back in the early 80s (some notable mentions from that console that I remeber were shark shark and night stalker)...

At the same time I had an apple iic computer. My earliest memories of that were Micky's space adventure, lode runner, and Choplifter.

Now fast forwar a few years and my greatest memories come from playing the NES, games like smb, Zelda 1, dragon warrior and final fantasy.

At the same time the apple iic got replaced by IBM 8080 which had 4 color display until we upped it to ega 16 color adapter. Played the early Ultimas and phantasie rpgs. Also early seirra games.

Got a 386 by 1990 and that changed every thing. Gold box Ad&d, Ultima 7, Ultima underworld, wing commander 2, CD rom and Soundblaster card and svga 1mb gfx card. The kings quest, and other seirra games, wolf 3d, might and magic 3, 4 and 5, Sim city, civilization, Sim earth with its 800pg instruction binder, populous, xwing, . So many awesome memories.

Consoles were OK, loved my tg16, got a genesis but really they didn't pull me anymore seemed to simplistic compared to the amazing games on pc. That didn't change until ps1 made console gaming for adults. To this day I play both but different style games on pc and console.

kingbean

First time I saw a game running was on a black and white tv, it was the first Zelda game.

He didn't let me play though.

The first game I ever played with Duck Hunt on my dad's friend's nes.

spawn

I vaguely remember playing a Superman game on the SNES. It might have been this game. I also had Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, and Street Fighter

Death+and+Return+of+Superman,+The+(Europe)-image.jpg

Last edited:

Woffls

Subterranean Stryker on my Dad's Amstrad CPC 6128. This will have been in the early 90s when I was about 5, I guess?

Subterranean%20Stryker%20%28E%29_3.png

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I'm sure it was something on the Atari 2600 before age 5. At age 5, I got my NES and my first games were Mario and Duck Hunt because they came with the system. My first game purchase was Amagon.
cover-1.jpg

Guilty_AI

I see there's a lot of older gamers here.
I myself don't know which game was exactly, it could've been Sonic or Mario since my cousin owned a Sega Saturn and a SNES, i also remember playing some games like a Pitfall clone and Dangerous Dave. However, the one i have the strongest memories of as a kid was Test Drive 5 on PC.

TurkPride

Neo Member
A platformer game that I was playing on a ps1.I dont remember the name tho it was a long time ago back in 2001.Its been nearly 19 years and I still couldnt find the name of that game.

tiinvaders.png

Space Invaders on a Texas Instruments something or other and various games on a Magnavox Odyssey II (Pac-Man clone, Invaders clone etc.).
magnavox_odyssey2.jpg

I probably was 3 to 6 years old during this.

Later it was Spacewar and Digger on a single digit mhz PC with a whopping 20 mb ! harddrive.
131910-SpaceWar.jpg

2412-digger-pc-booter-screenshot-level-2.gif

These were all fairly simple.

nintendo-entertainment-system-turtles-bundle-nes-front-1553608896-19.JPG

Sometime during the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles craze (late 80's early 90's) I got a TMNT NES bundle. That game was frustrating as hell, but I still loved it due to my fandom.

e4157748-5eb7-11e3-88aa-565c9e5313af.jpg

Then T2 Terminator 2 which again was a frustrating/bad game but I loved it because it was the effing Terminator! Similar situation with RoboCop.
robocop.jpg

The really good games I remember enjoying on a more deeper level were Powerblade and MegaMan.
220px-Power_Blade_Boxart.jpg
250px-M1boxf.jpg

Somewhere mixed in all this are also Pirates! and The Last Ninja on C64
pirates_14.gif
The_Last_Ninja_Titel.png

Your old pc had a hard driveand 1mhz? Mine was a bit faster 8088 @8mhz, color cga 64k vram and 640k main ram,but no hard drive. It had 2 5 1/4" floppy drives and you had a boot disk that you would take out once you had dos 2.11 running. Before that my Apple ii didn't have a HD either. Back then if I recall they were very expensive. I didn't have one until my 386sx @16mhz.

Oh what country is that mega man box from? "High definition graphics, state of the art".. Lol I don't remeber the US cover with that. At least your box wasn't some weird looking Jr high school drawing of a goofy man

93xfan

Banned
Super Mario Bros. We got an NES on Christmas and I had absolutely no idea what it, or a videogame was.

fezgoeshard

Neo Member
Must have been either Madden or NHL on the Genesis with my dad...... ? Or perhaps Sonic with my cousin on his Genesis.

Wow time sure does fly.

EDIT: Wait, could have also been Mario on NES with my other cousin. Jeez I don't even remember exactly.

Last edited:

Cock of War

Your old pc had a hard driveand 1mhz? Mine was a bit faster 8088 @8mhz, color cga 64k vram and 640k main ram,but no hard drive. It had 2 5 1/4" floppy drives and you had a boot disk that you would take out once you had dos 2.11 running. Before that my Apple ii didn't have a HD either. Back then if I recall they were very expensive. I didn't have one until my 386sx @16mhz.

Oh what country is that mega man box from? "High definition graphics, state of the art".. Lol I don't remeber the US cover with that. At least your box wasn't some weird looking Jr high school drawing of a goofy man

Heh. No it wasnt my pc. I was like 6 or 7 when my older brother got it. I dont remember if it was 1 mhz but single single digit Im pretty sure, so between 1 and 10 mhz. Yes it was very expensive, in the ballpark of 30.000 DKR (about $4300) in 1986 mind you. Black & white screen.
Thats the Mega Man cover we got here in the Faroe Islands. I suspect it was the cover for PAL regions or at least the Nordic countries.

I played a ton of Combat on the 2600 at a neighbor's house. Dad bought home an Intellivision in 83, I think, and that had the first games I played with "depth." Or as much depth as you could get in that hardware gen.
Intellivision's much maligned controller, which was terrible let me tell you, was also the system's greatest strength. The keypad, and the myriad of overlays that games had for it, allowed for a level of depth that you didn't really see in other console titles of that era.
Great, figured I was the only one with an Intellivision. That console wasn't as popular but man did it have much better looking graphics and games than 2600 at the time. Higher resolution and number of colors. The controllers may have been awkward, but they were unique. Better than the Atari stiff stick with solitary button. These controllers had 4 buttons 2 on each side, a anlaog disc for movement and like you mentioned the phone like number pad with overlays for 8 more buttons. Also some games had speech. Keep in mind this was before nes.

Heh. No it wasnt my pc. I was like 6 or 7 when my older brother got it. I dont remember if it was 1 mhz but single single digit Im pretty sure, so between 1 and 10 mhz. Yes it was very expensive, in the ballpark of 30.000 DKR (about $4300) in 1986 mind you. Black & white screen.
Thats the Mega Man cover we got here in the Faroe Islands. I suspect it was the cover for PAL regions or at least the Nordic countries.
Yeah its amazing how much pcs cost back then. Some where in the 4k range and would go obselete in a year.

I learned something new today, didn't even know the Faroe Islands existed. What beautiful landscapes. Amazing. Plus houses with grass roofs. Seems to be a trend in these photos or is that just select locations. Very cool looking buildings and cliffs. Must be very cold though.

GodofWhimsy

Y'all old asf. For me it's a mashup between Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64 and Banjoo. They all kinda mash together as the first games I remember playing myself.

S77

Battle City on a Famiclone in '99, on a black and white TV. I was so baffled about the fact that a little tank moved when I pressed a button, it felt surreal at that time.

MarlboroRed

gb_pokemon_red_p_5vqvgp.jpg

Every kid in my street was playing it. I feel the experience of truly "discovering" a game on your own has been lost these days, with guides and youtube and whatnot often available before the actual game releases.
We used to share strategies and myths, i.e. how to find Mew, amongst ourselves. And no one had any way of factchecking things, so there was always loads of hoax bullshit involved that kept us occupied nonetheless.

Good times!

early 90s really old pc (obviously) black background, graphics looked like colored lines drawn with the line tool in paint. Its was some truck driving side scroller game.

Can not for the life of me remember the name.

Top Bottom