• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First game you remember playing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Here's another fav we played. Turns out this game came out 1981! We definitely didn't play it in 1980 as we got an Apple in I think 1983???

I think MS' first game. Very stodgy gameplay, but what do you expect. Shotput was like random. But it did take skill. Some events had you pressing arrow keys as fast as possible for speed like mashing buttons in Track & Field.

Last edited:
first ever, probably some Atari 2600 game in an uncle's house. First game in my house, no idea but I remember playing some Space invaders clone, some Q-bert clone, Pango (a clone of Pengo) and Paratrooper as some of the first ones. As time passes and I got to play more complex games I remember Hard Hat Mac, Alley Cat, Starglider and Artic Fox. Serious may be games that took a whole diskette! Can't tell if the first ones, but amongst the first ones are Airborne Ranger, Prince of Persia, Maniac Mansion, Nightmare on Elm Street and Dead Track

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
First one I played from beginning to end was Quake on PC.

However, years before that I was a huge fan of the Sega Megadrive/Genesis and couldn't get enough of Toe Jammin Earl.

Dark Star

Z9cR4Y6.jpg

100% Sonic The Hedgehog on Sega Genesis

after that it was probably Jurassic Park

Alphagear

First time I owned and played was Hellfire for the Sega Megadrive.

Was pretty hard for me at the time being 8 years old but loved every bit of it.

etp_1

Something on the Atari 2600, but i cant remember specifically. Kung Fu Master, Real Sports Boxing or Pac-Man...one of them i reckon.

Soodanim

Sega Master System
The Flintstones
412533-the-flintstones-sega-master-system-screenshot-the-brush-is.gif

Anyone who knows this game knows that getting past the first level isn’t easy mode stuff. Now imagine being 4 years old. I think I got to level 3 one time.

Last edited:

Entroyp

I remember they first game I ever played.. Donkey Kong 3. There was a small shop with a few arcade machines on the way home from school and a friend of mine invited me to play.

Reficul

I've seen it mentioned before and people may laugh it off, but pong was serious for a 5 year old in the late 70's
My father brought home a console from a trip abroad and I was fucking mezmerized. Being able to control objects on the tv was magic.

Shai-Tan

Banned
NES baseball at the house of a kid down the street. Didn’t really start playing games until the SNES/Genesis era though. May have seen them but too young to work the controls

Jad-Just_A_Dale

Neo Member
Anticipation on the NES. I remember playing that a lot with my family. I played older games and systems as a kid, but that game has my first memories in it. I'd really love a modern version of it that keeps the same feel and aesthetics.

small_law

Combat for the Atari 2600, but when I played Super Mario Bros for the first time, I knew video games would be my life long love.

Some 2.5D/3D shooter like Duke Nukem - but there was split-screen. And we played it daily with a friend. I remember lots of guns lying around and picking those up (minigun and stuff) and shooting at each other - it was like late 90s/early 00s in Poland. Can't remember the title thou, if some one has an idea, please write some titles ;). Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

gtrwll

I remember pestering my brothers to teach me how to use the casette deck on Commodore 64 so I could play The Last Ninja 2 while they were at school. I was 4 or 5 at that time.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Super Mario Bros on the NES.

I was 6 years old and my mom rented it to me because I was home with a broken arm and nothing to do. I had zero idea what it was when she came home with this bulky ugly looking console but Mario instantly clicked with me, right after the first jump over the goomba. It was love at first sight and I've been gaming ever since. I understood the mechanics and goal of the game right away. I think I even completed it during that weekend I was allowed to have it.

I don't think my mom has ever understood what kinda interest she set off that one day, one that has lasted over three decades and will last till the day I die. Although she has always been supportive of me and my hobbies, I think that deep inside she probably thinks I've should've outgrown it by now. But she will never say that to me out of respect for my love of games.
Yeah dude, moms have super powers sometimes it seems. I have a similar story. One day my mom decided to tell us about a gift she had gotten my bro and I one day after we had went with her to the local farmers market to buy some vegetables and fruits and things like that. It was a total surprise, and I don’t even remember what happened when she showed it to us, I cant remember my reaction. But I do remember my mom or day trying to hook it up. It was an N64. And Super Smash Bros was our very first game. I remember looking at the screen just seeing Mario and maybe Yoshi? in the select character screen that day soon after it was hooked up

That was the greatest gift I’ve ever been given and I doubt she even knows how much I value it and what it has done for me and my life. And she did the same thing again when she had bought me Majora’s Mask for an early Christmas gift in holiday of 2000. I still remember the Chris Jericho commercials about it and the world ending with the Moon lol with the 3 day cycle even being advertised. Good times

Moms seem to know man. Idk how they do but they sometimes just do. They give gifts you can never repay

Top Bottom