• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First GOTY of 2022 goes to Horizon: Forbidden West!

Bartski

Gold Member

It's only July, but the Develop: Brighton conference doesn't subscribe to the normalities of announcing its Game of the Year awards in December, so it's crowned Horizon Forbidden West the winner of its "Best Game" category. We're sure Guerrilla Games will take it! The event is designed for game developers and features an advisory board from various studios. Therefore, the GOTY award for Horizon Forbidden West was voted on by the developers themselves.

Last edited:

TheMan

Yeah this doesn't make sense at all, there are some heavy hitters coming out late in the year, right?

drunk snl GIF

CitizenZ

Banned
To reply back IMO sounds like desperation to keep this game in the conversation. It was released and forgotten like almost everything this year outside DS.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It was basically a given, I think only Forza Horizon 5 and Rift Apart even had a chance, but we know racing games never actually win GOTY and HFWs scope was just a level beyond Rift Apart.

The games that submitted themselves to this 3 day conferences awards ceremony:

• DEATHLOOP
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Life is Strange: True Colors
  • OlliOlli World
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Sifu
  • Unpacking

To put things into perspective how small this event is.......Sony with 2 GOTY nominations and 10+ nominations overall didnt even bother to submit themselves as best publisher.

No hate Ill prob be attending next years event under micro-indie.......assuming the world hasnt gone to shit.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
"It's only July, but the Develop: Brighton conference doesn't subscribe to the normalities of announcing its Game of the Year awards in December"

Do they they subscribe to the formalities of the Gregorian Calendar Year? It's fucking July. That means it's not GOTY. It's Game of the First 7.5 Months of the Year (GotF7.5MotY for short).
Congrats on your “game of the 1 year period from July 14, 2021 to July 13, 2022” Guerilla!

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
To be fair so long as there's a yearly interval between awards, its moot at what point in the calendar year when the decision was made.
Uh....when it says "Best Game 2022 Winner".....TENDS to imply that it's an award for 2022!!!!!! Not 6 months 2021/6 months 2022!!!!

Reactions: Isa

Fredrik

A GOTY award should not be set at the mid year time, that's silly (irrelevant to H:FW quality) .
Shouldn’t be set in December with a cut off date in November either, like The Game Awards. As said in another thread, Halo Infinite is eligible to be nominated for TGA’s GOTY award in 2022. It’s absurd.

Congrats to Guerrilla either way, I liked what I’ve played so far.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Uh....when it says "Best Game 2022 Winner".....TENDS to imply that it's an award for 2022!!!!!! Not 6 months 2021/6 months 2022!!!!

Not necessarily, its just signifying when the award was given.

The bigger issue is that unless you award game of calendar year retroactively, say on or after 1st Jan of the following year... somebody is getting their work left out!

I'll accept HFW as a GOT contender as it's one of the few games in 2022 I've actually completed and done most of the extras.
I give Rift Apart a Meh of the year as I really yawned my way through that game.
I finished Unpacking and enjoyed it but no way in heck is does that belong on any list of any GOTY.
Only dabbled in Forza Horizon 5. Dropped Life is Strange, Don't know what a Sifu is, and Oli Oli is not my thing.
Deathloop is on my list of plays but only if it's given away as part of a service or monthly games thing.

I might never finish Eldon Ring and I'm losing interest in it even trying as the days drag on. I've reached the Altus Plateau and it's just so samey up here that I don't care anymore.
Eldon Ring luster is getting Tarnished but it does belong on every GOTY list of games.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Not necessarily, its just signifying when the award was given.

The bigger issue is that unless you award game of calendar year retroactively, say on or after 1st Jan of the following year... somebody is getting their work left out!
Don't call it '2022 GOTY' if it doesn't include 75% of the big games from 2022.

Reactions: Isa

GC_DALBEN

Let's be honest, HFW was a good game but it's just silly to give it GOTY over Elden Ring.
Horizon is a good game, very beautiful, but Elden Ring is one of the best game i have ever played, i had so much fun and for the first time i got all my friends to play a SOULS game, and they all LOVED, one in a life time experience :) so cool.

Top Bottom