• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First image from HBO's The Last of Us series released

a961dc54077773.594c08dd8c0dd.jpg

You can always watch the original.

Malakhov

Banned
Can't believe there was a time that I actually really really liked this game. Back for the ps3 version and then eventually got the ps4 version of 1. Then I got my hands on the second one and well...yeah.
Yep, went from one of my favorite games of all time to a game I didn't even bother finishing and sold...

Last edited:
He was not "creative director" of The Last of Us Part II. He was the "Director" (of the entire game.)

Underneath him, the director, were the multiple game / art / programming directors (aka leads).
Game Director - Anthony Newman
Game Director - Kurt Margenau
Art Director - Erick Pangilnan
Art Director - John Sweeney
Programming Director - Travis McIntosh
Programming Director - Christian Gyrling
Technical Art Director - Waylon Brinck

Or are we gonna pretend that TLOU2 was actually co-directed by like 8-10 people now just cuz of the word director in their title?

We just disagree. Any director of an entire game, whether Druckmann, Barlog, Kojima, etc... they are involved in the entire project and that includes the game's design. Of course it varies person by person game by game but how much is impossible to know.

The Last of Us Part II - directed by Neil Druckmann.
God of War - directed by Cory Barlog.
Death Stranding - directed by Hideo Kojima.
Yeah. What he's saying makes no sense at all.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Looks very nice. Not surprising the amount of money it is costing, there’s no way they are going to let this be bad for their flagship game to transfer badly in to a series. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Surprisingly colorful. The outfits are also very similar to those in the game. Will keep an eye on this one - I like the first game a lot.

Markio128

I live in the UK, so don’t know when/how this will be aired over here, but I do want to see it. Like others have mentioned, with the lighting and costumes used in the photo, it does look very much like the game, though I don’t ever recall a downed aircraft in the game.

BlackM1st

Banned
I find Neil to be the single biggest closet movie director within the gaming industry. I wish him great success with this one, to the point he finally fulfills his dream and make this his long-term career.
Whatever it takes to keep him away from games xD

VulcanRaven

Looks great. I thought it was concept at at first before seeing the full size image. It looks a lot like TLOU2 concept art:
seattle-arrival_the-last-of-us-2_naughty-dog.jpg

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
a961dc54077773.594c08dd8c0dd.jpg

You can always watch the original.

Yep. Straley and Druckmann referenced McCarthy's The Road and other books as being inspirational in the development of The Last of Us.

GamesBeat: Are there any inspirations in that realm that you would call out, anybody else who’s done that well? In games or in other media.

Druckmann: There’s a book called City of Thieves, which is historical fiction. It explores the journey of these two survivors in Leningrad during World War II, while the city was under siege. They’re going to look for food and they run into cannibals and all these other horrible people, but there’s still humor in it. These two characters who hate each other form a bond. That was handled very well.

Straley: The Road, another book. That was a really good one.

Druckmann: Yeah. Also No Country for Old Men, the movie, as far as tension and what that showed us about how much you can create through subtraction. There’s almost no music in it, and almost no fighting. When the two main characters face off against each other, it’s really tense.

reksveks

I live in the UK, so don’t know when/how this will be aired over here, but I do want to see it. Like others have mentioned, with the lighting and costumes used in the photo, it does look very much like the game, though I don’t ever recall a downed aircraft in the game.
Sky Atlantic probably but you never know HBO might finally release a service out here.

FunkMiller

Fuck me. Just show them properly. This cock tease marketing stuff got old years ago. Now it’s just annoying and irritates more people than it hypes.

yurinka

He was not "creative director" of The Last of Us Part II. He was the "Director" (of the entire game.)

Underneath him, the director, were the multiple game / art / programming directors (aka leads).
Game Director - Anthony Newman
Game Director - Kurt Margenau
Art Director - Erick Pangilnan
Art Director - John Sweeney
Programming Director - Travis McIntosh
Programming Director - Christian Gyrling
Technical Art Director - Waylon Brinck

Or are we gonna pretend that TLOU2 was actually co-directed by like 8-10 people now just cuz of the word director in their title?
The game had 3 game directors, being Druckmann the lead one. He also was co-writer and vicepresident of the studio. The other ones you mention are directors of their respective (art, programming, tech...) areas. Depending on the studio or the game, they have the creative director role, in other cases like this one it's merged into their director roles.

Some other projects don't have director or creative director. They have a producer, design director, programming/tech director and art director instead. There is no blueprint that applies to all gamedev teams.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
After TLOU2, which was such a massive let down, I remain skeptical about anything Druckman is involved in.

Console warring in a thread about a TV show? Geez guys, you should be better than this.

i wish i could see you right wing maniacs, your little faces inches from your monitor, scanning for any evidence of "SJWs" so you can have a conniption fit over a couple of still photos of people's backs.

Me too lol! Some of them are so butthurt when anything outside of "their" norm is in any entertainment medium.

Top Bottom