• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First image from HBO's The Last of Us series released

kyliethicc

Wonder if the series will use practical effects or cgi for the infected......cos I'm kinda over cgi at this point,it detracts more times than it adds value to most movies tbh.

Neil Druckmann seems to confirm here they will be using practical effects for the infected.

“I just saw the first prosthetic test for the Clicker and it’s awesome. It’s so rad to see this thing come to physical life,” he said.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I live in the UK, so don’t know when/how this will be aired over here, but I do want to see it. Like others have mentioned, with the lighting and costumes used in the photo, it does look very much like the game, though I don’t ever recall a downed aircraft in the game.
Sky or Now TV and it'll probably be aired the day after north america just like Game of Thrones.

Deft Beck

I don't think this show is really all that necessary when the game already exists, but I think this is just an ego trip for Druckmann and an excuse to retcon things to fit the sequel game.

Last edited:

Arun1910

My first thought was "well it LOOKS like a game ..."

But maybe that just means games have hit a certain level of realism where games "LOOK sorta like real life."

Can't decide.
It looks like a game because the CGI background looks so out of place compared to the actors.

It literally looks like they're infront of a green screen.

I find Neil to be the single biggest closet movie director within the gaming industry. I wish him great success with this one, to the point he finally fulfills his dream and make this his long-term career.
You say that but metal gear solid fucking 4 had a 3 hour ending cutscene.

tommib

Wonder if the series will use practical effects or cgi for the infected......cos I'm kinda over cgi at this point,it detracts more times than it adds value to most movies tbh.
This is why I don’t watch most of modern mainstream cinema. CGI puts me completely off unless it’s so good that I don’t even realise it’s there.

Don’t you find this super paradoxical because we love videogames and graphics but then can’t stand them in film? I’ve always found this confusing.

Business

Not gonna lie it looks like cheap cosplay, the clothes look too new and fake weathered and the whole image has a massive off feeling, maybe the light, maybe too much photoshop or everything together.

Last edited:

kyussman

This is why I don’t watch most of modern mainstream cinema. CGI puts me completely off unless it’s so good that I don’t even realise it’s there.

Don’t you find this super paradoxical because we love videogames and graphics but then can’t stand them in film? I’ve always found this confusing.
Yea,I guess it's because everything else in movies is real and when there is too much cgi it just clashes....cgi is good in small doses,but it is overused these days.

yurinka

That’s not how it works just like in movies there are multiple directors, DP, AD, SD etc, however the main creative that sets the vision of the movie or game is the director which gets credited with “directed by”

On Uncharted 4 and TLOU they co directed
FkURPwz.png

On TLOU 2 Neil got the credit

mZtkUp8.png
In Uncharted 4 there where 2 game directors credited.
In TLOU2 there where 3 game directors credited, just after the screen you posted there was this one:
image.png

In the first Uncharted they only had Amy Henning as Game Director, with no Creative Director. In games like TLOU1, Uncharted 2 or 3 they had one Creative Director (Druckmann in TLOU1, Amy Hennig in the Uncharteds) and one Game Director (Bruce Straley in U2 and TLOU, Justin Richmond in U3).

Amy left, leaving U4 without Creative Director. So starting with U4 they moved from having a creative director and a game director to having two game directors (Neil and Bruce). Seems they liked it, because they repeated it in Uncharted The Lost Legacy (Shaun Escayg, who left to work in Avengers, and Kurt Margenau) and in TLOU2 they went to having 2 game directors to having 3 game direcors (Neil, Kurt and Anthony Newman).

Neil got promoted from lead game designer to creative director and from that to game director. All the other new directors after him got promoted from lead game designers to creative directors.

yurinka

He may get close to Joel’s look, I’m more interested to hear how gruff he can be.

images
With the camera more in the front and with the eyes, with the proper clothes, hairstyle and beard he will look like very similar to Joel. He's also very talented and charismatic, I'm pretty sure he'll do a great job.

The girl who plays Ellie also proven to be super talented in Game of Thrones even if she was super young acting as a strong, wild girl. I think she is a great actress who will do a great job, but regarding her face I think she looks too different, I'd have chosen someone more similar to her.

Last edited:
Looks good to me.
But my biggest concern is how to make the show also entertaining for people who played the games. Surely there will be some differences, but I feel like they cannot change too much in regards of where it is going and what happens at the end.

Alan Wake

Ok cool, just remember that most people overall liked TLOU2. I get it......opinions and all the jazz but.......
Yes, but it was very divisive. Much more than the first game, which was pretty much universally praised. It's one of my favorite games of all time, so coming into the sequel I had very high expectations. I don't think the disappointed fans are extremely few.

mckmas8808

Banned
Yes, but it was very divisive. Much more than the first game, which was pretty much universally praised. It's one of my favorite games of all time, so coming into the sequel I had very high expectations. I don't think the disappointed fans are extremely few.

I think there are fans that were disappointed on where the story went, but still really liked the game. Sometimes people don't like to use that level of nuance when speaking on the internet. It's like it takes too long to type or something.

But I get that.

Alan Wake

I think there are fans that were disappointed on where the story went, but still really liked the game.
Fair enough. I was very disappointed but still think it's a good game. 7/10. With no expectations the experience would've been a bit different (but I still think the story is a bloody mess).

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Very much looking forward to this. With Druckman leading and HBO backing, it’s going to be interesting.

Pascal is great too.

Top Bottom