• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First images of the Meta Quest Pro leak

Reallink

Oculus told UploadVR directly a few months ago it's going to be "significantly more than $800" in response to rumors at the time of a supposed $799 price point. Certainly sounds like their target price point is well over $1000. They're apparently positioning this as a premium work peripheral/device, not a game console. Think Macbook Pro pricing, not Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Since PS4 PRO, ”pro” is a term I‘ve learned to distrust when used by a mega corporation.

cowering season 8 GIF by The Walking Dead
ge aviation GIF by General Electric

They do look small though.

Apple’s been using that ‘pro’ term for ages now. No turbines involved.

I wonder how they’ll solve the problem of light bleed. And I’m not sure how well this will work with glasses…

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nathie (via Sadlybradley) is saying $1500 for the whole kit. That's pretty ambitious but hey people have shown their willingness time and time again to pay exorbitant prices in order to be early adopters.

This isn't the Quest 3, that will come too (probably next year) and be cheaper (and less advanced). This one is not primarily aimed at the consumer market.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
For that price it better have some absolutely incredible games.
I doubt that it will have many, if any, exclusive games. It will run on the same platform as the Quest 2, with the same chipset (just clocked higher).

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I doubt that it will have many, if any, exclusive games. It will run on the same platform as the Quest 2, with the same chipset (just clocked higher).

Without a killer app it's a pointless buy for me, especially at the suggested cost.

reksveks

For that price it better have some absolutely incredible games.
This device ain't for gamers. You could argue that's the only audience in the market. I expect another push for exclusive content around the quest 3 which should be next year.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This device ain't for gamers. You could argue that's the only audience in the market. I expect another push for exclusive content around the quest 3 which should be next year.

Is this simply a device to enter the metaverse? If so, for that price I'm expecting it to look EXACTLY like the Oasis from Ready Player One and nothing less.

Fuck yes, the Quest 2 is already amazing, but I can't wait for some proper high-end stuff.

Into my veins.

Hopefully this and PSVR2 will bring along some great improvements to VR altogether.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Without a killer app it's a pointless buy for me, especially at the suggested cost.
Likely for most people, and they know that. This is going to be focused on a much improved mixed reality/passthrough experience, with an emphasis on productivity, as well as face and eye tracking to improve social experiences.

The new features on show here are not really focused on gaming. It will play games but the gaming experience is probably not going to be world changingly better.

hlm666

Looks sleek. What are the specs?
Not sure the exact specs have been leaked yet, many rumors but think the only confirmed stuff is 2160p per eye micro oled panels, eye and face tracking, self tracked controllers (that's why they don't have rings) so they don't lose tracking when in a hmd blind spot etc and an upgraded version of the soc in the quest 2 and the pancake lenses giving its the smaller/lighter form factor. Full colour pass through for AR applications.

Last edited:
Not sure the exact specs have been leaked yet, many rumors but think the only confirmed stuff is 2160p per eye micro oled panels, eye and face tracking, self tracked controllers (that's why they don't have rings) so they don't lose tracking when in a hmd blind spot etc and an upgraded version of the soc in the quest 2 and the pancake lenses giving its the smaller/lighter form factor. Full colour pass through for AR applications.
Thanks friend. Will they beat the PSVR2 spec? And will meta make games to compete with steam/Sony?

If not, the headset is a dud.

Poppyseed

Hopefully the self-tracking controllers improve Walkabout Minigolf. The hilarious part about that game is you can’t line up your putter and then hit the ball while looking at the pin. You have to be looking at the ball the whole time or the game doesn’t register you hitting the ball at all. Perhaps this new device will solve that…

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
A friend of mine was telling me you bodge some hack on the quest 2 so it could play various other VR games on Steam, was that true?

If so, would this be the same? And if IF so, how good was it? Did it look crap?

hlm666

Thanks friend. Will they beat the PSVR2 spec? And will meta make games to compete with steam/Sony?

If not, the headset is a dud.
If your comparing the standalone soc to a ps5 that's not really comparable the rest of the hmd specs seem to compare very well or surpass the psvr2, it should airlink to steam though for those VR kind of games. I'm not exactly sure meta are going to focus on the type of games you would get on psvr2 and steam they are going to hyper focus social with this and if they have any games to go with it they will probably be AR. The psvr and pc vr market is too small for the amount of money meta are throwing at this, they don't want this to be considered just a gaming device.

Hopefully the self-tracking controllers improve Walkabout Minigolf. The hilarious part about that game is you can’t line up your putter and then hit the ball while looking at the pin. You have to be looking at the ball the whole time or the game doesn’t register you hitting the ball at all. Perhaps this new device will solve that…
lol it would fix things like that yes. I remember playing HLA with a quest 2 and grabbing the magazine from your shoulder would have issues if you were looking a certain way so the cameras on the hmd could no longer be able to see the controller, wasn't an issue for the index because the external tracking towers.

hlm666

A friend of mine was telling me you bodge some hack on the quest 2 so it could play various other VR games on Steam, was that true?

Don't need a hack, can use a usb cable or airplay if your router is good enough for wireless. Both modes are are part of the official software on the headset. And yes people expect this to have airplay, however wait for meta to confirm that because well it's meta.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Don't need a hack, can use a usb cable or airplay if your router is good enough for wireless. Both modes are are part of the official software on the headset. And yes people expect this to have airplay, however wait for meta to confirm that because well it's meta.
Hrrm, I might have a dabble then if it does, I only want to try Elite in VR 👀

hlm666

Hrrm, I might have a dabble then if it does, I only want to try Elite in VR 👀
I havn't tried elite in VR for a verrry long time (like dk2 long) it blew my mind at the time though, modern headsets should fix my biggest issues with it which was text readability. Do you have the full joystick and throttle thing going on?

Rambone

I'm not likely to purchase one if it is not the successor to Quest 2. I feel like we are so close to the Quest 3 that buying this device would be pointless as a filthy VR casual. The last thing I wanna do at this time is drop $500-700 USD on this thing only to have it become a paperweight in a year because it can't Support certain Quest 3 titles like what we have going on between Quest 1 and 2 at the moment (which is expected).

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Wow, they're getting close to the vr glasses future.... I don't like it
Call me a heretic, but I like how big and bulky vr is. Maybe the weight isn't ideal but the form factor is, I like knowing that my vr box has actual hardware working inside it

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I am kind of worried about the lack of facial interface to block light from outside. It's a weird choice.

That was my reaction too. But this headset is supposed to be aimed at work and productivity rather than gaming, and I guess for that stuff full immersion and blocking out the outside world isn't as important. But that would definitely also mean that it's not an optimal gaming headset.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I havn't tried elite in VR for a verrry long time (like dk2 long) it blew my mind at the time though, modern headsets should fix my biggest issues with it which was text readability. Do you have the full joystick and throttle thing going on?
Oh god no, I never went down that route sadly. Just a control pad is all I need for now if I had VR

I did have a full wheel and gear shift set up for racing games but the amount of bullshit the wife gave me just wasnt worth it. You'd of thought i'd raised the Titanic and stuck it in the living room with all the whinging.. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

When the lad moves out though it'll be a different story, nice sized room, good cupboard space... 👀

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

There's no need for any "hack", the Quest 2 natively supports PC VR, wired and wirelessly. But it can't actually RUN Steam games, only "stream" them from a PC.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Self-tracking controllers sounds awesome (even if the current Quest ones work very well in most cases), but do we know how that actually works? Do the controllers have cameras like the headset? Sounds bad for battery life (which is amazing with the current controllers).

Fredrik

No rings on the controllers, aren’t those used for finger tracking?

Anyway, very appealing form factor. Hopefully they work with glasses.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No rings on the controllers, aren’t those used for finger tracking?

Anyway, very appealing form factor. Hopefully they work with glasses.

No, on the current Quest controllers the rings are for tracking their position and orientation only. There is no finger tracking, only touch detection. The controller can sense if a finger is resting on a button even if you're not pressing it, but there's no actual finger position tracking.

The Quest 2 CAN do hand and finger tracking using the headset cameras, but that is completely separate from the controllers (you can't do both together).

Last edited:

Larxia

How’s this going to work for those with corrective lenses?
It would be cool if the focal distance could be adjusted directly in these headsets, dynamically, like when looking through binoculars, so that way it could work for anyone natively.
I'm near sighted and can only see clearly up to about 20 cm, which technically could be enough given the distance of the VR lens from the eye, but since the focal plane in the VR is pushed further, it doesn't work.

hlm666

Self-tracking controllers sounds awesome (even if the current Quest ones work very well in most cases), but do we know how that actually works? Do the controllers have cameras like the headset? Sounds bad for battery life (which is amazing with the current controllers).
Leaks have been saying they have their own cameras yeh.

Top Bottom