• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look: the headset design for PlayStation VR2

ethomaz

Banned
A little thing I noticed.

Have a look at the ufficial blog entry about the headset.

PlayStation 5 as a "requirement" is never cited. The console is only mentioned when talking about the design choices.
Well Sony never released PSVR drivers for PC.
You need to rely on community drivers that are well very trick to use.

Let’s hope Sony do drivers this time.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

reksveks

I do hope the cable isnt hardwired but it sadly looks like it is.

Other than that, looks great.

Last edited:
I do hope the cable isnt hardwired but it sadly looks like it is.

Other than that, looks great.

Unfortunately it is from what the pictures look like, but I am hoping they do have some type of break-away cable on the USB C cord inbetween the PSVR2 headset and the PS5, the last thing I need to do is step wrong and yeet my PS5 to the ground by accident!

You can use contact lens, no?
Or can you use with glasses?

I’m just curious… I used glasses two decades ago.
I wouldn't be able to use contact lenses if my life depended on it.

JUST CAN'T PUT SHIT INTO MY EYES
The Office No GIF

And yes PSVR was possible to be used with glasses so I'm quite sure its gonna be possible with PSVR2

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
And yes PSVR was possible to be used with glasses so I'm quite sure its gonna be possible with PSVR2
I don't normally play mine with glasses on, but for the few times I do, I got some of those molded pieces that you can stick inside to prevent the lenses getting scratched. I'm sure those will be available again for PSVR2 as an extra measure.

Rudius

Do improvements manage to not get me a headache everytime i tried to use VR headset?

If not, they can keep it...
The headset vibration should help with that.

But the real solution is to just wait a bit until you get comfortable with it. If you had never being in a car you would feel sick the first few times.

aclar00

Yeah the only thing I wish they would change. Here's hoping that the cable has a spot half way that can be swapped out or unplugs if too much tension is on it to prevent damage. Kind of like those original Xbox controller cables.

EDIT: Ninja'd

That, and maybe a 180' (even 100') rotating mechanism that takes a bit of the pull off the handset' especially when turned away from the console.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Why would someone buy this when you can have a quest 2 with Facebook integration. Makes no sense

Cause the quest 2 is garbage.

It has good tracking and controllers, but the Ipd adjustment, grey washed out black levels, field of view, ghosting is so bad that it makes the whole product a complete joke.

Rudius

I hope the image quality is better this time around as that kills dmy excitement for the original. some stuff was so grainy and dark. fingers crossed it's decent as I like the look of this and I enjoyed my brief time with oculus vr so will be nice to play some first party Sony games in vr. I guess res 8 will be one with the new dlc they are making. it would be fun to try ghost wire Tokyo in vr so fingers crossed.
It will be better. It has 4x more pixels (should look "2x better") and the screens are HDR, meaning, at the very least, higher brightness and contrast.

HTK

Banned
Still has a cord smdh
I've never tried a VR headset but is this a deal breaker?

My understanding is, wireless the games will look shitty since it's running off the headset with limited hardware. Is a single cord really a deal breaker when in return you can get better visuals/performance etc...? From my point of view, I rather have the more powerful hardware and deal with a single wire.

Reallink

This is a shame, doesn't look like a headset I'll ever be able to use. I've never successfully worn PSVR longer than 20 minutes, despite using an Index for 4 hours straight regularly. Putting 100% of the weight on the forehead coupled with the extreme ocipital and temple clamping force required to keep this kind of mount stationary in movement gives me a guaranteed headache and makes my forehead follicles itch like poison ivy after 20 or 30 minutes.

MachRc

I was looking for mentions on PC and couldn’t find it but you might have point here. I think it would be smart to offer PC compability.
At this point I have too many headsets.

The wired windows mixed reality ones that don't get any play since now I have a pair of Quest2s that does the same or I can wirelessly stream PC games if I want to..
I do like the fact that the quest2 can link with the PC and play all my SteamVR stuff.

I already have so many steamVR games ALyx, Skyrim VR with mods, anything worth having.. and Quest 2 [android VR] games via FFA L@ader.

I dont know if I need another headset to play RecRoom again.
This will be solely to play Sony's "VR exclusives"

But..

Im burnt out on VR to be honest..cordless is refreshing..

People who have not been into VR like me since 2017 or their last headset being PSVR1 will love this.

I do look forward to seeing how this pans out,
but I am not getting this day one.

Rudius

Looks really nice and will flow nice with white ps5 and white pulse 3d
The halo straps are usually comfortable but wobbly, warm and hair ruining :p But I will get it anyway.

Looks ike pulse 3d might fit over it. Hope it works together
It sure messes up the hair, but that is better than having something pressing against your face for hours. It's not only uncomfortable, but I worry that could slightly deform the more fragile bones of the area after years of use.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

My understanding is, wireless the games will look shitty since it's running off the headset with limited hardware. Is a single cord really a deal breaker when in return you can get better visuals/performance etc...? From my point of view, I rather have the more powerful hardware and deal with a single wire.
Exactly this.

I have a Quest 2. And while it's pretty good for how portable and easy-to-use it is, it does leave you wondering what could VR be like with greater graphical fidelity. I don't want PSVR 2 to run on a mobile processor. I want a AAA VR experience with the full power of the PS5.

MachRc

These cordless ones(quest2), can be corded to a pc to have the same effect..
You can even wirelessly stream highend visual PC VR games to your headset as well..

Once you enjoy cordless VR, most VR games being the graffix equivalent of PS3, its hard to go back to the corded experience for sure.
I downplayed the quest 2 for awhile until I tried it and realized how seemless/streamlined it is
The ease of use compared to a corded headset.

My kids can easily take it around and have fun with it without me setting it up for them, unlike the "clunky" corded experience.

Again if you dont already have a high end PC, and already passed ALyx during the lockdown pandemic 2 years ago.
This would be a natural fit.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
These cordless ones(quest2), can be corded to a pc to have the same effect..
You can even wirelessly stream highend visual PC VR games to your headset as well..

Once you enjoy cordless VR, most VR games being the graffix equivalent of PS3, its hard to go back to the corded experience for sure.
I downplayed the quest 2 for awhile until I tried it and realized how seemless/streamlined it is
The ease of use compared to a corded headset.

My kids can easily take it around and have fun with it without me setting it up for them, unlike the "clunky" corded experience.

Again if you dont already have a high end PC, and already passed ALyx during the lockdown pandemic 2 years ago.
This would be a natural fit.
Wireless will increase the weight for sure. And with short life battery you'll end up using wired anyway. So yeah one cord is perfect

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

It has good tracking and controllers, but the Ipd adjustment, grey washed out black levels, field of view, ghosting is so bad that it makes the whole product a complete joke.

I thought alot of people love the Quest 2....

chixdiggit

Exactly this.

I have a Quest 2. And while it's pretty good for how portable and easy-to-use it is, it does leave you wondering what could VR be like with greater graphical fidelity. I don't want PSVR 2 to run on a mobile processor. I want a AAA VR experience with the full power of the PS5.
But Quest 2 also runs off my PC..... Wireless as well.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Why would someone buy this when you can have a quest 2 with Facebook integration. Makes no sense
VR headset warring on the down-low. Nice. You don't have to feel threatened by the Quest 2. Everything will be ok.

More warring. You have Big Truck Syndrome.
---
On topic. The vent thing is a good idea as long as it's perfectly quiet. The way the cord is fixed into the headset instead of having a breakaway option seems like poor design, and honestly so is not having a wireless option in the first place. The controller design and how you put your hands through the rings is a little weird. Aside from those minor gripes, it appears to be a great option for VR.

Markio128

Looks great and I’m sure it’ll be comfy. I’m likely day one, but it really does depend on the games. If it also works with some of the PSVR titles, then even better. Maybe some of the older titles will get an update - I’d like to try NMS and Skyrim if they were updated.

Top Bottom