• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Switch OLED spotted in the wild

Derktron

Banned
Nintendo surely knows how to scam its consumers lmao
I keep telling ya'll Nintendo is the Apple of videogames, only because they can get away with almost anything when they do something and the fanboys still flock to it like a bunch of sheep.

2d GIF by floodcomics

brian0057

Banned
Didn't somebody say it only cost them $10 or $15 more per unit?
And watch them drop it to that once the regular switch sells thru.......
Price isn't based solely on the cost of manufacturing.
Nintendo sets the price they think it's worth (by whatever metric, it doesn't matter) and the public decides if the device is worth it.
And given that the OG Switch is basically printing money still at its original price, I can see why Nintendo set the price they did for the OLED version.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
You mean the article that said a 4k dock was included? Nintendo probably scrapped that last minute to save $30 a unit. And interesting Nintendo failed to respond when bloomburg reached out for comment but only decided to comment later on when the internet was buzzing about the $10.
I don't believe for a second the 4K thing was ever true.

And I was consistent, I called that bullshit from day one. In order to include a 4K dock, Nintendo would have to come up with a third mode. For all games. It's overkill. There was no reason to believe that what so ever.

Last edited:

tommib

I keep telling ya'll Nintendo is the Apple of videogames, only because they can get away with almost anything when they do something and the fanboys still flock to it like a bunch of sheep.

2d GIF by floodcomics
Apple designs the most advanced mobile processors in the world. They’re really not compatible.

DarkestHour

Banned
I can't wait to buy it and then the controllers get destroyed and then they release another OLED Switch with better performance. This is the Nintendo DS shit all over again.

Last edited:

Kappa

And I was consistent, I called that bullshit from day one. In order to include a 4K dock, Nintendo would have to come up with a third mode. For all games. It's overkill. There was no reason to believe that what so ever.
Of course. If you actually thought a handleheld 4k device was coming from nintendo you are beyond delusional and have no idea how electronics work

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Oh well, if Azelover didn't believe it for a second it must not be true! Lol

A third mode for upcoming games and a patch for aaa games? Big deal.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't really get your point. It was officially announced by Nintendo, so what's your problem ? Nintendo Switch OLED will have improved audio capabilities, that's all there is to it.
That it is so generic to say that I cannot really use it to say anything about the value of the HW.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Smaller bezels, but still pretty damn large compared to other modern portable computing devices.

At least the screen won't be ruining gaming for people by being matte!

Pray tell, how exactly are Nintendo scamming people?

Do you realise how stupid it would be to release a Switch 4K? The impact on the battery would render the entire thing useless. Again, people are complaining about the Switch OLED screen, yet SteamDeck only outputs at 720p and uses a vastly inferior LCD. Even at 720p, Switch’s OLED will make a hell of a difference.
Just some salty fanboy. 😂😂😂

RoadHazard

Gold Member

What if the dock had a DLSS chip built in? 🤔

(I don't know at what stage DLSS happens, and if it could happen after the image has already been rendered.)

jaysius

Banned
They should have changed the battery life to 30 minutes in order to match the ergonomics. Now, that would have been proper design.
The issue is how you have to hold it, Joy-Cons are 100% trash, cost, design, function and longevity. It takes thinking outside the box to see that.

Joy-Cons need to be jettisoned into the sun.

Good attempt at a weak defense logical fallacy though.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Pray tell, how exactly are Nintendo scamming people?

Do you realise how stupid it would be to release a Switch 4K? The impact on the battery would render the entire thing useless. Again, people are complaining about the Switch OLED screen, yet SteamDeck only outputs at 720p and uses a vastly inferior LCD. Even at 720p, Switch’s OLED will make a hell of a difference.
numbskull Switch 4K meant it could output 4k to a tv using Nvidia DLSS, not the screen on the handheld People are complaining because nothing about it is a worthy upgrade for existing owners.

Ryu Kaiba

I'm immensely disappointed in how uninterested in buying it I am.
This is basically what the Switch should've been in the first place. Bezzles that aren't half the screen, decent amount of storage, ethernet built into the dock, a kickstand that's not garbage. But for an existing owner it's a complete nothing-burger of an upgrade. Hope these features at least come standard when they do release a successor.

Zannegan

...Bezzles that aren't half the screen, decent amount of storage, ethernet built into the dock, a kickstand that's not garbage. But for an existing owner it's a complete nothing-burger of an upgrade. Hope these features at least come standard when they do release a successor.
Amen to that.

What's "gimmicky" about it?
Well, he hates the Switch, but it has found mainstream success. That makes it gimmicky.

Although, in this case, the line between love and hate are clearly very thin. He claims to hate everything about the Switch, but he can't stay away from Switch threads. Clearly the yearning is there, deeply sublimated, to play Pokemon Sword and Shield: The Mega Fan's Collector's edition, with three joycon at once.

jigglet

Banned
God it's a nice system. That new stand alone is almost enough to sway me. If it had even a small hardware boost I would have picked it up, but for now I'll just wait for the next model.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They should have changed the battery life to 30 minutes in order to match the ergonomics. Now, that would have been proper design.
It is known nVIDIA hates money and would have never considered doing a die shrink of the Tegra chip for Nintendo consuming much much less power and/or work with then to give them a cut down version of a newer chip restricted at the same performance but much much lower power consumption.
Also, I forget Nintendo is a cash strapped company that cannot invest a lot of money either.

No wait, neither is true…

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I got lucky and got one of those walmart preorders where they lowered the switch OLED price to $299. Said it was a price match.

You can cast a spell on me now.

Top Bottom