• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yoga continues to make me it’s bitch. I feel like it’s a good thing though.
Every now and again I feel like I’ve built enough core strength or flexibility and I take a fees days off. Then I get back into it and all those tiny muscles kick my ass during different poses. I really need to find a good groove. Best scenario for me I think is 30 mins after waking up and 30 before bed.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Finished a full body routine just now. Gave myself two weeks to rest after being vaccinated w/ the J&J + Janssen shot so this was the first real training session in those two weeks. Focused on immune health and did very small workouts while resting mostly all the while

Just finished watching the Rocky saga + Creed with my fiancée
So did this fool haha
Eric’s the man

God Enel

So. My two(?) month break is over. Tomorrow I’m gonna start working out again. My Clavicle has hopefully healed. Im in a quite bad shape after such a long period. Thank god I didn’t gain any weight. Maybe one or two kg. Just have to get back into action. The lack of motivation is my biggest killer. But I have to find it. Sometimes you have to force yourself.

I did some workouts from time to time (mostly legs and core) but when you can’t exercise properly it’s just horrible

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
So just a check in. I’ve been sick for the last 2 weeks, and before that I was on vacation. Long story short, haven’t worked out since February 11 and I’m up about 8 lbs (mostly belly fat) since January. Had a LOT going on the last few months. I’m planning to start hitting the bike trail when whatever this illness is clears up.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Any runners here? I’m a 30 mile/week person, nothing else keeps me sane. I have been working out with weights for 25 years (and still do) but I don’t feel great at the end of resistance workouts like I do with running.
I enjoy running but my hip & knee have issues. I'm balancing out stretching, strength training, and running. I get mental release from any form of physical exercise and I definitely have a better overall mood when I keep consistency.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Any runners here? I’m a 30 mile/week person, nothing else keeps me sane. I have been working out with weights for 25 years (and still do) but I don’t feel great at the end of resistance workouts like I do with running.
I also love running but I have to avoid it because it sends me on a spiral of knee pain

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I enjoy running but my hip & knee have issues. I'm balancing out stretching, strength training, and running. I get mental release from any form of physical exercise and I definitely have a better overall mood when I keep consistency.
I have had various issues over the years with knees and my back, so I can relate. Running is hard on the body, very hard. I've found that a low-inflammation diet, lots of stretching, and quality sleep (length of sleep as well as quality TOGETHER) are probably my biggest helpers in avoiding recurrent injuries. Also, foam rolling has helped me tremendously, particularly my lower back.

If I pig out on cake and icecream at a birthday party, my joints absolutely kill me the next day and workouts seem a lot harder than they should. lol

Golgo 13

I also love running but I have to avoid it because it sends me on a spiral of knee pain
Do you have a ton of previous knee injuries like me? Or just unlucky with your joints and they are creaky? Or maybe both? Lol. I used to be a wrestler so I've blown out my ACL and MCL a few times, along with various meniscus tears. GOOD TIMES

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Do you have a ton of previous knee injuries like me? Or just unlucky with your joints and they are creaky? Or maybe both? Lol. I used to be a wrestler so I've blown out my ACL and MCL a few times, along with various meniscus tears. GOOD TIMES
No injuries, I think I just have bad biomechanics. I first started having knee pain at age 19, but a few years after that I discovered that if I stretched after a warmup consistently before running I could do it without getting knee pain.

Last summer I went overboard on biking and running without doing any stretching (until it was too late) and that bout of knee pain only started going away 4-5 months ago.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Got myself a pair 30kg dumbbells which I can just about do most variations of dumbbell exercises with, so not to much trouble and some gymnastic rings to do pullups on.

5Bx7LnM.jpg

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Full body routine finished today. Going to re-introduce DB Rows into the program next session. I was getting bored with the weight/rep scheme I was doing last time so this time it'll be more weight less reps most days

Pullups with the angle grips are a lot better feeling on the joints but it still feels tougher to recruit everything on the same level atm. It might take a few weeks or more before being able to get the same feel and contraction as when performing with a pronated grip. It will be worth it in the end bit for now going to have test some things out. Kinda crazy how a few degrees can change something so much; it's only a 90 degree difference, a slight turn of the hands but it feels like a completely different movement

Raven117

Gold Member
I'm your huckleberry. Running gives you that sweet sweet endorphin high that typical resistance workouts just can't deliver. Sure, you can do some metabolic weight training, but its just not the same.

I try and keep it down to only 3 to 5 mile little jobs a few times a week, but damnit, sometimes I need to do more.

Also, finished up an intense 3 month metabolic weight training program. Feeling pretty good! I may do some more traditional 4x8 strength/hydrophy for the next two months. See where that gets me.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

I'm your huckleberry. Running gives you that sweet sweet endorphin high that typical resistance workouts just can't deliver. Sure, you can do some metabolic weight training, but its just not the same.

I try and keep it down to only 3 to 5 mile little jobs a few times a week, but damnit, sometimes I need to do more.

Also, finished up an intense 3 month metabolic weight training program. Feeling pretty good! I may do some more traditional 4x8 strength/hydrophy for the next two months. See where that gets me.
What’s 4x8 strength/hydrophy? Haven’t read any fitness stuff lately outside of Pavel Tsatsouline.

Raven117

Gold Member
What’s 4x8 strength/hydrophy? Haven’t read any fitness stuff lately outside of Pavel Tsatsouline.
Well, traditional strength programs are 5x5 lifting as heavy as possible. Hypertrophy makes your muscles look bigger. Strength is obviously, dense. Since I'm not too terribly interested in getting all "beach bod" or bigger (those days are long gone), I'm a little more focused on strength (but still want to look good). Figured I would try 4x8 for two months to see where that gets me. A little more "in the middle" approach and working as heavy as I can.

A basic explanation

Golgo 13

Well, traditional strength programs are 5x5 lifting as heavy as possible. Hypertrophy makes your muscles look bigger. Strength is obviously, dense. Since I'm not too terribly interested in getting all "beach bod" or bigger (those days are long gone), I'm a little more focused on strength (but still want to look good). Figured I would try 4x8 for two months to see where that gets me. A little more "in the middle" approach and working as heavy as I can.

A basic explanation
Interesting article. Most of that stuff checks out based on the current science that’s widely confirmed. I personally love the endurance workouts with 12-15 reps per set/30 second rest. You can power through a workout of 9 sets in like 10-15 minutes and be sweating the entire time.

Heavy lifting makes me feel like garbage afterward but I can see the utility in being the biggest baddest motherfucker, but it sure is hard on the nervous system.

Kazza

Let's have a measure up! What waist size is everyone, and what is your target? Sometimes weight alone can be misleading, as it could be muscle or fat, but the waist never lies! I think shoulders and chest are probably the other two most important measurements for tracking progress. With the gyms in the UK finally open again, I want to start putting on muscle, although I still haven't met my fat reduction goals yet.

My current waist is around 33.5 inches, and I want to get to 32.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Let's have a measure up! What waist size is everyone, and what is your target? Sometimes weight alone can be misleading, as it could be muscle or fat, but the waist never lies! I think shoulders and chest are probably the other two most important measurements for tracking progress. With the gyms in the UK finally open again, I want to start putting on muscle, although I still haven't met my fat reduction goals yet.

31" here but the waist size is only one number. Without my height or body composition, that number doesn't mean much.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Abstract​

Periods of fasting and refeeding may reduce cardiometabolic risk elevated by Western diet. Here we show in the substudy of NCT02099968, investigating the clinical parameters, the immunome and gut microbiome exploratory endpoints, that in hypertensive metabolic syndrome patients, a 5-day fast followed by a modified Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension diet reduces systolic blood pressure, need for antihypertensive medications, body-mass index at three months post intervention compared to a modified Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension diet alone. Fasting alters the gut microbiome, impacting bacterial taxa and gene modules associated with short-chain fatty acid production. Cross-system analyses reveal a positive correlation of circulating mucosa-associated invariant T cells, non-classical monocytes and CD4+ effector T cells with systolic blood pressure. Furthermore, regulatory T cells positively correlate with body-mass index and weight. Machine learning analysis of baseline immunome or microbiome data predicts sustained systolic blood pressure response within the fasting group, identifying CD8+ effector T cells, Th17 cells and regulatory T cells or Desulfovibrionaceae, Hydrogenoanaerobacterium, Akkermansia, and Ruminococcaceae as important contributors to the model. Here we report that the high-resolution multi-omics data highlight fasting as a promising non-pharmacological intervention for the treatment of high blood pressure in metabolic syndrome patients.

quickwhips

Damn son

100 five days a week is solid

You do em all in one set?
Yeah it takes me about 10 minutes. I do this 5 minute exercise app then finish up with 100 push ups. It took me a while to be able to do them. I use to do like 20 guy 80 girl. Then I started being able to do 100 guy push ups over 6 months.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Going to do a 45-min treadmill workout via Apple Fitness+ after my coffee. I really like their programs. I've never been one to train via running, so it's a nice intro to the concepts. I love the mix of hills / inclines and speed pushes. I've noticed over the past months that it's helped me to push my base pace up. Plus, I can't ever let coach Sam down.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sp I got a skateboard yesterday and managed to fall and fuck up my left wrist. It's a little swollen and range of motion is limited. Now I need to find some other workouts to do while it heals over the next week or so. I'm going to keep the squats & walking lunges for sure. I think I'll keep spending time and the board and just count it as cardio time or something. I'll keep getting some runs in as well.

Tazzu

Hey guys, dropping in to ask a rather stupid question but one that is really bugging me.

I am currently 31 and I have never properly worked out. I was doing 5x5 programme for a couple of years on and off where I would hit a plateau and stop. My numbers were decent for my height.
I really now want to put some bulk on but I am really afraid I have left it too late. I have skinny arms but a decent chest and shoulders, so a good frame there to put some meat on. My life for the last 10 years has been riddled with depression and anxiety so I didn't take care of my body. It is now killing me that I didn't do so earlier.

I also want to get fit, I have started couch-to-5k and have made some decent progress. Again I won't be Cristiano Ronaldo but what can I expect at this age?

Thanks!

SpiceRacz

Hey guys, dropping in to ask a rather stupid question but one that is really bugging me.

I am currently 31 and I have never properly worked out. I was doing 5x5 programme for a couple of years on and off where I would hit a plateau and stop. My numbers were decent for my height.
I really now want to put some bulk on but I am really afraid I have left it too late. I have skinny arms but a decent chest and shoulders, so a good frame there to put some meat on. My life for the last 10 years has been riddled with depression and anxiety so I didn't take care of my body. It is now killing me that I didn't do so earlier.

I also want to get fit, I have started couch-to-5k and have made some decent progress. Again I won't be Cristiano Ronaldo but what can I expect at this age?

Thanks!

Never too late to start. In fact, 31 is pretty much your physical prime as a man. As for bulking up, stick with compound lifts and fill in the gaps with accessory work. What I found was most effective for me was squats, overhead press, dumbell shoulder presses, heavy dumbell bench presses, bent over rows, pull ups, and deadlifts. Try to keep it as simple as possible and don't overthink it.

Raven117

Gold Member

Thanks!

Never too late to start. In fact, 31 is pretty much your physical prime as a man. As for bulking up, stick with compound lifts and fill in the gaps with accessory work. What I found was most effective for me was squats, overhead press, dumbell shoulder presses, heavy dumbell bench presses, bent over rows, pull ups, and deadlifts. Try to keep it as simple as possible and don't overthink it.
What Spice said, but you are going to really need to take a look at your nutrition. Being over 30 (like myself), your diet needs to really be on point for you to get the gains you want. Also, you may need to look into some different rep schemes (ie, you are looking at 3x12 or something like that). Bulking isin't the same as just getting stronger." You need to lift close to failure and with volume. Its going to be a little different style of lifting than you are used to.

squallheart

Sigh I think I'm at 38 or 40. Gyms closed and my job is sedentary plus suffered am injury last year (groin) that kept me out and now i got the go ahead to be able to workout. My gym opened open and went yesterday to unfreeze my account. What kept me from getting to fat was ddp yoga. Now i have to set up a routine. Damn you covid weight.

Kazza

Sigh I think I'm at 38 or 40. Gyms closed and my job is sedentary plus suffered am injury last year (groin) that kept me out and now i got the go ahead to be able to workout. My gym opened open and went yesterday to unfreeze my account. What kept me from getting to fat was ddp yoga. Now i have to set up a routine. Damn you covid weight.

I got up to around 38/39 inches during the worst of my lockdown porkiness. Starting from September last year I started fasting every other day, doing some light yoga/jogging, and posting updates to this thread every Sunday to keep the pressure on myself (you can see the posts if you track back to around October onwards). I got to under 34 by Christmas, but then put more on again, before getting back down to under 34 again recently. I'm fed up of the yoyoing, so I'm pretty strict with myself these days.

Once I get to under 33, I'm going to start strength training again and will be measuring my chest/shoulders etc rather than just my waist. I hated being 38 inches, I felt like such a slob, having to undo the top button of my trousers when sitting down :messenger_tears_of_joy:. Starting up yoga again at that weight and shape wasn't fun either. It was horrible seeing my gut hang down as I did a headstand, or having my belly crush my organs as I tried to do a plough:

iu

Good luck with it. I would recommend making a commitment to post your waist size once a week in this thread. Knowing that I would have to post the results of my work (or laziness) helped keep me on the straight and narrow, so maybe it'll help you too.

Top Bottom