• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
i know ya all showing your guns and upper body gainz,

but lets see dem tree trunk legs and big booties!

Dont want no chicken legz!

I have my father's calves

Btw

godTMDR.jpg

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Maybe grey. Love the sweat marks

Even on juice Kai got second place 2 or 3 times in a row mostly because of the thickness of his lower legs and arms.

But I get ya. Saw those enough over the years.

Show muscles 24/7 baby.

Have to wear those skinny jeans and xxs shirts to tha bar amirite

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Also I wanna stay lean and do lots of cardio. Not a helpful combo lol.

My mom's husband does zero workout and has balloons for calves lmao

Last edited:
e92zdF5.jpg
JnSXonI.jpg
uxt5Ryd.jpg
0JKLbl7.jpg

If doing cardio, bicycling HIIT/Sprint with high resistance/intensity in the morning and doing squats at night will drastically increase your leg mass. Robert Forstemann legs are so damn huge! Australian rugby players, and world soccer/football players (not american football), world sprinters legs are massive!!

Also another secret to reducing lower abdominal fat is to grow your leg muscles, because muscles are selfish and will suck out/pull all the energy reserves in nearest proximity to grow

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
e92zdF5.jpg
JnSXonI.jpg
uxt5Ryd.jpg
0JKLbl7.jpg

If doing cardio, bicycling HIIT/Sprint with high resistance/intensity in the morning and doing squats at night will drastically increase your leg mass. Robert Forstemann legs are so damn huge! Australian rugby players, and world soccer/football players (not american football), world sprinters legs are massive!!

Also another secret to reducing lower abdominal fat is to grow your leg muscles, because muscles are selfish and will suck out/pull all the energy reserves in nearest proximity to grow

I'm pretty sure genetics play a role as I mention above a man that has zero training experience has huge calves.

With that said I'm in no way dismissing your input!!!!

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Focussing on legs (lower back) anyway coming year. Farmer walks should be good for calves as well among other.

First things first though.

Last edited:
I know there is also this big calisthenics movement for fitness, which I think is basically a milder version of men's gymnastics (mostly focusing on upper body). Here is a cool youtuber:

Mobility, stretching is also important for muscle building and reducing injury. Can anyone do flips and splits?

EIVjND9.jpg

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Mobility, stretching is also important for muscle building and reducing injury. Can anyone do flips and splits?

I could do the splits when I was around 12. Took some dedication but I had Van Damme as my inspiration/motivation lmao. (Sssst, i could do it between two seats =P)

Without going into to much detail I suffer from chronic pain caused by a combination of reasons.

Been stretching for a year now to lengthen certain muscles before making said muscles stronger.

I've made relative huge improvements and plan to take it a step further this coming year.

🤗

Flips though? I'd wish

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Just checking in! How we all doing? Making gains? Living through the worst gym month of the year?

Noticed that the gyms are starting to thin out a little bit after the giant influx of "New Years Resolution" folks.

For me. Since November, I have gained about 6-8 pounds or so. Cut out cardio (for the time being...), lifting heaving three times a week. Squats, deadlifts, Bench, Shoulder Press. (filling in with some more auxiliary lifts). All the big boy compounds. Took about a month to really dial in where I was at strengthwise with good form. (My squats are sad :(...being 6'5" to do a squat with good form...woof...going down in weight). Deadlifts...for some reason are better.

Starting to feel pretty good!

tkscz

Been a while since I posted here. Reason being I had to stop working out for a while. Started getting REALLY bad migraines, no idea why I got them. Went to the hospital and they told me my left back muscle wasn't developing or being used, instead my neck had been compensating for it. I had days specifically for back workouts and while my neck was stiff afterwards I thought it was just normal, didn't realize that was happening. So I stopped weighted exercises for a while and focused on Physical Therapy. End of December I was told it was ok for me to use weights again but I had to decrease them. Now I'm back on my game and have actually seen gains in my back.

y4mYetl8tTKVBOw7_yHoJJ1QUXWDtmFSyal9Dk2yEE3qNIeMiwboFgYX7j5tjVwAmhPHg0NJAA71NtVDpqx07a2am2NGky9LS3x3HTzaSC481W3En-1cQ5h00VJrrf7oY08PHArsBK7eqXEKhmYGcXnXkkt7ryl6ZzkiHWoKkzxrm83eyRR1rOOULBPRS1FcumAKw54mh023EwjqmRO0sUYZ9amtgegtR5TeozSlH9QgQs

Raven117

Gold Member
Been a while since I posted here. Reason being I had to stop working out for a while. Started getting REALLY bad migraines, no idea why I got them. Went to the hospital and they told me my left back muscle wasn't developing or being used, instead my neck had been compensating for it. I had days specifically for back workouts and while my neck was stiff afterwards I thought it was just normal, didn't realize that was happening. So I stopped weighted exercises for a while and focused on Physical Therapy. End of December I was told it was ok for me to use weights again but I had to decrease them. Now I'm back on my game and have actually seen gains in my back.

y4mYetl8tTKVBOw7_yHoJJ1QUXWDtmFSyal9Dk2yEE3qNIeMiwboFgYX7j5tjVwAmhPHg0NJAA71NtVDpqx07a2am2NGky9LS3x3HTzaSC481W3En-1cQ5h00VJrrf7oY08PHArsBK7eqXEKhmYGcXnXkkt7ryl6ZzkiHWoKkzxrm83eyRR1rOOULBPRS1FcumAKw54mh023EwjqmRO0sUYZ9amtgegtR5TeozSlH9QgQs
Sorry that happened to you. That's an interesting issue. Any reason what caused that?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Just checking in! How we all doing? Making gains? Living through the worst gym month of the year?

Noticed that the gyms are starting to thin out a little bit after the giant influx of "New Years Resolution" folks.

For me. Since November, I have gained about 6-8 pounds or so. Cut out cardio (for the time being...), lifting heaving three times a week. Squats, deadlifts, Bench, Shoulder Press. (filling in with some more auxiliary lifts). All the big boy compounds. Took about a month to really dial in where I was at strengthwise with good form. (My squats are sad :(...being 6'5" to do a squat with good form...woof...going down in weight). Deadlifts...for some reason are better.

Starting to feel pretty good!

Maybe widen your stance feet pointed out more etc?

Raven117

Gold Member
Maybe widen your stance feet pointed out more etc?
Yeah, did that. I think I finally have my form right to start trying to build up, but man...having to swallow some pride right there. Bench to an extent as well (have to keep the butt down....to do this, I have to drop the weight significantly).

tkscz

Sorry that happened to you. That's an interesting issue. Any reason what caused that?
I have scoliosis, meant to mention that. I got it when I was hit by a car as a kid. For the most part Doctor's knew about it but ignored it. Quoting my PCP, the physical therapist and chiropractor, the right side of my back prevents my spine from bending more, leaving nothing for the left side. So I naturally used my neck without noticing.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
I have scoliosis, meant to mention that. I got it when I was hit by a car as a kid. For the most part Doctor's knew about it but ignored it. Quoting my PCP, the physical therapist and chiropractor, the right side of my back prevents my spine from bending more, leaving nothing for the left side. So I naturally used my neck without noticing.
Wow goodness. Glad you were able to identify the issue and work on it!

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah, did that. I think I finally have my form right to start trying to build up, but man...having to swallow some pride right there. Bench to an extent as well (have to keep the butt down....to do this, I have to drop the weight significantly).

I'm in the same boat. Have ti build up from scratch. I never cared about the amount of weight I used. So no loss of pride. But yeah i can totally understand your view, sucks...

I'm just happy that I had a great physical therapist last year so I can start training again. Shoulder's almost there as well. 70% I'm guessing. Loved doing shoulders so I really miss working those haha.

And yeah add in small increments. Patience.

But you already know this 😅

Raven117

Gold Member
I'm in the same boat. Have ti build up from scratch. I never cared about the amount of weight I used. So no loss of pride. But yeah i can totally understand your view, sucks...

I'm just happy that I had a great physical therapist last year so I can start training again. Shoulder's almost there as well. 70% I'm guessing. Loved doing shoulders so I really miss working those haha.

And yeah add in small increments. Patience.

But you already know this 😅
Yeah. I don’t care too much about the weight on the bar as I want to do things the right way and safely. I’m very “fit” as I’ve been hitting the gym for quite awhile now, just never focused on raw strength in quite sometime.
Btw Raven117 Raven117 as Kazekage1981 Kazekage1981 mentioned a huuuuuge part in my rehabilitation was stretching. I could go into my story but let me say it REALLY helped me with my squats and deadlifts because of the increased mobility (duh) Not sure if this is helpful at all but just saying.
Couldn’t agree more. I do yoga around least two times a week and it feels awesome.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah the area around my piriformis was so tight that it radiated towards my knee. Thought my knees were fucked. Psychical therapist engaged everything knee related and no pain at all.

Certain hip movement and boom stabbing pain in my kneecap.

So yeah I had to do a mot of hip stretches and core excercises for my lower back pain which is almost completely gone. Knee pain as well.

Just amazing. So know that I have the ROM and basic core strength I'm at step 2 which is, of course, strengthening the muscles that made other overloaded which caused the constant dull aching pain.

Anyways good to hear and sorry for the wall of text.

And sorry for my English.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Tried CrossFit/WODs It’s mental. I kind of like it. But I’m not fit at all to do the way they want or at the speed. But I will go as it’s cheap for the year. (100€) Plus they have some great equipment and I can go up to three times a week.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Weapons of destruction?
Workouts of Doom?
Looked it up Workout of the Day

Just what ever they choose can be simple but they want it fast

Like 100 air squats in five minutes.

Or the class they all make us do kettlebells. Or weights.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Tried CrossFit/WODs It’s mental. I kind of like it. But I’m not fit at all to do the way they want or at the speed. But I will go as it’s cheap for the year. (100€) Plus they have some great equipment and I can go up to three times a week.
Be careful with this kind of stuff. If you are seeing progress, then good for you. But just be careful about doing Olympic lifts for speed. (I think they have toned this back a bit as so many folks were getting hurt).

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nevermind form. Quantity over quality.
Watch yourself. But you mentioned that already.
Yeah. I foolishly tired to do the 100 air squats I managed (barely) 80 in nearly five minutes not going to mental. I did 25. Break 25. Then went to 30 before my legs gave out and now they hurt and have hurt since the beginning off the week. Lol

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah. I foolishly tired to do the 100 air squats I managed (barely) 80 in nearly five minutes not going to mental. I did 25. Break 25. Then went to 30 before my legs gave out and now they hurt and have hurt since the beginning off the week. Lol

That sucks. Fuck peer pressure an go at your own pace while keeping form in mind and ofcourse push yourself when possible. Be safe lol.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
That sucks. Fuck peer pressure an go at your own pace while keeping form in mind and ofcourse push yourself when possible. Be safe lol.
Agreed. It’s not so much Peer pressure but me not admitting to myself how old and out of shape I am. If anything the whole class was encouraging to me. They were really helpful. They even said to take things slowly or change up an exercise and to even just keep marching on the spot to keep moving but not to go mental. Lol. That was on me.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes. Crossfit & rhabdo go together like carrots & peas.

Well rhabdo and peanutbutter do quite compliment each other.

Day 3 and I can finally stretch my arms without my biceps nagging like my pretend wife likes to do.

Did have to do some painfull hip stretches though. All is well.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Agreed. It’s not so much Peer pressure but me not admitting to myself how old and out of shape I am. If anything the whole class was encouraging to me. They were really helpful. They even said to take things slowly or change up an exercise and to even just keep marching on the spot to keep moving but not to go mental. Lol. That was on me.

Sure. At my age (wtf) I'm also like peer pressure? You do you youngling. But it's the inner "I got this" that'll get you haha. But better to have that and readjust and not have that inner motivation at all.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Is it normal to feel under the weather after a mental workout ?

I'm no pro (lies) but mental fatigue correlates directly to your physical wellbeing so yeah. Pretty normal. Generally speaking.

Most likely a combination at play.

Edit Hope you feel well soon.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
As in not all protein holds the same components (for lack of a better term) regarding quality and how the body uses/brakes those down, etc, etc?

Shit's got a lot to it

Take a listen

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
As in not all protein holds the same components (for lack of a better term) regarding quality and how the body uses/brakes those down, etc, etc?

Shit's got a lot to it

Take a listen

Yeah, but in developed countries, its not a HUGE issue.

Here is a dude that tries to do right by the science side of all of this.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I hate that thumbnail with a passion. But i will watch it tomorrow when taking a bath =)

I'm fucking proud. Great base progression overal (thank you Starting Strength) and deadlifts are going great 3 weeks in. Doing the 5x5.

5x40kg (including 20kg bar) 5x60kg, 5x80kg and 3x100kg.

Back to 60 and 80kg and work more on my squats. Overal great progression in minimal time with near good form. And thanks to consistently rehabilitating my infraspinatus muscle I was able to shoulder press again (bar only yet) need to get that hip flex and all in place.

But again...

3L6E1RO.jpg
g3RMrLo.jpg
N9qPr61.jpg

Yes I'm proud it took a shit ton of effort a month ago to even show up =P

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Going to incorporate walking lunges with bar next. Great after squatting. Used to do step in, step back lunges with 60kg. Let's see.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
I hate that thumbnail with a passion. But i will watch it tomorrow when taking a bath =)

I'm fucking proud. Great base progression overal (thank you Starting Strength) and deadlifts are going great 3 weeks in. Doing the 5x5.

5x40kg (including 20kg bar) 5x60kg, 5x80kg and 3x100kg.

Back to 60 and 80kg and work more on my squats. Overal great progression in minimal time with near good form. And thanks to consistently rehabilitating my infraspinatus muscle I was able to shoulder press again (bar only yet) need to get that hip flex and all in place.

But again...

3L6E1RO.jpg
g3RMrLo.jpg
N9qPr61.jpg

Yes I'm proud it took a shit ton of effort a month ago to even show up =P
He is a pretty good dude and thumbnail is not really what he is like.

Nice work! Tracks about where I am in terms of strength and the progression. Keep in mind that a lot of that is simply your nervous system waking up. I’ve found at 100kg deadlift is where I’m starting to really work for more with good form.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
He is a pretty good dude and thumbnail is not really what he is like.

Nice work! Tracks about where I am in terms of strength and the progression. Keep in mind that a lot of that is simply your nervous system waking up. I’ve found at 100kg deadlift is where I’m starting to really work for more with good form.

I believe that. It's a pet peeve (understated) of mine so had to mention it =P

Anyway, thanks man.

I'm still rehabilitating so I'm baby steps. That 100kg lift was more of a test haha. Did notice loss of grip strength in my left hand though.

I'm thinking about ordering shinguards

These

VTON4sk.jpg

Not that costly and second best in some review test I came across.

I don't mind opening my shins but rather the mess.

Today's session is gonna be bloody for sure lmao.

Last edited:
Top Bottom