• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

Raven117

Gold Member
so i wouldn’t say i’m fat, i’m basically average weight for my height and age id say. im 25, 5ft10inches/178cm and weight is 12.10 stone/76Kg or there about. my main problem is i feel fat skinny is probably the best way i can put it. the belly fat i have is more like lower gut, not a lot but definitely something i want to lose. the main goal is to just look naturally good so i’d like a flat stomach, nice defined chest with decent arms. i’d post pictures of myself to give a better idea of what i’m saying but not sure if i wanna do that really 😆.

also thanks, i’ve felt a lot better since i started roughly about a month ago so won’t be giving up on it!
No worries dude, no need to post pics. Yeah, it sounds like you aren't in the "carrying way too much weight, so the first few inches and fat will melt off" camp. Saying you are in the "skinny fat" camp is certainly descriptive of where you are (as that was exactly where I was...and many dudes).

Obviously, keep doing what you are doing. If you feel good doing it keep doing it! A little bit is better than nada. (This point gets lost way WAY too often when discussing fitness...but that must be balanced with you have to give your body a reason to change). That said, if you really want to achieve the goal you are looking for...you are going to have to include some weight training in there. (I hate it too).

You don't have to go crazy in there (which is also a point lost when discussing fitness), but to begin, I would incorporate some body weight stuff maybe before your walk. Push ups, abs, bench dips, body weight squats/split squats, lunges are great, but there are other exercises that may help you start feeling the flow on that.

Ultimately, a walk and cutting out junk food isn't going to be enough to get the flat stomach and bigger arms/chest. (I mean, maybe if you just have the genes for it). You will probably need to change that walk to some sort of HIIT training and incorporate some weights. Even an apartment gym with some dumbbells can get you well on your way.

Maiden (Im totally speaking for Maiden, but he is good) and a few others are happy to help point you to some beginner things to see if you can incorporate them in your routine and see where ya end up.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

No worries dude, no need to post pics. Yeah, it sounds like you aren't in the "carrying way too much weight, so the first few inches and fat will melt off" camp. Saying you are in the "skinny fat" camp is certainly descriptive of where you are (as that was exactly where I was...and many dudes).

Obviously, keep doing what you are doing. If you feel good doing it keep doing it! A little bit is better than nada. (This point gets lost way WAY too often when discussing fitness...but that must be balanced with you have to give your body a reason to change). That said, if you really want to achieve the goal you are looking for...you are going to have to include some weight training in there. (I hate it too).

You don't have to go crazy in there (which is also a point lost when discussing fitness), but to begin, I would incorporate some body weight stuff maybe before your walk. Push ups, abs, bench dips, body weight squats/split squats, lunges are great, but there are other exercises that may help you start feeling the flow on that.

Ultimately, a walk and cutting out junk food isn't going to be enough to get the flat stomach and bigger arms/chest. (I mean, maybe if you just have the genes for it). You will probably need to change that walk to some sort of HIIT training and incorporate some weights. Even an apartment gym with some dumbbells can get you well on your way.

Maiden (Im totally speaking for Maiden, but he is good) and a few others are happy to help point you to some beginner things to see if you can incorporate them in your routine and see where ya end up.
yeah i mean what i’ve been doing at the moment is push ups after work. i’ve been doing it 6 days a week and having sundays off. i do 50 decline, 50 normal push ups then about 20 close grip/diamond push ups as like a last set. as well as that, i do other body parts each day. so i’ll use 10kg dumbells and do curls and use 5kg ones for my triceps. another day i’ll do squats holding both 10kg dumbells for added weight, and do calve raises. sit ups/leg raises every 2 days (i alternate which routine i do).

also i have a bench which i got about 2 weeks ago, i was using the bench to do chest workouts with dumbells but wasn’t getting a chest pump even after watch endless videos and doing what they all said. posted here and someone suggested push ups which give me a much better chest pump, maybe it’s just in my head but i already feel like i can see results slightly since doing them. nothing major but yeah.

Raven117

Gold Member
yeah i mean what i’ve been doing at the moment is push ups after work. i’ve been doing it 6 days a week and having sundays off. i do 50 decline, 50 normal push ups then about 20 close grip/diamond push ups as like a last set. as well as that, i do other body parts each day. so i’ll use 10kg dumbells and do curls and use 5kg ones for my triceps. another day i’ll do squats holding both 10kg dumbells for added weight, and do calve raises. sit ups/leg raises every 2 days (i alternate which routine i do).

also i have a bench which i got about 2 weeks ago, i was using the bench to do chest workouts with dumbells but wasn’t getting a chest pump even after watch endless videos and doing what they all said. posted here and someone suggested push ups which give me a much better chest pump, maybe it’s just in my head but i already feel like i can see results slightly since doing them. nothing major but yeah.
You are doing great stuff! You will see some results from that!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I feel like I keep making progress and then my hip and/or knee get messed up. Ran 11 miles on Sept 4th and am pretty sure I got a shin splint on my right leg so I've been going super easy, doing walks everyday and trying out light runs here and there. I've been going super light and suddenly, this morning, I get this weird pain in my left hip that I've never felt before. My whole leg has a slight dull pain. I'm not usually one to go to the doctor but at what point do I seek a medical opinion? Ugh. Gonna give it another week and see how it goes. In the meantime, yoga yoga yoga.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I feel like I keep making progress and then my hip and/or knee get messed up. Ran 11 miles on Sept 4th and am pretty sure I got a shin splint on my right leg so I've been going super easy, doing walks everyday and trying out light runs here and there. I've been going super light and suddenly, this morning, I get this weird pain in my left hip that I've never felt before. My whole leg has a slight dull pain. I'm not usually one to go to the doctor but at what point do I seek a medical opinion? Ugh. Gonna give it another week and see how it goes. In the meantime, yoga yoga yoga.
I would strongly suggest seeking medical guidance. If I had the money bro, I would be visiting my physical therapists three times if not four times maybe even five per week in an effort to get past my physical issues. There’s nothing more beneficial than building with the best and being able to ask questions that lead to answers coming from professionals who know the body so well. They can lead you to books, studies, and all kinds of treatments and suggestions that will help you get to where you need to be. Sometimes a solution to a problem will elude you. And it’s not until you get with the right doctor and physical therapist(s) that things start to get better. I’ve been down this road many, many times. I always think I can do something myself and use my own knowledge and experience to get past something but I fail almost every single time on my own until I see the problem to its end with therapists. One person is almost never going to be enough to conquer a problems and stay above it for good. It takes an incredible wealth of information and know-how to fix an injury and then avoid any injury in the future because so many things in this life can and will go against you if you aren’t all in on a mission to get well and remain well

100% I would say try to resolve the issue with professionals. One of the biggest mistakes in my life to date is thinking repeatedly and even to this day, that I can and will be able to handle injuries by myself when that is often not the case. And it’s a miserable mistake to make. Don’t allow yourself to end up suffering because of a refusal to accept help. It’s a painful, painful mistake every time. Physical therapists can help you do a world of good for your body when it comes to overcoming injuries. The excellent ones have countless exercises and variations of them to help; and it never ceases to amaze me what they know and have for people in order to help them restore and heal trouble areas and the entire body

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I would strongly suggest seeking medical guidance. If I had the money bro, I would be visiting my physical therapists three times if not four times maybe even five per week in an effort to get past my physical issues. There’s nothing more beneficial than building with the best and being able to ask questions that lead to answers coming from professionals who know the body so well. They can lead you to books, studies, and all kinds of treatments and suggestions that will help you get to where you need to be. Sometimes a solution to a problem will elude you. And it’s not until you get with the right doctor and physical therapist(s) that things start to get better. I’ve been down this road many, many times. I always think I can do something myself and use my own knowledge and experience to get past something but I fail almost every single time on my own until I see the problem to its end with therapists. One person is almost never going to be enough to conquer a problems and stay above it for good. It takes an incredible wealth of information and know-how to fix an injury and then avoid any injury in the future because so many things in this life can and will go against you if you aren’t all in on a mission to get well and remain well

100% I would say try to resolve the issue with professionals. One of the biggest mistakes in my life to date is thinking repeatedly and even to this day, that I can and will be able to handle injuries by myself when that is often not the case. And it’s a miserable mistake to make. Don’t allow yourself to end up suffering because of a refusal to accept help. It’s a painful, painful mistake every time. Physical therapists can help you do a world of good for your body when it comes to overcoming injuries. The excellent ones have countless exercises and variations of them to help; and it never ceases to amaze me what they know and have for people in order to help them restore and heal trouble areas and the entire body
I've been a bit depressed today and this made me feel much better. Thank you, my friend.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I've been a bit depressed today and this made me feel much better. Thank you, my friend.
Anytime bro. I'm in the same boat. Had a great stretch where I thought I was 75% out of a hole and then after workout yesterday guess I just did a little too much with tissues that weren't properly ready (muscle imbalances, stiffness, etc.) and now I am at that point where it feels like I might have pulled something, could just be a lot of inflammation, or could be full on injury? It's hard to tell these days after you've fucked something up so many times; it just becomes different and more complicated to assess things like injuries

There is always that day of sadness when the pain and inflammation and thought of pain injury are on the mind heavily that first day. But my attitude is that there is an opportunity for me to learn more and be better this time around. Can't even begin to tell you how much failure, blood, sweat, and tears have gone into the regimen. But this is what I live for. I can take a loss. IMO it's not even a loss but it's my Father telling me I've made a mistake and there are some things I need learn

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Not sure how much overlap or interest there will be in this thread, but one of my favorite Rogan guests, Andrew Huberman, was on my favorite skateboarding podcast, The Nine Club. There's lots of SB talk in the beginning but they start to dive into science & wellness after the start. I'm just barely into it, but worth a watch if either of those interest you.

RavageX

Having a hard time staying motivated lately. I always try to do something no matter how long of a day or tired I am, but had a bit of illness that put me out for a little bit.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Having a hard time staying motivated lately. I always try to do something no matter how long of a day or tired I am, but had a bit of illness that put me out for a little bit.
Try forcing your workout as early in the day as possible. Gets it over with, plus you can ride the high of having kicked ass for the day already. No guilt then for lounging about.

If you can find a way to gamify the process, it can be its own incentive. Plenty of activity trackers do this these days, if you have the spare change. My personal tracker of choice is the Apple Watch but Garmin, Fitbit, etc. all operate under the guise of exercise as a game & you win by showing up everyday. You can do this without a tracker.

Here's a list (random search, I'm sure there are more and better ones out there):

Here's some additional details on how & why gamification makes sense in the wellness space:

RavageX

Try forcing your workout as early in the day as possible. Gets it over with, plus you can ride the high of having kicked ass for the day already. No guilt then for lounging about.

If you can find a way to gamify the process, it can be its own incentive. Plenty of activity trackers do this these days, if you have the spare change. My personal tracker of choice is the Apple Watch but Garmin, Fitbit, etc. all operate under the guise of exercise as a game & you win by showing up everyday. You can do this without a tracker.

Here's a list (random search, I'm sure there are more and better ones out there):

Here's some additional details on how & why gamification makes sense in the wellness space:
Advice is much appreciated!

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
you should be doing a fuck ton of foam rolling to fix these issues, not yoga.

for shin splints in most cases you need to be rolling your calves and learn to stretch your anterior tibialis. there are other methods depending on the source of your problem, but for most people this will fix it. get a lacrosse ball for your calves. trust me

you need to figure out what's going on with your hip. are you able to reproduce the pain? where is the pain exactly in your leg?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
you should be doing a fuck ton of foam rolling to fix these issues, not yoga.

for shin splints in most cases you need to be rolling your calves and learn to stretch your anterior tibialis. there are other methods depending on the source of your problem, but for most people this will fix it. get a lacrosse ball for your calves. trust me

you need to figure out what's going on with your hip. are you able to reproduce the pain? where is the pain exactly in your leg?
From using Dr. Google, it seems to be an IT band issue. I say this because the symptoms match closely. The causes are also inline with my training thus far: only running on one side of the road (grading causes one leg to be lower than the other), moving from treadmill to outdoor running too quickly, and too many miles too quickly. Add in that my hip abductor muscles probably aren’t the best and it seems likely to be IT band.

I’m going to pick up distance through walking and give myself another few weeks before I start running again. In that time I’ll keep up with daily yoga, adding in stretches specific to the IT band and go back into strength training. So far that hasn’t triggered or exacerbated the problem.
I’m hellbent on getting my Apple Watch fitness goal for the month. Because I took a week recovery it means I need to get in some miles via walking. I have something like 1,200 calories to burn each day until the end of the month to nail it. Unfortunately I’m going to a conference next week so I’ll need some cushion room to make up before Monday.

Cutty Flam

Banned
From using Dr. Google, it seems to be an IT band issue. I say this because the symptoms match closely. The causes are also inline with my training thus far: only running on one side of the road (grading causes one leg to be lower than the other), moving from treadmill to outdoor running too quickly, and too many miles too quickly. Add in that my hip abductor muscles probably aren’t the best and it seems likely to be IT band.

I’m going to pick up distance through walking and give myself another few weeks before I start running again. In that time I’ll keep up with daily yoga, adding in stretches specific to the IT band and go back into strength training. So far that hasn’t triggered or exacerbated the problem.
I’m hellbent on getting my Apple Watch fitness goal for the month. Because I took a week recovery it means I need to get in some miles via walking. I have something like 1,200 calories to burn each day until the end of the month to nail it. Unfortunately I’m going to a conference next week so I’ll need some cushion room to make up before Monday.
I had a similar issue when I used to run a lot, IT band got tight and eventually injured my left knee. I remember foam rolling for the first time after that injury, and it was helpful. The stretches over time were what fixed the issue for me I think along with overall leg strengthening. And a minute or less of foamrolling the IT band alleviated a lot of tension and probably many adhesions there as well

I was actually thinking about starting a workout journal on top of tracking my workouts. Sort of to document everything and see defeating patterns as well as to record beneficial ideas, thoughts, and any additions that might help to reach goals faster. Jotting down little tips and information that may lead to better habits and such. I think that could help a lot of athletes actually if they’re willing to put time into that sort of thing

By the way Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage ,

Try doing the hip flexor stretch that looks like a relaxed lunge on the ground, and then raising the opposite arm from your lead leg while in this stretch, raising your arm up and then slightly bend to the side of lead leg. That might alleviate some tension in your IT Band area even though it doesn’t necessarily stretch it

If I have IT band tension my routine is usually I’ll foam roll a bit after a warm up, maybe 30-45 seconds and I tend to just try to get the upper IT band to mid IT band area, then stretch ever muscle in the legs for a bit like 30 seconds, and then the following days it’s just a matter of strengthening. Sometimes I’ll get a little lazy and miss certain exercises that strengthen the ankles, direct glute max exercises, or will neglect the calves for a session or two but ai’ve found that it usually results in pain somewhere or discomfort and dysfunction kind of rapidly somewhere in body. There can’t be many if any weak spots if you want to remain healthy in pain free. That’s my experience, every time I neglect exercises or any part of a complete routine, it comes back to haunt. I think that’s just how it goes. For the body to be fully functional everything needs to be worked essentially. That’s why I believe full body workouts are probably the best option, but that’s just me

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I had a similar issue when I used to run a lot, IT band got tight and eventually injured my left knee. I remember foam rolling for the first time after that injury, and it was helpful. The stretches over time were what fixed the issue for me I think along with overall leg strengthening. And a minute or less of foamrolling the IT band alleviated a lot of tension and probably many adhesions there as well

I was actually thinking about starting a workout journal on top of tracking my workouts. Sort of to document everything and see defeating patterns as well as to record beneficial ideas, thoughts, and any additions that might help to reach goals faster. Jotting down little tips and information that may lead to better habits and such. I think that could help a lot of athletes actually if they’re willing to put time into that sort of thing

By the way Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage ,

Try doing the hip flexor stretch that looks like a relaxed lunge on the ground, and then raising the opposite arm from your lead leg while in this stretch, raising your arm up and then slightly bend to the side of lead leg. That might alleviate some tension in your IT Band area even though it doesn’t necessarily stretch it

If I have IT band tension my routine is usually I’ll foam roll a bit after a warm up, maybe 30-45 seconds and I tend to just try to get the upper IT band to mid IT band area, then stretch ever muscle in the legs for a bit like 30 seconds, and then the following days it’s just a matter of strengthening. Sometimes I’ll get a little lazy and miss certain exercises that strengthen the ankles, direct glute max exercises, or will neglect the calves for a session or two but ai’ve found that it usually results in pain somewhere or discomfort and dysfunction kind of rapidly somewhere in body. There can’t be many if any weak spots if you want to remain healthy in pain free. That’s my experience, every time I neglect exercises or any part of a complete routine, it comes back to haunt. I think that’s just how it goes. For the body to be fully functional everything needs to be worked essentially. That’s why I believe full body workouts are probably the best option, but that’s just me
Your input is always appreciated! I do like the idea of a workout journal. I may just steal the idea for myself.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Your input is always appreciated! I do like the idea of a workout journal. I may just steal the idea for myself.
Thanks! I wish I never would have taken a break from this thread tbh. Feels like a lot of opportunity was missed to sharpen the mind and build with others bouncing back ideas. And instead of being obsessive here ITT, my obsession with video games only became stronger in its place lol

Gonna try to hit upperbody kinda hard today and hopefully avoid aggravating any mending areas that still need some time off to heal

Raven117

Gold Member
Been dealing with a pestering injury myself.

Don't know if its a slightly pulled hamstring, "runners knee", or lower back issue. But its been pretty painful if I sit down with my legs bent for too long. I have about 3 weeks left on this program I am on. After than, I need to take some real time off to rest.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Going to re-introduce cold showers as well as farmer walks into the routine again

I think for the cold showers, I'll try for at least twice a week. I'm going to try to do them the day after a workout to accelerate the recovery process. In the past, I used to go for one every day but that was a bit excessive IMO. My approach this time around will be more moderate, and I think eventually I'll settle with three per week. It does seem to help me with overall metabolism, mood, fat burning, energy levels and pain management

Farmer carries are still one of my favorites, and I don't know what it is yet bio-mechanically speaking but my joints feel so much better and alleviated from stiffness when I have them in my routine. Without them, there's usually a bit more discomfort and pain in the arms or rotator cuff, traps etc. upper back in general than when I am performing farmer carries

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I’ve got 2 hours down on the treadmill with about another to go. Super close to completing the Sept challenge for Apple Heath. Target is burning 26,400 calories for the month. Considering I took about 5 days off I’m happy to still hit the goal.

I am definitely hitting up my doctor next week to get my hips looked at. Even with no running for several weeks, the pain is still there.

Realised I haven't posted in here since I was last around in March.

I have been going to the gym since then. Taking little baby steps at the start, and have managed to start going a 2-3 times a week now. At first I was really scared because I felt like everybody was looking at me in there.

I slowly realised that people are just minding their own business and working out, I started to feel a lot better after that. It feels good to push my body a bit and my self confidence and social skills have been improving. I went to the Doctor in March and brought up the idea and slowly I've been pushing myself towards it.

So just wanted to share this.

Last edited:

T8SC

Two charts I'm currently working with:

vo2-max-norms-men.jpg

final+watt+chart.jpg

Race season is over for 2021.

Winter training season is here.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
How many sets per muscle goupdo you guys do each workout?

I've always been going in like crazy in the past and lately skimmed it down to 20 sets per workout (5x5 sets, 3x4 sets and 1x3 sets) for the main muscle groups and 12 sets for the smaller ones. Now I read up that 20 sets is like the maximum you should do per week and it should be more like 12-16 sets. I don't think I acutally EVER did as little sets per week. That seems like a piece of cake to me where I won't even break a sweat.

Ever since I decreased my training volume, humped on low carb and count calories again I've been quite happy with my progress after it has been stalling for so long but decreasing the workout volume even further? I'm not really sure here. My new workout is already super boring to me and doing even less is not really appealing to me. But as I'm getting older my thinking is that perhaps my body just needs it.

SpiceRacz

I've always been going in like crazy in the past and lately skimmed it down to 20 sets per workout (5x5 sets, 3x4 sets and 1x3 sets) for the main muscle groups and 12 sets for the smaller ones. Now I read up that 20 sets is like the maximum you should do per week and it should be more like 12-16 sets. I don't think I acutally EVER did as little sets per week. That seems like a piece of cake to me where I won't even break a sweat.

Ever since I decreased my training volume, humped on low carb and count calories again I've been quite happy with my progress after it has been stalling for so long but decreasing the workout volume even further? I'm not really sure here. My new workout is already super boring to me and doing even less is not really appealing to me. But as I'm getting older my thinking is that perhaps my body just needs it.

Around 10 - 15 sets total depending on the muscle group, per workout. Legs, I usually hit around 20. My main focus is intensity. I try not to overthink any of it. I'm not a bodybuilder or anything.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Last year I was performing like 3-5 warm up sets, 6-10 working sets per compound lift

This year I dialed it down a lot but now it’s around 3-4 warm up sets and try to limit myself myself to 4 working sets max these days. I’d love to up the number but it’s just not a wise choice at this point. I’ll increase it to five and up working sets if I manage to fix some injuries I’ve been dealing with

Raven117

Gold Member
Realised I haven't posted in here since I was last around in March.

I have been going to the gym since then. Taking little baby steps at the start, and have managed to start going a 2-3 times a week now. At first I was really scared because I felt like everybody was looking at me in there.

I slowly realised that people are just minding their own business and working out, I started to feel a lot better after that. It feels good to push my body a bit and my self confidence and social skills have been improving. I went to the Doctor in March and brought up the idea and slowly I've been pushing myself towards it.

So just wanted to share this.
This is awesome. Good work dude.

As for the sets. That's interesting. It kinda comes down to what works for each individual person and what you are trying to achieve. (Strenght? Size? Overall Athleticism)

I tend to do pretty well with the whole standard 3x12 working as heavy as I can and failing between 10-12. I may pyramid the big compound movements to 12x10x8x6x4x12 or do the simple 5x5 if im just going for strength.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Not sure what it is… The new bed and me finally getting a good nights sleep, calorie counting or going low carb in my diet but the progress I have made in the past month is blowing me the fuck away. Approaching my best physique from back in 2017 in great steps. Still can‘t hardly believe it. You guys can‘t believe how good it is to finally see my training pay off again (although I do sooooooo much less then I used to, it‘s crazy… I‘m at like 20% training intensity compared to from before, I shit you not).

I do horribly miss my carbs though but I guess I just have to deal with the fact that my digestion can‘t cope with em. Ever since I‘m below 100 g, I experience no more bloat and also my skin stays fairly clean. It‘s kinda fascinating to watch my body react. Every time time I eat even a protein bar (usually on weekends) I almost immediately get pimples on my arms... A bloody protein bar… Shit, looking I‘m never going to taste bread and rice again. :messenger_loudly_crying:

SpiceRacz

Not sure what it is… The new bed and me finally getting a good nights sleep, calorie counting or going low carb in my diet but the progress I have made in the past month is blowing me the fuck away. Approaching my best physique from back in 2017 in great steps. Still can‘t hardly believe it. You guys can‘t believe how good it is to finally see my training pay off again (although I do sooooooo much less then I used to, it‘s crazy… I‘m at like 20% training intensity compared to from before, I shit you not).

I do horribly miss my carbs though but I guess I just have to deal with the fact that my digestion can‘t cope with em. Ever since I‘m below 100 g, I experience no more bloat and also my skin stays fairly clean. It‘s kinda fascinating to watch my body react. Every time time I eat even a protein bar (usually on weekends) I almost immediately get pimples on my arms... A bloody protein bar… Shit, looking I‘m never going to taste bread and rice again. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Idk why, but around 100 grams seems like the sweet spot. You can be satiated and still train with some intensity. I try to get most of my carbs in pre and post workout.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
50 is super low. Are you counting total carbs or net carbs?
What‘s the difference? There is no distinction on myfitnesspal. I just try to go as low as possible and that is usually around 50g - and like I said that is mostly just veggies. Can‘t imagine going full keto, which is below 20 g… damn…. I‘m basically eating nuts, fish and cheese all day long. 2700 cals at the moment, increasing by 100 cals per week until I start gaining weight. Currently it seems that around 2500 to 2700 is my maintenance. But I‘m getting more shredded by the day. Loving it.

SpiceRacz

What‘s the difference? There is no distinction on myfitnesspal. I just try to go as low as possible and that is usually around 50g - and like I said that is mostly just veggies. Can‘t imagine going full keto, which is below 20 g… damn…. I‘m basically eating nuts, fish and cheese all day long. 2700 cals at the moment, increasing by 100 cals per week until I start gaining weight. Currently it seems that around 2500 to 2700 is my maintenance. But I‘m getting more shredded by the day. Loving it.

Fiber isn't digested by the body so it's usually subtracted from the total carbs. That's why most keto foods put the net carbs on the label. Either way, sounds like what you're doing is working well.

manfestival

Not using weight as a true measurement and going more for clothing and personal feel for things. Mid June I began a workout plan with a trainer and I went from 225 pounds down to 191 as of a day ago. I have some before and after pictures that I just uploaded onto social media but was feeling too lazy to edit my face out of them for here. I will say, I am currently in the best shape of my life and have so much more energy than I recall having for the past who knows how many years. Been strict on my food consumption in the sense of hitting my daily target macros along with the workouts my trainer gives me.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Fiber isn't digested by the body so it's usually subtracted from the total carbs. That's why most keto foods put the net carbs on the label. Either way, sounds like what you're doing is working well.
Really? Didn't know. In this case I guess I'm probably on keto by now. Wasn't my intention but as you say... It seems to work. So what the hell. More peanut butter for me I guess. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

T8SC

So my first proper Winter training session on the Wattbike, at 21:00 ... not exactly the best time to train but such is life. Busy times.

Anyway, for a first proper session, not too bad, especially considering it was at 21:00:

Duration - 30:00 mins
Average Power - 331 watts
Peak Power - 694 watts
Force L/R - 51 / 49 %
Fmax Angle - 114 / 123 degrees
Distance - 22.25km (13.8 miles)
Average Speed - 44.5 km/h (27.6mph)

Jsisto

Hey all! I’ve been on a strictly progressive body weight training program(using the progression outline in the book Convict Conditioning) for over a year now and have had some incredible results. Push-ups, pull ups, body weight squats, hanging leg raises, bridges, handstand push-ups and dead hangs. Been immensely satisfying working through different progressions and have added weight vests to some to push it further, Any other body weight guys?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
On my de-load week right now and lost a whooping kilo within a week compared to last Saturday despite raising my caloric intake by 100. I don‘t get it.

Anyway, I‘m on 2900 cals on training days and 2700 cals on off days currently. My plan is to bump it up to at least 4000 in the coming weeks but at this rate I‘m prolly looking at 5000 before I start to gain weight… Well, at least on low carb it ain‘t too hard to bump up those calories.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just reading Arnold‘s biography. Man, the dude is such a bullshitter.

According to the book he trained like 6 hours a day (spread over 3 training session) 6 times a week around the time of his first 2 Mr. Universe titles, before he started experimenting with steroids. Sure mate…

Also, his comment about steroids basically just adding tons of water weight and him only doing them 8 weeks before a contest is almost comical…

I mean, I can unterstand why he isn‘t too open about the usage given his idol status but he‘s straight up lying in the book.

Jsisto

Recently got to the point where I can do proper, full bodyweight bridges and handstand push-ups comfortably. Bridges in particular are incredible, great for your back and something I feel everyone should work towards, even if you don’t normally mess with bodyweight stuff. So many benefits.

Top Bottom