• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For the past few months I've been on a strict medically controlled diet, and due to my weight when I started (and heart condition) my doctor ordered no strenuous physical activity outside of walking 25 minutes or less a day / generally walking around.

I'm happy to report that I've lost over 30 pounds, and I've been once again cleared for light exercise - which I'd really like to do to help maximize my future weight loss as I have another 65 pounds to lose before I reach my "goal weight". After not having worked out in more than six months, it's really hard to get myself motivated and even harder still that I'm not allowed to "go all out" with my workouts which was my usual way of doing things before. I have quite a bit of home gym equipment so for now my daily routine is looking like 10 minutes of body resistance (push ups, sit ups), 30 minutes on the treadmill at a light jog or walking, and 20 minutes on the rowing machine at a pretty low intensity. Anything more than that and I'm pushing the boundaries of "light exercise". But, I'm getting there and hope to use this to help make even more progress faster.

My ultimate goal, as I've posted here before, is to be able to run a marathon. I'm hoping that 2022 will be my year.

Raven117

Gold Member
For the past few months I've been on a strict medically controlled diet, and due to my weight when I started (and heart condition) my doctor ordered no strenuous physical activity outside of walking 25 minutes or less a day / generally walking around.

I'm happy to report that I've lost over 30 pounds, and I've been once again cleared for light exercise - which I'd really like to do to help maximize my future weight loss as I have another 65 pounds to lose before I reach my "goal weight". After not having worked out in more than six months, it's really hard to get myself motivated and even harder still that I'm not allowed to "go all out" with my workouts which was my usual way of doing things before. I have quite a bit of home gym equipment so for now my daily routine is looking like 10 minutes of body resistance (push ups, sit ups), 30 minutes on the treadmill at a light jog or walking, and 20 minutes on the rowing machine at a pretty low intensity. Anything more than that and I'm pushing the boundaries of "light exercise". But, I'm getting there and hope to use this to help make even more progress faster.

My ultimate goal, as I've posted here before, is to be able to run a marathon. I'm hoping that 2022 will be my year.
Absolutely great progress!!!

Raven117

Gold Member
I feel I eat enough calories and have a scoop of protein after every workout.

Thanks!
Do you feel you eat enough, or do you KNOW you eat enough?

Also, you probably need to put in some movements than just the 5 big compounds. (Not a ton).

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Beautiful work brother. You can and absolutely will crush it in 2022!

T8SC

Xmas Eve sesh.

kzpVK3X.jpg

Raven117

Gold Member
Hope everyone is off to a great 2022!

Just remember if you are new to the gym:
- Don't try and do too much...You will burn out. Start small and begin working it in your daily routine.
- Stick with it for at least 90 days before you throw your hands up and give up.
- If you goal is to lose weight, fix your nutrition. Don't go nuts, but start being mindful of this a day at a time.

Last edited:

manfestival

anybody else swole as a mofo?
Nope. My goal is to be closer to the Spartans of 300 than to be super swole. However, I need more functionality because of my physical activities. I am for the first time fairly close to this goal too.

Oh so an update. I started working out with my trainer back mid June. Now we are here January. I never really tracked my weight but I was like 218-216 when I started. Gonna go weigh myself tomorrow morning at the gym but last week I was weighing at 173 midday with water and food in my system. I get compliments all of the time and EVERYONE acknowledges my transformation. This is the best feeling ever. Loving the attention I receive these days. Also as far as clothing goes I was wearing L but sometimes closer to XL since a smaller L would be too tight. Also wore size 36 but under my waist and not on it. As of today, I prefer to wear a slim fitted M and can maybe wear smaller but it gets too tight on my chest but not belly. Pants I am wearing well... have been wearing 32 for about a month but I am starting to think I might be size 30.

Raven117

Gold Member
Nope. My goal is to be closer to the Spartans of 300 than to be super swole. However, I need more functionality because of my physical activities. I am for the first time fairly close to this goal too.

Oh so an update. I started working out with my trainer back mid June. Now we are here January. I never really tracked my weight but I was like 218-216 when I started. Gonna go weigh myself tomorrow morning at the gym but last week I was weighing at 173 midday with water and food in my system. I get compliments all of the time and EVERYONE acknowledges my transformation. This is the best feeling ever. Loving the attention I receive these days. Also as far as clothing goes I was wearing L but sometimes closer to XL since a smaller L would be too tight. Also wore size 36 but under my waist and not on it. As of today, I prefer to wear a slim fitted M and can maybe wear smaller but it gets too tight on my chest but not belly. Pants I am wearing well... have been wearing 32 for about a month but I am starting to think I might be size 30.
This is awesome!

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
If only it was easier. I have been strictly watching what I eat for about 6 months again, I work out a lot and deffo gained muscle. But I just can't get rid of the fat. At 110kg (198cm) now and around there my body just wants to stay put. And I should be about 95-100kg. Q_Q When will science help us out?!

boi the guys in 300 were swole af give em some credit

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If only it was easier. I have been strictly watching what I eat for about 6 months again, I work out a lot and deffo gained muscle. But I just can't get rid of the fat. At 110kg (198cm) now and around there my body just wants to stay put. And I should be about 95-100kg. Q_Q When will science help us out?!
Have you tried doing a massive shit. Like really massive. ?

Raven117

Gold Member
I hear you. You probably are at the stage where you need to go beyond "watching what you eat" and really start putting pen to paper on calories in.

I too have plateaued on the fat loss. I look good, but have been about the same for three months. I'm still gaining some muscle that is offsetting the fat loss weight, but not really enough.

I have shaken things up over the past week....switching routines, being more careful about my nutrition...all that. I think it is working as I was a few pounds lighter this morning and I think my trend is down.

IMO, the beginning of working out is easy. Gains and fat loss come quick...and any amount of consistency will see the fat melt off. Its when you are really starting to drill down into the hard fat areas where there is seemingly no change for months is where it really challenges your patience.

manfestival

Alright so my trainer was asking me for progress pictures. I took some. I did some editing to this image and realized I made a mistake. The first image was taken in July. Unfortunately no picture from my first day but I am sure you all can imagine that I was fatter. Though I did weigh myself at that time and that number is at least accurate. Also the camera seems to not catch small details like vascularity(also my bicep looks mad weak in the photo compared to RL, whatever) but I wanted to share this with yall and my fellow fitness chads in all circles.

Progress_Edited.png

Raven117

Gold Member
Alright so my trainer was asking me for progress pictures. I took some. I did some editing to this image and realized I made a mistake. The first image was taken in July. Unfortunately no picture from my first day but I am sure you all can imagine that I was fatter. Though I did weigh myself at that time and that number is at least accurate. Also the camera seems to not catch small details like vascularity(also my bicep looks mad weak in the photo compared to RL, whatever) but I wanted to share this with yall and my fellow fitness chads in all circles.

Progress_Edited.png
You should be damn proud.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Good news for me.

Compatibility of Concurrent Aerobic and Strength Training for Skeletal Muscle Size and Function: An Updated Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis​

Abstract​

Background​

Both athletes and recreational exercisers often perform relatively high volumes of aerobic and strength training simultaneously. However, the compatibility of these two distinct training modes remains unclear.

Objective​

This systematic review assessed the compatibility of concurrent aerobic and strength training compared with strength training alone, in terms of adaptations in muscle function (maximal and explosive strength) and muscle mass. Subgroup analyses were conducted to examine the influence of training modality, training type, exercise order, training frequency, age, and training status.

Methods​

A systematic literature search was conducted according to the PRISMA (Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses) guidelines. PubMed/MEDLINE, ISI Web of Science, Embase, CINAHL, SPORTDiscus, and Scopus were systematically searched (12 August 2020, updated on 15 March 2021). Eligibility criteria were as follows. Population: healthy adults of any sex and age; Intervention: supervised concurrent aerobic and strength training for at least 4 weeks; Comparison: identical strength training prescription, with no aerobic training; Outcome: maximal strength, explosive strength, and muscle hypertrophy.

Results​

A total of 43 studies were included. The estimated standardised mean differences (SMD) based on the random-effects model were − 0.06 (95% confidence interval [CI] − 0.20 to 0.09; p = 0.446), − 0.28 (95% CI − 0.48 to − 0.08; p = 0.007), and − 0.01 (95% CI − 0.16 to 0.18; p = 0.919) for maximal strength, explosive strength, and muscle hypertrophy, respectively. Attenuation of explosive strength was more pronounced when concurrent training was performed within the same session (p = 0.043) than when sessions were separated by at least 3 h (p > 0.05). No significant effects were found for the other moderators, i.e. type of aerobic training (cycling vs. running), frequency of concurrent training (> 5 vs. < 5 weekly sessions), training status (untrained vs. active), and mean age (< 40 vs. > 40 years).

Conclusion​

Concurrent aerobic and strength training does not compromise muscle hypertrophy and maximal strength development. However, explosive strength gains may be attenuated, especially when aerobic and strength training are performed in the same session. These results appeared to be independent of the type of aerobic training, frequency of concurrent training, training status, and age.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member

Conclusion​

Concurrent aerobic and strength training does not compromise muscle hypertrophy and maximal strength development. However, explosive strength gains may be attenuated, especially when aerobic and strength training are performed in the same session. These results appeared to be independent of the type of aerobic training, frequency of concurrent training, training status, and age.
LOL. What a wordy of saying....

Ughhh...you lift heavy and aerobic heavy...you may get too tired to really push it in the same session.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
So do you need protein powder or not? I eat healthy and try to eat a lot of protein. But I'm tall and 110 kilos/240 pounds. Am I screwing myself for not taking supplements? I work out a lot and have quit some muscle already, but it just feels after all these years I should have more.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So do you need protein powder or not? I eat healthy and try to eat a lot of protein. But I'm tall and 110 kilos/240 pounds. Am I screwing myself for not taking supplements? I work out a lot and have quit some muscle already, but it just feels after all these years I should have more.
Try it out and see.

SpiceRacz

Depends on your protein intake. Supplements are there to fill in the gaps.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I'm 240 lbs and I lift heavy, and there is no way I'd be at my strength and muscle mass levels without lots of protein powder. Depends on your goals, but if your goals include getting significantly stronger, then I'd say it's a necessity.

Hmm guess I fucked up, been doing it for so long with just regular food.

Rossco EZ

you haven’t messed up, nothing wrong with what you’ve been doing. if you wanna get bigger though then of course the supplements will help.
if you are going to continue eating the same which i assume is good/healthy food + the supplements you’ll see gains 👍🏻

Well, it doesn't mean you've fucked up, but let's check this out.

The standard level for "I've begun taking my strength training seriously" is usually "1 plate, 2 plates, 3 plates, 4 plates." That means a standing overhead press of 135 lbs, flat bench of 225 lbs, back squat of 315 lbs, and deadlift of 405 lbs, all done with good form and no aids like knee or elbow wraps, powerlifting suits, etc. And then the standard for "I've started to become strong" is 2 plates, 3 plates, 4 plates, 5 plates. So, 225 lbs overhead press (although this is probably a bit heavy, as OHP doesn't go up as fast as the other lifts), 315 bench, 405 back squat, and 495 deadlift. Again, all with good form and without any lifting aids.

I'm 46 years old and I'm past the second standard here, and when I was younger I was well past them in some cases. No way I'd of done that without protein supplements. If you've met them without using protein powder, then congrats! That's a win for sure. But if you haven't hit them yet, then that's what to aim for.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Well, it doesn't mean you've fucked up, but let's check this out.

The standard level for "I've begun taking my strength training seriously" is usually "1 plate, 2 plates, 3 plates, 4 plates." That means a standing overhead press of 135 lbs, flat bench of 225 lbs, back squat of 315 lbs, and deadlift of 405 lbs, all done with good form and no aids like knee or elbow wraps, powerlifting suits, etc. And then the standard for "I've started to become strong" is 2 plates, 3 plates, 4 plates, 5 plates. So, 225 lbs overhead press (although this is probably a bit heavy, as OHP doesn't go up as fast as the other lifts), 315 bench, 405 back squat, and 495 deadlift. Again, all with good form and without any lifting aids.

I'm 46 years old and I'm past the second standard here, and when I was younger I was well past them in some cases. No way I'd of done that without protein supplements. If you've met them without using protein powder, then congrats! That's a win for sure. But if you haven't hit them yet, then that's what to aim for.

Will look into supplements thanks. Im talking to a dietician soon anyway.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
So because I once again found myself having troubles to fall asleep at night I thought I might make a drastic change and move my training from the afternoon to the morning. Perhaps not a biggy for most of you but keep in mind that work around here starts at 7:15 am so in order to hit the gym I have to get up early.... very early. So at first I thought I try it on the weekend and be at the gym at 6 am. Then at Friday last week I was there at fuggen 5 am.

Verdict? Bloody amazing! I'm in love right there. Get up at 4 am, breakfast, coffee and then a pre-workout + a can of Monster on my way to the gym. Holy shit! Broke most of my PRs already.

Everyone struggling with training sessions later in the day. Try it. It's amazing. My personal plan is from now on to hit the gym after work on Tuesday and Wedneyday and then in the morning from Friday to Sunday. From what I gathered both training times (morning and evening) have hormonal benefits and this way I can assure to hit all muscles on both times.

Man, I love this sport.

Also, after reading David Sinclair's book I started incorporating fasting into my off days. Ultimate goal is to Fast on Moday + Thursday (off days), keto on Tuesday + Wednesday (my strenght days) and then carb up on Friday to Sunday. Let's see how it works out. :)

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
So because I once again found myself having troubles to fall asleep at night I thought I might make a drastic change and move my training from the afternoon to the morning. Perhaps not a biggy for most of you but keep in mind that work around here starts at 7:15 am so in order to hit the gym I have to get up early.... very early. So at first I thought I try it on the weekend and be at the gym at 6 am. Then at Friday last week I was there at fuggen 5 am.

Verdict? Bloody amazing! I'm in love right there. Get up at 4 am, breakfast, coffee and then a pre-workout + a can of Monster on my way to the gym. Holy shit! Broke most of my PRs already.

Everyone struggling with training sessions later in the day. Try it. It's amazing. My personal plan is from now on to hit the gym after work on Tuesday and Wedneyday and then in the morning from Friday to Sunday. From what I gathered both training times (morning and evening) have hormonal benefits and this way I can assure to hit all muscles on both times.

Man, I love this sport.

Also, after reading David Sinclair's book I started incorporating fasting into my off days. Ultimate goal is to Fast on Moday + Thursday (off days), keto on Tuesday + Wednesday (my strenght days) and then carb up on Friday to Sunday. Let's see how it works out. :)
Damn man! Good for you!

Fenix34

I remove teeth
Hello I need advice. I am searching trainer online for preparation to triathlon and Ironman. Is there is a trainers or people who know it where to find?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hello I need advice. I am searching trainer online for preparation to triathlon and Ironman. Is there is a trainers or people who know it where to find?
Like a remote/zoom type scenario? Where the trainer talks to you, gives feedback, etc.?

I know of this one but have never used this type of service so I can't say if it's worth a damn or not.

Fenix34

I remove teeth
Top Bottom