• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Dude, yeah, I love your power clean progress. I think you've got a lot more in you too.

Thanks, Bum. I definitely don't have 185lbs in me, which I tried after while doing clean pulls. One month or less to 175!

I've decided I'm ready to start my Instagram "modeling" career, feel free to give me a follow. (Link available if you quote). I want to follow you guys too, so I'd be interested in any links from FitGAF. Just don't mention GAF on my vids lest I go into crisis mode.

Joining the gym again on Monday after a few months out. Previously I used this split workout:
https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dougs-mass-building-routine-for-ectomorphs.html

But apparently full body workouts are the way to go? Should I pick one of those routines out from the OP then?

Just my personal opinion, but I think brosplits should be kept for when you already have a good foundation from full body stuff. May people start them and lack the overall underlying strength to make good progress.

Just my personal opinion, but I think brosplits should be kept for when you already have a good foundation from full body stuff. May people start them and lack the overall underlying strength to make good progress.
I agree. The foundation building routines are the way to go. Even though I lifted before, after all my shit happened and I lost weight I returned with the basics. Didn't take long for my strength to snap back so I could get back to my normal routine but it was worth it, IMO.

-

Install day. Going to be a long one. 6g Beta Alanine got me like:

9328943478f6562cdeaff9c90b8453fa.jpg

Had pre-workout for the first time in five months today. I like to cycle on and off with it. And man, I noticed the difference. Got a great workout, wasn't gassed half way through, and felt stronger overall.

Had pre-workout for the first time in five months today. I like to cycle on and off with it. And man, I noticed the difference. Got a great workout, wasn't gassed half way through, and felt stronger overall.
Nice!

I personally don't cycle but I also don't use a store bought pre and don't change caffeine dosing. A lot of peeps fall in the trap where they aren't "feeling" the jolt from caffeine so they take more and more over time. I just keep it the same daily. 1 cup of coffee takes me through a full day of work and either another cup as a pre or a caffeine pill and that's it. Beta Al, Creatine and I recently started Citrulline Malate and I'm good.

Today was my first day ever at the gym. My arms and legs feel like jello. I didn't know a single thing about any exercise or what any of those machines did, but a colleague of mine who has been working out for a while taught me the ropes and gave me a schedule for a week, which pretty much involves full body training for 5 days. Anyway, yay, finally got into a gym!

SeanR1221

Thanks, Bum. I definitely don't have 185lbs in me, which I tried after while doing clean pulls. One month or less to 175!

I've decided I'm ready to start my Instagram "modeling" career, feel free to give me a follow. (Link available if you quote). I want to follow you guys too, so I'd be interested in any links from FitGAF. Just don't mention GAF on my vids lest I go into crisis mode.

Have you a follow

Today was my first day ever at the gym. My arms and legs feel like jello. I didn't know a single thing about any exercise or what any of those machines did, but a colleague of mine who has been working out for a while taught me the ropes and gave me a schedule for a week, which pretty much involves full body training for 5 days. Anyway, yay, finally got into a gym!

We've all been there. The gym is really intimidating the first few weeks. You see guys and gals doing some exercises that look effortless while you're shaking and holding on for dear life.

Admittedly, the first few weeks are tough. You'll be really sore and you'll probably feel uncomfortable but your body will adapt and you'll have the most energy and positive outlook you can imagine once you get yourself going and situated.

Nice!

I personally don't cycle but I also don't use a store bought pre and don't change caffeine dosing. A lot of peeps fall in the trap where they aren't "feeling" the jolt from caffeine so they take more and more over time. I just keep it the same daily. 1 cup of coffee takes me through a full day of work and either another cup as a pre or a caffeine pill and that's it. Beta Al, Creatine and I recently started Citrulline Malate and I'm good.

I had homemade preworkout for a while, similar to yours, but I have a very high tolerance for caffeine, so I try and cycle off so my heart doesn't explode, lol.

I agree. The foundation building routines are the way to go. Even though I lifted before, after all my shit happened and I lost weight I returned with the basics. Didn't take long for my strength to snap back so I could get back to my normal routine but it was worth it, IMO.

-

Install day. Going to be a long one. 6g Beta Alanine got me like:

lmaooooooooo

KillerBEA

I need to fix my caffeine tolerance. Somedays I just need way too much to function. The other day I needed 800-900 mg to get through the day and I crashed like a brick when I got home. On the low end I get about 300 mg a day. Shit's expensive and nuts. I tried to shift to healthier alternatives to energy drinks, but I just cave because nothing beats chugging a monster in the middle of a shift for some reason.

KillerBEA

800+ is crazy man. I try to stay under 2-300 max, otherwise I have a huge crash in the afternoon/evening.

I have had some days, especially after the school semester started where I had 1-1.2 g of caffeine. That's when I tried to switch to Tea and Coffee with minimal success. Luckily I am downing more low sugar/no sugar variants than the sugar filled variety but it's still not good.

I destroyed my tolerance in High School and it's just been snowballing ever since. I have managed to quit for months at a time but always crawl back. Longest I went without was 6 months back in 2013 when I had a kidney stone. Mid March til Mid September.

Dany

Banned
Went twice yesterday. Lifted in the morning and ran in the evening on the track with my partner.

Felt super productive doing so, ha

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Fit into size 34 jeans for the first time in at least 20 years. I've dropped 10 pants sizes now and I'm likely going to settle at a 34 but unlike the past when I had to squeeze into certain jeans this feels pretty comfortable already at my current weight and I still want to lose maybe about 15 to 20 more pounds.

sphinx

the piano man
nice pics Szu!

I think you are the only one over 40 in this community that has shown any pics, can that be?

hey ya'll we have still 25 posts. lets use them!

mdsfx

Didn't want to clutter the new thread. I was trying to take a pic of my arm veins that are finally coming back (I freakin love them for some reason, unlike my wife) but it unintentionally turned into what seems like a symbol for fit dads. Spiderman, hello kitty, and Thomas say hi lol

Szu

Didn't want to clutter the new thread. I was trying to take a pic of my arm veins that are finally coming back (I freakin love them for some reason, unlike my wife) but it unintentionally turned into what seems like a symbol for fit dads. Spiderman, hello kitty, and Thomas say hi lol

I'm trying to guess which towel belongs to you.

It's obviously the Hello Kitty one.

Pyrokai

Hey guys, quick question about lifting while you're cutting:

1. I'm eating at roughly 20% calorie deficit with a 50p/25c/25f macro split. Is this okay and safe to do for about 5 weeks?
2. I am lifting with my max reps being 8-10 instead of 12-15. If I'm not trying to gain, should I go for 12-15 instead?

That's all! Thanks in advance! I'm trying to lose 10 pounds of as much fat (not muscle) as possible for the upcoming swim season. If I can manage to do this, I'll be nearly at the strength, fitness, and body fat percent level I set out to achieve about 3 years ago and will look almost exactly like how I've always wanted to.

But, of course, this shit is addicting and come June 1st, I will want to take it to the NEXT LEVEL.

Mayyhem

Hi guys,

new to fitness gaf here but i had a question about meal timing

i lifted regularly for 2 years on a set schedule and id always eat lighter during the day, workout hard in afternoon, then eat fuller post workout with possibly even a protein shake

ive know been working 830-530 fulltime and have been struggling to find a good routine for lifting/eating.

i get home around 630 and im usually pretty tired to rush straight to the gym to workout, as the last meal i had was around 12-1 and im by now hungry. id normally go workout 7-8 or 7-830 and have a late meal post workout because im so used to things this way

im thinking of trying to come home after work, have a nice meal, rest up a bit
and then hit the gym hard around 8-830pm, and then just have a protein shake post workout.

i think this will help with energy in the gym cause i have been feeling very lethargic doing it the other way and often times just wanting to cut it early to go home so i dont eat dinner to late, etc

i dont know too much about the importance of meal timing but does anyone do anything similar to this?

Pyrokai

Hi guys,

new to fitness gaf here but i had a question about meal timing

i lifted regularly for 2 years on a set schedule and id always eat lighter during the day, workout hard in afternoon, then eat fuller post workout with possibly even a protein shake

ive know been working 830-530 fulltime and have been struggling to find a good routine for lifting/eating.

i get home around 630 and im usually pretty tired to rush straight to the gym to workout, as the last meal i had was around 12-1 and im by now hungry. id normally go workout 7-8 or 7-830 and have a late meal post workout because im so used to things this way

im thinking of trying to come home after work, have a nice meal, rest up a bit
and then hit the gym hard around 8-830pm, and then just have a protein shake post workout.

i think this will help with energy in the gym cause i have been feeling very lethargic doing it the other way and often times just wanting to cut it early to go home so i dont eat dinner to late, etc

i dont know too much about the importance of meal timing but does anyone do anything similar to this?

Hmmm.....my schedule is similar to this (7:00-3:30). I usually eat a decent breakfast at 6:15am and a pretty big lunch at 11:00. I also pack a bunch of snacks to eat between 1 and 2. This seems to keep me really energized for my workout that I do around 4:30 or 5:00. Afterwards I have dinner.

So if your job allows it, can you eat some snacks (healthy of course) a hour or two after your sustaining and hearty lunch?

Just my two sense. I also have a cup of coffee at 1pm. Any later and it keeps me up too late but 1pm seems to have a nice lasting effect that gets me through the afternoon + my workout.

lunchtoast

400ml milk,
2 x scoop of protein,
3 x scoop of oats
40g peanut butter
1 x banana
15g coconut oil

Next time I'm going to swap some of the milk for icecream or something. :D

Similar to what I do. I need to up my daily intake though but I also do intermittent fasting.

Not sure I could do ice cream though. Sometimes after a good workout I'll go to McD's and buy 2 McChickens/2 McDoubles, no buns.

JCX

I'm supposed to squat today according to my program, but my legs are still sore from squatting 3 days ago. Should I still work out, or wait longer for them to recover?

theytookourjobz

I'm supposed to squat today according to my program, but my legs are still sore from squatting 3 days ago. Should I still work out, or wait longer for them to recover?

I've found that squatting again loosens up my muscles and gets rid of the soreness much quicker than just resting.

On a side note, I thought I tweaked my knee somehow earlier in the week. Walking around is really uncomfortable but I did a couple bodyweight squats at the gym and I felt nothing. So I decided to be an idiot and hit this 3RM with a pause on the first rep. PR. (I did see a physical therapist later that day and she said there was nothing structural wrong with my knee)

https://youtu.be/u0r1H-JzQFE

So been going to the gym for about 3 weeks now, and though of course I've not seen drastic change in terms of my weight/muscle yet, I feel really really good. Post-workout endorphins are definitely a thing.

Trying to get up super early and go before work next week.

dankir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom