• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fixing a Goof on GAF : What's the best way to repair a thread title here?

CamHostage

So, it came up in discussion about thread titles in News, that sometimes not all the information about a game is available when it first breaks, and if the OP jumps the gun before the full spectrum is known, they can amend their post but they're stuck with a thread title which cannot be edited without MOD intervention.

Case in point: a thread was started about a new game, which ran on PS Blog's Youtube channel and so listed the game as a PS5 game and nothing else. Five minutes later, the rest of the full news broke, that this game was also being made for PC and XBox as well as PlayStation. The OP adjusted their content, but the thread title still read, "New PS5 game Hell is Us by Rogue Factor aiming for a 2023 release" .

So, is there a good way of dealing with those cases? OPs could just get better at due diligence before rushing to post, but then again, the thread was there several minutes before the rest of the news came out, which is only a bit of time but it ain't nothing for GAFers looking for something new to talk about. And just sometimes, OPs make mistakes. Thread titles are locked for probably good reason, but sometimes they do need some aftercare.

I read through some of the GAF FAQ on OTs and it said what I figure is the best and maybe only possible policy right now, which is to flag down a MOD... though I actually don't even know how you do that now? (I think there was a MOD button ages ago but I don't see how you'd know who'd have those privs now? There's no MOD tag on Current Visitors) And should you do that on the OP's behalf, or is that gripey and should you suggest the OP ask for their own changes?

...I'm probably overthinking things, but I was curious how this works best

Last edited:

CamHostage

Oh, duh! I always look at that "Report" link as punitive, never thought of it as being a mutually beneficial tool.

Good to know, thank you.

Top Bottom