• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flashback 2 announced for consoles, PC

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Microids has announced Flashback 2, a sequel to the 1992 science-fiction platformer for consoles and PC. It will launch in 2022. Specific consoles were not announced.

“We are super excited to offer the fans a sequel to this masterpiece of the French video game history,” said Microids CEO Stephane Longeard in a press release. “At Microids, we thrive for delivering projects highlighting the craft of talented individuals. Paul Cuisset is a French hall of famer known internationally. We are proud to work hand-in-hand with him and his team on this project.”

Flashback creator Paul Cuisset added, “Developing a sequel to Flashback is an idea I’ve had for a very long time. I can’t wait for players to discover the new adventures of Conrad B. Hart, a character created almost 30 years ago. With Microids, we are really aiming to please the fans of the original title while being appealing to any players with a weak spot for futuristic games.”

More information will be announced at a later date.

Could be cool - have great memories of playing the original on PC, even though I don't think I ever finished it.

There are so many variables though that while it could be cool, I don't have a lot of faith. Art style alone could tank my interest, and I have little hope for devs these days to deliver.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Flashback 2 dropping before The Last Night?

b6336ad7c45a9ec1a8c37d4f5283e57b.jpg

Dr Bass

Wasn't there a Flashback 2 made back in the day? It was 3D and clunky looking? Might not have been called that but pretty sure it was a sequel.

Loved the original flashback. Hope this one is 2D and follows in the same spirit.

protonion

I played Flashback as a kid.
I loved the atmosphere of the game and that amazing second level where you take different jobs.

Cool announcement but I do not have any expectations...

Sentenza

Out of nowhere ! Nice !

I didn't follow the story, what happened ? Last I looked it was still in active development
The dev said something about not being exactly fond of embracing feminism as a religion.
As a result that immediately qualified him under the “worse than Hitler” category for Resetera.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Wasn't there a Flashback 2 made back in the day? It was 3D and clunky looking? Might not have been called that but pretty sure it was a sequel.

Loved the original flashback. Hope this one is 2D and follows in the same spirit.
Yeah there was. Fade 2 Black. It was very clunky, slow, and methodical, every action plays out a full animation or step, a lot like the early Tomb Raider games, but it's a better game than it gets credit for. It has a learning curve to it, but like the original it has some strong level design each scenario is like solving a puzzle.

But even as a Fade 2 Black apologist and a big fan of Cuisset's earlier work, I can't say I am really looking forward to this. Microids is a real bad developer, and this guy hasn't even made a mediocre game in a long time. I'm interested to see what they come up with but setting my expectations on the floor for now.

SF Kosmo

The dev said something about not being exactly fond of embracing feminism as a religion.
As a result that immediately qualified him under the “worse than Hitler” category for Resetera.
I don't think it was that, so much as the game itself being themed around a lot of Ayn Rand-ian bullshit. Like some dystopia where government dependence and liberalism has made people weak and poor something.

Which is fine, you can make a game about whatever you want, but it doesn't sound like something I'd be particularly interested in playing.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I don't think it was that, so much as the game itself being themed around a lot of Ayn Rand-ian bullshit.

Which is fine, but definitely not something I'd be particularly interested in playing.

Did you skip out on BioShock too? That game was chock full of Ayn Rand-ian bullshit.

Last edited:

Sentenza

I don't think it was that, so much as the game itself being themed around a lot of Ayn Rand-ian bullshit.

Which is fine, but definitely not something I'd be particularly interested in playing.
I mean, I can’t fucking stand Ayn Rand either.
But that’s not the problem here.

The problem is that Era needs to come to term that not every sociopolitical view they disagree with is implicitly CRIMINAL.

SF Kosmo

Did you skip out on BioShock too? That game was chock full of Ayn Rand-ian bullshit.
In the sense that Wolfenstein is chock full of Nazi bullshit.

Like literally Bioshock is an entire game about how Ayn Rand was wrong and her ideas are turn people into monsters. It is the anti-Ayn Rand.

Last edited:

Catphish

Loved that game. Risked my job at FuncoLand (precursor to GameStop) to borrow it for a couple of days. :)

Day one for the sequel. (y)

SF Kosmo

I mean, I can’t fucking stand Ayn Rand either.
But that’s not the problem here.

The problem is that Era needs to come to term that not every sociopolitical view they disagree with is implicitly CRIMINAL.
Yeah Era has no chill, and that is their biggest issue.

I'm just saying I think the issue extended beyond a beef with the staff to the actual game concept itself. Boycotting a game because you disagree with someone's personal political views can be petty, but if you don't like the game itself or what it's trying to say, well I get that.

SF Kosmo

It was as well received as Heart Of The Alien, the Another World sequel which wasn’t well received.
I like Fade 2 Black better than Heart of the Alien. Fade 2 Black was doing something new, and 3D was novel enough at the time you could forgive the inelegant controls.

Heart of the Alien was just the same thing but way worse.

HotPocket69

Banned
I like Fade 2 Black better than Heart of the Alien. Fade 2 Black was doing something new, and 3D was novel enough at the time you could forgive the inelegant controls.

Heart of the Alien was just the same thing but way worse.

Both on Sega CD and 3DO I believe...

stranno

Yeah there was. Fade 2 Black. It was very clunky, slow, and methodical, every action plays out a full animation or step, a lot like the early Tomb Raider games, but it's a better game than it gets credit for. It has a learning curve to it, but like the original it has some strong level design each scenario is like solving a puzzle.
The biggest problem with F2B are the cheap insta-deaths, especially the electrified floor which requires a milimetric accuracy in jumps.

blackjon24

There is no game I have more of a love/hate relationship than flashback. It was so difficult as a kid but the soundtrack and feel of the game was unmatched.

SF Kosmo

Both on Sega CD and 3DO I believe...
The 3DO Another World didn't have Heart of the Alien on it, it was more of a remaster, and that one was actually kind of dope. The hand painted backgrounds were nice. They're different than the remade backgrounds in the 20th anniversary (and later) editions, and maybe not as true to the original mood and color pallette but at the time I thought it was cool. Another World is honestly one of my favorite games.

A lot of people are surprised to learn no one who worked on Another World worked on Flashback. They seem similar and were both published by Delphine, but AW was more or less an Eric Chahi solo jam.

The biggest problem with F2B are the cheap insta-deaths, especially the electrified floor which requires a milimetric accuracy in jumps.
It wasn't so much that the game required milimeter accuracy as that that the controls only gave you meter accuracy. Like jumps, steps, runs, etc were these fixed animations of fixed distances, so you didn't have any finiesse. That said, you get the hang of it.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

if it's anything like that god awful remake then he can keep it. hopefully it's 2D but I bet it isn't
I think before anyone gets too hyped, we need to remember that this is the same guy who made Amy, sometimes citied as one of the worst games of all time.

He hasn't gotten much better since. His last game, I believe, was the godawful Moto Racer 4.

I love Flashback too, but temper your expectations.

stranno

It wasn't so much that the game required milimeter accuracy as that that the controls only gave you meter accuracy. Like jumps, steps, runs, etc were these fixed animations of fixed distances, so you didn't have any finiesse. That said, you get the hang of it.
Trust me. Fade 2 Black was:

9LmcSLp.png

dcx4610

Loved Out of This World but could never super get into Flashback. I had it and loved the animation but I couldn't figure it out. I might need to revisit it one day.

Top Bottom