• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flashback 2 announced for consoles, PC

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It was only released on Dreamcast as Flashback 2 in 2018.
Regardless, it was always a direct sequel to Flashback. This game would have to either take place after F2B or retcon it entirely.

In other news, there was another sequel previously planned for GBA but it was scrapped mid way through development. It's pre-alpha but they had made quite a few environments.

molasar

Banned
Regardless, it was always a direct sequel to Flashback. This game would have to either take place after F2B or retcon it entirely.

In other news, there was another sequel previously planned for GBA but it was scrapped mid way through development. It's pre-alpha but they had made quite a few environments.

But not officially called Flashback 2. Thus they can call the new one this way.

Yes, I played a prototype like over 10 years ago IIRC or when it leaked to internet. Aesthetics were crap.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Conrad is back! 30 years after Flashback, Paul Cuisset's mythical game, which made the licence known worldwide, is back with this new sci-fi action-adventure game!

lashback was ahead of its time and offered great innovations with superb character animations. A true pioneer in 1992, the game also achieved legendary status in video games thanks to its rich and engaging story.

This classic video game is regularly ranked among the top 100 games of all time! Now it's getting a makeover to mark its 30th anniversary, and this brand new 2.5D version of Flashback 2...

After his victory over the "Master Brain" in the first episode, Conrad and his allies are once again confronted with the Morphs, who threaten all civilizations.

Moreover, his friend Ian, who has answers to many of Conrad's questions, has just been kidnapped in front of him... A trick of the Morphs? For what purpose? It's up to you to find out...

Help him and his allies to solve this delicate and dangerous investigation through 5 levels full of action and shoot-outs and to fight the Morphs who are preparing a machiavellian plan for total control of the solar system...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just a sequel. I don't think they're remaking it again, Cuisset just remade it back in 2013 under Ubisoft.

This classic video game is regularly ranked among the top 100 games of all time! Now it's getting a makeover to mark its 30th anniversary, and this brand new 2.5D version of Flashback 2...

CamHostage

"This classic video game is regularly ranked among the top 100 games of all time! Now it's getting a makeover to mark its 30th anniversary, and this brand new 2.5D version of Flashback 2..."

Oh, I see. No, I think that's just an iffy turn of phrase about the franchise itself getting a makeover. I guess maybe they could use this same system to do a remake of 1 in the process, but I've not read anything about something like that being in the plans.

Havoc2049

I really enjoyed the original waaay back in the day and even finished it. Hopefully Flashback 2 turns out well.

fermcr

Some images from the Steam page...

ss_36ac474a82013d9ccb5396ad4c9f00362792ebfb.1920x1080.jpg

ss_f02600639a387530810497b8c5e6aa233f67fd5f.1920x1080.jpg

ss_54fb1cd5a47f779291aa4fc37b4baad43e1f0a7e.1920x1080.jpg

ss_07c7cd3e048ef00a04ad7ae62c495883a0460da8.1920x1080.jpg

ss_5c373e9c25368d5ad0b1e505fa08ee300f3fdd6e.1920x1080.jpg

ss_2942a770e4ce649e31ecbe45abecfb1b0a1cb367.1920x1080.jpg

Majormaxxx

I finished FB on PS4 this year. Holds up well. And because the PS4 is more forgiving, it is a good experience. This FB2 trailer isn't promising so far.. Lets see..

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Conrad is back… to challenge the Morphs! FLASHBACK 2 will release in November 2023!

30 years after the original FLASHBACK, Paul Cuisset invites you to immerse yourself in an action-packed cyberpunk universe where the fate of humanity itself hangs in the balance. The Morphs are preparing their final attack, determined to enslave every civilization in the Solar System - and it’s your mission to fight back!

SF Kosmo

I really want this to be good. The original is one of my all time favorites, and even Fade to Black is special to me, but Paul Cuisset has been putting out a lot of really terrible projects for a long time, and it's hard to be optimistic about this one.

SaintALia

I really want this to be good. The original is one of my all time favorites, and even Fade to Black is special to me, but Paul Cuisset has been putting out a lot of really terrible projects for a long time, and it's hard to be optimistic about this one.
Yeah, isn't Fade to Black, FLashback 2? When i saw Flashback 2 I swore I was on crazy pills because I distinctly remember a 3D Flashback game from long ago. There was the remake too, but I can't remember any other entries. I kinda figured by now you'd make something in the vein of Control/Alan Wake for the next proper entry, or go more low budget and try to capture the artstyle of the original and make it a sidescroller.

Banned
Flashback 2 is already out, it's called FADE TO BLACK developed by... THEM.
And it was awesome back in time but they went "Let's pretend Flashback 2 never existed", how stupid is that ?!

GTA4 is also called GTA4 not GTA6, so this isn't new.
as long as a number is unused, it's fair game lol.

Apocryphon

Looks awful just like the remake of the first game.

I played the hell out of the original on SNES. The remake was a massive disappointment.

Crayon

This reminds me I've been meaning to play fade to black. For over 20 years. I hope it's broken.

Sometimes I get around to one and it turns out the disc didn't work that whole time. Or maybe died to rot. That heart of darkness I waited 15 years to play turned out to be scratched and hung up after the first level. What a relief. I declared it off the backlog, great success.

CGNoire

This reminds me I've been meaning to play fade to black. For over 20 years. I hope it's broken.

Sometimes I get around to one and it turns out the disc didn't work that whole time. Or maybe died to rot. That heart of darkness I waited 15 years to play turned out to be scratched and hung up after the first level. What a relief. I declared it off the backlog, great success.
The shitty thing about playing fade 2 black in the modern era is it uses some weird psuedo3d wall tech that cant be re-rendered at higher resolutions. If you for instance play via emulator everything is high rez and the walls are all 240p and covered in major aliasing....super distracting juxtoposition.

CGNoire

To those old schooo FB fans. The 2013 remake while definitly inferior to the orginal does some things right. Mostly it controls like a dream. Like seriously I love how smooth the character animates and conrad can pull some additonal moves he couldnt in the orginal like shooting in all directions on th go or aiming in all directions while hanging or using the sheild during any animation. Would have killed for an level editor for that game.

This looks interesting. Like there mixing sidescrolling levels with new twin stick levels for variety. Not sure Im a fan of riding my bike into the scenes like they showed. Super excited to hear this wasnt cancelled and cant wait.

CGNoire

You owe it to yourself to play HOD shit is a masterpiece. It could really use an AI upscale though.

Crayon

You owe it to yourself to play HOD shit is a masterpiece. It could really use an AI upscale though.

I would like to. Not to get off on a tangent but I've only more recently internalized that I'm never going to play all this stuff. I have hod in a cd book right over there and maybe I could get the disk to work. Or I could emulate it. But I don't think I'm getting to that in this lifetime lol. Awe... kinda sucks. I was walking by that fear effect 2 case for half my life. Not displayed on a shelf, but stuck there for easy access as if I was going to play it any day now. Never say never though, and I appreciate the recommendation.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Eh, I think they should try to reinvigorate it somehow and move to third dimension instead of doing this retro nostalgia thing. Prince of Persia managed to make a successful transition to 3D eventually, and the original was very similar in gameplay to Flashback. This has low effort written all over it, especially since it's Microids, i.e. the same company responsible for XIII remake.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Yeah, isn't Fade to Black, FLashback 2? When i saw Flashback 2 I swore I was on crazy pills because I distinctly remember a 3D Flashback game from long ago. There was the remake too, but I can't remember any other entries. I kinda figured by now you'd make something in the vein of Control/Alan Wake for the next proper entry, or go more low budget and try to capture the artstyle of the original and make it a sidescroller.
Yeah Fade to Black was very much the sequel to Flashback. There was a GBA sequel that was cancelled mid production as well.

I didn't play the remake and heard it was awful. Cuisset has been making trash for years, sadly.

CGNoire

I would like to. Not to get off on a tangent but I've only more recently internalized that I'm never going to play all this stuff. I have hod in a cd book right over there and maybe I could get the disk to work. Or I could emulate it. But I don't think I'm getting to that in this lifetime lol. Awe... kinda sucks. I was walking by that fear effect 2 case for half my life. Not displayed on a shelf, but stuck there for easy access as if I was going to play it any day now. Never say never though, and I appreciate the recommendation.
Oldly enough I totally relate. Same for me and Fear Effect 2 as well.

Wasn't there a Flashback 2 made back in the day? It was 3D and clunky looking? Might not have been called that but pretty sure it was a sequel.

Loved the original flashback. Hope this one is 2D and follows in the same spirit.
There was, Next Gen magazine had it on their cover. I’m not to sure exactly what happened with that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom