• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn – Gamescom Gameplay Trailer

Bullet Club

Get a glimpse at Flintlock’s magic and gunpowder wielding heroes in action as Nor and her fully voiced foxlike companion, Enki, team up to prevail against the Gods. Flooded by tides of undead, players must combine the might of Nor’s destructive axe and flintlock weaponry with Enki’s mysterious mystical abilities, strategically signalling Enki to gain the upper hand by harnessing his astonishing powers.

Your battle against the Gods begins early 2023 on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Steam, Epic Games Store, Xbox One and Xbox Series S|X! Available day one with Game Pass.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
You cannot store a flintlock pistol with the muzzle facing down. The ball and the powder would all fall out.

I don't think this gameplay looks interesting.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
So it is safe to say that they dropped the ball with this trailer?
csi miami GIF

Mr Hyde

Looks good. If the price tag lands around 40 I might bite. Love the flintlock pistol action. Executions looks dope. I hope it's not too clunky and janky when you play. That's the main issue with these Souls-likes, they need that japanese super smoothness tucked in tight in the gameplay.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
IGN's preview makes it sound like a confusing mismash they said "god of war" and "souls like" and the combat looked, like neither of those, very mashy also they said there's a "Devil may cry" point system involved in the combat... those are all ideas that don't gel AT ALL.

Sounds like a 5 year old came up with this mishmash.

Fbh

Looks fun, the attacks seem to have some weight to them and the visuals are quite decent.
Hopefully they release another video showing more of the world and exploration, at least the clip at the end hinted at slightly more open areas.

IGN's preview makes it sound like a confusing mismash they said "god of war" and "souls like" and the combat looked, like neither of those, very mashy also they said there's a "Devil may cry" point system involved in the combat... those are all ideas that don't gel AT ALL.

Or shitty games "journalists" have lost the ability to describe games and mechanics without doing lazy comparisons to other games.

GymWolf

Dude it's ign, they probably throw sticky rubber dicks into a drawing board to decide what to say like they do at vice.

As a person who owns multiple black-powder firearms, including a few flintlock muskets and rifles, this footage triggers the shit out of me. The fucking magic fox thing I can accept without question, but the mundane flintlock being treated like that bothers me.

You cannot store a flintlock pistol with the muzzle facing down. The ball and the powder would all fall out.

I don't think this gameplay looks interesting.
The wadding that the musket ball is packed in as it is loaded into the barrel both keeps the powder from escaping, and seats the ball against it through compression. Only during 'rapid' reloading during regimented combat would a soldier drop a naked musket ball down the barrel, then immediately aim, prime the flash pan, and fire. People either hunting, or using pistols would have a patch of linen cloth that would be put over the muzzle, then the ball would be pressed into it before being rammed in. The ball would not roll out thanks to that.

This reminds me of the Xbox 360/PS3 era of action games where a lot of western studios focused on making combat feel like it had a ton of weight behind every move. I'm liking what I see.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
As a person who owns multiple black-powder firearms, including a few flintlock muskets and rifles, this footage triggers the shit out of me. The fucking magic fox thing I can accept without question, but the mundane flintlock being treated like that bothers me.

The wadding that the musket ball is packed in as it is loaded into the barrel both keeps the powder from escaping, and seats the ball against it through compression. Only during 'rapid' reloading during regimented combat would a soldier drop a naked musket ball down the barrel, then immediately aim, prime the flash pan, and fire. People either hunting, or using pistols would have a patch of linen cloth that would be put over the muzzle, then the ball would be pressed into it before being rammed in. The ball would not roll out thanks to that.
Show me where they patch the muzzle before stowing muzzle down on the back. I also think my original criticism still stands. It is a video game so it doesn’t matter, but a soldier never walked around with a muzzle slung down when marching.

Moochi

Thank you for saving me from typing that out.

Show me where they patch the muzzle before stowing muzzle down on the back. I also think my original criticism still stands. It is a video game so it doesn’t matter, but a soldier never walked around with a muzzle slung down when marching.

The paper cartridge was plenty enough wadding for standard soldier use, and would hold up decently enough for relatively short periods of jostling with the barrel pointed down. For people who expected to have a charge ready to go for hours they would use linen pillow-ticking which would provide a much tighter fit for the musket ball.

Flintlock pistols were often pointed down when worn. They're virtually identical in function from their long-arm counterparts in function.

Edit- By "pointing down" I mean less than parallel with the ground, not with the barrel aimed 90 degrees downward.

Last edited:
AJUMP23 AJUMP23

It's like when I watched Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

I can shut my brain off and accept the 300 foot tall nuclear dinosaur, but fuck the double-sized B2 bomber that the protagonists somehow flew into its hanger bay with a smaller jet. That's not how shit works.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn aims to build on Elden Ring by combining the challenge of a Soulslike with the cinematic flare of a Sony first-party.

Flintlock is due early 2023 for PC (on Steam and the Epic Games Store), PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. It will be available on Xbox Game Pass on launch day as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom