• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flu virus with 'pandemic potential' found in China

llien

_113157156_gettyimages-1151096351.jpg

A new strain of flu that has the potential to become a pandemic has been identified in China by scientists.
It emerged recently and is carried by pigs, but can infect humans, they say.
The researchers are concerned that it could mutate further so that it can spread easily from person to person, and trigger a global outbreak.
While it is not an immediate problem, they say, it has "all the hallmarks" of being highly adapted to infect humans and needs close monitoring.
As it's new, people could have little or no immunity to the virus.
The scientists write in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that measures to control the virus in pigs, and the close monitoring of swine industry workers, should be swiftly implemented.

bbc

Wellp it's similar to swine flu (doh) not Covid.

Pardon my "racism":

zsgwWFt.png

Last edited:

acm2000

pretty sure these sort of viruses are found quite often, its just big news to add to the scaremongering as thats what gets clicks and sells papers

Super Mario

Banned
Aka, it's now fairly known that COVID-19 is basically an enhanced, yet overrated, common cold. Time to get a new pandemic.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Aka, it's now fairly known that COVID-19 is basically an enhanced, yet overrated, common cold. Time to get a new pandemic.

pretty much. They overhyped COVID so much that I honestly won’t even believe their bullshit about this flu either. We shut everything down for basically nothing. For a virus most people had but didn’t even know.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The avian flu is the one we need to worry about. 70% fatality rate for ANYONE that gets it.

Amory

I don't mind this kind of sensationalism, tbh

If there's any positives to be gained from all the COVID bullshit, it's that going forward we need to be more wary of infectious diseases so that we don't have to shut the world down next time

Stitch

Gold Member
It can infect humans, so I guess it already did otherwise how would they know?
They've tested the Virus on Ferrets

The fifth part of the PNAS study tried to “ferret out” whether the virus could be transmitted from one person to another. While you may not think of yourself as a ferret on most occasions, scientists often use ferrets to study the transmission of flu viruses in the laboratory. That’s because ferrets are similar to humans in how their lungs work, what receptors they have on their cells, and what symptoms they get when they are infected with the flu virus.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't mind this kind of sensationalism, tbh

If there's any positives to be gained from all the COVID bullshit, it's that going forward we need to be more wary of infectious diseases so that we don't have to shut the world down next time
Yeah whatever your take on Covid 19 fatality rates one thing is clear: the world is completely unprepared for handling pandemics, and that a novel virus can spread worldwide rapidly. We will face this again, hopefully we will actually learn something from this one (we won't).

highrider

Banned
Man China is really blazing new trails in viruses. Just when you think they’ve peaked they seem to just bring more! Hey how about instead of stealing our designs try stealing our health codes 👍

Last edited:

mickaus

So last year China loses around 50% of their pigs and there is still disease spreading through the remainder? What on earth are they doing to those pigs? China is dreaming if they think they can overtake the US at this rate.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Sars, covid now this ?

Wtf is wrong with China

Sorry for ChinaGaf..but this getting out of control

Please fix this asap

This is really messed up

Last edited:
So last year China loses around 50% of their pigs and there is still disease spreading through the remainder? What on earth are they doing to those pigs? China is dreaming if they think they can overtake the US at this rate.
Seems they are doing fine exporting their Viruses to elsewhere and not getting hit themselves by it.

2019 was already bad (for me personally), 2020 is as fucked up as 2019 was, and if 2021 gets worse I really don't know what to do.

Odin, give me a break.

Last edited:

Maestr0

You know what mother nature, just go all out, this year is already a disaster, let's go all the way.
Now I'm waiting for that Disaster : Day Of Crisis scenario to be real

Top Bottom