• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Footballers considering legal action against EA over image rights

Orta

Banned

Lol, EA are going to have to dig very deep if the players get their way with this one. Take Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar and Mbappe alone, I wonder how much they'll demand for their likeness being used in future games. Then drop down a tier for players like Mo Salah, Erling Halaand, Bruno Fernandes, etc. Could still come at a hell of a cost if EA's lawyers can't work their way round this.

You really have to feel sorry for them, don't you......

Maybe we'll end up back in the past when Denis Brogkamp was banging in 40 yard screamers against Oliver Khurn.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
After what happened with college football and basketball a decade ago I’m sure EA probably has all the legal understanding here and probably has the necessary deals with the proper unions.

Sounds like these soccer players are just unaware. lol

martino

All they will win is this to be added to their contract with the club if it's not already there (it probably is because of tv rights existing for decades)

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Football players sure aren't the brightest if they are just figuring this out in 2020.
Haha So true. Like look at beauty products.
I am sure they had some deal already but they haven't revised it to the 2020 money levels.

Imagine EA fifa to have even more agressive micro transaction to compensate the new deals with these ultra rich athletes.

chonga

I knew Raiola would be behind this before I even opened it.

You'd think that the sporting federations who players register with would have accommodations for this and from the sound of the article, they seem to think they do.

mitch1971

I don't know how these footballers sleep at night knowing they ain't earning 'all' the money and not just some of the millions a month kicking around a leather bag.

Someone, somewhere in a legal department has dropped a massive Bollock.

Either FIFpro don't own all the images rights they sold to EA, or EA aren't thorough in checking who owns what images. Or a combination of the two.

Whoops.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
If I was a top professional footballer on a six figure weekly wage, I really wouldn't give a shit if EA used my image in FIFA.

In fact, I'd be flattered that I was in FIFA. Certainly wouldn't be crying of lost money from 'image rights'

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you legally bound by your FIFA and club contracts to be featured in "ALL" licensed "FIFA" (or the clubs) licensed products, with or without your permission and consent?

I thought they (game publishers) only pay you if you get featured on their cover and use your voice or something? Everything else from your likeness to body language, is licensed by EA through FIFA, or I'm wrong on this.

SLoco

Neo Member
They won't be able to do anything in Europe because if club/league sign agreement with EA they have rights.
Its on league to pass money to clubs in order to distribute it to players(clubs will just say its included in salary).
Players will have to sue clubs to get more money i guess.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
No doubt some snakey lawyer got wind of all the cash EA rakes in on ultimate team and wants a piece of the pie.

Top Bottom