• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2020/2021 |OT| Attending every single game from our home stands.

Dark Rider

[SkySport] Gennaro Gattuso: The accusations from Tottenham fans hurt me more than any sacking. I have been described for what I am not without having the opportunity to defend myself, at a time when no one wants to take note of the dangers of the web.

Dark Rider

'Disgraceful scenes must never be repeated' - English FA announces review into Wembley security breaches

I assume reassurances need to be made for future events.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[Fabrizio Romano] EXCL. Tottenham and Sevilla are finalizing a new swap deal: Erik Lamela to Sevilla, Bryan Gil to Spurs. Agreement set to be reached on permanent deal and here we go soon! ⚪️ #THFC Sevilla will also receive €25m + add ons included as part of the deal. 🇪🇸 #Sevilla

[Fabrizio Romano] EXCL. Tottenham and Sevilla are finalizing a new swap deal: Erik Lamela to Sevilla, Bryan Gil to Spurs. Agreement set to be reached on permanent deal and here we go soon! ⚪️ #THFC Sevilla will also receive €25m + add ons included as part of the deal. 🇪🇸 #Sevilla

Tottenham taking advantage of Sevilla on this one.

Dark Rider

Ivan Rakitić has revealed that Cristiano Ronaldo urged him to join Juventus in the summer of 2019: "Cristiano called me personally to suggest I go to Juve. He told me that the club wanted me too, but the transfer didn’t go through. Barcelona were asking for €50m and it was too much."

Dark Rider

[Fabrizio Romano] Atletico Madrid manager Diego Pablo Simeone to Marca: “I hope Antoine Griezmann will do great things with Barcelona...”.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dark Rider

[Libertadores] Boca players throw metal bars and sound system at Atletico staff+players

[la12tuitera] Boca Juniors players were thrown tear gas by the police in their dressing room

[O Tempo] Boca Juniors players try to enter locker room and confront Atletico Mineiro after match

[Marco Geves] Boca bus is still in Mineirão. The police want to arrest at least two players: Zambrano and Villa. They are currently checking the security cameras.

EscalatedQuickly.gif

Dark Rider

Telegraaf: Louis van Gaal has signed as the new manager of the Dutch national team for the coming 18 months

Dark Rider

Dangers to English football 'very real' - BBC Football

"The evidence has been clear that football clubs are not ordinary businesses," wrote Crouch. "They play a critical social, civic and cultural role in their local communities.

"They need to be protected - sometimes from their owners who are, after all, simply the current custodians of a community asset."

DKehoe

Gold Member
Dangers to English football 'very real' - BBC Football

"The evidence has been clear that football clubs are not ordinary businesses," wrote Crouch. "They play a critical social, civic and cultural role in their local communities.

"They need to be protected - sometimes from their owners who are, after all, simply the current custodians of a community asset."
I really don't have any faith in the FA or whoever stepping in to prevent an owner that isn't actually "fit and proper" as they are apparently required to be.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Yeah, Billionaires are bad but debt leveraged buy outs are fantastic.
Yeh, should never have been allowed.

But even when you look past the top clubs, is Mike Ashley really a "fit and proper" person to be running a football club?

Last edited:

Dark Rider

I really don't have any faith in the FA or whoever stepping in to prevent an owner that isn't actually "fit and proper" as they are apparently required to be.

But this is on the government level so it is far more serious than the FA to those owners.

Dark Rider

[Tottenham Hotspur] We are delighted to announce that Heung-Min Son has signed a new four-year contract with the Club, which will run until 2025.

Dark Rider

[Samuel Luckhurst] Eduardo Camavinga favours a move to Spain amid interest from MUFC. United held discussions with his representatives - that were described as 'not encouraging' as the 18-year-old's preference is a move to La Liga.

This is a very interesting situation since we can't afford to buy him this season and he does not want to leave on free (which is next season for him).

Dark Rider

[Manchester United] This is his home. This is where he belongs. Jadon Sancho is 𝗨𝗡𝗜𝗧𝗘𝗗. #MUFC

Ed finally done it.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[Manchester United] Our past. Our present. 𝗢𝘂𝗿 𝗳𝘂𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲. ✍🇳🇴 We are delighted to announce that Ole has signed a new deal with the club!

Dark Rider

[Jamie Carragher] I love Gini but this is not right, social media is a circus & every club has clowns. Turn off your notifications & if it’s bothering you that much delete the app! He wanted more money the club said no, that’s football!

[Manchester United] This is his home. This is where he belongs. Jadon Sancho is 𝗨𝗡𝗜𝗧𝗘𝗗. #MUFC

Ed finally done it.

Will reserve judgment until later but I have my doubts if he can be successful in the EPL. English clubs chasing English players is nothing new and Sancho benefitted greatly from not only the freeflowing nature of Bundesliga but also having so much young, energetic talent around him. Nobody on Manchester United is at the level of Haaland. Never mind how different the EPL plays compared to the Bundesliga.

Will be interesting to see if he can make the transition.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Will reserve judgment until later but I have my doubts if he can be successful in the EPL. English clubs chasing English players is nothing new and Sancho benefitted greatly from not only the freeflowing nature of Bundesliga but also having so much young, energetic talent around him. Nobody on Manchester United is at the level of Haaland. Never mind how different the EPL plays compared to the Bundesliga.

You don't think Fernandes, Greenwood, Rashford, Pogba (if he stays) and Cavani are good options for him to link up with?

I don't think it's guaranteed that any player will make a smooth transition when moving between leagues but I'm pretty excited about Sancho.

DKehoe

Gold Member

I wasn’t expecting this in May.

Seemed like it's been getting closer and closer for a while now and was reaching the finish line. Feels like it was in everyone's interest to get it sorted quickly so that they could all move on.

You don't think Fernandes, Greenwood, Rashford, Pogba (if he stays) and Cavani are good options for him to link up with?

I don't think it's guaranteed that any player will make a smooth transition when moving between leagues but I'm pretty excited about Sancho.
Different type of players, completely different style. The freeflowing Bundesliga style really benefits Sancho and having other players around him who were part of that smooth, transition style attack. Players like Haaland and Reyna. Not that they're better than the United players, just entirely different. Fernandes and Pogba are great, obviously, but Rashford and Greenwood are EPL sensations. Good enough players but severely overhyped due to being English.

If Sancho has one thing he can rely on its that the lower level of tactics in the EPL will let him run at teams more and beat his man, something he excels at a lot.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Different type of players, completely different style. The freeflowing Bundesliga style really benefits Sancho and having other players around him who were part of that smooth, transition style attack. Players like Haaland and Reyna. Not that they're better than the United players, just entirely different. Fernandes and Pogba are great, obviously, but Rashford and Greenwood are EPL sensations. Good enough players but severely overhyped due to being English.

If Sancho has one thing he can rely on its that the lower level of tactics in the EPL will let him run at teams more and beat his man, something he excels at a lot.
I think he won't get the time on the ball that he did in the Bundesliga but his close control and ability to get by defenders is (hopefully) going to cause a lot of problems. United do excel on the break so that aspect will still be there for Sancho. Also United's attack will now be a lot more balanced. For the last few seasons almost everything they did came from the left hand side, which made them pretty predictable. Sounds like you watch more Bundesliga than me though so you've probably seen more Sancho than me. I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on though, as this post probably shows haha.

I think every decent English player is overhyped to some degree. Although, because of his lack of PL minutes , Sancho doesn't seem to get that to the same degree, despite his ridiculous stats. I'd expect that will now change now that he will be playing in a league English pundits bother to watch. But I do think Greenwood is an incredible talent and one United should be planning their future around. As I said a while back in this thread, I really hope Rashford gets some time to heal up. He's been playing through injuries for so long now.

I think every decent English player is overhyped to some degree. Although, because of his lack of PL minutes , Sancho doesn't seem to get that to the same degree, despite his ridiculous stats. I'd expect that will now change now that he will be playing in a league English pundits bother to watch. But I do think Greenwood is an incredible talent and one United should be planning their future around. As I said a while back in this thread, I really hope Rashford gets some time to heal up. He's been playing through injuries for so long now.
Happens to a few nations but England is pretty intense. I'm not saying Greenwood and/or Rashford are bad players. They're good. But I don't get the feeling they'll be elite players. Time will tell.

Agree on Rashford. Any hopes of him progressing and improving start with him being healthy. The EPL schedule and amount of fixtures don't help. The quality vs quantity approach is something I think they need to look into. Also, reduce the amount of EPL clubs by 2 imo to lessen the schedule. It's too much.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Happens to a few nations but England is pretty intense. I'm not saying Greenwood and/or Rashford are bad players. They're good. But I don't get the feeling they'll be elite players. Time will tell.

Agree on Rashford. Any hopes of him progressing and improving start with him being healthy. The EPL schedule and amount of fixtures don't help. The quality vs quantity approach is something I think they need to look into. Also, reduce the amount of EPL clubs by 2 imo to lessen the schedule. It's too much.
The English pundits have parroted into the Premier League's "best league in the world" marketing so much that they've bought into it to the point where they think that succeeding anywhere else doesn't mean anything. I think at least part of that is just laziness at not watching anything else though. In the run up to the Euros I remember seeing German football writers losing their minds at seeing English pundits leaving Sancho out of their prospective England squads. Someone reminded me the other day about when England played Germany in the 2010 World Cup and The Sun ran an article about how no one would swap anyone on the England team for a single player on the German one because they were a team of nobodies. Also that "Phillip Lahm may be a decent right back, but he's no Glen Johnson"

I think another of the benefits of Sancho coming in (and apparently Varane) is that it will allow for more squad rotation. Sancho can play on either wing or as a #10 so there's more versatility there allowing players to switch around for different games so they aren't playing the same lineup every time. And Lindelof will go from starting every game to being a decent enough backup, which is maybe more level he should be at on a squad that's looking to challenge for titles. I do hope Tuanzebe still gets a good amount of minutes though. There's a lot of potential there and he's been really unlucky with injuries over the past few seasons.

Solskjaer clearly doesn't trust basically any of the players beyond his starting XI and so guys like Rashford, Fernandes and Maguire were clocking up a ridiculous number of minutes. I think it was two seasons in a row that Maguire played more minutes of professional football than anyone else on the planet. And Rashford continuing to play so much despite clearly being injured was irresponsible. With how insane the schedule is going to be over the next couple of years I really worry there's going to be a lot of burnouts and needless injuries.

As far as Rashford and Greenwood's potential, I think Greenwood is the more likely of the two to be world class but both could be excellent. But as a United fan I'm obviously pretty biased, especially towards academy players like those two.

Last edited:

Ludicrous Display

Neo Member
Greenwood has everything required to make it, Rashford hmm. He's absolutely electric and unplayable when he's on it but he's too often off it and a greedy bastard to boot. There's no excuses for United and Ole now if they get Varane over the line, can't be miles off a title challenge again with that squad.

DKehoe

Gold Member

£34m? United actually managed to negotiate a price down!? It’s always the other way around. Strange to not see them fuck it up.

The English pundits have parroted into the Premier League's "best league in the world" marketing so much that they've bought into it to the point where they think that succeeding anywhere else doesn't mean anything. I think at least part of that is just laziness at not watching anything else though. In the run up to the Euros I remember seeing German football writers losing their minds at seeing English pundits leaving Sancho out of their prospective England squads. Someone reminded me the other day about when England played Germany in the 2010 World Cup and The Sun ran an article about how no one would swap anyone on the England team for a single player on the German one because they were a team of nobodies. Also that "Phillip Lahm may be a decent right back, but he's no Glen Johnson"

I think another of the benefits of Sancho coming in (and apparently Varane) is that it will allow for more squad rotation. Sancho can play on either wing or as a #10 so there's more versatility there allowing players to switch around for different games so they aren't playing the same lineup every time. And Lindelof will go from starting every game to being a decent enough backup, which is maybe more level he should be at on a squad that's looking to challenge for titles. I do hope Tuanzebe still gets a good amount of minutes though. There's a lot of potential there and he's been really unlucky with injuries over the past few seasons.

Solskjaer clearly doesn't trust basically any of the players beyond his starting XI and so guys like Rashford, Fernandes and Maguire were clocking up a ridiculous number of minutes. I think it was two seasons in a row that Maguire played more minutes of professional football than anyone else on the planet. And Rashford continuing to play so much despite clearly being injured was irresponsible. With how insane the schedule is going to be over the next couple of years I really worry there's going to be a lot of burnouts and needless injuries.

As far as Rashford and Greenwood's potential, I think Greenwood is the more likely of the two to be world class but both could be excellent. But as a United fan I'm obviously pretty biased, especially towards academy players like those two.
I definitely think the English "best league in the world" mentality and marketing has been some of it. I also think that coming off the Golden Generation that won absolutely nothing, they are excited to get young superstars and the increased visibility around the league and their players has created that hype, all-or-nothing, the next "beckham" media that prevails today for clicks. Also the explosion in popularity of the transfer market and social media feeding that is partly to blame.

Agree 100% on squad rotation although I don't know how much of that changes Solskjaer trusting more players. I just think he's one of those managers who trusts some players a lot.

I just don't see it with Greenwood but he's young so he's got all the time in the world.

Dark Rider

Now after the move he will be allowed decent time (or a starter) for the English NT.

Don't for get that they are splashing the cash this season and next season so he might get more energetic players around him.

Greenwood has everything required to make it, Rashford hmm. He's absolutely electric and unplayable when he's on it but he's too often off it and a greedy bastard to boot. There's no excuses for United and Ole now if they get Varane over the line, can't be miles off a title challenge again with that squad.

Welcome to The Football Thread :messenger_beaming:
Who do you support? :pie_thinking:

£34m? United actually managed to negotiate a price down!? It’s always the other way around. Strange to not see them fuck it up.

Do you really believe it will be that low? I don't.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Do you really believe it will be that low? I don't.
Who knows for sure. With these things you rarely get a definitive figure. But Ornstein is pretty reliable and United were in a stronger position than Madrid. But whatever the figure is the transfer benefits everyone. United get a good defender on a price that's cheap for his status, Madrid get something for someone who could have walked away for free in a year, and can use that money to put towards Mbappe, and Varane gets to leave on good terms and try something new in his career.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[Dvinuesa] Atletico still thinks that Barcelona is bluffing with the Griezmann issue. They know that once August commences, Barca's despair over Messi's case will increase. If something concrete arrives for Saúl, they'll put the matter behind them, buy a striker and let Laporta solve his problems

Dark Rider

Who knows for sure. With these things you rarely get a definitive figure. But Ornstein is pretty reliable and United were in a stronger position than Madrid. But whatever the figure is the transfer benefits everyone. United get a good defender on a price that's cheap for his status, Madrid get something for someone who could have walked away for free in a year, and can use that money to put towards Mbappe, and Varane gets to leave on good terms and try something new in his career.

We don't have to sell thought and we don't need to and I don't think we really want to either. The thing though with us is that if the player want to leave and name a club and the player have served us well then we tend to make it easy for them so no complications and also a fair price just as a good will move to both the player and the new club. I think a good will price is no less than 45M though so 35M is too low imho.

Prison Mike

Banned
Cheers, a little obscure club called Manchester United, you might have heard of them.
Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

Dark Rider

[Football Daily] Alvaro Montero: “Jules Kounde's dream is to play for Real Madrid, but he would most likely join them next summer.”

I'm all for it.

Dark Rider

[Fabrizio Romano] Erling Haaland to @SkySportDE about Chelsea bid rumours: “Before yesterday I haven't talked to my agent in a month... you’ve to tell me. But I hope they are just rumors, as €175 million would be a lot of money for one person”.

Dark Rider

[Bianconeri Zone] Allegri: "Captain and vice-captain are decided according to years at the club. Chiellini is the oldest, Bonucci has left, so it resets, if he wants the armband he will need to buy one and go and play on the streets, but Leo knows that."

Top Bottom