• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2021/2022 |OT| The battle to survive, rebuilding after disaster.

DKehoe

Gold Member
BZoi0SV.jpg

City are back x
How is the safe standing?

Dark Rider

Manchester City will honour club legends Vincent Kompany and David Silva by unveiling statues of the pair, this week, ahead of the clash with Arsenal. A statue of Sergio Aguero has also been commissioned but fans will soon get their first view of the sculptures carved to capture Kompany and Silva.

Dark Rider

I forgot to ask people for their predictions for the season, so feel free to post :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

My prediction for my own club is that we will win nothing and it will be a painful and disastrous of a season.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I forgot to ask people for their predictions for the season, so feel free to post :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

My prediction for my own club is that we will win nothing and it will be a painful and disastrous of a season.
What club do you support again?

I think City, Chelsea and Liverpool will battle for the title, with United in 4th.

I think City will win the League Cup… again.

PSG won’t win the CL. It’ll be some random team no one is talking about again like Chelsea last year. Maybe Bayern this season?

Dark Rider

Bayern Munich have set a new record for goals in consecutive games among teams playing in Europe's top five leagues, breaking Real Madrid's previous record of scoring in 73 league games in a row (2016/17).

:messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Dark Rider

What club do you support again?

I think City, Chelsea and Liverpool will battle for the title, with United in 4th.

I think City will win the League Cup… again.

PSG won’t win the CL. It’ll be some random team no one is talking about again like Chelsea last year. Maybe Bayern this season?

It is Real Madrid :messenger_beaming:

I think PSG will be more of a threat this season in the CL unless their players clash with each other.

Banjo64

cumsessed
It is Real Madrid :messenger_beaming:

I think PSG will be more of a threat this season in the CL unless their players clash with each other.
If Madrid don’t win the League, who do you think will? I think Barcelona are in shambles and won’t win dick this season. It’d take a Herculean effort from Atleti to win back to back titles.

Dark Rider

[OptaPaolo] 50 - José Mourinho has become the fastest manager to reach 50 Serie A wins (77 games) in the three points for a win era (since 1994-95). The Portuguese coach is also the fastest manager to have reached 50 wins both in Premier League (63 games) and in LaLiga (62). Perfectionist.

:pie_thinking:

Dark Rider

If Madrid don’t win the League, who do you think will? I think Barcelona are in shambles and won’t win dick this season. It’d take a Herculean effort from Atleti to win back to back titles.

Yes Atlético Madrid in fact are favorites sadly. We are far from being in a form capable to win the league.

DKehoe

Gold Member

Genuinely puzzling how pundits can keep thinking that buying a striker is the solution to every team's problems.

Kane would be a big improvement for City in an area they are relatively weak in, so it makes total sense for them to go for him. United clearly need a defensive midfielder.

Dark Rider

Genuinely puzzling how pundits can keep thinking that buying a striker is the solution to every team's problems.

Kane would be a big improvement for City in an area they are relatively weak in, so it makes total sense for them to go for him. United clearly need a defensive midfielder.

It is the culture built into those channels, any new pundit joining get absorbed by the channel culture. There are exceptions of course but the exception get hammered to either get with the program or get treated by the channel other staff like an idiot (ironic).

Dark Rider

[Diario AS] Manchester United have overtaken Chelsea as prime contenders to land Saul. Negotiations close to being completed. Chelsea not completely out yet

DKehoe

Gold Member
I'm not happy about the price if it is accurate, especially with a player known to throw tantrums.
I'd rather wait a year and get him next season. Yes it will not be "free" then because he will get a signing bonus (which is stupid thing to happen but it is the norm now sadly).
Seems crazy to spend that much when you can just wait a year. Waiting a year seems like it's in everyone's best interest anyway. Madrid don't have to spend as much money, PSG have a better chance of winning that Champions League they desperately want (especially going into the year of the Qatar World Cup) and Mbappe maybe gets to finish up his time in Paris with a Champions League title and gets to play with Messi for a year.

Dark Rider

[Sam Lee] Cristiano Ronaldo was offered to Manchester City last week however the club's focus was only on Kane. Ronaldo could be offered again but as of last week he was not an option.

Dark Rider

Seems crazy to spend that much when you can just wait a year. Waiting a year seems like it's in everyone's best interest anyway. Madrid don't have to spend as much money, PSG have a better chance of winning that Champions League they desperately want (especially going into the year of the Qatar World Cup) and Mbappe maybe gets to finish up his time in Paris with a Champions League title and gets to play with Messi for a year.

It is the good relationship with everyone policy (PSG will not feel shafted by us) here I'm sure and we did this with many players before him too. If they still refuse (and the indicated time and time again that they will) then we did our part and next season if he leave for free they can't be angry at us or blame us.

Dark Rider

[El Larguero] Nacho has suffered a muscle overload and is a serious doubt against Real Betis.

So far we are on track to beat our injuries record from last season.

Dark Rider

[Berger] Breakthrough in the negotiations between Borussia Dortmund and FC Sevilla on a Thomas Delaney transfer! Spanish reports are correct. The Danish midfielder is on his way now to Spain. Transfer fee will be €6m + add ons.

DKehoe

Gold Member

Interesting to see if this really is it settled or if Spurs are just playing hard ball. If Kane doesn't go then I wonder what City do.

Prison Mike

Banned
To be honest, I was kinda hoping City would get Kane so that it would knock them out of the running to get Haaland next year.
Kanes a great player but nowhere near the money they are asking for him. I'd love haaland to come and follow in his dad's footsteps.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Kanes a great player but nowhere near the money they are asking for him. I'd love haaland to come and follow in his dad's footsteps.
City transitioning from Aguero to Haaland would be a really efficient move. Not including this season it would mean that City could potentially have primarily relied on just two strikers to lead their line over a 20 year period (10 for Aguero, potentially around 10 for Haaland going forward). Raiola loves stirring shit, so there's no guarantee any of his clients settle anywhere for a long period but if I was City it's absolutely the move I'd make for the long-term good of the club rather than spend so much on a guy who is probably going to start declining in the somewhat near future.

I hope Solskjaer's connection with Haaland would help United's case in bringing him in. But I also wonder if you could really make the most of both Haaland and Greenwood if Greenwood is going to be a centrepiece for United's future (as he should be). Two strikers are starting to become more common again, so I suppose it's possible.

Dark Rider

Interesting to see if this really is it settled or if Spurs are just playing hard ball. If Kane doesn't go then I wonder what City do.

Key word "this summer" so maybe next year the deal will be done.

Would you be happy if the unthinkable happens and we sign C. Ronaldo?
Mate I would I think he'd be a great signing guys still a beast plus what our youngsters delap,Cole could learn from him is more than worth it.

I think there will be people in Manchester who will aggressively oppose this.

Dark Rider

[Mario Cortegana] After the first offer from Real Madrid, there is no response from PSG. Real Madrid privately maintains that the offer won't be raised. Khelaifi is not in favor of selling, Leonardo want to sell. But the EMIR makes the final decision.

[RMC Sport] Leonardo announces that Mbappé wants to leave PSG: "Kylian Mbappé wants to leave, it seems clear to me. If Real Madrid makes an offer, it seems clear to me ... I give a position, which, I think, is clear for everyone"

[Le Parisien] PSG’s price for Mbappé: €220 million

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
[Mario Cortegana] After the first offer from Real Madrid, there is no response from PSG. Real Madrid privately maintains that the offer won't be raised. Khelaifi is not in favor of selling, Leonardo want to sell. But the EMIR makes the final decision.

I don't know what's crazier. Offering €160 million for a player who will be free in a year. Or turning down €160 million for a player who will be free in a year.

Dark Rider

I don't know what's crazier. Offering €160 million for a player who will be free in a year. Or turning down €160 million for a player who will be free in a year.

It all depend on how much the seller value €160 million.
Again our offer is just our policy doing transfers and being friendly with everyone, that after the deal is done the seller don't feel cheated.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
It all depend on how much the seller value €160 million.
Again our offer is just our policy doing transfers and being friendly with everyone, that after the deal is done the seller don't feel cheated.
I guess that's the thing. Money isn't really a thing for PSG. Winning a Champions League going into the Qatar World Cup is exactly the sort of PR Qatar want.

Dark Rider

I guess that's the thing. Money isn't really a thing for PSG. Winning a Champions League going into the Qatar World Cup is exactly the sort of PR Qatar want.

There is a lot of pressure on them this year to win it, I'm looking forward to see how they fare :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
What about offering €180m, because that’s the bid Madrid have made this afternoon! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mendy has been suspended by City. Arrested and charged with 4 counts of rape, 3 separate victims.

DKehoe

Gold Member
What about offering €180m, because that’s the bid Madrid have made this afternoon! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mendy has been suspended by City. Arrested and charged with 4 counts of rape, 3 separate victims.
I've seen people speculating that this is Madrid knowing any bid won't be accepted and just want to be seen to be making big moves to keep their fans happy. For their own good I hope that is the case because it's fucking mad to do that for a player with only a year left.

Awful news about the Mendy charges. I don't want to speculate too much on a case that hasn't concluded but sounds grim.

DKehoe

Gold Member
City and PSG drawn together in the Champions League? That's gonna be interesting. Especially if City do get Ronaldo.

United getting a chance to make up for that Villarreal loss by being drawn with them. Atalanta are a fun team too so that should be good.

Top Bottom