• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2021/2022 |OT| The battle to survive, rebuilding after disaster.

T8SC

61723986.jpg

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I’m not liking the begging placards being held up ‘xxxxx can I have your shirt’ at every game / ground now.

Dark Rider

I’m not liking the begging placards being held up ‘xxxxx can I have your shirt’ at every game / ground now.

The media romanticized the players responding to it so the fans feel they have a better chance to get a shirt doing it. The players also may feel they can get favourable media coverage when they respond to a placard where as the media will ignore giving away the shirt if it was just to a random fan with no placard/sign/shirt begging for it.

In short: blame the media.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Dislocated ankle but the way he landed looked like he had snapped it in half in real time I guess that’s why they didn’t show the replays.

Dark Rider

[David Ornstein] Exclusive: Paul Pogba leaning towards signing new Manchester United contract. Saturday had major impact on 28yo’s thinking over future. Many factors to consider but now a genuine chance that once talks resume an extension may follow

Dark Rider

[Melchor Ruiz] Bale has suffered a hamstring injury on his right leg. It is expected to be a long-term injury and there's no specified time when he's expected to be back at this point

I hope he get well fast but honestly I can't wait for his contract to expire.

DKehoe

United were incredibly conservative after the red card. You can’t say Young Boys didn’t deserve to win it.

Dark Rider

[Fabrizio Romano] PSG director Leonardo: “We didn’t like what Real Madrid did for Mbappé. We’ve not even received the final bid on last day. But honestly we never thought of selling Kylian… the offer was not enough from our point of view. It was less than what we paid for him”.

If true, did they turn off their fax machine? :pie_thinking:

Dark Rider

[Paul Hirst] Pep Guardiola on Wednesdays comments “I am not going to apologize for what I said. What I said was that we need their support. I was honest. Did I say after the game that I was disappointed because the stadium was not full? Interpretation is interpretation“

Is it really heating up between Pep and the fans?

Banjo64

cumsessed
[Paul Hirst] Pep Guardiola on Wednesdays comments “I am not going to apologize for what I said. What I said was that we need their support. I was honest. Did I say after the game that I was disappointed because the stadium was not full? Interpretation is interpretation“

Is it really heating up between Pep and the fans?

No.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Bundesliga fears more disadvantage with the new upcoming FFP Rules due their 50+1 Rule. In the new FFP , Investor can cover all their losses and not only 30M [ Sportbild ]

This is really bad reform.
It’s not. It’s just sad and convenient that as soon as Barcelona and a lot of the ‘established’ European clubs like Juventus are starting to feel the squeeze financially outside investment is all of the sudden great again.

It’s almost as if FFP was nothing to do with financial fairness and was all about preventing new challengers to the old guard, cementing their place at the top forever (no more teams doing what Chelsea, PSG and City did).

It says it all that FFP did nothing to stop Barcelona’s wage bill escalating to ludicrous heights and has nothing about DEBT in its legislation.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sterling sticking the place out every time he steps on the pitch for City. If we give him a new contract we want our heads fucking testing.

Dark Rider

It’s not. It’s just sad and convenient that as soon as Barcelona and a lot of the ‘established’ European clubs like Juventus are starting to feel the squeeze financially outside investment is all of the sudden great again.

It’s almost as if FFP was nothing to do with financial fairness and was all about preventing new challengers to the old guard, cementing their place at the top forever (no more teams doing what Chelsea, PSG and City did).

It says it all that FFP did nothing to stop Barcelona’s wage bill escalating to ludicrous heights and has nothing about DEBT in its legislation.

Despite the name of FFP if you read the content you will see it clear as day that it is there to make sure clubs do not go bankrupt nothing more. The thing is it didn't trust wealthy owners that are injecting money today that they will be injecting money in the future so it wanted to make sure that the clubs are actually able to source their budgets on their own.

In Barcelona case they were actually able to source their budget but they were on the edge of it, then they got a bad president coupled with an unforeseen global pandemic and that kicked them clear over the edge. FFP does not stop you from going near the edge because you are still within your means and allowed to exert yourself to the best of your ability to achieve more.

The thing is with this whole thing clubs like PSG, Manchester City and Chelsea got owners that I expect to continue to support their clubs for a long time but if clubs became assets of business then slowly but surely the sport as a whole will be dismantled to be optimized for what those investment firms think will make the best money for themselves, yes including asset stripping and dismantling clubs. For a preview look at how the sport "franchises" are handled in the USA and how their sports rules and everything about it is changed to suite advertisers and interest groups..etc

I maintain that this is bad for a sport as a sport.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[Albert Rogé] Ronald Koeman: "What are we supposed to do? Play 'tiki taki' when there's no space? We've tried to win another way"

Barcelona don't like the results for sure but they also hate what Koeman says in his interviews, they will sack him.

Dark Rider

Carlo Ancelotti: “The future of Real Madrid will be secure with players like Valverde, Camavinga, Blanco and so on. And the same goes for the present with Modrić, Kroos and Casemiro. The midfield is very strong is all aspects”.

I'm hopeful.

DKehoe

They're (allegedly) not wrong there. The Der Spiegel stuff makes for a sobering read. It's the main reason I've not been as enthusiastic about his return as other United fans. Yet there's all these pundits and people in the media talking about how he's not only a great player (which is clearly undeniable) but also a great person and someone kids and young players should be looking up to as an example. When you look at posts on twitter that talk about the incident the replies are a flood of Ronaldo fans who have fully embraced the cult of personality around him.

Top Bottom